EuroKings

Bogi's not surprising rookie season give me the chance to open this thread.
Why don't we sign more "European" players? I said European with apostrophes because I'm not talking about passport but basketball culture.
Usually they're European as well, not all the time. Like Anthony Parker signed by the Raptors years ago or Ingles signed by the Jazz.
It's not about the talent, but the way they play.
Euroleague is full of solid players, not stars, who deserve a chance.

Not an expert by any means but from my simple POV I reckon cost plays a large part. The truth of the matter is that most of these "solid" players in Euroleague would find themselves as bench warmers in the NBA, and the really good ones like Bogs, AK47 etc demand a rather hefty salary.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You would like to take the Spurs approach I see. That works only when you have an established star or two and then you fill in the rest of the roster with complimentary pieces, and bringing in International players wouldn't be the worst idea because there is plenty of talent to be had but the Kings are not in that stage to just keep bringing in role players.

So many mixed experiences with international players. When Euroleague stars like Spanoulis, Navarro, Huertas or Bjelica couldn't find their way , how can GM's trust just solid or good Euroleague players? But actually, almost all good European players like Dirk, Jokic, Parker and others came from nowhere. And some of the talents like Milicic, Bargnani, who failed. In my opinion, Euro players are legit if they come to the NBA in the early stage of their careers. Cases when players come from Europe after years and years playing there and then succeed in the NBA, are very rare (Joe Ingles, who fits perfectly in Jazz system).

So many mixed experiences with international players. When Euroleague stars like Spanoulis, Navarro, Huertas or Bjelica couldn't find their way , how can GM's trust just solid or good Euroleague players? But actually, almost all good European players like Dirk, Jokic, Parker and others came from nowhere. And some of the talents like Milicic, Bargnani, who failed. In my opinion, Euro players are legit if they come to the NBA in the early stage of their careers. Cases when players come from Europe after years and years playing there and then succeed in the NBA, are very rare (Joe Ingles, who fits perfectly in Jazz system).
This reminds me one of those fake Rudy Fernandez Twitter accounts or something that was pretty funny back in the day

Not an expert by any means but from my simple POV I reckon cost plays a large part. The truth of the matter is that most of these "solid" players in Euroleague would find themselves as bench warmers in the NBA, and the really good ones like Bogs, AK47 etc demand a rather hefty salary.
Joe Ingles wasn't a star player in Euroleague, just a solid one who translated all his potential to the NBA as well. Bertans as well.
Ingles wasn't expensive, Bertans still isn't. It's not surprising they're playing well for Spurs and Jazz, two teams which are playing European kind of basketball.
Snyder was Messina assistant coach at CSKA, Popovich is... Popovich and Messina his assistant. You can see the bond.

It depends by the basketball you want to play. Europeans never fails in Utah and San Antonio, guess why?
My idea works (or I guess it works) if you play team basketball like it's played in Europe. Of course, if you play iso ball it's not gonna work.
And I mean already proven players like the one I named. For example, Hezonja has some potential but he's not proven not even in Europe so he can fail easily.
Same for Milicic, who definetely has the talent but the "culture" you get if you play in a top European team.

You would like to take the Spurs approach I see. That works only when you have an established star or two and then you fill in the rest of the roster with complimentary pieces, and bringing in International players wouldn't be the worst idea because there is plenty of talent to be had but the Kings are not in that stage to just keep bringing in role players.
I get your point and if you want to be successful in the NBA, I agree with you. You need stars first.
I think if you play smart basketball it's easier you get a star out of the draft.
Kawhi Leonard is Kawhi Leonard because he grew up as a basketball player in that organization.

Bogi's not surprising rookie season give me the chance to open this thread.
Why don't we sign more "European" players? I said European with apostrophes because I'm not talking about passport but basketball culture.
Usually they're European as well, not all the time. Like Anthony Parker signed by the Raptors years ago or Ingles signed by the Jazz.
It's not about the talent, but the way they play.
Euroleague is full of solid players, not stars, who deserve a chance.
I totally forgot to name PJ Tucker, who played in Isreael, Italy, Greece and Germany
Now he's like one of the most useful role players in the league.

I totally forgot to name PJ Tucker, who played in Isreael, Italy, Greece and Germany
Now he's like one of the most useful role players in the league.
He flopped out of the NBA before those stints overseas originally was a late 1st rd pick by the nets i wanna say 25th..