ESPN: George Karl fired (edited title)

I

Im Still Ballin

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15195959/sacramento-kings-fire-coach-george-karl

The Sacramento Kings are planning to fire coach George Karl on Thursday, sources have confirmed to ESPN.

The Sacramento Bee first reported Wednesday that Karl will be fired one day after the Kings' season finale against the Houston Rockets on Wednesday night.

ESPN's Marc Stein reported in early February that the Kings decided against firing Karl after the coach and general manager Vlade Divac had a sit-down meeting in which Karl pledged to make some changes to address growing concerns within the organization about his defensive schemes and practice policies.

Karl also nearly lost his job in November after a public dispute with centerDeMarcus Cousins.

Heading into the finale, the Kings are 33-48 and will miss the playoffs for a 10th consecutive season despite expectations from owner Vivek Ranadive to end that drought. The team will be moving into a new arena next season.

The Kings' next coach will be their ninth since 2006-07, the most in the league in that span.

The 64-year-old Karl, who will receive the remaining $6.5 million guaranteed from his four-year contract with the Kings, was hired during the 2015 All-Star break to replace then-interim coach Tyrone Corbin. That move came before Divac was installed as the Kings' lead decision-maker.

The Kings are Karl's sixth NBA coaching job after previous stints in Cleveland, Golden State, Seattle, Milwaukee and Denver. The 2013 NBA Coach of the Year has a career record of 1,175-823 entering Wednesday's game. He also has a career playoff record of 80-105.

I

Im Still Ballin

I wish this solves our problems but in my opinion it's just been a symptom of a much deeper rooted problem. Most of you know I'm not thrilled with this move. I understand it, but I feel as though we never gave the respect a hall of fame coach deserves. Irrelevant of him as an individual, I think this sends a very bad message to all top coaches in the market.

We'll most likely have to settle for a middle tier coach. Despite what people have been saying here, George Karl is one of the most respected coaches in the league. This move to me is 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Understandable, but epitomizes what this franchise is, and what everyone including the media, sought after coaches and players think of us.

I

Im Still Ballin

Thibs is definitely off the list of candidates. He's too high value and smarter than that to come here. We could get a Lionel Hollins. Mid-low tier market value coach. Had a nice stint in Memphis. Has the race locked down so he and Demarcus will probably be cool. Maybe Scott Brooks? Perhaps he might be a little too ambitious for us. He's no Pop, but he won't get in the way of Demarcus' ego so no dramas there. On court success is another issue.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Who is leaking all this stuff man? Put their freakin head on a pike
This is a more traditional leak at least. Yesterday it leaked that Wittman was going to be fired by the Wiz. Finding that stuff out a day beforehand isn't the same sorts of constant he said, she said, so and so is unhappy, an unnamed source...stuff that has been going on for so long.

In any case, I'm glad its going to be quick. I'm hoping that means we make a quick offer to the next guy, and maybe already have somebody in mind. Try to get a jump on things while the playoff teams aren't in the running yet, and also set a tone for our offseason + if its a good enough name, maybe gain some stature amongst free agents.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I wish this solves our problems but in my opinion it's just been a symptom of a much deeper rooted problem. Most of you know I'm not thrilled with this move. I understand it, but I feel as though we never gave the respect a hall of fame coach deserves. Irrelevant of him as an individual, I think this sends a very bad message to all top coaches in the market.

We'll most likely have to settle for a middle tier coach. Despite what people have been saying here, George Karl is one of the most respected coaches in the league. This move to me is 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Understandable, but epitomizes what this franchise is, and what everyone including the media, sought after coaches and players think of us.
George Karl was a bad fit, if not a bad coach. At least in this instance. That's not to take away from any of his past accomplishments. I certainly respect his past history, but the truth is, he was a bad fit. Now as an organization you can either admit your mistake, bite the bullet and move on, or you can continue on with the soap opera that was this past season. When you make a big mistake, you can't sneak out the back door. The best way, is own up to your mistake, take the hits, and then hopefully, not make the same mistakes in the future.

Lets remember, Vlade was responsible for none of this. He didn't hire Karl, and although he's tainted by the situation, I think he deserves the right to make the choices, if he's going to be held responsible going forward. The facts are, this wasn't just about the conflict between Karl and Cousins. A lot of the players on the team were in conflict with the coach, they just wern't as public about it. While players disagreeing with the coach in not an unusual thing, it becomes more relevant when the team is underachieving. You can't fire the entire team.

Karl came to the Kings with a reputation as a tinkerer. Everywhere he's coached, he's tried to change the personnel, and to a large extent, he's been successful. But what separates good coaches from great one's, is the ability to adapt to the personnel you have. The older Karl has gotten, the more rigid he has become. He operates from the premise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He believes his way is the right way, and maybe on another team with different personnel, it might be. But it wasn't happening here, and the soap opera had to stop.

This is a more traditional leak at least. Yesterday it leaked that Wittman was going to be fired by the Wiz. Finding that stuff out a day beforehand isn't the same sorts of constant he said, she said, so and so is unhappy, an unnamed source...stuff that has been going on for so long.

In any case, I'm glad its going to be quick. I'm hoping that means we make a quick offer to the next guy, and maybe already have somebody in mind. Try to get a jump on things while the playoff teams aren't in the running yet, and also set a tone for our offseason + if its a good enough name, maybe gain some stature amongst free agents.
I'm all about us making the right hire quickly, just as long as we don't decide to hire a GM a week later.

I

Im Still Ballin

Not likely. Sacramento is a death trap for free agents and coaches. The high value ones will be smart and stay away. We might be able to throw some cash at some mid to low tier free agents, get the scraps after the big players go through. As for a coach, we definitely won't be getting the cream of the crop, that's for sure.

Thibs is definitely off the list of candidates. He's too high value and smarter than that to come here. We could get a Lionel Hollins. Mid-low tier market value coach. Had a nice stint in Memphis. Has the race locked down so he and Demarcus will probably be cool. Maybe Scott Brooks? Perhaps he might be a little too ambitious for us. He's no Pop, but he won't get in the way of Demarcus' ego so no dramas there. On court success is another issue.
As if your other posts weren't idiotic enough. Time to dust off the ignore button.

I

Im Still Ballin

George Karl was a bad fit, if not a bad coach. At least in this instance. That's not to take away from any of his past accomplishments. I certainly respect his past history, but the truth is, he was a bad fit. Now as an organization you can either admit your mistake, bite the bullet and move on, or you can continue on with the soap opera that was this past season. When you make a big mistake, you can't sneak out the back door. The best way, is own up to your mistake, take the hits, and then hopefully, not make the same mistakes in the future.

Lets remember, Vlade was responsible for none of this. He didn't hire Karl, and although he's tainted by the situation, I think he deserves the right to make the choices, if he's going to be held responsible going forward. The facts are, this wasn't just about the conflict between Karl and Cousins. A lot of the players on the team were in conflict with the coach, they just wern't as public about it. While players disagreeing with the coach in not an unusual thing, it becomes more relevant when the team is underachieving. You can't fire the entire team.

Karl came to the Kings with a reputation as a tinkerer. Everywhere he's coached, he's tried to change the personnel, and to a large extent, he's been successful. But what separates good coaches from great one's, is the ability to adapt to the personnel you have. The older Karl has gotten, the more rigid he has become. He operates from the premise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He believes his way is the right way, and maybe on another team with different personnel, it might be. But it wasn't happening here, and the soap opera had to stop.
I'm going to stop you right there, because you don't hire someone of his resume and reputation, and not let him run the show. The seeds of doubt were planted as soon as management didn't want to trade Cousins. It's what Karl wanted. We'll have to face this eventually, and on that day I'll enjoy telling everyone I told you so. He was probably promised a lot more than he got. The firing was justified, but don't act like we got to see the best George had to offer. After all, this is Sacramento. Where careers come to die.

I

Im Still Ballin

As if your other posts weren't idiotic enough. Time to dust off the ignore button.
What's unreasonable about that post? Do you really think Thibs will want to come here? He will be able to get much better offers with franchises that have reputation, promising futures, better rosters and a sense of job security.

Not likely. Sacramento is a death trap for free agents and coaches. The high value ones will be smart and stay away. We might be able to throw some cash at some mid to low tier free agents, get the scraps after the big players go through. As for a coach, we definitely won't be getting the cream of the crop, that's for sure.

Yeah, when Vivek was calling the shots.

The George Karl hiring was the last move Vivek made before Vlade arrived. That snakes head will be rolling within the next 24 hours. Rome wasn't built in a day. Let Vlade do his thing. Hire Morway, hire the right coach and turn this thing around. I know I shouldn't but I have a good feeling about this off season.

I'm going to stop you right there, because you don't hire someone of his resume and reputation, and not let him run the show. The seeds of doubt were planted as soon as management didn't want to trade Cousins. It's what Karl wanted. We'll have to face this eventually, and on that day I'll enjoy telling everyone I told you so. He was probably promised a lot more than he got. The firing was justified, but don't act like we got to see the best George had to offer. After all, this is Sacramento. Where careers come to die.
The NBA is a players league, not a coaches league, like the NFL.

You win with the Best Talent, not the Best Coaches.

It was a bad fit from the start. Coach Karl is a uptempo, small ball coach. The Kings had the most dominant big man in the NBA. The pieces never fit from the start.

But, you don't trade a top ten talent to satisfy an old, old school coach.

You fire the coach and build around your 25-26 yr old top ten talent!!!

I

Im Still Ballin

It was a bad fit from the start. Coach Karl is a uptempo, small ball coach. The Kings had the most dominant big man in the NBA. The pieces never fit from the start.

You illustrated my point. Karl wanted to trade Cousins. But maybe Karl knew nothing about basketball. Maybe he didn't understand the greatness of Demarcus Cousins. I'm excited for another lottery bound Demarcus led season.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I agree. The Kings need to resolve the head coaching position and the GM or assistant GM position quickly. Vlade, and the powers that be, would have to living in limbo to not have some candidates lined up for both positions. It's possible, and probable that they've already had conversations. The combine is only weeks away. (may 11th) Player workouts will begin soon, closely followed by the draft. ( june 23rd ) Then freeagency starts. Important decisions need to be made, so the sooner Vlade has his team together, and they all get on the same page, the better.

I think getting one of the perceived, top head coaching candidates may prove to be difficult. Regardless of how we may view George Karl, he's revered around the league, and the national perception is, he's been mistreated and abused. The truth doesn't matter, its all about perception. So Vlade may have to pull a rabbit out of the hat. I think it will either be a lead NBA assistant coach, a fired and yet unproven coach that wants and needs another chance ( Blatt anyone) , or an up coming, ambitious and creative college coach. Your guess is as good as mine. Hey, what's Musslehead doing now?

I

Im Still Ballin

Yep. Wow. We can't even get a chance at Scott Brooks.

I'd take Blatt out of that list. If he thought what he dealt with at Cleveland was bad.... I'll just leave it at that. No chance at Blatt.

One of those assistant coaches could be okay. Nothing to write home about. It'll be funny if we sign Del Negro

I'd bet the leak is Karl if I was a betting man. The spin is sympathetic to Karl (utter BS that he didn't know who was coming on the trip - that is just spin to make the team look bad) and includes the statement "Karl is aware of the timing".

Who else but Karl would 'leak' in this fashion?

Face what exactly?

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Your explanation is a little too simplistic for me. You imply that the coach doesn't matter. That only the players and the talent level matter, but then you make the case that the Kings had the talent, had the players, but the coach screwed it up. Therefore, to these old eyes, the coach does matter. I will admit that regardless of the coach, you have to have the talent. But to win consistently, and become a contender, you need a very good coach. I think the coach has to fit the personnel, or vice versa, and the better the fit, and the better the talent, the better the team. It's simple, but yet complicated. Getting the exact right mix is part doing your homework, and part luck. Boy are the Kings due for some luck.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't mind The Irritant's head on a pike.

Anyways!

The article mentions (I'm going by the yahoo article, so taken with a grain of salt) that Thibs and the other top tier available coaches have no interest in this gig. Which is disappointing, but not surprising.

Mentions we're interested in Blatt, which I like. Dude got a raw deal in Cleveland.

I still think we'll end up with Jackson. He's a Vivek man-crush. And Vivek always gets his man-crush!

Edit: steelevt beat me to it with the excerpt on who we might be after as HC!

Last edited: