End of an era: Jerry Reynolds stepping down as color commentator

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I had a feeling this was coming. I'll miss Jerry - his color commentary and his silly nicknames have always made me chuckle. Hopefully he is broadcasting the game tonight. I might not be able to watch it live, but I'll definitely be recording it for one last chance at listening to the Jerryisms.

I wish Jerry the best for the future, and may he never leave home without a pair of pants again!

And, of course, if he wanted to join KF.com and throw his Jerryisms around during the game threads, I for one would be ecstatic! ;)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Even though I've kind of fallen out of love with the franchise for the time being, Jerry Reynolds has had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I'll miss him and his goofy mannerisms and commentary I've grown to know over pretty much my entire life.

Here's to a long and happy retirement for him. Cheers, Jerry. <3

((On a selfish note, can Grant go packing as well?))

The losing has finally gotten to him
Seriously though, I've always loved Jerry. Nice guy and he makes me laugh
Doubt it and I wouldn't make assumptions of another man's convictions especially Jerry "Mr. Kings" Reynolds. I would love to have Jason Ross replace him over DC personally who would be better serving to the franchise on the practice floor and behind the scenes. Jerry you are a Sacramento LEGEND and a hero in my eyes thank you.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I would love to have Jason Ross replace him over DC personally who would be better serving to the franchise on the practice floor and behind the scenes.
I'd actually like to see what Kayte can do as a broadcaster.

Jerry you are a Sacramento LEGEND and a hero in my eyes thank you.
Ditto. Somehow my initial post in the thread neglected a thank you, so I'll fix it here: Thank you, Jerry!!!

Doubt it and I wouldn't make assumptions of another man's convictions especially Jerry "Mr. Kings" Reynolds. I would love to have Jason Ross replace him over DC personally who would be better serving to the franchise on the practice floor and behind the scenes. Jerry you are a Sacramento LEGEND and a hero in my eyes thank you.
Lol what?

Id like to see a rotation of guys calling the game so the viewpoint doesnt get stale...i liked the change up of Doug on the roads and jerry at home. As mentioned, Kayte or J Ross orbeven Jim Kousmore and Ham would be welcomed in a rotation.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I had a feeling this was coming. I'll miss Jerry - his color commentary and his silly nicknames have always made me chuckle. Hopefully he is broadcasting the game tonight. I might not be able to watch it live, but I'll definitely be recording it for one last chance at listening to the Jerryisms.

I wish Jerry the best for the future, and may he never leave home without a pair of pants again!

And, of course, if he wanted to join KF.com and throw his Jerryisms around during the game threads, I for one would be ecstatic! ;)
Jerry is pretty proud of his absence on social media. I truly doubt if he's gonna retire and change that. ;)

I wish he and Mrs. Reynolds every happiness in their retirement. He's earned it. Never a hint of scandal, never a cruel word uttered, never a fan disappointed. He was and is a class act. Yes, his comments sometimes drove me nuts but in the same way a beloved uncle's corny jokes would do. My dad came from another very small town in Indiana. I lost Dad in 1984; listening to Jerry all these years I heard more than one expression that was familiar and bittersweet.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Any comment of Grant notwithstanding, and there are other places for those IMHO, this is gonna be a tough night for Grant. He and Jerry are more than just broadcast partners; it's obvious they're friends. I think the end of tonight's game is going to be a lot like the last game of the season the year they thought the Kings were gone.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree, but I actually think Vince would be great at it. He is very well spoken and has a lot charisma. Any time he has ever joined a broadcast he has been nails.
Note: Play by play and color commentary are two entirely different things, requiring different skills. The very skills that make a player a good commentator work against them as a PBP broadcaster. ;)

Note: Play by play and color commentary are two entirely different things, requiring different skills. The very skills that make a player a good commentator work against them as a PBP broadcaster. ;)
Yeah, it almost falls in line with being a news anchor. Of the former players brought up through the ranks and that spent time with the Kings broadcasting/pregame team one person I think could make the transition to full time play by play with a team would be Kara Lawson. I've seen her on a variety of outlets since her time with the Kings ended and she seems to have the right set of skills.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
would of been nice to see Napear follow him out the door but with Christie in as a replacement, maybe the commentary will be a little better but I won't hold my breath

I’m going to miss him on the broadcasts - despite the fact that his routine gets old at times. Jerry is the Duke Kahanamoku of the Sacramento Kings. Perfect for an ambassador role.