Emeka Okafur

Emeka Okafur is a restricted free agent, and is looking at taking the one year qualifying offer to become unrestricted next year. Charlotte, looks to be seeking a sign and trade, however, to get something in return now. Would they be interested in any of the Kings players?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a.../okafor_ready_to_move_on_away_from_charlotte/#

Kings Out:

Ron Artest
Sheldon Williams

Kings In:

Emeka Ofafur

Bobcats Out:

Emeka Okafur

Bobcats In:

Ron Artest
Sheldon Williams

Why Kings do this trade: Trade Ron Artest for a young PF/C! Gives minutes to Francisco and John at the 3, and adds the motivation to never see Kenny Thomas or Shareef Abdur Rahim on the court for the Kings again. Emeka is a solid rebounder, and a good defender. He would look great in a young three man big rotation with Spencer Hawes and Jason Thompson.

Why the Kings don't do this: Maybe they really like Sheldon Williams and think he can bring what Okafur can for a cheaper price. Emeka also has had some knee trouble, so that could scare them off.

Why the Bobcats do this: Talent upgrade. Sheldon masks what Emeka brought to the table, and Ron would add defensive toughness, leadership, and an extra scoring punch. They've been young for so long, they're trying to win now with Larry Brown.

Why the Bobcats don't do this: They might be looking at better offers for Okafur. This would also make their front line paper thin...

Kings new lineup:

PG Beno Udrih/Sean Singletary
SG Kevin Martin/Francisco Garcia/Quincy Douby
SF John Salmons/Francisco Garcia/Patrick Ewing Jr.?
PF Emeka Okafur/Jason Thompson/Mikki Moore
C Brad Miller/Spencer Hawes/Okafur/Moore

lets take a look at a few things starting with there potential depth chart.

1.Felton/boykins
2.Richardon/carroll
3.wallace/artest
4.Artest/sheldon
5.mohammed/Hollins

I honestly dont know how that works out for them.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
lets take a look at a few things starting with there potential depth chart.

1.Felton/boykins
2.Richardon/carroll
3.wallace/artest
4.Artest/sheldon
5.mohammed/Hollins

I honestly dont know how that works out for them.
Yeah, I thought of the same thing. I mean what do you do with Wallace and Artest at the same position. Artest can fill in at the PF spot once in a while, but he can't play there all the time. I just don't think it works for them.

What would work, would be Miller straight across. It would be an upgrade over what they would have left.

This was just a suggested trade. The principle is to try to trade for Okafur to have a young rotation of bigs, Spencer, Jason, Emeka. I'd really prefer to send them Brad, and maybe try to get Felton.:).

PS (They do have Augustine now for a PG)

I'll pass on Okafor. Not because he isn't good, he is. But he's not worth a near max contract that he's seeking. Let some other team overpays him.

Entity

Hall of Famer
i'm sorry but shelden is not even close to Okafor. He has averaged a double double every year since he came into the league not to mention almost 2 blks a game.

This guy would be a great pickup. Sign and trade Brad Mller and a filler (Shelden, 2nd round picks) for Okafor. Then do another sign and trade for eitehr Andre Igouldala or Josh Smith for Ron Artest and a filler like Francisco Garcia. Our line- up would be great for the future:

PG: Beno/ Singletary
SG: Kevin/ Douby
SF: Igloudala or Smith/ Salmons
PF: Okafor/ Thompson/ Moore/ Shareef/ Thomas
C: Spencer/ Moore

A

AriesMar27

why would the hawks or sixers want artest? and why would you want to pay okafor 16 mil a season...

yea no point in paying Okafor that much.. hes only averagin like 14/10/2.. we need to save that money for Thompson and Hawes who both could potentially average close to that one day.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Love Okafur. Had a down year last year, probably due to coaching - the lack of Bickerstaff hurt. That may lower his value around the league. If so, I'd be very interested. When he's on, he's a defensive force.

I think the cap space can be used more efficiently than on Okafur. For example on a player that has more skills on both sides of the ball. Im not putting Okafur down but there will be more options that present themselfs.

MAYBE just MAYBE if we trade miller for an expiring contract this year we could steal lamarcus aldridge from portland next year the way teams are doing with other stars this summer. (edit) there are many sites with differant info on his contract some say next year he is a FA next year others have him locked for years???

Last edited:
i dont think okafor would fit in our system we already have a bunch of young bigs, hawes, jason thompson and shelden williams, some ones got to be the bench guys there

though i love the guys shot blocking and rebounding but he has no offense and the knock on him is his durability

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Actually, he's a very efficient scorer. He just doesn't take that many shots, and he's a terrible free throw shooter. I've watched Charlotte play a half dozen times the last couple years and it looks like they just don't feed him the ball very much. When he gets the ball in the post he usually scores, but it looks like they just forget he's out there on offense. He had a couple bad injury years in a row, but he played all 82 games last season. I don't think I'd label him an injury risk yet. If it's at all possible to get this guy, he'd be a great anchor for this team. Excellent scorer and defender in the post, good rebounder too. We'd be crazy to pass on Okafor just because we have Hawes and Thompson. Neither of those guys is proven yet, and neither of them is likely to be the defender that Okafor is. I don't think it's very likely, but if we do manage to get cap space in the 2009 offseason, this is the first guy I'd go after (assuming he signs a one year deal this season and becomes unrestricted).

Besides, Thompson looks like he has enough perimeter skills to play SF and Hawes has that outside jumpshot he loves so much so he can play the high post with Okafor on the low block. An enormous front line of Hawes, Okafor, and Thompson could work on the court provided you've got at least one quality perimeter defender at the guard positions. Three point defense could be a problem, but at least guys wouldn't have to cheat off their man to help guard the paint.

Last edited:
If Okafor did get traded to us by pure chance you are right about him not wanting to sign a midlevel, but here is what you have to remember. Kenny Thomas' may have a horrible contract, but his horrible contract will be extremely valuable next offseason considering it expires in 2010 which is when the superstar free agency begins..teams like the nets will be willing to take him to free up space for Lebron..... on top of Kenny leaving, Shareefs contract runs out this year which is another 6.6 mil. That basically puts us under the cap by 4 mil if Kenny gets traded. Brad Miller is also a possiblity to be traded because his contract expires in 2010 as well and he will be getting old so the Kings will be looking to ship him. If all that happens then we could possibly be 8-10 mil under the cap by the end of this season, and the worst that could happen is being 15 mil under the cap in 2010. So either way we will have plenty of money to spend on another big name player or 2 good players either this year or next.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If Okafor did get traded to us by pure chance you are right about him not wanting to sign a midlevel, but here is what you have to remember. Kenny Thomas' may have a horrible contract, but his horrible contract will be extremely valuable next offseason considering it expires in 2010 which is when the superstar free agency begins..teams like the nets will be willing to take him to free up space for Lebron..... on top of Kenny leaving, Shareefs contract runs out this year which is another 6.6 mil. That basically puts us under the cap by 4 mil if Kenny gets traded. Brad Miller is also a possiblity to be traded because his contract expires in 2010 as well and he will be getting old so the Kings will be looking to ship him. If all that happens then we could possibly be 8-10 mil under the cap by the end of this season, and the worst that could happen is being 15 mil under the cap in 2010. So either way we will have plenty of money to spend on another big name player or 2 good players either this year or next.

You got to think about one thing. If a team is willing to trade a player to take back KT's expiring. That pretty much tells me that player isn't worthy
of being in a teams future plans and that they have a contract that extends at least 1 more year than KT's.

So having said that do you really want a player that goes against our cap going into 2010 that wasn't good enough to be a significant part of a another teams plans toward the future??????

Ya Hakeem had a terrible career. We don't take anything but the best here in sacremento!!! Wade? No way, only the best. Steve nash? nope we don't do that second teir stuff do we? lol you crack me up (smart people will catch my sarcasitc wit here...)

Entity

Hall of Famer
Ya Hakeem had a terrible career. We don't take anything but the best here in sacremento!!! Wade? No way, only the best. Steve nash? nope we don't do that second teir stuff do we? lol you crack me up (smart people will catch my sarcasitc wit here...)

What the hell are you talking about.

I have no real desire to pick up Okafor. He's far too talented/expensive to be a backup, but he's a 6'10" center. I'd much rather take a chance on a Thompson/Hawes frontline then spend a lot of money on a player who, by all indication, will never be dominant at his position. Size wise, Thompson and Hawes are big, or at least appropriate, for their positions, Emeka really isn't. If you spend a lot of money on Okafor, you have to accept the fact that you're going to get burned by the true centers in the league, and for a young Kings team, I'd like to avoid that all together.

You got to think about one thing. If a team is willing to trade a player to take back KT's expiring. That pretty much tells me that player isn't worthy
of being in a teams future plans and that they have a contract that extends at least 1 more year than KT's.

So having said that do you really want a player that goes against our cap going into 2010 that wasn't good enough to be a significant part of a another teams plans toward the future??????
Good point. but i would still do a Artest for Okafor or Wallace if either one was offered.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
yea no point in paying Okafor that much.. hes only averagin like 14/10/2.. we need to save that money for Thompson and Hawes who both could potentially average close to that one day.
Just curious. You said 14/10/2. What is the 2? Its certainly not assists because he's a terrible passer and averages 2 turnovers for evey assist, so what the 2?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Actually, he's a very efficient scorer. He just doesn't take that many shots, and he's a terrible free throw shooter. I've watched Charlotte play a half dozen times the last couple years and it looks like they just don't feed him the ball very much. When he gets the ball in the post he usually scores, but it looks like they just forget he's out there on offense. He had a couple bad injury years in a row, but he played all 82 games last season. I don't think I'd label him an injury risk yet. If it's at all possible to get this guy, he'd be a great anchor for this team. Excellent scorer and defender in the post, good rebounder too. We'd be crazy to pass on Okafor just because we have Hawes and Thompson. Neither of those guys is proven yet, and neither of them is likely to be the defender that Okafor is. I don't think it's very likely, but if we do manage to get cap space in the 2009 offseason, this is the first guy I'd go after (assuming he signs a one year deal this season and becomes unrestricted).

Besides, Thompson looks like he has enough perimeter skills to play SF and Hawes has that outside jumpshot he loves so much so he can play the high post with Okafor on the low block. An enormous front line of Hawes, Okafor, and Thompson could work on the court provided you've got at least one quality perimeter defender at the guard positions. Three point defense could be a problem, but at least guys wouldn't have to cheat off their man to help guard the paint.
I don't think he would be a good fit, as I pointed out in another thread. He's not a good passer, and Petrie puts a lot of emphasis on passing. He doesn't have an outside shot, and as you pointed out, he's not a good freethrow shooter. He's a good defender and a great rebounder. I'm not saying it couldn't work, but at what it would cost to keep him, I'm just not sure.