Effort lacking in dismal exhibition season finale

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11263209p-12178492c.html

Effort lacking in dismal exhibition season finale

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, October 30, 2004

Even a shower couldn't wash off the smell of this performance.

On the heels of a a perfectly terrible performance Thursday night in a loss at Dallas, the Kings made it disappear with a worse one Friday night while getting their backsides handed to them 124-96 by the Phoenix Suns on national television.

ESPN would have been within every right to clip the broadcast at halftime and televise solitaire in its place.

The Kings finished their eight-game preseason with a 2-6 record, their worst mark since they went 1-6 in 1994.

This is to take nothing away from Phoenix, which finished the preseason 7-1 and appears to have a deep, quick, athletic and talented team.

In fact, if one were to judge the Suns off this night, it would be that they might play the Kings 10 times and win 11.

Kings coach Rick Adelman did not use power forward Chris Webber, who might have helped somewhat calm Phoenix's abusive 58-26 rebounding advantage.

The Suns are not a big team by any stretch of the imagination, so a margin of that size suggests they used their other advantages of quickness, athleticism and desire.

It's that last one that left Adelman fumbling around for answers in the locker room after the game.

Adelman said he was left to hope that his core players would be ready to turn on the switch Tuesday when they return to Dallas to meet the Mavericks in the regular-season opener.

"I hate to say it, but it was the first time since I've been with this group that it was not with what we're trying to do," Adelman said. "I don't want to say selfish, but it seemed like it was about who's going to get the shot and how quickly we are going to get it."

And that description didn't even mention the worst end of the floor for the Kings.

New Phoenix point guard Steve Nash using his poise, savvy and handle to get anywhere he wanted on the floor is not an atypical situation. Having nearly all of his teammates accomplish the same thing is a bit much.

It's not news that the Kings are not among the league's most athletic squads. And without Webber and injured backup center Greg Ostertag, they also are one of the smallest crews.

But to get broken down off the dribble with the consistency that it occurred against Phoenix had to be more frightful than anything that happens tomorrow on Halloween.

The Kings trailed 74-46 at halftime and already had heard boos from fans who were not trying to scare anyone.

Six Suns scored in double figures, led by Joe Johnson, who had 21 points, seven rebounds and seven assists in 29 minutes.

The Kings regained the spirit of guard Doug Christie, who started and played seven minutes before shutting it down for the night and waiting to see how his sore left foot responds.

Christie had not played at all during training camp and the preseason, and had only partially participated in a scrimmage Wednesday afternoon.

His entire flow revealed that inactivity, but he didn't stand out that much from his seemingly lost teammates. They just didn't have the reason he did.

Always the big-picture thinker, Adelman said there was no need "to beat the horse here," and practice a tired team.

"I think there were some people who were embarrassed out here," he said. "I think it may be best to let them think about it." And if they weren't embarrassed, then that also soon will be evident.

Last edited:
fakie said:
embarrassed? about the score? defense?
i didn't quite understand that......
I think he was talking about the lousy effort. Not entirely sure they should embarrassed about a preseason game but hey if it works...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes, they played abysmally. Yes, they looked as though the second squad for St. Francis High School could beat them...

Now, is that really reason for wrist slashing?

I don't think so.

Why? Because it was...

wait for it...

pre-season.

The longest, most grueling pre-season they've had.

They don't want to practice any more in meaningless pre-season games with much more to lose than they could possibly gain.

They want to play!

At least after last night, Kingsgurl and I are both praying to everything we hold dear - including all our collective pieces of Kings iconianism - that they want to play!

Rockmeister said:
What is it that you don't understand?
i wasn't sure what he was referring to, but kingkong answered it. maybe it was the lousy effort.

they just didn't have any energy out there yesterday.

VF21 is right - it's pre-season. I watched the replay of the game on ESPN, the Kings took the night off. That was evident with Webber sitting it out. One thing though that was clear, Peja came alive. The Kings have 82 games to clean up the pre-season mess. It's not time to worry yet. ;)

VF21 said:
Yes, they played abysmally. Yes, they looked as though the second squad for St. Francis High School could beat them...

Now, is that really reason for wrist slashing?

I don't think so.

Why? Because it was...

wait for it...

pre-season.

The longest, most grueling pre-season they've had.

They don't want to practice any more in meaningless pre-season games with much more to lose than they could possibly gain.

They want to play!

At least after last night, Kingsgurl and I are both praying to everything we hold dear - including all our collective pieces of Kings iconianism - that they want to play!
If I were a follower, I'd say "Just chop heads off bobbleheads and save your wrists"!!!

I'm sorry...but defending our beloved Kings after their loss to Suns (its only preseason) is somewhat unnerving, they looked pathetic and lost. They had 8 games to prove they can gel as a team, and they could only come away with a couple of soft wins and only spurts of robust effort from core players. Unless they can just "turn it on" beginning next Tuesday, we fans have reason to worry.

Why didn't Web play last night, is he saving himself for the real games? A soldout home crowd and national T.V., and no Web? That's weird.

What fans were looking for during preseason is some hope that this team is still capable of competing for a ring. Sure, preseason is meaningless insofar as games don't count in standings, but come on. Only 3 days until everything starts to count, including Web being in or out of the starting rotation. With all the focus on looking at scrubs to fill the teen spots on the bench, has Adelman lost sight of what happens if Web is indeed still injured?

On a brighter note, looks like DC is still the warrior he's always been. Peja looked good and unruffled by any previous controversy, and looks like Songalia has worked himself into an early rotation with his play.

I don't want to sound dismal, but heck ya, I'm worried. Kings have a lot to be worried about this year (Nugs, T-Wolves, Rockets...even Dallas). Getting started on the wrong foot could spell disaster.

I just hate not knowing what to expect!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
albeitrue said:
If I were a follower, I'd say "Just chop heads off bobbleheads and save your wrists"!!!

I'm sorry...but defending our beloved Kings after their loss to Suns (its only preseason) is somewhat unnerving, they looked pathetic and lost. They had 8 games to prove they can gel as a team, and they could only come away with a couple of soft wins and only spurts of robust effort from core players. Unless they can just "turn it on" beginning next Tuesday, we fans have reason to worry.

Why didn't Web play last night, is he saving himself for the real games? A soldout home crowd and national T.V., and no Web? That's weird.

What fans were looking for during preseason is some hope that this team is still capable of competing for a ring. Sure, preseason is meaningless insofar as games don't count in standings, but come on. Only 3 days until everything starts to count, including Web being in or out of the starting rotation. With all the focus on looking at scrubs to fill the teen spots on the bench, has Adelman lost sight of what happens if Web is indeed still injured?

On a brighter note, looks like DC is still the warrior he's always been. Peja looked good and unruffled by any previous controversy, and looks like Songalia has worked himself into an early rotation with his play.

I don't want to sound dismal, but heck ya, I'm worried. Kings have a lot to be worried about this year (Nugs, T-Wolves, Rockets...even Dallas). Getting started on the wrong foot could spell disaster.

I just hate not knowing what to expect!
Are you Voison? :D

6th said:
Are you Voison? :D
NO! do I sound like her? I've heard some criticism about her Web-bashing (personally, I've never read anything of hers), sorry if I came off that way. Though you may agree, Web has a lot to prove this season. And, if he's still injured Adelman has to work someone else into the starting rotation two weeks ago!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
albeitrue said:
NO! do I sound like her? I've heard some criticism about her Web-bashing (personally, I've never read anything of hers), sorry if I came off that way. Though you may agree, Web has a lot to prove this season. And, if he's still injured Adelman has to work someone else into the starting rotation two weeks ago!
I apologize. I do like to tease, and that was a pretty awful way to welcome your 1st post at KingsFans.com.

As far as Webb goes, yes, he has much to prove....as do others on the Kings AFAIC. Webb is not 100% and is not expected to be at this stage of his comeback from a potentially career ending injury/surgery. But that does not mean he is injured. It just means that Adelman will accept him at 75-85% and that is still better than many many PF's in the NBA.

BTW - Welcome!!

Lamar_Odom said:
That's it. She's Ailene Voisin. Who hasn't heard of Voisin if you're a Kings fan? ;)
Did you just call me a SHE? :confused:

Okay I admit, I've read her once maybe twice, and I wasn't impressed (or I would have gone back for more). She writes in the Bee and I don't read the Bee.

6th said:
I apologize. I do like to tease, and that was a pretty awful way to welcome your 1st post at KingsFans.com.

As far as Webb goes, yes, he has much to prove....as do others on the Kings AFAIC. Webb is not 100% and is not expected to be at this stage of his comeback from a potentially career ending injury/surgery. But that does not mean he is injured. It just means that Adelman will accept him at 75-85% and that is still better than many many PF's in the NBA.

BTW - Welcome!!
No prob, and thanks for the welcome!

they played these last two games horridly, but something just won't allow me to take the preseason to heart. I don't know if it's b/c i keep thinking about the hype over the falcons' (i know it's football,but....) 7-0 preseason a few years ago that turned out to be a bust or that i keep thinking of how well our usual lineup did in china(we could have easily won that first game had rick not taken most of our starters out). I haven't seen a lot of the preseason games but it doesn't look like our starters have played together many minutes. i think these odd groupings with vets and fa's/rooks may also be the cause of throwing everyone out of whack(i know i'm probably stating the obvious,LOL). i want to see what our 'regulars' have before i go into full panic.

i just can't find myself to be that upset about that dismal effort. it was a PRE season game. i'm sure no one played hard becuase they don't want to get hurt in a game that means NOTHING. if they play like this in against dallas tuesday, then i will be one pissed off evenstar!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Albeitrue - Why did Chris Webber take off the last pre-season game? Well, look at it this way...

If you're a Pacer fan right now, you're screaming to the heavens: Why did Jermaine O'Neal and Reggie Miller have to play in stupid meaningless pre-season games?

Webber looked fine last night - in fact, more than fine. ;)

He's healthy, from all reports. Look at the stats for the Mavs game - he led the Kings in rebounds, blocks AND steals... not stellar numbers, but certainly not the type of performance you'd expect from someone still ailing.

You and I obviously had different expectations for the pre-season. I wouldn't care if they lost all the games. I actually was quite pleased that Adelman was more concerned with giving hopefuls a decent look than trying to win games.

Anyway, the dreaded off-season is now behind us. The next time we speak about a game, it's gonna be for real.

And I think it's gonna be a very interesting year!

GO KINGS!!!

VF21 - Naw, I wouldn't have cared had Kings lost all their pre-season games, I was only just a little anxious to see what Web can do post-injury. From what I saw he has played better this pre-season than he was at seasons end, but I'm not sold on the idea that Web is not still injured.

Time will tell, and I - along with everyone else - hope time tells a positive tale!

Thankfully, there are only a couple of days left until time is here. :)

Go Kings!!!