Draft picks past and present

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many teams win championships through draft, free agents and trades. I wonder how many teams have championship caliber teams through drafts only. It’s not impossible, look at the spurs and warriors, but unless you drafted lebron who could pretty much do it alone, I wonder how great other teams were.

This water is now in the Pacific Ocean. It passed under the bridge a long time ago.
Convincing free agents and great players to play in a small market like Sac, is very difficult.
It amplifies the mistakes of past drafts.

And Hedo. Horrible miss, CD. And Brian Grant.
Guys, it’s not an official list, but responses like this have offered a result even I didn’t anticipate.

Think about it. Think about the psychology of your reaction. Hedo? Brian Grant?

I made a list with the best players we’ve EVER drafted, and many have read it and looked more for a miss on the list, than the actual overall results.

I said on twitter, if Brian Grant were a church, I’d be a priest. But he was a role player. Hedo? L-Train?

You would think a miss on my part would at least constitute a player with at least ONE all-star appearance in their career. Instead we are standing up for players that (on a black and white scale), were decent at best.

It just goes to show how much we’ve been trained to keep the bar so very low, and how we (as the best fans in the NBA) are so accustomed to failure, that we embrace the average to above average.

That really makes a much heavier point than the one I originally intended.

That second tweet is an absurd statement to make. It concerns me that there even people with the hubris to make it.
seriously- you think that team wins an NBA title?

I fully admit it’s a “who the hell knows” situation, a sports bar argument we would never know, but in my honest opinion that’s a western conference finalist AT BEST

Guys, it’s not an official list, but responses like this have offered a result even I didn’t anticipate.

I made a list with the best players we’ve EVER drafted, and many have read it and looked more for a miss on the list, than the actual overall results.

I said on twitter, if Brian Grant were a church, I’d be a priest. But he was a role player. Hedo? L-Train?

You would think a miss on my part would at least constitute a player with at least ONE all-star appearance in their career. Instead we are standing up for players that (on a black and white scale), were decent at best.

It just goes to show how much we’ve been trained to keep the bar so very low, and how we (as the best fans in the NBA) are so accustomed to failure, that we embrace the average to above average.

Hedo was an integral member of the Magic team that made the Finals, so I'd take him over Kevin Martin as a starter, who was mostly a bad team good stats guy.

Excellent! Starting Tuesday, please juxtapose our total drafting record with that of Masai Ujiri or Tim Connelly, and please use your platform to campaign for Ujiri/Connelly to be pursued in the summer of 2021.

As an aside, if our issue is drafting, guys like Hinkie/Morey are not the solution.

Last edited:
Here’s another way to put it:

I found a very concise way to get my point across from last night.

Since 1985, the Kings draft position has AVERAGED 9.79, a top 10 pick.

In 34 drafts, here are all the players we drafted that made an all-star team while playing in Sac:

Peja
Demarcus

408 spots available for the all-star game since 1985 (12 spots x 34), and we have taken a grand total of 6.

We have also had the highest average draft position over the last 34 years in the NBA.

So point being: I’m done getting overly excited for the draft.

Of COURSE it’s discouraging.

But even more discouraging is continually getting my hopes up each and every time.

Pessimism is the way.

Anything good that happens is a pleasant surprise when your expectations are failure.

seriously- you think that team wins an NBA title?

I fully admit it’s a “who the hell knows” situation, a sports bar argument we would never know, but in my honest opinion that’s a western conference finalist AT BEST
As a sports bar argument, five rounds deep...sure, it’s interesting to discuss and I’m fine with the proclamation. As positioned, so matter-of-factly on twitter, I read it as a gross oversimplification of professional basketball and maybe overreacted a bit. Pitfalls of the internet I guess. ;)

So What’s the remedy Dave?
You were right when you said on your show that vlade and Luke aren’t going anywhere. Not having just inked those extensions. There’s no way the kings eat those 2 contracts. Vivek is Vivek. He might have been a titan in the business world but his basketball IQ is worse than bad. Ownership won’t change and this FO is cemented in place for at least this and next season. So what’s the solution to getting this thing on the right track?

So What’s the remedy Dave?
You were right when you said on your show that vlade and Luke aren’t going anywhere. Not having just inked those extensions. There’s no way the kings eat those 2 contracts. Vivek is Vivek. He might have been a titan in the business world but his basketball IQ is worse than bad. Ownership won’t change and this FO is cemented in place for at least this and next season. So what’s the solution to getting this thing on the right track?
sadly there is no A-Z solution.

Simply, you have to back into lightning in a bottle

Here’s another way to put it:

I found a very concise way to get my point across from last night.

Since 1985, the Kings draft position has AVERAGED 9.79, a top 10 pick.

In 34 drafts, here are all the players we drafted that made an all-star team while playing in Sac:

Peja
Demarcus

408 spots available for the all-star game since 1985 (12 spots x 34), and we have taken a grand total of 6.

We have also had the highest average draft position over the last 34 years in the NBA.

So point being: I’m done getting overly excited for the draft.

Of COURSE it’s discouraging.

But even more discouraging is continually getting my hopes up each and every time.

Pessimism is the way.

Anything good that happens is a pleasant surprise when your expectations are failure.
If Vivek wants to roll out NBA 3.0, then lets roll out NBA 3.0. Poll the most active members of the most active Kings forums as well as season ticket holders and see who they want to pick in the draft. Guarantee you Stauskas, Papa G, Malachi, Bagley, Justin Jackson, Fredette and maybe even McLemore don't get picked if it were up to us armchair GMs. Fans that follow the team closely on forums have had a better track record than any of the GMs over the last 10 years when it comes to figuring out the best talent in the first round.

If Vivek wants to roll out NBA 3.0, then lets roll out NBA 3.0. Poll the most active members of the most active Kings forums as well as season ticket holders and see who they want to pick in the draft. Guarantee you Stauskas, Papa G, Malachi, Bagley, Justin Jackson, Fredette and maybe even McLemore don't get picked if it were up to us armchair GMs. Fans that follow the team closely on forums have had a better track record than any of the GMs over the last 10 years when it comes to figuring out the best talent in the first round.
Honestly at this point I’d have no problem with this

Here's mine, assuming the lotteries still work out the way the do and the draft day trades are still in effect.

2011: Kemba
2012: Robinson
2013: McLemore
2014: Vonleh
2015: WCS
2016: 13th: Valentine, 22nd: Luwawu-Cabarrot, 28th: Skal
2017: 5th: Fox, 15th: Anunoby, 20th: Giles
2018: Doncic
2019: lol

Have some whiffs for sure notably four straight but the sad part is it's still better especially for the most recent rebuild because of Doncic over Bagley and Anunoby over Jackson.

This right here is what saddens me... I have a certain player in mind almost every year, we have a chance at them, then we pass. Why is it some basketball nobody like me and others on here has had better predictions concerning who we should take, and we have the so called "experts" getting paid money in amounts unseen by the common man, getting it wrong almost every fracking year??? This should not be...

Status
Not open for further replies.