Doug Christie. Interesting Tweet!

The tweet isn't from Doug Christie. It's about Doug Christie. But he did like the tweet lol. On the Grant Napear Show, he said he does have interest in coaching.

Last edited:
Doug was nterviewed yesterday by Napear. Good nterview. Very interesting views by Doug especially about the "out of it play" of Kings players in recent weeks. Also, he loves broadcasting and would really love coaching. (And I think right here n Kingsville.). The nterview may have caused the tweet.

Doug was nterviewed yesterday by Napear. Good nterview. Very interesting views by Doug especially about the "out of it play" of Kings players in recent weeks. Also, he loves broadcasting and would really love coaching. (And I think right here n Kingsville.). The nterview may have caused the tweet.
He also said something about "unfinished business".

Must be about the robbery in 2002. He'll be as driven as anybody, when it comes to turning this thing around.

I think "unfinished business" is he wants to coach and leave his mark on the Kings. I'm impressed by his attitude. Or maybe he wants to be a French chef.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Doug Christie would be my second choice to be coach behind Thibs but maybe even first. Great communicator, knows defense and the game, understands the current athlete, unmatched enthusiasm, CWebb used to say that Christie was the best teammate he's ever had........I think he could be a guy who could come in and make a difference immediately and grow with the team.

Doug Christie would be my second choice to be coach behind Thibs but maybe even first. Great communicator, knows defense and the game, understands the current athlete, unmatched enthusiasm, CWebb used to say that Christie was the best teammate he's ever had........I think he could be a guy who could come in and make a difference immediately and grow with the team.
I'd love Doug on the bench but I'd certainly like to see him in an assistant role before giving him a shot as head coach. This next hire REALLY, REALLY needs to be a solid one if this Kings team is going to escape the lottery any time soon.

Of course, that might mean the Kings are trading Big Nasty for Christie a second time . . .

If somehow, some way, Doug did get a chance to be the coach it would raise my spirits considerably. When you listen to him talk he's right on with everything he says and it correlates with what we see. It would suck in one way though because I love him on the pregames! Maybe have Scot Pollard come fill in when Bobby's off???

I'd love Doug on the bench but I'd certainly like to see him in an assistant role before giving him a shot as head coach. This next hire REALLY, REALLY needs to be a solid one if this Kings team is going to escape the lottery any time soon.

Of course, that might mean the Kings are trading Big Nasty for Christie a second time . . .
Kerr came off the broadcast straight to HC he did play for Pop/Phill though but Adelman isn't a push over either.

Not specifically. I don't have time right now, but I can look up the interview(s) where it was brought up.
Via Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:

Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive and vice president of basketball operations Vlade Divac were using All-Star weekend in Toronto to canvass league officials on possible candidates to hire as general manager, league sources told The Vertical.

The Kings are starting to acknowledge that Divac has been overwhelmed with the complexities of the collective bargaining agreement and the sophisticated ways with which most NBA organizations are run now. Privately, the Kings have been telling people they plan to run a GM and a coaching search once the regular season ends. Sacramento has committed to keeping coach George Karl for the rest of the regular season, but has shown no inclination to bring him back next season, sources said

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive and vice president of basketball operations Vlade Divac were using All-Star weekend in Toronto to canvass league officials on possible candidates to hire as general manager, league sources told The Vertical.

The Kings are starting to acknowledge that Divac has been overwhelmed with the complexities of the collective bargaining agreement and the sophisticated ways with which most NBA organizations are run now. Privately, the Kings have been telling people they plan to run a GM and a coaching search once the regular season ends. Sacramento has committed to keeping coach George Karl for the rest of the regular season, but has shown no inclination to bring him back next season, sources said
There are exact quotes from Vlade that refute this. "League sources" aren't always right, and in this case, somebody obviously jumped to a conclusion based on Vivek and Vlade looking for possible additions to the basketball ops staff.

The Kings have NOT made any kind of statement "acknowledging" that Vlade is or has been overwhelmed.

I'm all for Vlade as our GM if he wants to do it BTW. I still love what he did this last off season (just as long as we don't win the lottery).
so am i. he can most certainly do it. He needs to use the insight he has gained over the past season to help us and can do this as GM. I am all for him working with a more experienced GM - i.e. we bring in someone to assist and mentor him.

Bringing in a new GM into our situation could take awhile before they are comfortable understanding the current product and clearly we dont have bucketloads of time here if we want to make the tweaks we need and move on up the leaderboard.

There are exact quotes from Vlade that refute this. "League sources" aren't always right, and in this case, somebody obviously jumped to a conclusion based on Vivek and Vlade looking for possible additions to the basketball ops staff.

The Kings have NOT made any kind of statement "acknowledging" that Vlade is or has been overwhelmed.
Woj is pretty respectable in terms of sources. In any case as stupid as we can be, it would do no good making any kind of statement along those lines so i am glad we havent. Even if it was true, its not something you go on record as stating.

As per above im fine with Vlade running the show. We need a coach more so then a GM. We need stability at the top and that is Vlade, who has the respect of all the players and the locker room.

We'll find out in the summer i guess or if the GM search kicks off sooner rather then later and further sources make it clear we are looking for a hire in this space.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
so am i. he can most certainly do it. He needs to use the insight he has gained over the past season to help us and can do this as GM. I am all for him working with a more experienced GM - i.e. we bring in someone to assist and mentor him.

Bringing in a new GM into our situation could take awhile before they are comfortable understanding the current product and clearly we dont have bucketloads of time here if we want to make the tweaks we need and move on up the leaderboard.
I'm only quoting you as you're the latest one to say this, but I still don't understand why people think Vlade needs to work with a "more experienced GM"... Right now, I think things may finally be heading in a good direction and I personally don't want to bring in anyone to rock that boat. Let Vlade pick his assistants/subordinates to fill whatever roles he deems necessary. Let Vlade, once he's extended his contract and is here for the long haul, pick a new head coach. We need to be all in with him right now and don't second-guess him before he really gets a chance to implement his visions.

For far too long, the Kings (and a lot of fans) have looked for the instant solution. It hasn't worked out well at all. We have someone totally respected throughout the NBA who is embarking on what I hope will be a long and fruitful career as our President of Basketball Operations/GM/WizardExtraordinaire/AnythingElseHeWantsToBe. I seriously hope he's given enough time and authority to prove himself - which I totally believe he will do.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Woj is pretty respectable in terms of sources. In any case as stupid as we can be, it would do no good making any kind of statement along those lines so i am glad we havent. Even if it was true, its not something you go on record as stating.

As per above im fine with Vlade running the show. We need a coach more so then a GM. We need stability at the top and that is Vlade, who has the respect of all the players and the locker room.

We'll find out in the summer i guess or if the GM search kicks off sooner rather then later and further sources make it clear we are looking for a hire in this space.
Kinda looks like we're on the same page (or at least the same chapter). :)

I'm only quoting you as you're the latest one to say this, but I still don't understand why people think Vlade needs to work with a "more experienced GM"... Right now, I think things may finally be heading in a good direction and I personally don't want to bring in anyone to rock that boat. Let Vlade pick his assistants/subordinates to fill whatever roles he deems necessary. Let Vlade, once he's extended his contract and is here for the long haul, pick a new head coach. We need to be all in with him right now and don't second-guess him before he really gets a chance to implement his visions.

For far too long, the Kings (and a lot of fans) have looked for the instant solution. It hasn't worked out well at all. We have someone totally respected throughout the NBA who is embarking on what I hope will be a long and fruitful career as our President of Basketball Operations/GM/WizardExtraordinaire/AnythingElseHeWantsToBe. I seriously hope he's given enough time and authority to prove himself - which I totally believe he will do.
agreed. The choice has to be Vlade's and he has all the core skills required.

If he wants someone to mentor him then hell Geoff is around and that is something that could very well work without blurring the lines of who is calling the shots etc.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
agreed. The choice has to be Vlade's and he has all the core skills required.

If he wants someone to mentor him then hell Geoff is around and that is something that could very well work without blurring the lines of who is calling the shots etc.
Geoff could be Vlade's Mullin? I saw a lot wrong with Mullin around but predict none at all with Geoff within a phone's range or whatever the arrangement would be. Vlade and Geoff know each other and I presume respect each other. If Geoff wasn't lurking the halls, I suspect there would be no confusion with the players.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

That's not an honest article, as that second paragraph should tell you.

That's Woj's own little version of wish-fulfillment. He took a slant at the behest of some agent or other last summer, and he will never ever let it go.