Does OG Anunoby Want out of Toronto? Should we be in pursuit?

[Fischer] Following a standout season from Rookie of the Year Scottie Barnes, word has circulated among rival front offices that OG Anunoby grew dissatisfied at times with his role in Toronto… two landing spots already linked by league personnel have been Utah and Portland.

Source from B/R

It all depends on the direction that we go in on draft day. If we draft a big, then no. If we draft a small, then I'd like to at least see us entertain the idea of bringing Anunoby on board.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
He's got 2 years left on his contract (and a player option in year 3 which he probably opts out of) so this doesn't really have teeth yet. Give it a year and if he feels the same way he might get traded in the summer of 2023. But I agree with @SacTownKid that the easy move here is for Toronto to shop Siakam this summer and embrace the combo forward future.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Would you deal Fox for Siakam then use 4 on say Ivey?
I don't know. That's tough. Look, I'm looking around the league and no, PF isn't where it's at. Like AT ALL. Pick and roll passing guards are the easy route. However, it would certainly be an option. I can see some seriously interesting things with Siakam/Sabonis old school Princeton wise when it comes to passing bigs and we know Ivey is legit in that system.

He's got 2 years left on his contract (and a player option in year 3 which he probably opts out of) so this doesn't really have teeth yet. Give it a year and if he feels the same way he might get traded in the summer of 2023. But I agree with @SacTownKid that the easy move here is for Toronto to shop Siakam this summer and embrace the combo forward future.
Siakam probably made that call a bit more difficult with the all nba season. OG would be great for the Kings though

We dont have the assets they would want without moving this or next years pick. But i think the OG will end up being better than 3/4 of the concensus top 4. So, it may be a good move to trade holmes and Harkless/Len and this years pick for OG.

Fox/Mitchell
DDV/TD/Holiday
OG/Holiday/Barnes
Barnes/Metu.
Sabonis/Jones (resign)

I also go get a martin twin and Hartenstein.

SAS Gets: Mo Harkless & #4
SAS Gives: Devin Vassell, #9, & #20
Why for SAS? The Spurs have some decent pieces, but not a lot of star talent. They consolidate some of their assets to trade up in hopes of landing a star (Ivey/Sharpe/Banchero).

TOR Gets: Richaun Holmes, Chimezie Metu, #9, & #20
TOR Gives: OG Anunoby
Why for TOR? Clears the way for Barnes & Siakam to start at the 3 & 4 long term while they get an upgrade at C on a reasonable, long term deal. They also get a lottery pick and another mid-late 1st to add cheap, young talent around their high payroll players.

SAC Gets: OG Anunoby & Devin Vassell
SAC Gives: Richaun Holmes, Mo Harkless, Chimezie Metu, & #4
Why for SAC? The Kings eliminate the risk of taking a rookie and hoping he's ready to help the team win from day 1 (since McNair likely needs to the team to compete for the playoffs this season to keep his job). They upgrade their weakest positions (SG & PF) by acquiring two 3&D players who both have great length, have positive AST:TO (2.34 for Vassell & 1.56 for Anunoby), have some offensive scoring potential (16 pts/36 min for Vassell & 17 pts/36 min for Anunoby), and are on the same timeline as Fox/Sabonis.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Vassell / DiVincenzo / Davis
SF - Barnes / Holiday
PF - Anunoby / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len

Last edited:
Why for SAS? The Spurs have some decent pieces, but not a lot of star talent. They consolidate some of their assets to trade up in hopes of landing a star (Ivey/Sharpe/Banchero).

Why for TOR? Clears the way for Barnes & Siakam to start at the 3 & 4 long term while they get an upgrade at C on a reasonable, long term deal. They also get a lottery pick and another mid-late 1st to add cheap, young talent around their high payroll players.

Why for SAC? The Kings eliminate the risk of taking a rookie and hoping he's ready to help the team win from day 1 (since McNair likely needs to the team to compete for the playoffs this season to keep his job). They upgrade their weakest positions (SG & PF) by acquiring two 3&D players who both have great length, have positive AST:TO (2.34 for Vassell & 1.56 for Anunoby), have some offensive scoring potential (16 pts/36 min for Vassell & 17 pts/36 min for Anunoby), and are on the same timeline as Fox/Sabonis.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SF - Barnes / Holiday
PF - Anunoby / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len

From what i can tell, this trade doesn't work financially. OG is getting $16M/yr and you are sending back $11M/yr. You need to move Len, Lyles, or TD instead of Metu and it could work. That said i do like the move overall as it gives you a player in OG who could be better than 2 or the 4 top prospects and is a win now guy. Id rather move Len (for salary purposes) for Keldon Johnson if you are giving a top 4 pick to SAS. I think Holmes and Lyles and 2 FRP is a lot more than they will get for OG and it will be hard to move on from Siakam after an all NBA year, and give ROY status of Barnes, you cant decrease his PT so OG is the odd man out.

Fox/Mitchell
Johnson/DDV/TD
OG/Holiday
Barnes/Metu
Sabonis/Jones resigned.

And as pernmy usual, use some of you MLE on Hartenstein and a Martin twin.

From what i can tell, this trade doesn't work financially. OG is getting $16M/yr and you are sending back $11M/yr. You need to move Len, Lyles, or TD instead of Metu and it could work. That said i do like the move overall as it gives you a player in OG who could be better than 2 or the 4 top prospects and is a win now guy. Id rather move Len (for salary purposes) for Keldon Johnson if you are giving a top 4 pick to SAS. I think Holmes and Lyles and 2 FRP is a lot more than they will get for OG and it will be hard to move on from Siakam after an all NBA year, and give ROY status of Barnes, you cant decrease his PT so OG is the odd man out.

Fox/Mitchell
Johnson/DDV/TD
OG/Holiday
Barnes/Metu
Sabonis/Jones resigned.

And as pernmy usual, use some of you MLE on Hartenstein and a Martin twin.
Holmes, Harkless, & Metu make collectively $17,691,100 this season. ($17,691,100 * 125%) + $100,000 = $22,213,875. Meaning the Kings could trade for a package up to $22,213,875. Anunoby & Vassell make collectively $21,794,143 this season. If I'm interpreting the trade rules right, the trade I proposed should be legal.

I prefer Vassell over Johnson. Barnes, Anunoby, & Johnson are all SF/PF. Vassell is more of a SG/SF and I like his game & fit better. Not to mention he has 2 more years on his rookie deal unlike Johnson who only has this year and will be up for a pay raise which has some significant cap implications. For instance, if we make the trade I propose and resign DiVincenzo to a similar deal that Holmes got, we'd have Fox, Mitchell, DiVincenzo, Vassell, Anunoby, Sabonis, & 2023 SAC 1st under contract with ~$30 mil in cap space during the 2023 offseason to potentially add a big piece to the core. If we trade for Johnson instead, his new deal could drop that cap space to ~$20 mil.

I'd rather have Vassell over Johnson (all things equal) but the extra cap flexibility just makes it a no brainer for me.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SF - Barnes / Holiday
PF - Anunoby / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len
I think a little rich from SAS perspective. They'd have to absolutely adore Ivey to give up all that capital just to get to 4. TOR and SAC do well here.

Holmes, Harkless, & Metu make collectively $17,691,100 this season. ($17,691,100 * 125%) + $100,000 = $22,213,875. Meaning the Kings could trade for a package up to $22,213,875. Anunoby & Vassell make collectively $21,794,143 this season. If I'm interpreting the trade rules right, the trade I proposed should be legal.

I prefer Vassell over Johnson. Barnes, Anunoby, & Johnson are all SF/PF. Vassell is more of a SG/SF and I like his game & fit better. Not to mention he has 2 more years on his rookie deal unlike Johnson who only has this year and will be up for a pay raise which has some significant cap implications. For instance, if we make the trade I propose and resign DiVincenzo to a similar deal that Holmes got, we'd have Fox, Mitchell, DiVincenzo, Vassell, Anunoby, Sabonis, & 2023 SAC 1st under contract with ~$30 mil in cap space during the 2023 offseason to potentially add a big piece to the core. If we trade for Johnson instead, his new deal could drop that cap space to ~$20 mil.

I'd rather have Vassell over Johnson (all things equal) but the extra cap flexibility just makes it a no brainer for me.
Now, granted, this is a simplistic trade machine, which doesnt factor everything, the trade is 600K over budget on incoming salary to work within the rules for the kings. I understand your point about SG vs a Flex forward, but at 6'6'', Johnson is a SF/PF in name only. He is really a SG/SF who was put into the PF role d/t the whole position-less game. He makes 2M less than vassell, and is a better offensive fit and they are roughly equal defensively rating wise (though Johnson was guarding significantly bigger players than himself). Defensively, a lineup of Johnson/OG/Barnes i think would be rather formidable protection for Fox and Sabonis (although he isnt a bad defender, just not a rim protector) and is super long. But i get your point on the cap issue too, BUT Vassell is essentially DDV with less playmaking. Granted he costs you 2-4M less (likely after DDV his the market he will make 6-8), but do you bring Vassell or DDV off the bench? Are you willing to move #4 for basically 2 DDVs? If not, why not give #4 for OG (with Holmes and TD/Len/Lyles) straight up.

I like the lineup flexibility you can have with Johnson/OG/Barnes who can mix well with Fox/DDV/Mitchell in a relatively positionless lineup (Sabonis is always a 5).

Now, granted, this is a simplistic trade machine, which doesnt factor everything, the trade is 600K over budget on incoming salary to work within the rules for the kings. I understand your point about SG vs a Flex forward, but at 6'6'', Johnson is a SF/PF in name only. He is really a SG/SF who was put into the PF role d/t the whole position-less game. He makes 2M less than vassell, and is a better offensive fit and they are roughly equal defensively rating wise (though Johnson was guarding significantly bigger players than himself). Defensively, a lineup of Johnson/OG/Barnes i think would be rather formidable protection for Fox and Sabonis (although he isnt a bad defender, just not a rim protector) and is super long. But i get your point on the cap issue too, BUT Vassell is essentially DDV with less playmaking. Granted he costs you 2-4M less (likely after DDV his the market he will make 6-8), but do you bring Vassell or DDV off the bench? Are you willing to move #4 for basically 2 DDVs? If not, why not give #4 for OG (with Holmes and TD/Len/Lyles) straight up.

I like the lineup flexibility you can have with Johnson/OG/Barnes who can mix well with Fox/DDV/Mitchell in a relatively positionless lineup (Sabonis is always a 5).
I can see Johnson as a SF but SG is a stretch. As for him playing PF, you cite his height (6'6") but didn't mention his weight at the combine (216 lbs), and he's likely in the 220-225 range today. Then he has a very solid 8'8" standing reach (Harrison Barnes has a 8'5.5" standing reach as a comparison). His height may be shorter than most PFs but it appears the bulk of that height lost is in his neck.

I'm not sure I would agree that Johnson is a superior fit offensively but to each their own. I do consider Vassell the better defender with much more defensive potential long term.

DiVincenzo is 6'4.5" with a 6'6" wingspan and a 8'1.5" standing reach. Vassell is reportedly 6'7" with a 6'10" wingspan. A taller, longer DiVincenzo is not an equivalent player. It's like asking would we want another Bobby Jackson if that Bobby Jackson was 6'6". The answer is yes! Now for what it's worth, I do consider Vassell as having better scoring and defensive potential (mainly on-ball defense) than DiVincenzo while I have DiVincenzo as the better playmaker/passer.

I'm not sure I understand your last point. You're saying instead of trading #4/Holmes for Anunoby/Vassell that we should trade #4/Holmes for just Anunoby?

Devin Vassell is 6'4" with albeit a 6'10". Both had and DDV had similar defensive ratings (around 112). Look at a picture of him standing next to Keldon Johnson and he is clearly smaller than the 6/6 Johnson. They are very similar in their stats breakdowns so I dont see the rational of both on a team but I would not be averse to having Vassell or Johnson.

I strongly believe any of the 3 OG, Barnes, and Johnson can guard 2, 3 and 4 positions, for me, having them in any of those roles is a plus (gives you offensive and defensive versatility). So to my point, I think sending the #4 for Vassell is an overpay for a player I think is fairly redundant with DDV which doesnt add much to our team (depth excluded). I get you will also get #9 and #20, and flip them and player into OG, but I think if the spurs are getting # 4, they should send a better player than vassell in return (ie Johnson).

Devin Vassell is 6'4" with albeit a 6'10". Both had and DDV had similar defensive ratings (around 112). Look at a picture of him standing next to Keldon Johnson and he is clearly smaller than the 6/6 Johnson. They are very similar in their stats breakdowns so I dont see the rational of both on a team but I would not be averse to having Vassell or Johnson.

I strongly believe any of the 3 OG, Barnes, and Johnson can guard 2, 3 and 4 positions, for me, having them in any of those roles is a plus (gives you offensive and defensive versatility). So to my point, I think sending the #4 for Vassell is an overpay for a player I think is fairly redundant with DDV which doesnt add much to our team (depth excluded). I get you will also get #9 and #20, and flip them and player into OG, but I think if the spurs are getting # 4, they should send a better player than vassell in return (ie Johnson).
Can you post the link that says Vassell is 6’4”?

I don’t see Vassell as redundant with DiVincenzo considering one is a PG/SG and the other is a SG/SF, and I’m not sure why having multiple players who can defend, space the floor, have a positive AST:TO ratio is a bad thing especially since their size and length is substantially different.

Vassell and Johnson aren’t on different tiers in my book, and I like Vassell’s fit and long term potential more. Add on the big factor of the cap savings and it’s an easy call for me.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SF - Barnes / Holiday
PF - Anunoby / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len
I'll be honest, I think I'd just cut out Toronto and take Vassell-9-20 for 4, if that was on the table. Value looks to be just right on both sides, the Kings get a long-term answer at the 3, and still leave this draft with good future capital.

I'll be honest, I think I'd just cut out Toronto and take Vassell-9-20 for 4, if that was on the table. Value looks to be just right on both sides, the Kings get a long-term answer at the 3, and still leave this draft with good future capital.
I don't know if I would "like" it but I can accept it. If we get Vassell and then maybe pick up Ben Mathurin with the 9th pick, I could be talked into accepting that scenario.

I don't know if I would "like" it but I can accept it. If we get Vassell and then maybe pick up Ben Mathurin with the 9th pick, I could be talked into accepting that scenario.
Yeah back when we thought we were going to pick 7-8, we talked a lot about how there were 9 really nice prospects and I think we could add Eason and Daniels too from that initial 9, that would fit the Kings nicely.

Sharpe
Davis
Murray
Mathurin
Griffin
Daniels
Eason

2 of these 7 names will be available at 9. At 20, we're likely looking at names like Liddell, Branham, Jovic, Moore, Jalen Williams, etc.

If you could leave this draft with Daniels+Vassell+Liddell? That's an insane home-run, with 3 outstanding defensive prospects that should slot perfectly into a Fox/Sabonis core.

Can you post the link that says Vassell is 6’4”?

I don’t see Vassell as redundant with DiVincenzo considering one is a PG/SG and the other is a SG/SF, and I’m not sure why having multiple players who can defend, space the floor, have a positive AST:TO ratio is a bad thing especially since their size and length is substantially different.

Vassell and Johnson aren’t on different tiers in my book, and I like Vassell’s fit and long term potential more. Add on the big factor of the cap savings and it’s an easy call for me.
Sorry not 6'4" but 6'5"

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4395630/devin-vassell

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/v/vassede01.html

Again, i dont mind vassell, i just think #4 overall should net a more developed player for what our goal is.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Sorry not 6'4" but 6'5"

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4395630/devin-vassell

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/v/vassede01.html

Again, i dont mind vassell, i just think #4 overall should net a more developed player for what our goal is.
Vassell is listed at 6'7" on many sites before the draft but did not partake in the combine measurements making this a bit tougher. The NBA recently came out and said they were going to start measuring their players in an effort to provide accurate height information in player's profiles. Part of the these requirements they gave is that they need to be barefoot but they are also allowed to round to the nearest inch (either up or down).

At the combine, DiVincenzo measured in at 6'3.5" barefoot. If he continued to measure at 6'3.5" (very likely) this year, they would be allowed to round him up to 6'4". Vassell is listed at 6'5" which means he's anywhere from 6'4.5" to 6'5.49" barefoot. Considering he was consistently listed as 6'7" pre-draft and watching him on the floor, I wouldn't be surprised if he's around 6'5" to 6'5.5" barefoot. Not only does that give him a couple of inches on DiVincenzo, but his wingspan is also 3.5" longer. Again, these guys aren't redundant when their sizes allow them to play different positions.

To your point about #4 netting a more developed player, let's not get confused here. Vassell is the consolation prize in this deal. The real prize is Onunoby. He's a special player on the defensive side of the ball and is no slouch offensively either. I think he has the potential to make an all-star team or two. If Wiggins can do it, why not Anunoby?

Taking a look at the advanced impact stats, Anunoby and Vassell look like they'd be positive players for us while still holding potential to continue to get better.

1654186210458.png

Agreed. You don’t trade down to get role players. Terrible idea. You take your swing at drafting an all-star at pick 4 or trading for an all-star type or one close to it.
I consider Anunoby having that type of potential while also being young enough to grow with the core. I'm assuming you only view Anunoby as strictly a 3&D player which results in the disagreement on value.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I consider Anunoby having that type of potential while also being young enough to grow with the core. I'm assuming you only view Anunoby as strictly a 3&D player which results in the disagreement on value.
The contract status of OG and pick at 4 has to come into play. To me, it means you have to believe that is the core that gets you into the playoffs and not just the play in. I think you can get a cost controlled guy equal or similar or better than OG at 4…..and then you can add to it with other moves. That is what I mean. Would love to have OG but not at the cost of the 4th and pieces…….and Vassell is a role player who can be replicated by another acquisition.

The contract status of OG and pick at 4 has to come into play. To me, it means you have to believe that is the core that gets you into the playoffs and not just the play in. I think you can get a cost controlled guy equal or similar or better than OG at 4…..and then you can add to it with other moves. That is what I mean. Would love to have OG but not at the cost of the 4th and pieces…….and Vassell is a role player who can be replicated by another acquisition.
Of course you can. The question is will you.

There's the potential to draft someone better or equal to Anunoby at #4 just like there is the potential to draft someone much worse than Anunoby at #4. Considering McNair does not have an extension and there being such a huge emphasis on making the playoffs this season, is McNair willing to take that risk? I'm not so sure.

I also think putting a cap on Vassell is a little unfair in his young career. I feel like his floor is a role player considering his size, length, athleticism, shooting, and defense, but he has some ballhandling, passing, and midrange shooting potential as well. I wouldn't restrict the 21 year old to a role player just yet.

OG playing next to an All NBA (Siakam) and ROY (Scottie Barnes) who play positions similar to him and overlap his role, averaged 17/5.5/2.6 with 1.5 stl and 36% from 3 (a down year accuracy wise as he shot 39% each of the last 2 years. To me, there will not be a cost controlled player better than him. His numbers were equivalent to Harrison Barnes and he is a far better defender. And he's locked for 2 more years (with PO for a 3rd). I'm not not sure you can get another player without giving up more draft capital than this year who produced like he does. Only person out there I see that may also be getable is Jeremi Grant but i think you have to give up more to get him, especially when Pistons are literally 1 spot behind us.

OG playing next to an All NBA (Siakam) and ROY (Scottie Barnes) who play positions similar to him and overlap his role, averaged 17/5.5/2.6 with 1.5 stl and 36% from 3 (a down year accuracy wise as he shot 39% each of the last 2 years. To me, there will not be a cost controlled player better than him. His numbers were equivalent to Harrison Barnes and he is a far better defender. And he's locked for 2 more years (with PO for a 3rd). I'm not not sure you can get another player without giving up more draft capital than this year who produced like he does. Only person out there I see that may also be getable is Jeremi Grant but i think you have to give up more to get him, especially when Pistons are literally 1 spot behind us.
I think Grant's trade value is considerably less than Anunoby's value.
  1. Grant is 28 and Anunoby is 24.
  2. Grant could be a rental considering his contract expires after this season while Anunboy has at least 2 years left on his deal (3 years if he opts in)
  3. Grant makes $4 mil more than Anunoby this year, and it's rumored that Grant is seeking a pay raise in free agency making that gap even wider

I think Grant could be had for a mid 1st. I think his value is comparable to Barnes.

Another option is going for both Brogdon & Anunoby but we'd have to gut basically all of our depth to make salaries work. Something like...

DAL Gets: Richaun Holmes & Justin Holiday
DAL Gives: Dwight Powell, Trey Burke, & #26
Why for DAL? The Mavs upgrade their starting C spot and grab a decent 3&D bench wing to further complement Doncic.

IND Gets: Dwight Powell, Mo Harkless, Terence Davis, Alex Len, Trey Burke, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, & #4
IND Gives: Malcolm Brogdon, Myles Turner, & Chris Duarte
Why for IND? They sell off their win now vets (even Duarte is already 24) for a bunch of expirings and a Top 4 pick. They move forward into their rebuild with Haliburton, #4, & #6 as the initial building blocks.

TOR Gets: Myles Turner, Chris Duarte, Chimezie Metu, & #26
TOR Gives: OG Anunoby & Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Why for TOR? Clears the way for Barnes & Siakam to start at the 3 & 4 long term while they get an elite rim protecting, floor spacing C to stretch the floor. They also get another shooter in Duarte to help with their floor spacing and a late 1st to add some cheap, young depth.

SAC Gets: Malcolm Brogdon & OG Anunoby
SAC Gives: Richaun Holmes, Justin Holiday, Mo Harkless, Terence Davis, Alex Len, Chimezie Metu, & #4
Why for SAC? The Kings eliminate the risk of taking a rookie and hoping he's ready to help the team win from day 1 (since McNair likely needs to the team to compete for the playoffs this season to keep his job). They upgrade their weakest positions (SG & PF).

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Brogdon / DiVincenzo
SF - Barnes
PF - Anunoby / Lyles
C - Sabonis
Picks - #37 / #49

I'd prefer Vassell because we keep all of our depth and have the opportunity to sign a big FA in the 2023 offseason, but if McNair is really desperate to make the playoffs this season, perhaps he's willing to sacrifice that cap space in 2023 to make it happen.