Do we keep Skal?

Should we keep Skal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With the deadline approaching and plenty of front court talent in this year's draft class I can't help but wonder if moving Skal now makes sense. Skal's game still has many holes and he doesn't seem to grasp basic perimeter defense schemes. On the other hand he still could end up being a good player and shows those flashes from time to time. I ask a mod to please make a poll so we can get a general idea of where the fan base stands on Skal. Thx in advance.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'll gladly make the poll but I'm not sure what the question or possible answers are that you're looking for. :)

gunks

Hall of Famer
Right now? No.

In three years? Maybe. Maybe even very good.

That's why I think we should hold on to him, rather than sell low.

Roster balance is critical though, and in a league trending small we may find ourselves with way too many bigs if we end up with Ayton, Bagely (lotto gods willing) or even Bamba or Jackson Jr. But if that happens, I'd like us to ship out KK and Z-bo before our high upside youngsters.

He grew ip in haiti. How well do yoi think he was coached?

He played his senior year in high school i the states. Again hiw well do you think he was coached?

1 year at KU.
So basically he's on year 3 of learning how to play.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
You can't move this guy on his rookie deal unless someone is getting stupid in what they are offering.

But basically he'd appeal to a team that is good now and looking to stash him 2-3 years and develop with no expectations and those teams can't offer us anything.

No way. I still can't believe that the Kings considered getting rid of him as part of the deal to send Hill to the Cavs. We may never know the truth about that one.
Just like I have always argued that WCS deserved three full years to prove he's our long-term Center, Skal deserves three full years to prove he's our long-term PF.

No way. I still can't believe that the Kings considered getting rid of him as part of the deal to send Hill to the Cavs. We may never know the truth about that one.
Just like I have always argued that WCS deserved three full years to prove he's our long-term Center, Skal deserves three full years to prove he's our long-term PF.
All that has to be done is one team asking the other team about player X for a rumor to go wild. About the same as the completely falsified (IMHO) Lebron to the Warriors BS that likely generated countless clicks for BSPN.

Cavs: How about Skal, would you consider trading him?
Kings: No
Cavs: Ok what about.....
Journalist: sources tell me Skal was discussed in a deal for Hill

Skal has been extremely disappointing. Honestly, I don't even know how he's averaging 7.9pts 4.5rebs.. we all know that number doesn't actually match him. I've been frustrated with his player growth this year. He hasn't improved in any area. He constantly gets lost on both ends. Has the lowest bball IQ in the league.

But, we should gamble and roll the dice with him. Skal and try to see what type of player he can develop into. I think he's raw, but why not? . However, I wouldn't be opposed to trading him. Give me a future 1st or another young player with upside.

List of young players I'd like:
  1. Zach Collins
  2. OG Anunoby
  3. Domanta Sabonis (doubt they'd do this)
  4. Taurean Prince

Skal has been extremely disappointing. Honestly, I don't even know how he's averaging 7.9pts 4.5rebs.. we all know that number doesn't actually match him. I've been frustrated with his player growth this year. He hasn't improved in any area. He constantly gets lost on both ends. Has the lowest bball IQ in the league.
It's not possible to have the lowest bball IQ in the league in a league that includes Ben McLemore. Unless your name is Ben McLemore.

All that has to be done is one team asking the other team about player X for a rumor to go wild. About the same as the completely falsified (IMHO) Lebron to the Warriors BS that likely generated countless clicks for BSPN.

Cavs: How about Skal, would you consider trading him?
Kings: No
Cavs: Ok what about.....
Journalist: sources tell me Skal was discussed in a deal for Hill
Exactly. Or as I speculated the Cavs were throwing in a 2nd rounder to sweeten the deal, the Kings countered asking for 1st rounder, the Cavs countered their counter asking for Skal.

I think the Hill deal is dead. They came to their senses.

Vlade should have struck when the iron was hot to unload Hill after the Cavs allowed 150 points at home to the Thunder at the peak of their desperation.

The Cavs aren't playing great but they have won 3 of 4.

It's not possible to have the lowest bball IQ in the league in a league that includes Ben McLemore. Unless your name is Ben McLemore.
Skal has worse IQ than Ben. Unable to recover from a screen is one thing.. but consistently taking wrong angles on defense is another. Skal's IQ is horrible. To be completely fair to him, he did start the game late... but it's the worst I've ever seen.

I think your question can certainly be answered in more than just one way.

"Do we keep Skal?"

Right now, as in, do we keep him past the trade deadline coming up in a few days? Absolutely, we do. Because we're probably not going to get much in terms of value in return.

Do we keep him going into the future? That's a black and white issue to me, and it is not only a B&W with Skal, it is the same with almost every "tradeable" player out there, on any team. You always look to move your pieces if it's the right move. I don't think everyone, in that sense, is virtually untradeable. I honestly believe that you can move every player on a given roster for the right pieces in return. Even a guy like LeBron can be traded if Cleveland gets a crazy package in return. I am sure the Spurs would have also traded Tim Duncan in a heartbeat if the other team offered them 10 future 1st round draft picks, a few thousand dollars in cash, and about 50% of their roster.

Now...Am I saying that the Spurs would have traded Timmy? No, I am not. Timmy was the Spurs. The Spurs were Timmy. I don't think he would have ever agreed to wear another team's colors. Nor do I think that Pop would have allowed Timmy to wear another team's colors. All I am saying is that, for the right offer, even a guy like Tim Duncan is not considered "untouchable".

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think the Kings ever considered that. It strongly appears that all the rumors on the Hill trade to the Cavs came from less than stellar sources.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Can't agree with you, Blob. Skal's had far less experience than McLemore, hence his angular triangulation isn't up to par. He has 2x the brain of McLemore, and while we're at it we've got to throw in Jason Thompson who easily beats them all hands down. When it takes a guy five years to finally figure out that on defense he doesn't have his hands up vertically instead of at a 45 degree angle, he wins the prize!

I don't understand the fascination with trading young guys, who're still finding their feet in the game. What do we hope to get in return? A 2nd round pick, or a low 1st rounder if we are lucky.

While you can always hit pay dirt, you don't make trades with that hope. What's the chance that the pick we get will eventually turn out to be better than him?

He's on a rookie contract. We don't need the cap space, and we don't need to clear up roster space for some big trade (oh I certainly hope that's not the case). So, what exactly do we gain by trading him (or Papa for that matter for similar reasons)?

If we do draft a big man, and Giles comes in strong, we'll certainly have a problem of finding minutes for all, and developing them. I don't think the value of either player will get much lower than right now though, so there is nothing to be gained at this point. We never know where and whom we'll end up drafting or what possibilities might come up during draft/FA, or even the next trading deadline. We gain absolutely nothing by trading either guys now.

Exactly. Or as I speculated the Cavs were throwing in a 2nd rounder to sweeten the deal, the Kings countered asking for 1st rounder, the Cavs countered their counter asking for Skal.

I think the Hill deal is dead. They came to their senses.

Vlade should have struck when the iron was hot to unload Hill after the Cavs allowed 150 points at home to the Thunder at the peak of their desperation.

The Cavs aren't playing great but they have won 3 of 4.
They aren't beating the good teams though.

They way they are playing, I doubt Bron signs with them again. If they are thinking the same, they shall absolutely not trade the Brooklyn pick.

I would keep Skal but not at all costs. If I can get better by trading him by all means go for it.

Skal needs to work on his defense and getting stronger. The only way he gets game time for a solid team is if he is solid defensively. At the moment he is a liability at that end.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This whole thread is moot at this point, especially since the initial premise involved whether we should consider trading him BEFORE the trade deadline. What happens going forward is a totally different situation IMHO.

This whole thread is moot at this point, especially since the initial premise involved whether we should consider trading him BEFORE the trade deadline. What happens going forward is a totally different situation IMHO.
This is on point because the next move for us is the draft. Meaning we don’t need to think several steps ahead because we won’t have a chance to trade him until the draft anyways so it’s just wait and see what’s available to us wherever we end up picking. I expect this topic to be revisited though if we are looking at drafting a big at our spot or packaging him to move up to get our guy.

I would prefer a defensive 3/4 beast getting his minutes.

I think Skal could possibly make it in the league if he becomes a lights out 3 point shooter and ramps up his intensity.

But as far as this Kings squad goes I'd rather see a defensive player in his spot.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This is on point because the next move for us is the draft. Meaning we don’t need to think several steps ahead because we won’t have a chance to trade him until the draft anyways so it’s just wait and see what’s available to us wherever we end up picking. I expect this topic to be revisited though if we are looking at drafting a big at our spot or packaging him to move up to get our guy.
Certainly. I fully expect to see threads about Skal, WCS, and maybe even a couple of others ... it's almost guaranteed. :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I would prefer a defensive 3/4 beast getting his minutes.

I think Skal could possibly make it in the league if he becomes a lights out 3 point shooter and ramps up his intensity.

But as far as this Kings squad goes I'd rather see a defensive player in his spot.
Personally, I'd rather see more of him before I pass judgment. He just needs to find a way to stay in the lineup.

I'd really like to see him average 30min a night from here on out. Enough of this sharing minutes with the vets stuff. Need to quit just dipping their toe in the water with some of these guys and see if they have what it takes or not. We will never know if he comes back and plays 17min a night.

More minutes means more mistakes but it also means more attempts to correct his mistakes.