DirecTV / Comcast Sports Net Frustrations

It appears that DirecTV is having problems with Comcast Sports Net (Channel 656) with people in Northern California who are not in the Sacramento Area. I had Channel 656 for the first three weeks it was on the DirecTV lineup.

However, for the last week I have continuously been getting "For ordering info call cust. serv. x721". Tonight I've had enough and called DirecTV again for an explanation. The customer service rep and I went through the normal checklist ("Is the receiver plugged into the phone line?", reset the receiver, and re-sent the authroization to the receivers). Finally, the customer service rep deactivated and reactivated my receivers. Alas, Channel 656 starts working!

I start changing to other channels and realized that I had all the sports channels! After logging in to my DirecTV account online, I found out why Channel 656 started working - the guy added the Sports Pack for $12 more a month to my account without my authorization! Immediately I called back to DirecTV and got another service rep who reversed the Sports Pack charge and deactivated the sports pack. Channel 656 immediately turned off, and I had to explain to her my problem.

She gave me the following explanation: DirecTV is having problems with the new Regional Sports networks. They are not getting broadcasted to all the customers who qualify to receive them. It is hit and miss - sometimes they work somtimes they don't. She said that they are actively working on trying to solve the problems with their satellites. One thing for certain - both customer service reps agree that I should be getting Channel 656 based on my Zip Code (95519).

Is anyone else in Northern California still having problems with receiving Comcast Sports Net on DirecTV?

Yeah Tomcat, I'm having the same problems here in Santa Cruz. Channel 656 works until the kings game goes on, then it goes blank, then it comes back on after the game is over. At first I talked with a DirecTV rep and they told me perhaps I was being "blacked out" for home games, which made no sense given where I am, but then I found away games were getting blocked, too. DirecTV says they don't have control over who Comcast Sports Net allows to watch the game- the representative said they are under contract to only show games to the zip codes allowed by Comcast SportsNetWest. When I pushed them on it, they gave me the number to CSNW and told me to contact them directly, as it was out of their hands, they said. I think this is totally frustrating.

I'm not sure where to go on this. Let me know if you have had any luck with a strategy. I even have Tivo, and I've now recorded 3 hours of black screen TWICE. Blah! :mad:

Last edited:
SCKingsfan said:
Yeah Tomcat, I'm having the same problems here in Santa Cruz. Channel 565 works until the kings game goes on, then it goes blank, then it comes back on after the game is over. At first I talked with a DirecTV rep and they told me perhaps I was being "blacked out" for home games, which made no sense given where I am, but then I found away games were getting blocked, too. DirecTV says they don't have control over who Comcast Sports Net allows to watch the game- the representative said they are under contract to only show games to the zip codes allowed by Comcast SportsNetWest. When I pushed them on it, they gave me the number to CSNW and told me to contact them directly, as it was out of their hands, they said. I think this is totally frustrating.

I'm not sure where to go on this. Let me know if you have had any luck with a strategy. I even have Tivo, and I've now recorded 3 hours of black screen TWICE. Blah!
i have the same problem... it sucks being in the warriors area... i might have to order the sports pack...

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
i have the same problem... it sucks being in the warriors area... i might have to order the sports pack...
You might want to double check to see if you even GET these game with the Sportpack, because I remember being talked into ordering the Sportspack last week (the representative was confused about whether I could get CSNW without it) but, as I recall, the game still was blacked out. So I'd make sure before I bothered ordering--you may face double disappointment. :rolleyes:

I am thinking that you will never see the Kings game on CSNW if you live in the Warriors area (bay area down through central coast, maybe over through Modesto). They black out Knicks games and Bulls games even when you have those channels, right?

However, if you do live in Warriors territory, and have DirectTV, then try watching the replay (or recording it for later) after every Kings game. It shows up for me, and I've been able to watch the last three games.

I don't know if that applies to you, Tomcat, probably not if your zip code is in the Kings home area. Somebody posted a link a couple weeks ago to the DirecTV site that lets you input your zip code and gives you your "local" teams if you're not sure.

The thing is I do not live in Warriors territory (Thank God!). This is what gets spit out when I am at the DTV web site searching for my RSN:

LOCAL REGIONAL SPORTS
NETWORK INFORMATION

The 95519 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro team(s):

With any TOTAL CHOICE® package:

FOX Sports Net Bay Area (Ch. 654)
# Oakland Athletics
# Sacramento Kings
# San Francisco Giants
# San Jose Earthquakes
# San Jose Sharks

Reference: http://www.directvsports.com/asp/active/RSN_Info.asp