Desert Island Authors Draft

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The Setup:
Capt. Factorial and seven compatriots have been convicted of Napoleonesque crimes and have been sentenced to exile on separate tropical islands. Because your wardens are relatively benevolent (they didn't simply execute you, after all), they have assured you that your needs (shelter, food, water) will be provided for, but to ensure that you have no contact with the outside world or each other in an attempt to rise again, there will be no electronics whatsoever. TV, radio, internet, all will be things of the past to you. To prevent you from being completely bored out of your gourd as you spend the rest of life under the noonday sun of paradise, your wardens have acceded to your request to provide each of you with the entire collected works of 20 authors to while away your time. Because they are at least partially cruel, your wardens have added the restriction that none of you may select the same author and they have set up a draft, just to watch you squirm.

The Rules:
1. All Genres/Media
: Nonfiction, fiction, poetry, picturebooks, magazine articles, internet posts, etc. will all be included - if an author works in multiple genres/media, by drafting them you get all genres/media.

2. Compilations: If a work appears in a bound compilation, magazine, internet site, etc. simultaneously published alongside other authors, you explicitly do not get the work of other authors. A book where individual chapters are alternately credited to Abby Ceady and Jake Lemon is considered a multiple-author compilation and will fall under this rule.
3. Co-Authorship: Works which are intrinsically collaborative (as opposed to compilation of pieces from individual authors) are considered to be co-authored. A co-authored book will be included in the works of BOTH authors so long as it is a rare collaboration: two or fewer works shared among co-authors. If the same co-authors produce three or more books/major works together, or are otherwise adjudged to be habitual collaborators, their collaborations must be drafted separately from their individual works (e.g., you could draft “co-author” Abby Ceady-Jake Lemon to get their "Man O' Pique" trilogy, even if Abby Ceady's individual work, sans said trilogy, had already been drafted).
4. Translations/Editions: If the author's works appear in multiple translations, or in multiple editions, you would be allowed to select your preferred translation/edition, though you need not specify that at the time of drafting.
5. No Translators/Illustrators: Translators and illustrators may not be drafted on their own (but author-illustrators may). If you specifically wish to have a copy of their translated/illustrated works you must draft the original author.
6. Traditional Authorship: Works of antiquity whose authorship is uncertain or contested will be considered to have been written by the traditional author. Works without a traditional author are not eligible for selection (e.g., you can't select "Anonymous", or "Whoever it was that wrote 'Arias To You' ")
7. Pen Names: If an author has alternately written under multiple names (pen names, etc.), all works by that author will be included so long as the multiple names are publicly accepted to be the same person. In this case, you should draft the best-known name and note the other names this author has used.
8. Already Published: Only works that have been published as of the start date of the draft (6-5-2012) will be included.
9. Draft Order: Draft order will snake. Order will be determined through a suitable randomization procedure. Observer VF21 has volunteered to perform the randomization.
10. Contingencies: Any necessary adjudication will be made by Capt. Factorial (probably with the help of Wikipedia).

As always, put a little effort into your write-up of your pick. Convince us that we would want to be stuck reading this author for the rest of our lives!

PMs to all participants will be sent out shortly. Once you have made your pick, please PM the next drafter on the list. We will use the customary 24-hour rule - you get 24 hours to make your selection (though to keep things moving you are encouraged to be as prompt as reasonable) before your position is passed and we move on to the next drafter. Passed picks may be made up at any time.

We will start as soon as the randomized list comes in! Happy drafting!

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Draft Results:

NoBonus

1.01 - Douglas Adams
2.08 - Edgar Allan Poe
3.01 - Stan Lee
4.08 - Paul the Apostle
5.01 - C.S. Lewis
6.08 - Sergio Aragonés
7.01 - Al Jaffee
8.08 - Dante Alighieri
9.01 - Judy Blume
10.08 - Jack London
11.01 - Louis L'Amour
12.08 - Sun Tzu
13.01 - Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht
14.08 - Rudyard Kipling
15.01 - Scott O'Dell
16.08 - Johann David Wyss
17.01 - Daniel Defoe
18.08 - King Solomon
19.01 - William Gaines and Al Feldstein
20.08 - James Dobson

jalfa

1.02 - Charles Dickens
2.07 - Terry Pratchett
3.02 - Philip K. Dick
4.07 - Alan Moore
5.02 - Hunter S. Thompson
6.07 - F. Scott Fitzgerald
7.02 - A.A. Milne
8.07 - J.K. Rowling
9.02 - Oscar Wilde
10.07 - T.S.Eliot
11.02 - Peter Carey
12.07 - Michel Foucault
13.02 - Neil Gaiman
14.07 - Virginia Woolf
15.02 - Matt Ruff
16.07 - Robert Louis Stevenson
17.02 - Arto Paasilinna
18.07 - Max Frisch
19.02 - Samuel Beckett
20.07 - Patricia Grace

Capt. Factorial

1.03 - J.R.R. Tolkien
2.06 - Homer
3.03 - Kurt Vonnegut
4.06 - Victor Hugo
5.03 - George Orwell
6.06 - Neal Stephenson
7.03 - Douglas Hofstadter
8.06 - Geoffrey Chaucer
9.03 - James Joyce
10.06 - Jorge Luis Borges
11.03 - Joan Didion
12.06 - Fyodor Dostoevsky
13.03 - John Milton
14.06 - Martin Gardner
15.03 - Haruki Murakami
16.06 - William Butler Yeats
17.03 - Marcel Proust
18.06 - Ovid
19.03 - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
20.06 - T.H. White

kingsnation

1.04 - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
2.05 - Jules Verne
3.04 - Alexandre Dumas
4.05 - Gary Larson
5.04 - Jane Austen
6.05 - Richard Matheson
7.04 - Maya Angelou
8.05 - H.G. Wells
9.04 - Ralph Waldo Emerson
10.05 - Carl Sandberg
11.04 - John Grisham
12.05 - Wilbur Smith
13.04 - Suzanne Collins
14.05 - Peter Abrahams
15.04 - Charles Schulz
16.05 - Mitch Albom
17.04 - Timothy Zahn
18.05 - Dashiell Hammett
19.04 - Paolo Lins
20.05 - Herman Melville

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Draft Results

Kennadog

1.05 - John Steinbeck
2.04 - Harper Lee
3.05 - Stephen King
4.04 - Ken Follett
5.05 - Dave Barry
6.04 - John Angus McPhee
7.05 - Ross MacDonald
8.04 - Beverly Cleary
9.05 - Emily Dickinson
10.04 - Laurie King
11.05 - Khaled Hosseini
12.04 - Marilynne Robinson
13.05 - Mary Stewart
14.04 - Ken Kesey
15.05 - James Herriot
16.04 - Laura Hillenbrand
17.05 - Willa Cather
18.04 - Robert Frost
19.05 - Eugene O'Neill
20.04 - Kathy Reichs

Warhawk

1.06 - Frank Herbert
2.03 - Isaac Asimov
3.06 - Tom Clancy
4.03 - Scott Adams
5.06 - Michael Crichton
6.03 - Orson Scott Card
7.06 - Stephen R. Donaldson
8.03 - Dr. Seuss
9.06 - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (co-authors)
10.03 - Dan Brown
11.06 - James Clavell
12.03 - James Rollins
13.06 - Anne Frank
14.03 - Stephen Hawking
15.06 - Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
16.03 - Leonardo da Vinci
17.06 - Douglas Preston
18.03 - Arthur C. Clarke
19.06 - E.W. Bullinger
20.03 - Thomas Jefferson

Jespher

1.07 - Mark Twain
2.02 - William Shakespeare
3.07 - Bill Watterson
4.02 - Roald Dahl
5.07 - Ursula LeGuin
6.02 - George Carlin (as an author)
7.07 - Ernest Hemingway
8.02 - John Muir
9.07 - Edgar Rice Burroughs
10.02 - William Goldman
11.07 - Oliver Sacks
12.02 - Carl Sagan
13.07 - Anne Rice
14.02 - Frank Miller
15.07 - William Faulkner
16.02 - Dick Schaap
17.07 - Robert Jordan
18.02 - Miguel de Cervantes
19.07 - Tom Brown Jr.
20.02 - Andy Goldsworthy

Prophetess

1.08 - Robert Heinlein
2.01 - Agatha Christie
3.08 - Ray Bradbury
4.01 - Lewis Carroll
5.08 - Shel Silverstein
6.01 - Piers Anthony
7.08 - Anne McCaffrey
8.01 - Terry Goodkind
9.08 - C.J. Cherryh
10.01 - Robert Service
11.08 - Dean Koontz
12.01 - Lilian Jackson Braun
13.08 - L. Frank Baum
14.01 - Thomas Paine
15.08 - Michael Moorcock
16.01 - Aristotle
17.08 - David Brin
18.01 - Walt Whitman
19.08 - Nicolas Sparks
20.01 - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The random draft order, courtesy of www.randomizer.org, is as follows:

8, 3, 1, 4, 7, 5, 6, 2

Teams will draft in the following order:

1. NoBonus
2. jalfa
3. Capt. Factorial
4. kingsnation
5. Kennadog
6. Warhawk
7. Jespher
8. Prophetess

Have fun!

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Draft order randomization is in already! (VF21 is the best! Thanks!)

1. NoBonus
2. jalfa
3. Capt. Factorial
4. kingsnation
5. Kennadog
6. Warhawk
7. Jespher
8. Prophetess

We're good to go, with NoBonus up...now!

Okay, I am ready to draft... I am not what anyone would call a traditional book person, but I do know what I like to read now and that is what I am going on. When I think of books I like to read and re-read, most of this guy's body of work is on the list.

I select:
Douglas Adams
Wiki Here
I never seem to want to stop reading and re-reading the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy five-book "trilogy". I have read a few of his others, but no author has five books in my top 50 list, or top 20 list, or top 10 list... expect Douglas Adams. Very funny author, very open-minded science fiction. Love it.

This general approval of my first pick is frightening... either you all are going to immediately pick every author on my list as you have similar tastes OR you are congratulating me on picking someone you like, but wouldn't pick... you just can't win with paranoia...

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
This general approval of my first pick is frightening... either you all are going to immediately pick every author on my list as you have similar tastes OR you are congratulating me on picking someone you like, but wouldn't pick... you just can't win with paranoia...
Douglas Adams was unlikely to be my first-round pick but I would definitely have picked him in the first half of the draft and maybe as early as the second, depending on how my list goes.

BTW, did you PM jalfa?

Okay, I am ready to draft... I am not what anyone would call a traditional book person, but I do know what I like to read now and that is what I am going on. When I think of books I like to read and re-read, most of this guy's body of work is on the list.

I select:
Douglas Adams
Wiki Here
I never seem to want to stop reading and re-reading the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy five-book "trilogy". I have read a few of his others, but no author has five books in my top 50 list, or top 20 list, or top 10 list... expect Douglas Adams. Very funny author, very open-minded science fiction. Love it.
wow. just...not good, at all. my first choice and I don't get to it with the 2nd pick? so uncool. also, agreed with the Captain, Dirk Gently rules (and Last Chance to See does too).

kind of too upset for a writeup now, will get done some time tomorrow. my choice: Charles Dickens.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
With my first pick I select: J.R.R. Tolkien

J.R.R. Tolkien was a master fantasist, but he went far deeper than most in creating Middle-Earth. In an effort to simulate a rich and fundamentally British mythology which he felt was lacking (as opposed to say, the well-established Greek or Roman mythologies) he created a full history and several languages to go with it. Although his longstanding passion lay in the early legends that would eventually be collected in The Silmarillion, he is obviously best known for his more accessible works which draw on that history - The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, the latter considered by many to be the greatest fantasy novel of all time (and I could be convinced to argue greatest novel, period). One of the most interesting aspects of Tolkien's writing was his embrace of alliterative verse, which was common in Old English/Germanic/Norse poetry but had been largely abandoned by the 15th century (a sample of which is below).

Lived: 1892-1973
Major Works: The Hobbit; The Lord of the Rings; The Silmarillion; numerous near-complete or fragmentary works published posthumously including the Lay of the Children of Hurin, the Lay of Leithian. Limited non-Middle-Earth work including the Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun.
Quote: (From The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King)
Stern now was Eomer's mood, and his mind clear again. He let blow the horns to rally all men to his banner that could come hither; for he thought to make a great shield wall at the last, and stand, and fight there on foot till all fell, and do deed of song on the fields of Pelennor, though no man should be left in the West to remember the last King of the Mark. So he rode to a green hillock and there set his banner, and the White Horse ran rippling in the wind.

"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin, and a red nightfall!"

These staves he spoke, yet he laughed as he said them. For once more lust of battle was on him; and he was still unscathed, and he was young and he was king: the lord of a fell people. And lo! even as he laughed at despair he looked out again on the black ships, and he lifted up his sword to defy them.

wow. just...not good, at all. my first choice and I don't get to it with the 2nd pick? so uncool. also, agreed with the Captain, Dirk Gently rules (and Last Chance to See does too).

kind of too upset for a writeup now, will get done some time tomorrow. my choice: Charles Dickens.
Oliver Twist is one of my favorites! Nice pickup!

Keeping it moving...

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

This was going to be my first pick either way, but I've already lost 2 other picks here in the first round :eek:

I've always loved Doyle, specifically Sherlock Holmes. Very excited to start off with him at 1. Doyle is well known as one of the innovators in crime/mystery writing. IMO, a true legend whose works have lasted the test of time.

More..

Last edited:
Keeping it moving...

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

This was going to be my first pick either way, but I've already lost 2 other picks here in the first round :eek:

I've always loved Doyle, specifically Sherlock Holmes. Very excited to start off with him at 1. Doyle is well known as one of the innovators in crime/mystery writing. IMO, a true legend whose works have lasted the tested of time.

More..
Love the mustache... I wish people would grow those more...

Wow, 4 picks in and 4 British authors off the board. 3 out of the 4 were up there on my list and excellent choices by all. Love the comedy of Douglas Adams, though I'm not versed in his other works besides the HGTTG series. I wouldn't pick up Dickens for pleasure reading, but he is clearly a literary wizard. Tolkein was very high on my list as I suspect a lot of sci-fi/fantasy fans in this draft, and Sir Arther Conan Doyle was in the running down the line if he fell...Nice picks!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Keeping it moving...

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I've always loved Doyle, specifically Sherlock Holmes. Very excited to start off with him at 1. Doyle is well known as one of the innovators in crime/mystery writing. IMO, a true legend whose works have lasted the test of time.

More..
Absolutely brilliant pick. I was very curious to see where he would go in this draft. I've got another one I'm waiting to see show up on the board. This is one draft that is a lot of fun just to watch.

:)

Sorry, I've been sick, so I'm not on top of things. My first pick is John Steinbeck. I did a term paper on him in college, because I wanted to read some of his books. Grapes of Wrath just about everyone knows about and it is wonderful. The migrant camp in that book is still open during the season in Arvin, CA, However, at that point in my life the book that had the biggest impact on me was Winter of Our Discontent. Sort of an anomaly among Steinbeck's work as it takes place in New England. Of Mice and Men, The Red Pony, Cannery Row.

For some reason I have yet to read East of Eden. Its on my list.

EDIT: Decided to expand on the write, as I was too sick to do much before. This is actually part of the Nobel Prize webpage writeup (he received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1962 for Grapes of Wrath):

John Steinbeck (1902-1968), born in Salinas, California, came from a family of moderate means. He worked his way through college at Stanford University but never graduated. In 1925 he went to New York, where he tried for a few years to establish himself as a free-lance writer, but he failed and returned to California. After publishing some novels and short stories, Steinbeck first became widely known with Tortilla Flat (1935), a series of humorous stories about Monterey paisanos.

Steinbeck's novels can all be classified as social novels dealing with the economic problems of rural labour, but there is also a streak of worship of the soil in his books, which does not always agree with his matter-of-fact sociological approach. After the rough and earthy humour of Tortilla Flat, he moved on to more serious fiction, often aggressive in its social criticism, to In Dubious Battle (1936), which deals with the strikes of the migratory fruit pickers on California plantations.
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1962/steinbeck-bio.html

I know that his social criticism was part of his appeal to me. Steinbeck so often wrote about the unnoticed, the poor, people struggling with deep problems with nowhere to turn for help. People turned away at the door. Not always the problem of poverty, though. Sometimes it was ordinary people who are just struggling with life. He made it so real, so heartfelt and connected to the souls of his characters.

I'd actually decided recently that I would like to read Travels with Charley. Its about a three-month trip with his dog that took him to forty states.

Last edited:
alright, the seething rage :)mad:) has subsided a bit, so here goes:

Charles Dickens
wiki

"Sadly, sadly the sun rose; it rose upon no sadder sight than the man of good abilities and good emotions, incapable of their directed exercise, incapable of his own help and his own happiness, sensible of the blight on him, and resigning himself to let it eat him away." (A Tale of Two Cities)

Notables: uhh...pretty much everything he wrote? I guess on most people's list would be:

Oliver Twist
David Copperfield
Great Expectations
A Christmas Carol

Personal Favourites:

A Tale of Two Cities
Hard Times

Dickens is one of those writers my classmates have learned to either loathe or fear to the fullest. "roughly 5000000 pages of Victorian Realism? bugger off! I've got other things going on in my life, you know?" was a common sentiment among them. me, I found out that, once you make the time to really sink your teeth into one of these, it is one of the most rewarding literary experiences there is. Dickens might just be the best storyteller there is. his humour, more biting and savage towards the end of his life, is glorious and his characters are brilliant. Be it the lawyer in Great Expectations with his very own castle or the father of the family charged with educating Pip and pulling his hair out. the knitting woman of A Tale of Two Cities or my personal favourite the great Sydney Carton (to whom the above quote is attributed).

in the end, if I have to live the rest of my life on a desert island, I'll definitely have more than enough time to spend on Chuck and his books and will gladly take the opportunity to distract myself from the beaches, sun and beautiful landscapes by plunging into the grime of Victorian London.

P.S.: Tolkien is, of course, a beautiful pick. I hadn't expected him to survive this round though, so the loss doesn't hurt as much.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I'm sure like many others, I have several authors I would like to pick first as I think they will be gone in the first couple rounds.

I think I'll go with....

Frank Herbert

What better author to have on a desert island than one who wrote about a desert planet?

While Dune may not be everyone's cup of tea, I loved it. The six books he wrote in the series are fascinating, full of fantastic creatures and people of amazing abilities. His books are filled with political intrigue and backstabbing. From wiki:

Though also a short story author, he is best known for his novels, most notably Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, deals with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics and power. Dune itself is the "best-selling science fiction novel of all time," and the series is widely considered to be among the classics in the genre.

It won the Nebula Award for Best Novel in 1965 and shared the Hugo Award in 1966 with ...And Call Me Conrad by Roger Zelazny. Dune was the first major ecological science fiction novel, embracing a multitude of sweeping, inter-related themes and multiple character viewpoints, a method that ran through all Herbert's mature work.
I know this means I'll be losing other stuff, but I love the Dune universe and had to have him.

pm sent.

While there are other authors I read for pulp, I don't think this classic writer will make it much farther so I'll grab him now and run. With my 1st selection I choose:

Mark Twain
1835-1910

Mark Twain's writing is synonymous with pure Americana. He brings to the table enough comedy, action, insights, and alliteration to fill up many a dull island weekend. His works include a lifetime of literary achievements from short stories, to the great American novels of Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, The Prince and the Pauper, and a host of others. I'll gladly take his collection with me along for the ride.

Bibliography:
Novels:

The Gilded Age: A Tale of Today (1873)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)
The Prince and the Pauper (1881)
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884)
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1889)
The American Claimant (1892)
Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)
Tom Sawyer Abroad (1894)
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc (1896)
Tom Sawyer, Detective (1896)
A Double Barrelled Detective Story (1902)
A Horse's Tale (1907)
The Mysterious Stranger (1916, posthumous)

Short Stories:

"The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" (1867)
"General Washington's Negro Body-Servant" (1868)
"My Late Senatorial Secretaryship" (1868)
"Some Learned Fables for Good Old Boys and Girls" (1875)
"A Literary Nightmare" (1876)
"A Murder, a Mystery, and a Marriage" (1876)
"The Invalid's Story" (1877)
"The Great Revolution in Pitcairn" (1879)
"1601: Conversation, as it was by the Social Fireside, in the Time of the Tudors" (1880)
"The Stolen White Elephant" (1882)
"Luck" (1891)
"Those Extraordinary Twins" (1892)
"The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg" (1900)
"A Dog's Tale" (1904)
"Extracts from Adam's Diary" (1904)
"The War Prayer" (1905)
"Eve's Diary" (1906)
"Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven" (1909)
"My Platonic Sweetheart" (1912, posthumous)
"The Private Life of Adam and Eve" (1931, posthumous)

Essays:

"The Awful German Language" (1880)
"Advice to Youth" (1882)
"Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses" (1895)
"English As She Is Taught" (1887)
"Concerning the Jews" (1898)
"A Salutation Speech From the Nineteenth Century to the Twentieth" (1900)
"To the Person Sitting in Darkness" (1901)
"To My Missionary Critics" (1901)
"Edmund Burke on Croker and Tammany" (1901)
"What Is Man?" (1906)
"Christian Science" (1907)
"Queen Victoria's Jubilee" (1910)
"The United States of Lyncherdom" (1923, posthumous)

Non-fiction:

The Innocents Abroad (1869), travel
Roughing It (1872), travel
Old Times on the Mississippi (1876), travel
A Tramp Abroad (1880), travel
Life on the Mississippi (1883), travel
Following the Equator (1897), travel
Is Shakespeare Dead? (1909)
Moments with Mark Twain (1920, posthumous)
Mark Twain's Notebook (1935, posthumous)

Other:

Is He Dead? (1898), play
"The Battle Hymn of the Republic, Updated" (1901), satirical lyric
"King Leopold's Soliloquy" (1905), satire
"Little Bessie Would Assist Providence" (1908), poem
Slovenly Peter (1935, posthumous), children's book
Famous Quotes:
"Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand."

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."

"Man is the only animal that blushes - or needs to."

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

"The very ink with which all history is written is merely fluid prejudice."

"Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education."

"The secret of success is making your vocation your vacation."
More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain

Last edited:
Ok....I've been debating and debating with myself. I simply can not let either of these two authors go to any one else. I'm mad enough about Doyle and the others.

For my first pick: Robert A. Heinlein rh.jpg

(July 7, 1907 – May 8, 1988) was an American science fiction writer. Often called the "dean of science fiction writers,"[4] he was one of the most influential and controversial authors of the genre in his time. He set a standard for scientific and engineering plausibility, and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality.

He was one of the first science fiction writers to break into mainstream magazines such as The Saturday Evening Post in the late 1940s. He was one of the best-selling science fiction novelists for many decades.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein

Including the 80's. His death shortly before my high school graduation really brought home to my friends and myself the reality of mortality. While Stranger is one of the books we all really agreed on, I was also fond of several of his others.

Revolt in 2100 (1940/54)

Methuselah's Children (1941/58)

Sixth Column (1941/48) (aka The Day after Tomorrow)

Orphans of the Sky (1941/51)

Waldo & Magic, Inc. (1942)

Rocket Ship Galileo (1947)

Beyond this Horizon (1948)

Space Cadet (1948)

Red Planet (1949)

The Man Who Sold the Moon (1950)

Farmer in the Sky (1950)

Between Planets (1951)

The Puppet Masters (1951)

The Rolling Stones (1952)

Assignment in Eternity (1953)

Starman Jones (1953)

The Green Hills of Earth (1954)

The Star Beast (1954)

Tunnel in the Sky (1955)

Time for the Stars (1956)

The Door into Summer (1956)

Double Star (1956)

Citizen of the Galaxy (1957)

Have Space Suit--Will Travel (1958)

The Menace From Earth (1959)

Starship Troopers (1959)

The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag (1959)

Stranger in a Strange Land (1961) (redacted)

Podkayne of Mars (1962)

Glory Road (1963)

Farnham's Freehold (1964)

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (1966)

The Past through Tomorrow (1967)

I Will Fear No Evil (1970)

Time Enough for Love (1973)

The Notebooks of Lazarus Long (1978)

The Number of the Beast (1980)

Expanded Universe (1980) (nonfiction, includes collected stories)

Friday (1982)

Job: A Comedy of Justice (1984)

The Cat Who Walks through Walls (1985)

To Sail Beyond the Sunset (1987)

Grumbles from the Grave (1989) (collected letters)

Stranger in a Strange Land (1991) (original uncut)
Requiem and Tributes to the Grand Master (1992) (includes collected stories)

Take Back Your Government! (1992) (nonfiction)

Tramp Royale (1992) (nonfiction

Last edited:
With the removal of Doyle, I am taking my second favorite as I simply can not abide the thought of her going to any other island.
agatha_christie1.jpg
Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Christie
DBE (née Miller; 15 September 1890 – 12 January 1976) was a British crime writer of novels, short stories, and plays. She also wrote romances under the name Mary Westmacott, but she is best remembered for her 66 detective novels and more than 15 short story collections (especially those featuring Hercule Poirot or Miss Jane Marple), and her successful West End plays.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Christie is the best-selling novelist of all time. According to Index Translationum, Christie is the most translated individual author, with only the collective corporate works of Walt Disney Productions surpassing her.[2] Her books have been translated into at least 103 languages.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie

Her work has kept me entertained for years and is one of many I will read over and over and over again. I do not tire of her style of writing, I enjoy her plot development as well as her style.

List of her books here:http://fly.cc.fer.hr/~shlede/my/popis.html

Last edited:
Nice picks by Kenna and Jespher. Warhawk- for some reason reading Herbert's books to me is like eating toast without butter. It just feels like it's missing something. Still a nice pick, just not my cup of tea.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Jespher - that might have been my next pick. Well done. I was hoping with the quick turnaround at the bottom of the order he might make it back to me.

proph - I haven't read many of Heinlein's things in a long time. I read Stranger in a Strange Land and was underwhelmed, but it has been a LONG time and maybe now it would mean more to me. Still a good pick.