DeMarcus Cousins Watch, 2021-22 season (was: Boogie to the Bucks!)

What I'm saying is that you don't get to where Cousins was as a basketball player, at his peak, if you have a "loser mentality."
There are degrees of losers. He might have been fine enough to deal with his life pre-NBA, but had obviously failed at getting through the NBA. It's all about your skill and dedication to success. You don't always possess of equal amount of both things throughout your life. And you surely can start to lose your dedication to success due to your skill not being enough.

That was actually me trying to give you the benefit of the doubt: if you go around calling people losers in real life, I am inclined to believe that you are an a*****e. It's one of those things that is considered "acceptable" in the context of sports fandom, however, like booing, and I was allowing for such... But that doesn't mean that you're not hating.
I don't go around calling people losers, just those who are losers and if they are seeking.

I guess I did just say that I "wish he never wins another trophy" so that'd qualified me a hater by default, but I'm merely pointing out his loser tendencies as I see them.

(EDIT: I just read the title of this thread again and I just want to apologize for coming to the D-Cousins shrine and pointed out his flaws. For some reason, I thought it was just about the news of his recent interview. My bad.)

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
There are degrees of losers. He might have been fine enough to deal with his life pre-NBA, but had obviously failed at getting through the NBA. It's all about your skill and dedication to success. You don't always possess of equal amount of both things throughout your life. And you surely can start to lose your dedication to success due to your skill not being enough.
In what sense has he failed "at getting through the NBA"? He's still playing in the NBA. You want to talk about guys who actually failed at getting through the NBA? Larry Sanders failed, Jan Vesely failed, Jimmer Fredette failed, Thomas Robinson failed, Dragan Bender failed. A guy who's played double-digit seasons in the NBA, made multiple All-Star teams, multiple All-NBA teams and started in the NBA Finals has not "failed at getting through the NBA," whether he lived up to his potential, or not.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
If I remember right, he was on the roster early on when they were practicing and there were a lot of reports saying he was outplaying Cousins or something to that effect.
Even if that's true, which I find dubious, they both made the team in 2014, and Cousins made the team in 2016, and Plumlee didn't, and Plumlee had an "in" with the head coach. So, they must have thought that Cousins could provide something that Plumlee could not, that was worth dealing with his so-called "loser mentality." It's not as if they wouldn't have won gold, either way, so if they just needed a backup big, and Cousins is as bad as y'all say, they would have just went with Plumlee, and not have to put up with the "loser" and his "antics."

If I remember right, he was on the roster early on when they were practicing and there were a lot of reports saying he was outplaying Cousins or something to that effect.
All I found was one tweet from Brian Windhorst implying that Plumlee could make it over Cousins, and a whole lot of articles based on that one tweet.

I'm not saying Plumlee is better or anything like that. Just pointing out the connection. I remember basically everyone here laughing at the notion of Plumlee over Cousins.

Speaking of Boogie, what do you guys think of his assertion that his jersey should be retired by the KINGS?

Excerpts from the following article (sorry, didn't see it posted elsewhere): https://andscape.com/features/demarcus-cousins-has-a-lot-left-in-the-tank-and-a-lot-left-to-say/

You averaged 21.1 points and 10.8 rebounds in seven seasons with Sacramento after they drafted you with the fifth overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft. Would you want to see your No. 15 jersey retired there?

"I put the time and work in. I hold many records there. I honestly think I’m the best player to ever come through Sacramento. And I stand on that, absolutely."

Do you think you got Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame numbers?

"Vlade Divac is in the Hall of Fame."

I’m asking about you.

"Vlade Divac is in the Hall of Fame. … Look at his [career statistics] and look at mine. We’ll leave it at that."

While I vehemently disagree with him regarding his belief that he's the best player to ever come through SAC (he's delusional about that), I can't disagree with him about anything else.

I was firmly against the retiring of Vlade and Peja's jerseys for numerous reasons, one of which was it set a dangerous precedent. If those guys jersey's are hanging in the rafters then purely based upon tenure and production -- so should Boogie's.

If it's based upon "team" accomplishments and/or leadership then C-Webb, Vlade and Peja shouldn't be the only players from the 1998-2006 era to be in the rafters.

IMO the only SAC era players worthy of jersey retirement were Mitch and Chris. They were undoubtedly the best players of their era/team. The best SAC has ever had.

Peja and Boogie would be the next players on the list behind them IMO.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I mean, it would be weird if, with as many jersey numbers as have been retired by this franchise, that DeMarcus Cousins would be the only one who didn't get his team to the playoffs at least once, right? Not that it was all on him, and I wouldn't hate it if it happened but, still.

That aside, I'm here for all the Divac slander. Inject that **** into my veins.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I mean, it would be weird if, with as many jersey numbers as have been retired by this franchise, that DeMarcus Cousins would be the only one who didn't get his team to the playoffs at least once, right? Not that it was all on him, and I wouldn't hate it if it happened but, still.

Vlade’s jersey should be torn from the rafters and burnt. Two of the worst things to ever happen to the Kings we’re directly because of him.

F the tip, and F the pick.

Right. Even Mitch got to the postseason once. But also had much better surrounding talent on that 1996 team than Boogie ever had. Unfortunately Boogie played through an era of awful draft picks and a revolving coaching carousel.

We’ve seen him at a level much less that what he once was perform quite well in the postseason for both Denver and Golden State. I’m pretty sure prime Boogie would have been much better. But I digress.

Only Mitch Richmond has scored more points as a Sacramento King. Yes, Boogie scored more points than both CWebb and Peja.

DeMarcus also owns the SAC era record for total rebounds and is 2nd for triple doubles. He has over 1,000 more rebounds than CWebb.

If Vlade and Peja are up in the rafters — so too should Boogie be.

As I said, I never believed either should be retired, it set a terrible precedent. Had this franchise won a couple titles with those guys, I’d understand it more.

But since they didn’t (yes, most believe we should have won one) then only the best players from those eras should have been considered. That’s Mitch and Webber. Nobody else.

That said, Peja has a much better case than Vlade ever did. Being a great team leader and good guy in the locker room isn’t enough. Performance on the court matters more. And Vlade was never outstanding. Good, but not great.

Swap Vlade for Boogie in a time machine from 1998 to 2003 and those teams are even better. Demarcus was a skilled passer too. And better at everything else.

And before anyone counters with “Demarcus had poor demeanor on the court and complained too much”, please remember that Vlade was the biggest flopper in the league and also complained to the refs all the damn time.

Last edited:
Swap Vlade for Boogie in a time machine from 1998 to 2003 and those teams are even better. Demarcus was a skilled passer too. And better at everything else.
No that's not how it works, again replace the corpse of Z-Bo for prime DMC and the Kings get the same or similar amount of wins (both missed a good chunk of time with injuries as well/tanking games eventually).......which was proven with Z-Bo as a #1 option. For as much crap as I give to Fox that one season where the Kings won 38-40 games he was better than in any season of Cousins. The whole thing where he never had help is crap as well IT went on to be a MVP candidate while in Boston before injury and Evans helped the Pelicans reach the playoffs when the Kings traded him for Vasquez.

Last edited: