DeAaron Fox - meeting expectations?

Is DeAaron Fox meeting your expectations?

• He's not quite as good as I thought he'd be.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm disappointed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, time for another poll.

What's your feeling? This is in response to some comments in the Spurs game thread I had to walk away from.

Considering his age, current frame, questions about his shot when we drafted him, and everything we knew about his speed I think he is right about where most expected. I am extremely encouraged by his finishing ability at the rim at this point and that’s something that should just get even better with time when he’s 2-3 Years down the line with a more developed frame. He has legitimate #1 scoring option potential and will be able to open the game for his teammates even more once he fully adjusts to the speed of the NBA. His shot looks to be something that will hopefully get better with time and I can definitely see him having a Mike Conley like development with it and it’s likely that we will see it get more consistent with time.

I voted sometimes. Only because of his lack of "taking over games" I expected him to display. I understand now that he is working on all facets of his game and everything is not going to click right away. For a pg he is doing a phenomenal job in his growth. I just would like to see more from him in regards to when the offense stagnated to look to create for himself. It' obvious he can get ANY shot that he wants. Now he needs to realize when to look for his own offense. He has been too passive but it' more like a "fitting in" issue than a lack of ability issue.

Take the reigns young man. Lead by example. And hit those 16-18 footers and you become unstoppable.

A 6 for 6 game from behind the arc this early into his career is nothing to dismiss.

Remember when the Kings had a eventual rookie of the year putting up 20/5/5? That guy came into the league with questions about his perimeter shot too but never once did what FOX did tonight. The most Tyreke ever made in a game his rookie season was 3.

Different time, different player -- I know. But it just goes to show that FOX's shot is more advanced than many seem to understand. The kid has very good form and the shot looks good. As I said before the Kings drafted him, once he is able to spend all his time working on his craft ... look out! We're starting to see flashes of it now.

I thought player titled threads start with "Any questions?" :).

He is doing as well as can be expected from such a young player at PG. There are many facets of playing this position and he is working on figuring it all out.. I think he is getting a handle of where his limits (physically/athletically) are NOT and is beginning to understand where he actually fits across all the NBA players in that respect, ie the top. I expect him to become better and better at using his athleticism to create shots for himself and to put pressure on opposing guards on defense. Figuring out how to actually run a team will come with time...

The truth is that most of the population is poor at judging point guards in basketball and quarterbacks in football.

He's been good. His only down stretch was his move to the starting line-up where he deferred to the vets... who couldn't match his speed. The league can't match his speed, but his teamamtes need to run when he pushes. The defense collapses hard and he'd have kick-outs for threes when guys run with him.

This is/was my view of him:

-Better passer than I expected. He looks to setup most of the time
-Faster than NBA guys. His speed advantage did not fall off in making the transition.
-Mature, doesn't get frustrated.

-Needs to learn how to set up his defender a bit better. Can't rely purely on speed. Needs a tiny bit of shiftiness.
-Needs some more finishing moves and to improve his % on his floater.
-Mostly a study film thing.

-3pt shooting is improving faster than expected. First month was in the 20s, second month he shot 30% range, and this month he's at 40% range.
-

Goal: Add strength and film sessions.

Most importantly: Setup your offense around his abilities. We wasted a month or two playing an offense built around vets halfway out the door. I will never understand that or the fools that couldn't understand the problem ir presented. Fox doesn't progress being a fourth option in a half court grind. That's not how you develop him.

I think people need to remember he was a 19 year old kid then they drafted him. Most people said do not expect him to come in and kick ass right away. I think he's definitely exceeded expectations in that sense, while showing some glimpses into how special he can be

Positives
1. I love that he's being more aggressive and taking it to the rack. Getting to the Ft line more often
2. He was fearless tonite taking the 3. I would like him to take at least 5-6 a game from here on out. Of course, going 6 for 6 probably wont be the norm. But, if he can he 2-3 with regularity that would be ideal.
3. His defense has certainly escalated over the last few games.

Still Needs Work:

1. He may be a willing passer, but his court vision is not very good. Some body said the opposite on an earlier post. He had a great game tonite. But, 3 assists is not at all decent for a PG.

2. Fox has improved on D. With that being said. He does get lost sometimes on assignments and over play's his man on D.

Overall, He is improving his game as the season progresses. You can't ask for more than that. He's 19.

Putting it all together and showing some consistency is part of the maturation process. I expect Fox t

The truth is that most of the population is poor at judging point guards in basketball and quarterbacks in football.

He's been good. His only down stretch was his move to the starting line-up where he deferred to the vets... who couldn't match his speed. The league can't match his speed, but his teamamtes need to run when he pushes. The defense collapses hard and he'd have kick-outs for threes when guys run with him.

This is/was my view of him:

-Better passer than I expected. He looks to setup most of the time
-Faster than NBA guys. His speed advantage did not fall off in making the transition.
-Mature, doesn't get frustrated.

-Needs to learn how to set up his defender a bit better. Can't rely purely on speed. Needs a tiny bit of shiftiness.
-Needs some more finishing moves and to improve his % on his floater.
-Mostly a study film thing.

-3pt shooting is improving faster than expected. First month was in the 20s, second month he shot 30% range, and this month he's at 40% range.
-

Goal: Add strength and film sessions.

Most importantly: Setup your offense around his abilities. We wasted a month or two playing an offense built around vets halfway out the door. I will never understand that or the fools that couldn't understand the problem ir presented. Fox doesn't progress being a fourth option in a half court grind. That's not how you develop him.
Okay my comments were probably what VF was referring to. To me his speed is world class and probably better than I expected. His shooting is improving and I think will continue to get better.

My issue is his passing or rather his tendency to not pass and force the shot. I had hoped he would be more point guard centric and had more focus on using his speed to break down the defense and kick the ball back out. I think his teammates are running with him but Fox is more focused on scoring then getting teammates involved. I expected him to be more of a true point guard.

When you’re the starting point guard, you played 33 minutes and you only have 3 assists that’s a problem. When of the top point guards in your rookie class Simmons, Ball, Ntilikina, Smith all average more assists per 36 min than you that’s a problem. When you are a starting point and you’re 59th in per 36 assists that’s a problem. When your team is 2nd in 3 point percentage and 28th in attempts that’s a problem.

Fox looking for his own shot as much as he does did not meet my expectations.

I knew Fox would struggle in his first year. Lack of strength and shooting, BUT I expected the FO to give him a lot of free reign to do whatever he wants. Assumed we would get an aggressive Fox putting up something like 16pts 4rebs 5asts around 42/29/75. I never saw him as a certified superstar, unlike a lot of Kings fans. I also didn't buy that headscratching John Wall comparison people kept throwing around(don't want to get into it, but it makes absolutely 0 sense to me).

Well, I was right, but I was also wrong. FO didn't really give him free reign and has played him in an unfavorable lineup with ZBO and Co. He started off the first 5 games extremely well...but dropped off immediately after. As soon as he was moved to the starting lineup, his entire demeanor changed. He was playing extremely timid. Hit an early rookie wall where he didn't want to take any shots. Had wide open lanes to the basket, but opted for passes instead. To add insult to injury, he's been bad on defense. It gets overlooked because we have a roster full of poor defenders. For that 20ish game stretch, not only did he show his flaws, but he was also playing with 0 confidence. He got injured..and out of nowhere came back to the same Fox we saw at the beginning of the year.

Has he met my expectations? Yes and no. His rookie year has been full of inconsistencies include that horrible stretch. However, he's been playing better as of late. If he continues that type of play, then he would definitely meet my expectations and maybe even excel it.

Positives
1. I love that he's being more aggressive and taking it to the rack. Getting to the Ft line more often
2. He was fearless tonite taking the 3. I would like him to take at least 5-6 a game from here on out. Of course, going 6 for 6 probably wont be the norm. But, if he can he 2-3 with regularity that would be ideal.
3. His defense has certainly escalated over the last few games.

Still Needs Work:

1. He may be a willing passer, but his court vision is not very good. Some body said the opposite on an earlier post. He had a great game tonite. But, 3 assists is not at all decent for a PG.

2. Fox has improved on D. With that being said. He does get lost sometimes on assignments and over play's his man on D.

Overall, He is improving his game as the season progresses. You can't ask for more than that. He's 19.

Putting it all together and showing some consistency is part of the maturation process. I expect Fox t
Sometimes you have to look at more than just the assists. Fox set up his teammates for at least 6 or 7 open shots I can think of that they didn't convert (Z-Bo being the biggest culprit). He should have easily had 6+ assists tonight.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Haha, yeah it was a surprisingly low amount. That was his 42nd game played, so he’s not even putting up 2 3s a game. As he gets more comfortable and plays more minutes I imagine he will settle in the 3-4 attempts a game range depending on what the defense gives him.
I think that's been one of the more frequent comments. He has deferred away from taking the open three way too many times in the past IMHO. You can see him feeling more comfortable and more confident in taking that shot now, instead of passing it away.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
When you’re the starting point guard, you played 33 minutes and you only have 3 assists that’s a problem. When of the top point guards in your rookie class Simmons, Ball, Ntilikina, Smith all average more assists per 36 min than you that’s a problem. When you are a starting point and you’re 59th in per 36 assists that’s a problem. When your team is 2nd in 3 point percentage and 28th in attempts that’s a problem.

It's tough to get assists when your teammate doesn't hit the shot.

Okay my comments were probably what VF was referring to. To me his speed is world class and probably better than I expected. His shooting is improving and I think will continue to get better.

My issue is his passing or rather his tendency to not pass and force the shot. I had hoped he would be more point guard centric and had more focus on using his speed to break down the defense and kick the ball back out. I think his teammates are running with him but Fox is more focused on scoring then getting teammates involved. I expected him to be more of a true point guard.

This is an odd problem for Fox. Sometimes he gets tunnel vision and won't pass. Other times he'll have a wide open shot, and he'll pass. I think it all comes with building his confidence and continually learning the game.

In regards to his PG skills, I think a lot of Kings fans were misled when people heard the John Wall comparisons. Wall is the 2nd best playmaker in the NBA. He's a pass-first PG who can easily get 10asts a night. Fox is more of a score-first PG. He has a scorers mentality. However, one of his problems has been operating a half-court offense. He doesn't do that good of a job setting up teammates. But he has never been "good" at creating for his teammates. If I had to compare his playmaking to a recent King, I would say it's on par to Darren Collison. Anyone expecting Rondo or Wall playmaking will be extremely disappointed. He's just not that type of a PG.

Absolutely unreal value at the 5 pick. If we get a top 1-2 this year we are in amazing shape. A this point.... HOLD Hill and include him in a trade to move up or for a pick. Worst case he gets us a let first rounder surely.

This is an odd problem for Fox. Sometimes he gets tunnel vision and won't pass. Other times he'll have a wide open shot, and he'll pass. I think it all comes with building his confidence and continually learning the game.

In regards to his PG skills, I think a lot of Kings fans were misled when people heard the John Wall comparisons. Wall is the 2nd best playmaker in the NBA. He's a pass-first PG who can easily get 10asts a night. Fox is more of a score-first PG. He has a scorers mentality. However, one of his problems has been operating a half-court offense. He doesn't do that good of a job setting up teammates. But he has never been "good" at creating for his teammates. If I had to compare his playmaking to a recent King, I would say it's on par to Darren Collison. Anyone expecting Rondo or Wall playmaking will be extremely disappointed. He's just not that type of a PG.
Doesn't help that for a big chunk of the season we were playing through ZBo, and he has to have one of the lowest assisted %s.

If Fox performs like he has over the last two games it will make life easier for himself. Now that is a obvious statement that may be difficult to have on a team like we have.

In many games earlier in the season he would come down and just stop when he only had one guy between him and the basket or come down and pass to someone like zbo and our team would then stop moving. He has the speed to get his own shot and more of them I would like to see in the pick and roll.

He needs someone we do not have right now, if we get someone like Bagley or if Giles works out we may see a great future for him. We need a big who can shoot the ball and not just around the basket.

I see a bright future for Fox and he has done just fine with his youth and experience.

Having watched him at UK for his one season there, I thought he had a lot of potential. The most impressive things being, obviously his speed, but also his intelligence, attitude, and personality.

He didn't shoot well from the outside or even from the foul line as well as you would like for a point guard, but there was nothing about his shot that looked broken or in need of a major over haul. I felt like with a lot of work, lots and lots of repetitions, his shot would improve. Really felt like you would not see a lot of improvement there until he had a full off season to just work and work on that shot.

I was a little disappointed at first in his ability to manage a game early in the season, but he has started to show a lot of improvement there since sitting out a few games with an injury. I think he is trending on an upward path, but expect some bumps in the road.

He is a one-and-done rookie and there are a lot of adjustments to be made to play in the NBA. As he makes adjustments, opponents will make adjustments. NBA teams do an excellent job of scouting. It seems like a lot of people don't realize that. When a young player starts to get it and takes a step forward in his game, other teams take note and adjust to it. That is one reason for inconsistent play, it's a constant battle of adjustments. I cannot believe the number of fans that want to give up on a player as soon as he goes through a bad stretch.

If he can develop a consistent outside shot in the next couple of years, then he will be an all-star type player.

Sometimes you have to look at more than just the assists. Fox set up his teammates for at least 6 or 7 open shots I can think of that they didn't convert (Z-Bo being the biggest culprit). He should have easily had 6+ assists tonight.
Sure in one game this fact would be true that is why I provided multiple data points to support my opinion.