D'Angelo Russell for the #10?

In a heartbeat... I'd double down with lefty guards even if they took Fox at #5..

He'd be a big piece to the puzzle for sure, and playing for the Kings would be such a great spot for him to exact his revenge upon the Lakers. Sadly, I'm not buying it.

I dunno, I'd probably do it but it's not a no brainer for me. Will Donovan Mitchell end up being a better player? We'd have him for four years vs Russell for maybe only two.

In a heartbeat... I'd double down with lefty guards even if they took Fox at #5..

He'd be a big piece to the puzzle for sure, and playing for the Kings would be such a great spot for him to exact his revenge upon the Lakers. Sadly, I'm not buying it.
Ok. I know LA is trying to create cap space to sign some free agents, so what if we take Luol Deng's salary dump for the Lakers #28 for afflalo' expiring. That massive of a salary dump will usually demand a mid teen or low 20's pick, but we take a end of first rounder for it.

So, our #10 and Afflalo's expiring for D'angelo and Luol Deng and #28 pick.

Last edited:
Ok. I know LA is trying to create cap space to sign some free agents, so what if we take Luol Deng's salary dump for the Lakers #29 for afflalo' expiring. That massive of a salary dump will usually demand a mid teen or low 20's pick, but we take a end of first rounder for it.

So, our #10 and Afflalo's expiring for D'angelo and Luol Deng and #29 pick.
Thats a big bullet to bite... Deng is on the hook for 18MM over the next 3 seasons. Also Russell is gonna need a big extension in just 2 summers, so all of a sudden you've signed up for a huge chunk of salary for that 19-20 season.. I'd probably demand a future 1st rd pick too.

I used to be really really high on Russell in 2015. Now? Not so much. I don't know though. That's such a tempting offer... I'm not sure how good a Russell-Hield backcourt would fair defensively either..

I used to be really really high on Russell in 2015. Now? Not so much. I don't know though. That's such a tempting offer... I'm not sure how good a Russell-Hield backcourt would fair defensively either..
Lacking in athleticism and ability to get to the rack. Would be one of the better shooting tandems in the league though.

Thats a big bullet to bite... Deng is on the hook for 18MM over the next 3 seasons. Also Russell is gonna need a big extension in just 2 summers, so all of a sudden you've signed up for a huge chunk of salary for that 19-20 season.. I'd probably demand a future 1st rd pick too.
Well, deng's contract expires when the kids rookie contracts has a qualifying offer, so his salary comes off the books when we need it to. Deng can serve as the stop gap small forward and provide veteran leadership.

We probably need to send Langston galloways contract to LA to match salary, so that opens up $5 million for us and opens a roster spot for us.

So, it would be #10, afflalo (expiring) and Langston Galloway (salary dump/salary match) for D'angello Russell, #28 pick and Deng's (salary dump).

Last edited:
Well, deng's contract expires when the kids rookie contracts has a qualifying offer, so his salary comes off the books when we need it to. Deng can serve as the stop gap small forward and provide veteran leadership.

We probably need to send Langston galloways contract to LA to match salary, so that opens up $5 million for us and opens a roster spot for us.

So, it would be #10, afflalo (expiring) and Langston Galloway (salary dump/salary match) for D'angello Russell, #29 pick and Deng's (salary dump).
I am very high on D'Angelo Russell so ultimately I'd do it. I'd much prefer a straight up pick for Russell exchange though just because I want to believe they can possibly go out and spend that $$$ wisely in free agency.

That would be a no-brainer, especially if we drafted a SF at #5. He's only 21 and the PG position takes a while to learn in the NBA. He's got good size for the position and he can score the basketball.

Not interested in Russell. They're trying to sell high because his value is going to tank this year after they draft Ball and everyone sees how redundant he is. I would listen regarding Ingram though.

f---k yea i would. At 10, it would come down to that french guy and Russell, and that french guy may be gone before 10. Of course, i want to see what the kings would do at 5 with fox, but if they go with TAtum, this would be a no brainer

edit: In addition, if the kings can take both Leonard's and Harkless' contract and get the 15th pick and 2019 1st round draft pick, that would be a HUGE day for Sacramento. All of a sudden, you have players like

Koufas
Temple
Leonard
Harkless

to go with the young kids
Clauey-Stein
Richardson
Hield
Tatum
Russell
labissiere
papagiannis
15th pick
34th pick
and possibly that european guy

and the kings would still have room to pick up another veteran who's on a bad contract in exchange for a draft pick. My biggest question is how can russell and hield co exist on defense?

Last edited:
My Laker fan friend hates D'Angelo. He has a messed up rep there including the Nik Young Izzy Azelea scandle. My guess is a lot of Laker fans would be happy if he goes which means he should start over somewhere else.
I would take a gamble on this, Isaac at 5 if Fox is off the board, and D'Angelo along with a vet PG sounds pretty good to me.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Ok. I know LA is trying to create cap space to sign some free agents, so what if we take Luol Deng's salary dump for the Lakers #28 for afflalo' expiring. That massive of a salary dump will usually demand a mid teen or low 20's pick, but we take a end of first rounder for it.
That's a $54M dead contract for the #28 pick. $54M!!!! That is absolutely insane. We can't even remotely begin to think about a deal like that.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I think he could be a good bench weapon.

Could we do better than that with the 10th pick?

It does make me happy to see the value of a (once) hyped Laker prospect dip so low.

It would be terrible defensively.

Not nearly enough ball movement for my liking either.

Add in that it's a trade with the Lakers and I hate it all around. And I'm not all that high on who will likely be left at 10.

That's a $54M dead contract for the #28 pick. $54M!!!! That is absolutely insane. We can't even remotely begin to think about a deal like that.
Technically, it would be about $35 mil for 3rd and 4 years that would be hard to swallow.

This year he would cost us about $10 mil because we needed a veteran small forward after Rudy opted out and we are dumping Galloway's contract and afflalo's buyout.

Maybe the Lakers would take our #34 instead of demanding a salary dump? But the #10 may not be enough by itself for LA to trade the former #2 pick.

If the kings makes this trade before the draft began,the Kings may take Issac at #5 for his defensive potential to counter balance the back court lack of defense.

WCS and Issac would make a good defensive front court.

D'Angelo and Buddy would make a dynamic offensive back court.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
not a fan of Russell at all...he plays way too laid back, doesn't commit to defense and is a major disappointment so far for a number 2 pick, there is a reason he is available.

If the kings makes this trade before the draft began,the Kings may take Issac at #5 for his defensive potential to counter balance the back court lack of defense.

WCS and Issac would make a good defensive front court.

D'Angelo and Buddy would make a dynamic offensive back court.
No. No they wouldn't. He's the worst fit imaginable to play next to him. His first step and overall athleticism is average at best and he doesn't finish strong in the paint. Tie that into his very inconsistent 3pt shooting and flat out unmotivated defense the very notion makes me feel ill.

A lot of Russell Downers here. At Pick 10, the likelihood of finding a better player than Russell is very, very, slim.
Especially, considering the Kings draft history.
Russell is still only 21, Has improved year over year, and his numbers 16-5 in 28 min, are far from terrible
Showed on several occasions last year, he can run an offense. Consistency and Defense are a concern.
Possibly a different system and change of environment would elevate his game.

I wouldn't think twice about trading the 10th for Russell.

Not interested in Russell. They're trying to sell high because his value is going to tank this year after they draft Ball and everyone sees how redundant he is. I would listen regarding Ingram though.
No. Not because he's not naturally talented but because he lacks work ethic. He's all about the NBA lifestyle not the basketball. Basically the polar opposite of Buddy.
He's a tweener without motor. Not a fan, and the draft is good at that range. He's not a PG and we have enough SG

Not nearly enough ball movement for my liking either.

Add in that it's a trade with the Lakers and I hate it all around. And I'm not all that high on who will likely be left at 10.
I'm in full agreement with ALL of you. Not only do I not like Russell's game or lack of defense, I don't want to help the Lakers in any way shape of form unless it's an over-the-top win for the Kings -- which this deal is not.