Cousins isn't a winner?

I have a question.....so all the pro-DMC people kept saying it wasn't his fault because he never had any players around him. Well, this year he has the number 1 assists guy in Rondo, along with Gay, a promising defensive rookie, and some nice pieces in Belli and KK. So how come he's on pace to win 33 games this year (wow, a personal best for him!)? Is it really all Karl's fault?

At what point do we just make the assumption that this guy ins't a winner? That he doesn't make others around him better? That he's too emotionally immature to ever be a true superstar? Right now, he has the stats but nothing else.

I have a question.....so all the pro-DMC people kept saying it wasn't his fault because he never had any players around him. Well, this year he has the number 1 assists guy in Rondo, along with Gay, a promising defensive rookie, and some nice pieces in Belli and KK. So how come he's on pace to win 33 games this year (wow, a personal best for him!)? Is it really all Karl's fault?

At what point do we just make the assumption that this guy ins't a winner? That he doesn't make others around him better? That he's too emotionally immature to ever be a true superstar? Right now, he has the stats but nothing else.
I would like to see him with coach that plans around his strengths.. then after that we could make those decisions.

You must have forgot the awesome start we had till boogie got sick then Malone got canned? If Malone was there that whole season then we could have made those decisions.
I'm judging the entire body of work, not just a 15 game stretch. He also just did have a 5 game winning streak until that blew up. Everybody around here thought that was the turning point where he finally "got it" and we were gonna cruise to the playoffs.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

SIGH.

SIGH!!!!

I have repeatedly here, as in just the last few days put the on/off numbers up for DeMarcus Cousins. I mean, just two threads over. Jesus. I'll go copy/paste them here again, but people, come on. Unless you just don't know what it all means, we win DeMarcus Cousins' minutes on the floor. We die disastrously without him. Same as last year. Same as the year before. In fact there are only 5 players in the whole NBA, each of whom is, with any health, going to be Top 50, and probably top 30 of all time, who are having a bigger +/- impact on their team. Who the numbers even argue they might do better.

The very first time, the VERY first, that we put a team/coach around DeMarcus Cousins that can do what other stars' teams do, and play .500 ball without him...well 1) of course idiots all over Sacramento will then take that as a sign we should trade him; but 2) we will IMMEDIATELY start winning a whole crapload of games.

Now the good news is I think part of this team's dysfunction was a coach not getting the most out of them. With the right hire they'll do better here. but on the year they are still more dependent on Cousins to do everything and singlehandedly win every game for them than any other crew in the NBA.

So one more time, the numbers. Absorb them, and then maybe you can share with somebody else the next time so I don't have to break off Pretty girls research to do this again and again:

So just comparing Cuz to other franchise players or clear #1s/straws, guys who every night are the main guy for their teams (or in the case of the Clippers and Thunder, one of two):

Name Total on/off (On/Off)
Curry +28.9 (+22.1/-6.8)
Lebron +17.1 (+10.7/-6.4)
Westbrook +16.6 (+12.5/-4.1)
Paul +16.1 (+10.4/-5.7)
Durant +13.1 (+12.4/-0.7)

Cousins +10.7 (+2.4/-8.3)

Anthony +8.6 (+1.3/-7.3)
Drumond +7.6 (+3.5/-4.1)
George +5.7 (+4.1/-1.6)
Wall +4.9 (-1.3/-6.2)

Leonard +2.5 (+15.4/+12.9)
Lillard +2.2 (+0.5/-1.7)
Harden +2.2 (-0.7/-2.9)
Davis +1.7 (-2.4/-4.1)
Griffin +1.1 (+4.6/+3.5)
Butler -0.4 (-0.3/+0.1)

I don't really think these guys should be directly compared because they are less clearly "the straw" on teams that are collective.s Lowry comes closest, but he's not even the leading scorer:

MGasol +4.4 (+0.4/-4.0)
Nowitzki +7.9 (+2.6/-5.3)
Milsap -2.4 (+1.8/+4.2)
Thomas +2.5 (+5.0/+2.5)
Lowry +7.6 (+6.6/-1/0)

So the 16 true #1 guys, +5 more of the "best of a collective" types. And Cousins stands out there as the last/biggest impact guy before you hit the in prime first ballot HOF quintet. His profile looks most like a suped up version of Melo's this year, as the one guy who can and has to carry an indifferent crew. You will notice too that out of all 21 guys I listed there, Cousins supporting cast is THE worst without him. 21st out of 21. He has to carry an enormous burden just to make us competitive.

SIGH.

SIGH!!!!

I have repeatedly here, as in just the last few days put the on/off numbers up for DeMarcus Cousins. I mean, just two threads over. Jesus. I'll go copy/paste them here again, but people, come on. Unless you just don't know what it all means, we win DeMarcus Cousins' minutes on the floor. We die disastrously without him. Same as last year. Same as the year before. In fact there are only 5 players in the whole NBA, each of whom is, with any health, going to be Top 50, and probably top 30 of all time, who are having a bigger +/- impact on their team. Who the numbers even argue they might do better.

The very first time, the VERY first, that we put a team/coach around DeMarcus Cousins that can do what other stars' teams do, and play .500 ball without him...well 1) of course idiots all over Sacramento will then take that as a sign we should trade him; but 2) we will IMMEDIATELY start winning a whole poopooload of games.

Now the good news is I think part of this team's dysfunction was a coach not getting the most out of them. With the right hire they'll do better here. but on the year they are still more dependent on Cousins to do everything and singlehandedly win every game for them than any other crew in the NBA.

So one more time, the numbers. Absorb them, and then maybe you can share with somebody else the next time so I don't have to break off Pretty girls research to do this again and again:

So just comparing Cuz to other franchise players or clear #1s/straws, guys who every night are the main guy for their teams (or in the case of the Clippers and Thunder, one of two):

Curry +28.9 (+22.1/-6.8)
Paul +16.1 (+10.4/-5.7)

Anthony +8.6 (+1.3/-7.3)
Drumond +7.6 (+3.5/-4.1)
George +5.7 (+4.1/-1.6)
Wall +4.9 (-1.3/-6.2)

Lillard +2.2 (+0.5/-1.7)
Harden +2.2 (-0.7/-2.9)
Davis +1.7 (-2.4/-4.1)
Griffin +1.1 (+4.6/+3.5)
Butler -0.4 (-0.3/+0.1)

I don't really think these guys should be directly compared because they are less clearly "the straw" on teams that are collective.s Lowry comes closest, but he's not even the leading scorer:

MGasol +4.4 (+0.4/-4.0)
Milsap -2.4 (+1.8/+4.2)
Thomas +2.5 (+5.0/+2.5)
Lowry +7.6 (+6.6/-1/0)

So the 16 true #1 guys, +5 more of the "best of a collective" types. And Cousins stands out there as the last/biggest impact guy before you hit the in prime first ballot HOF quintet. His profile looks most like a suped up version of Melo's this year, as the one guy who can and has to carry an indifferent crew. You will notice too that out of all 21 guys I listed there, Cousins supporting cast is THE worst without him. 21st out of 21. He has to carry an enormous burden just to make us competitive.

Now we're gonna hire another coach. If we still don't win, will you be willing to trade Cousins then? Or will it still be wrong coach, wrong roster etc? At what point do you conclude that either that this organization can't build around Cousins or that you can't build around Cousins anyway and trade him? I just want to get this clear so that if we continue losing next season I know how objective people are going to be.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Now we're gonna hire another coach. If we still don't win, will you be willing to trade Cousins then? Or will it still be wrong coach, wrong roster etc? At what point do you conclude that either that this organization can't build around Cousins or that you can't build around Cousins anyway and trade him? I just want to get this clear so that if we continue losing next season I know how objective people are going to be.
I'm just curious how much more patience the front office will have with keeping DeMarcus around and continuing to try to put a winner around him. The clock is winding down mightily fast.

I

Im Still Ballin

They need to clean the house. Cousins is insanely talented, but it'll never work in Sacramento for him. He needs to go somewhere that'll peg him down the totem poll a bit. We just let him dictate a franchise over a HOF coach that has made the playoffs 23/27 times, despite multiple teams, multiple players, stars or no stars. We should have given him the keys to the car. He has the success, he has the reputation, he has the resume. Cousins has nothing comparable to that.

Stats definitely do lie. Cousins is an amazing player, but he fails to command his troops as a leader. George grants freedom to the player. His teams have been so successful for it. But it needs the right captain, the right culture. I don't think Cousins is mentally that type of guy.

how about let's see if the gm hires a coach that isn't down with small ball pace at breakneck speeds, cmon now you don't run a faceup/back to the basket big like dmc to the ground. Do you see Duncan do that? No. Aldridge? No

SIGH.

SIGH!!!!

The very first time, the VERY first, that we put a team/coach around DeMarcus Cousins that can do what other stars' teams do, and play .500 ball without him...well 1) of course idiots all over Sacramento will then take that as a sign we should trade him; but 2) we will IMMEDIATELY start winning a whole poopooload of games.

Name Total on/off (On/Off)
Curry +28.9 (+22.1/-6.8)
Paul +16.1 (+10.4/-5.7)

Anthony +8.6 (+1.3/-7.3)
Drumond +7.6 (+3.5/-4.1)
George +5.7 (+4.1/-1.6)
Wall +4.9 (-1.3/-6.2)

Lillard +2.2 (+0.5/-1.7)
Harden +2.2 (-0.7/-2.9)
Davis +1.7 (-2.4/-4.1)
Griffin +1.1 (+4.6/+3.5)
Butler -0.4 (-0.3/+0.1)

MGasol +4.4 (+0.4/-4.0)
Milsap -2.4 (+1.8/+4.2)
Thomas +2.5 (+5.0/+2.5)
Lowry +7.6 (+6.6/-1/0)

These are the apple to apples numbers I was looking for. Good job and thank you. Also, Curry's team at -6.8 is a surprising.

how about let's see if the gm hires a coach that isn't down with small ball pace at breakneck speeds, cmon now you don't run a faceup/back to the basket big like dmc to the ground. Do you see Duncan do that? No. Aldridge? No
Like I said - how long till you conclude that either the organization is unable to build around Cousins or that you just can't build around Cousins either way, and move on? I'm neither putting the blame solely on Cousins or on the FO because I think that's subjective. There's no way to know that Cousins would do better if you "built around him properly" since you didn't build around him properly, and there's no way to know that other organizations would be able to build around him unless he goes to another team. For the record, it's easier to build around any player in say New York or LA, because players and coaches would want to go there so it's easier to find the right pieces. Not necessarily so in SAC.

So again, regardless if next coach is small ball pace or defensive grind it out - if we don't win would you trade Cousins? Or are you going to fire the coach again? Or both?

Last edited:
Like I said - how long till you conclude that either the organization is unable to build around Cousins or that you just can't build around Cousins either way, and move on? I'm neither putting the blame solely on Cousins or on the FO because I think that's subjective. There's no way to know that Cousins would do better if you "built around him properly" since you didn't build around him properly, and there's no way to know that other organizations would be able to build around him unless he goes to another team. For the record, it's easier to build around any player in say New York or LA, because players and coaches would want to go there so it's easier to find the right pieces. Not necessarily so in SAC.

So again, regardless if next coach is small ball pace or defensive grind it out - if we don't win would you trade Cousins? Or are you going to fire the coach again?
trade him when he checks out - he hasnt - there is no inkling that he has - i dont know how he hasnt given the ineptness of this organisation but he hasnt and therefore you dont consider trading him.

Even now with everything going on Demarcus Boogie Cousins is out there getting his points and pushing on

trade him when he checks out - he hasnt - there is no inkling that he has - i dont know how he hasnt given the ineptness of this organisation but he hasnt and therefore you dont consider trading him.

Even now with everything going on Demarcus Boogie Cousins is out there getting his points and pushing on
Well checking out and getting his points are two different issues if you ask me. For example in the Cavs game I thought he was throwing up a lot of terrible shots. Step back jumpers off the dribble - seriously? Or his defense in the Boston game. Those to me are examples of checking out. When you take 25 shots you're still going to get your points.

But nonetheless, thank you for the sincere response. It helps shed some light on how much you think we need to hold on to Cousins. Hope to see others do the same.

So again, regardless if next coach is small ball pace or defensive grind it out - if we don't win would you trade Cousins? Or are you going to fire the coach again?
So let me guess this straight you're gonna ask me if we hire another junk ball coach and keep losing, you'd consider trading cousins even though he's not built for junk ball?

And I highly doubt we will lose as we have been if we get a slower paced defensive oriented offense,
There's reasons why a good amount of gms will trade half their talent for our guy. Regardless, we can go back and forth all night but Next year will be the year to see if we are capable of building around him

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
They need to clean the house. Cousins is insanely talented, but it'll never work in Sacramento for him. He needs to go somewhere that'll peg him down the totem poll a bit. We just let him dictate a franchise over a HOF coach that has made the playoffs 23/27 times, despite multiple teams, multiple players, stars or no stars. We should have given him the keys to the car. He has the success, he has the reputation, he has the resume. Cousins has nothing comparable to that.

Stats definitely do lie. Cousins is an amazing player, but he fails to command his troops as a leader. George grants freedom to the player. His teams have been so successful for it. But it needs the right captain, the right culture. I don't think Cousins is mentally that type of guy.
Cousins is no leader, never was. He made an attempt at it but he shouldn't be both the leader and the franchise. Too much for one guy to carry that type of burden. The coach or teammates need to help but that hasn't worked in the slightest.

Bricklayer

Tell me who the coach is.

And that's a ridiculous question anyway.

LOOK AT THE NUMBERS.

Not the numbers with Cousins on the floor, since so many people are just lost in their biases when it comes to Cousins. Look at that 2nd number, the number with Cousins OFF the floor. That's not on Cousins. he can't possibly be blamed for his team's play when he's not on the court, although I imagine some fool will gleefully make the effort. I'm just not dishonest enough to be unfair like that. So I say, LOOK at that 2nd number. The number withOUT Cousins. That is who the Kings are sans DeMarcus Cousins. It is the very worst number of ANY of the 21 stars teams' listed there. He's being asked to do something that no other star in the NBA is being asked to do. Then when he fails, or only succeeds in ways people can't spot easily, its his fault? I dare you to bring in Paul George or James Harden and have them make this group win. That's not the way it works.

Quit fighting Cousins's greatness. not only you, I mean, the franchise. You get a great bigman, you get a big man coach and great big man teammates. And while I dislike the breed, the opposite is true. If we had prime Steve Nash, go find me a Mike D'Antoni clone. Don't hire Jeff Van Gundy to coach my Steve Nash, and then blame Nash when he looks bad. There is synergy to every great player winning, and its something we have barely tried because of stupidity and ridiculous ideology in our front office. Its time for that to end. Get Cuz a coach who will use him correctly. See how the rest of the roster responds. Then we can talk about "failure".

Calling this Cuz's "failure" is like me giving you a '77 Pinto and entering you in the Indy 500, then blaming you when you come in last and saying you can't drive. We haven't done our part as a franchise. The very first time we do and there is still failure, THEN we can start pointing fingers elsewhere. Right now they should all be pointed in a series of air conditioned offices.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
So let me guess this straight you're gonna ask me if we hire another junk ball coach and keep losing, you'd consider trading cousins even though he's not built for junk ball?

And I highly doubt we will lose as we have been if we get a slower paced defensive oriented offense,
There's reasons why a good amount of gms will trade half their talent for our guy. Regardless, we can go back and forth all night but Next year will be the year to see if we are capable of building around him
Half of the league will be capable of putting a winner around him, unlike this franchise so it's best for both parties to do the inevitable within the next year if things don't work out.

There's reasons why a good amount of gms will trade half their talent for our guy
You're not answering the question. You can "highly doubt" all you want - I'm just asking hypothetically, if despite your doubts we do lose - would you then trade Cousins? Or would you still say it's the coach or roster's fault?

To answer your question - yes. If we hire another junk ball coach and keep losing, would you trade Cousins even though he's not built for junk ball? Would you trade him and try to play junk ball, or fire the coach and again hire someone else, or trade him and hire someone else, etc? Even if Cousins is not the problem, and it's the ownership or FO who insists on bringing in junk ball coach after junk ball coach, you'd still insist on keeping Cousins?

LOOK AT THE NUMBERS.

Not the numbers with Cousins on the floor, since so many people are just lost in their biases when it comes to Cousins. Look at that 2nd number, the number with Cousins OFF the floor. That's not on Cousins. he can't possibly be blamed for his team's play when he's not on the court, although I imagine some fool will gleefully make the effort. I'm just not dishonest enough to be unfair like that. So I say, LOOK at that 2nd number. The number withOUT Cousins. That is who the Kings are sans DeMarcus Cousins. It is the very worst number of ANY of the 21 stars teams' listed there. He's being asked to do something that no other star in the NBA is being asked to do. Then when he fails, or only succeeds in ways people can't spot easily, its his fault? I dare you to bring in Paul George or James Harden and have them make this group win. That's not the way it works.

Quit fighting Cousins's greatness. not only you, I mean, the franchise. You get a great bigman, you get a big man coach and great big man teammates. And while I dislike the breed, the opposite is true. If we had prime Steve Nash, go find me a Mike D'Antoni clone. Don't hire Jeff Van Gundy to coach my Steve Nash, and then blame Nash when he looks bad. There is synergy to every great player winning, and its something we have barely tried because of stupidity and ridiculous ideology in our front office. Its time for that to end. Get Cuz a coach who will use him correctly. See how the rest of the roster responds. Then we can talk about "failure".

Calling this Cuz's "failure" is like me giving you a '77 Pinto and entering you in the Indy 500, then blaming you when you come in last and saying you can't drive. We haven't done our part as a franchise. The very first time we do and there is still failure, THEN we can start pointing fingers elsewhere. Right now they should all be pointed in a series of air conditioned offices.
"Hands clapping" emoji

LOOK AT THE NUMBERS.

Again, I'm not blaming the coach or Cousins or anybody. Nowhere did I even say Cousins was a failure so I don't know where you got that from. The alternative to it being Cousins' fault is that its' the organization's fault, fair enough. As you said, quit fighting Cousins' greatness right? So if the franchise continues fighting this supposed greatness, keeps insisting on offense-first small ball or whatever your choice dislike of the day is, do you as a Sacramento Kings fan say FINE TRADE COUSINS, SMALL BALL IT IS, JUST WIN (which is a realistic scenario - you can win playing small ball pace etc with the right roster), or do you as a Kings fan continue to beg the FO to hire the right coach and assemble the right roster? Keep in mind the base assumption that we're not winning, we're not making the playoffs by what would be the 10th or 11th season straight or something, 7ish of them with Cousins as the centerpiece.

Hey if all works out and we're winning, then all will be well and you won't hear any complaints from me. Or maybe if it doesn't it will be Cousins who wants out first and we won't have to discuss whether we should trade him.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I'm just curious how much more patience the front office will have with keeping DeMarcus around and continuing to try to put a winner around him. The clock is winding down mightily fast.
The question that scares me is wondering how much more patience will the best big man in the game have with a franchise that has failed him over and over as he enters his prime.

Bricklayer

These are the apple to apples numbers I was looking for. Good job and thank you. Also, Curry's team at -6.8 is a surprising.
It is, but I think their bench has been less good than people think it has this year.

Overall though, what Curry is doing is so ridiculous I don't even have a framework to fit it in. I thought about just leaving him off. There are mortal numbers people can aspire to, and then there is just Curry, and well, tip your hat.

Well checking out and getting his points are two different issues if you ask me. For example in the Cavs game I thought he was throwing up a lot of terrible shots. Step back jumpers off the dribble - seriously? Or his defense in the Boston game. Those to me are examples of checking out. When you take 25 shots you're still going to get your points.

But nonetheless, thank you for the sincere response. It helps shed some light on how much you think we need to hold on to Cousins. Hope to see others do the same.
he's a one of a kind talent. You hold onto him until the wheels fall off. He has his faults and im not saying we build a culture of enabling him to do whatever he likes but he has had to deal with a lot of dysfunction and inadequate management in his time here.

by checking out i mean, negatively impacting the team and locker room - and i dont mean brooding at refs calls and getting thrown out of games, im talking clearly not wanting to be in Sac anymore.

all that matters to demarcus is winning. We've got a decent team but its about time we actually did this properly. Karl was never going to work out, it was a flawed hire from the beginning and i wanted him out over the summer. It was a tough call but everything that we papered over has come back to haunt us and we have lost another 6 months. It is what it is. Hopefully we can move on from this quickly. Our franchise's narrative is ridiculous but hey we all knew it would come to this point with Karl.

The question that scares me is wondering how much more patience will the best big man in the game have with a franchise that has failed him over and over as he enters his prime.
that is the question. Demarcus has been here what - how many times now have we replaced a coach with him here.

i mean one day he's going to wake up and be like sac took the best years of my life - and really who are we to blame him ?

you cant win without consistency - look at the pee poor list of demarcus's ex teammates - its dismal.

Now look at the list of ex coaches - theres one in there that worked and had a bright future. Look at the turnover. No successful organisation moves forward with the rate of turnover that we have at the top and replacing a coach is the equivalent of ridding your managing partner.

We havent had any consistency since Demarcus landed here. That is the real travesty.

It is, but I think their bench has been less good than people think it has this year.

Overall though, what Curry is doing is so ridiculous I don't even have a framework to fit it in. I thought about just leaving him off. There are mortal numbers people can aspire to, and then there is just Curry, and well, tip your hat.
It really is absurd. I keep waiting for him to go through a slump of some sort. It doesn't look like it is going to happen.