Close game, lead changes and ... a win

The Kings game agains OKC showed great evolution in their toughness and emotional makeup. They have toughened up a lot. I think Shumpert is bringing some attitude that was lacking. Eastern European guys tend to be kind of stoic with quiet toughness. We have a team of nice guys. When they get called for T there will be a reason. For the Kings to defend their home floor against wise guys like Westbrook is beautiful thing to watch. This team makes me emotional. All of those years playing against people with attitude. I am right there with them.

I think there was something in our scouting report that the Thunder are vulnerable in transition or we just recommitted to what got us off to a rousing start this season, because we had a blistering pace going in the first half. Blistering!

This win was particularly satisfying because of our 15 point 3rd quarter. The wilting and dry spell could have persisted as it often has in the past, but we kept running, Buddy kept shooting and Bagley came alive. Shump provided the points we missed from D-Fox's 1-10. The torrent was not going to continue undeterred against what I think was the 2nd ranked defense in the NBA. But the tempo and activity and spacing that we played with assured we got quality looks so we got hot in the final quarter.

I was anticipating a breakout game for MB3 for the last two weeks and we sort of got one. I was expecting 25/15. Not quite but his impact was profound. It is important that we give this kid space to operate. Then he is going to show his Anthony Davis like skills. Give him space and he's going to do great things! Joerger knows this which is why he is making more of an effort to get him on the floor with Bjelica instead of Willie.

I don't know how many minutes Fox and MB3 have been on the floor together but it has not been a ton. This is something else we should be doing. Our fast breaks will go to another level with Bagley and D-Fox playing more.

I cannot shake the feeling ultimately if Bagley is given minutes given to Willie, we will be a better rebounding, defense and scoring team. Everything will be better for us. Willie is probably a better lob target than Bagley because of his length but that's about all he does better. The pending question hovering over this team is whether we want to commit to a RFA to be at the end of the season. I am leaning towards "no" so let's get value for him/

How about we offer Willie and Z-Bo (and throw in Yogi if necessary) to the Wizards straight up for Otto Porter? I know Otto is overpaid but the guy is a player currently wallowing in toxic environment. Can Otto play stretch four for us and solidify our three spot for the next 3 season? Yes! Then Bagley and Giles share the center position and we land the combo forward we need. Make it happen, Vlade Brandon!

Going into that 4th quarter, looked like we were in for a close game, but really a pair of well-timed Buddy bombs and the Bagley explosion to start the fourth gave us some cushion and settled things

I cannot shake the feeling ultimately if Bagley is given minutes given to Willie, we will be a better rebounding, defense and scoring team. Everything will be better for us. Willie is probably a better lob target than Bagley because of his length but that's about all he does better. The pending question hovering over this team is whether we want to commit to a RFA to be at the end of the season. I am leaning towards "no" so let's get value for him/

How about we offer Willie and Z-Bo (and throw in Yogi if necessary) to the Wizards straight up for Otto Porter? I know Otto is overpaid but the guy is a player currently wallowing in toxic environment. Can Otto play stretch four for us and solidify our three spot for the next 3 season? Yes! Then Bagley and Giles share the center position and we land the combo forward we need. Make it happen, Vlade Brandon!
I don't know if we would be better this year, but I have been thinking the same way about Cauley-Stein. He's been much better this year than the previous 3 seasons; however, I see our team being at it's best (in the future) when Bagley is playing C with floor spacers around him.

Giving Cauley-Stein a big deal (even if one he deserves) is going to make it harder to optimize our elite talent (Fox & Bagley). Not to mention if you give Cauley-Stein a big deal this year, you are running the risk that the motivation takes a dive next year. He is after all a contract year player who has only shown it in his contract year.

I would rather move Cauley-Stein for a pick or young asset vs. a guy like Porter. If we continue to keep our payroll nothing but rookie contracts and expiring veteran contracts, we give ourselves multiple offseasons to sign a star.

For examples sake, let's say we trade Cauley-Stein for a 2019 1st. We'd have approximately $56-$59 mil in cap space in the 2019 offseason. Perhaps the performance of the 2018-19 season was enough to lure a star free agent. If not, trade the cap space for expiring players & picks to continue to build our future asset pool.

Now you have Hield in his 4th year, Fox in his 3rd year, Bogdanovic in his 3rd year, Bagley in his 2nd year, and Giles in his 2nd year. You're hoping this core is going to keep progressing and look even more impressive during the 2019-20 season. Not to mention, we'd still have $42 mil in cap space in the 2020 offseason to sign a star ($59-$61 mil if we let Bjelica, Labissiere, & Mason go).

Let's stay flexible with our cap (to allow us the long shot opportunity of signing a star and/or selling cap space for future assets) and not commit to any long term salary unless it's our true core (Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Giles*, Bagley).

Warriors are not a giveaway loss right now, either. Let's win the next three!
The Jazz are being exposed partly because their top scorer is a 6'2" SG. Don't get me wrong, Donovan is a great player, capable of taking over for any stretch, but he's doing what is doing at 6'2" often going into the teeth of the defense. That wears on you, because you don't have a lot of room for error. You have to be precise in your execution. Additionally defenses are geared to him. He simply is not the same player as last year. I have always felt Rubio was overrated too.

TS%
-----
Donovan 50.5
Rubio 51.3
D-Fox 58.1
Buddy 59.2

We need to exploit this superior efficiency in our backcourt to sweep the Jazz. The other issue is Willie vs Gobert, another opponent who owns Willie. Off the top of my head let me think up opponents who chew up Willie and spit him out like a piece of gum:

- Capella
- Towns
- Montrezl Harrell
- Gobert

This is a partial of list of salviating opponents when Willie moseys into town. I was going to add Adams, but Willie has done better against him over the last two games (wins). Still, Willie cannot score on Gobert at all and gives up the lob whenever the Jazz want it. This is hard to overcome! Ingles vs Bjelica is a bad matchup for us. We might want to Buddy on him, with Shump on Mitchell to start. We are playing the Jazz at the right time, but we need a game plan to address these matchup issues. I like our chances coming off this win, and especially if Wille says to himself before the game "How many times are you going to let Gobert punk you, before you say enough is enough!" Show some pride man, channel that aggression you showed against Westbrook., and remember, this year you are not Trill, you are WC$.

The Jazz are being exposed partly because their top scorer is a 6'2" SG. Don't get me wrong, Donovan is a great player, capable of taking over for any stretch, but he's doing what is doing at 6'2" often going into the teeth of the defense. That wears on you, because you don't have a lot of room for error. You have to be precise in your execution. Additionally defenses are geared to him. He simply is not the same player as last year. I have always felt Rubio was overrated too.

TS%
-----
Donovan 50.5
Rubio 51.3
D-Fox 58.1
Buddy 59.2

We need to exploit this superior efficiency in our backcourt to sweep the Jazz. The other issue is Willie vs Gobert, another opponent who owns Willie. Off the top of my head let me think up opponents who chew up Willie and spit him out like a piece of gum:

- Capella
- Towns
- Montrezl Harrell
- Gobert

This is a partial of list of salviating opponents when Willie moseys into town. I was going to add Adams, but Willie has done better against him over the last two games (wins). Still, Willie cannot score on Gobert at all and gives up the lob whenever the Jazz want it. This is hard to overcome! Ingles vs Bjelica is a bad matchup for us. We might want to Buddy on him, with Shump on Mitchell to start. We are playing the Jazz at the right time, but we need a game plan to address these matchup issues. I like our chances coming off this win, and especially if Wille says to himself before the game "How many times are you going to let Gobert punk you, before you say enough is enough!" Show some pride man, channel that aggression you showed against Westbrook., and remember, this year you are not Trill, you are WC$.
Great take... and personally I think I'd like to see what Bagley can do against Gobert. Let's let the kid work, I say. Had a great game against OKC, and the kid has some swag to him. Give him 30 mins vs. Gobert, and I'm sure Bogi and Fox can find a way to get him the ball.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

TS%
-----
Donovan 50.5
Rubio 51.3
D-Fox 58.1
Buddy 59.2

- Capella
- Towns
- Montrezl Harrell
- Gobert

Utah also struggles because they are starting two players who can't shoot in Favors & Gobert and their starting PG is a streaky one so Mitchell has extra burden if he isn't making plays for them to score.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
WCS played well on offense against Gobert the last time, but I'm not sure the Kings should go to that well to often though. I still think rebounding is the key because it begins the fast break, and Gobert was a monster on the boards last time. Play D, get rebounds and run Gobert's legs off. Fox and Buddy against Mitchell, Bogs against Ingles, Bagley against Favors. I feel pretty good about those matchups. I feel fine with WCS against Gobert as long as the tempo gets fast, not if it's a slower tempo.

WCS played well on offense against Gobert the last time, but I'm not sure the Kings should go to that well to often though. I still think rebounding is the key because it begins the fast break, and Gobert was a monster on the boards last time. Play D, get rebounds and run Gobert's legs off. Fox and Buddy against Mitchell, Bogs against Ingles, Bagley against Favors. I feel pretty good about those matchups. I feel fine with WCS against Gobert as long as the tempo gets fast, not if it's a slower tempo.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That was one of the best games I ever saw Willie play. He was in rare form after coasting through the preseason. He played a season high 38 minutes that game. Let's hope he builds on that. There were couple of plays he went right at Gobert and neutralized his shot blocking. I still don't like this matchup for us but hopefully there is lingering confidence from so he can show out respectably.

There was an interesting stat the Jazz starters on offense are only 90.8 points per 100 possessions, which is 8 points worst than the worst team in the NBA! (Chicago 98.8). As you are saying the pace is key to try to get them to score with us. They can't do it. They need a monster game from Mitchell or Ingles (like they had before). Our defense at the rim killed us in the first matchup with Gobert and Favors going a combined 14-17 FGs, 12 points over their combined average. Again, this is where we need WC$ to show some respectable resistance and where he usually lets us down.

When we beat the Spurs we were double teaming Aldridge from the baseline with another defender sliding into the paint. I like this defense and expect we use it tonight. Selectively doubling is a also a way to speed up the opponent. One other thing to look out for is I think the Jazz are a better team when they go to Exum off the bench. From their perspective he's a better matchup against D-Fox. Fox can run past Rubio easily, less so against a guy not quite but almost as quick as he is.

Yes we basically have to get some decent outside shooting tonight. These are teams we should run on but to do that we cannot come out cold and turn it into a half court game or the coach better figure out how to stop them inside.

I do not want to see our front court in foul trouble by the end of the first quarter. We need to send a message and play team ball crash the glass, double them down low when needed and on offense move the ball for the open shooter as we have them, limit the hero ball unless someone is HOT.

Go Kings

There was an interesting stat the Jazz starters on offense are only 90.8 points per 100 possessions, which is 8 points worst than the worst team in the NBA! (Chicago 98.8). As you are saying the pace is key to try to get them to score with us. They can't do it. They need a monster game from Mitchell or Ingles (like they had before). Our defense at the rim killed us in the first matchup with Gobert and Favors going a combined 14-17 FGs, 12 points over their combined average. Again, this is where we need WC$ to show some respectable resistance and where he usually lets us down.
Don’t forget in the first game, we started a three guard lineup with Buddy on Ingles. Iman got less than 20 min in the game and Jackson was on Ingles a lot of the game (30 min+ played for JJ).

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Don’t forget in the first game, we started a three guard lineup with Buddy on Ingles. Iman got less than 20 min in the game and Jackson was on Ingles a lot of the game (30 min+ played for JJ).
Yes. Shumpert's playing well. Bogs didn't play in that game. Bagley is playing better and getting more minutes. It's a different cast of characters for the Kings.