Clippers shopping #1?

wtf? after dumbleavy said hed pick griffin now hes shopping him? he should be shopping the caveman or camby NOT griffin

he can send back davis to the warriors for maggette and their pick with out giving back griff

wtf? after dumbleavy said hed pick griffin now hes shopping him? he should be shopping the caveman or camby NOT griffin

he can send back davis to the warriors for maggette and their pick with out giving back griff
That would depend on what they are offered for the #1 pick. I doubt they will get an offer to make them want to give it up, but it would have to be a lot IMO.

To not even consider offers would be a mistake as well. You have to at least see what others are willing to give up.

the ones they should be getting rid of are fat contracts aka kaman and camby.. camby is the easisest to move right there with his contract. zebo i doubt can be moved unless a good team with a good coach thinks he can make randolph a saint and work hard..

A

AriesMar27

i doubt that they trade the #1 pick unless a superstar really wants out and is willing to play for the clippers... amare or bosh maybe? they would be worth the #1 pick the clippers would be a definite playoff team if healthy.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I can see them maybe trading down for Rubio, but other than that I don't see them trading him.
Kinda what I'm thinking too....Damn it sucks we got #4!

But you know, Petrie hasnt made one of his trademark genius trades in about 4 seasons now. I think he's due!:p

i doubt that they trade the #1 pick unless a superstar really wants out and is willing to play for the clippers... amare or bosh maybe? they would be worth the #1 pick the clippers would be a definite playoff team if healthy.
Don't they have a nice line up now? I mean.....

PG-Davis
SG-Gordon
SF-Thorton
PF-Camby
C-Kaman

Bench-Davis, Randolph, Novak, Jordan

They aren't a playoff team because all these nice pieces don't fit together at all. Only on paper.

if we manage to snag griffin and rubio at the expense of kevin martin.. its pretty hard to swallow but id be up for it...

we can see if cisco has what it takes to break out and put up good stats

bajaden

Hall of Famer
if we manage to snag griffin and rubio at the expense of kevin martin.. its pretty hard to swallow but id be up for it...

we can see if cisco has what it takes to break out and put up good stats
I believe that Cisco has already had his break out year. Yeah I know, I almost missed it too..:rolleyes:

gunks

Hall of Famer
I wouldnt really worry about the hole at SG myself.

ALL Martin does is score. He does it extremely well but thats it. Other guys would step up and fill the scoring void until we find ourselfs a good replacement at the 2.

So, what would yall be willing to trade for him? They'd probably want Martin. I'd almost go for it. Scoring SGs are easily replacable.
Why would they want Martin when they have Gordon? If anything, I'm guessing they would JT or Hawes and #4. To that I say no way.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Gordon isnt the scorer Martin is, but you're right...He's young, the Org. is high on him.

I'd almost do a JT, #4 for Griffin. Just because there doesnt seem to be any good players at #4. And chances are pretty high that Griffin >>> JT.

It could end up being a bad for expiring contract swap. We take Z bo, they get KT. Something like that, but with the salaries matching.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey, maybe we can get the Cavaliers to trade Lebron James to us, too...

Good grief, people. The Clippers aren't shopping Blake Griffin. If you look in the NBA forum, you'll see the pretty blunt comment: We're taking Griffin. It doesn't get much clearer than that, regardless of what rumors might start floating around...

Hey, maybe we can get the Cavaliers to trade Lebron James to us, too...

Good grief, people. The Clippers aren't shopping Blake Griffin. If you look in the NBA forum, you'll see the pretty blunt comment: We're taking Griffin. It doesn't get much clearer than that, regardless of what rumors might start floating around...
"Taking" Griffin and "keeping" Griffin are different.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59372/20090525/are_clippers_shopping_first_pick/

"...According to numerous league sources.."

Ah the Clippers. If they draft Blake he will undoubtedly bust, if they trade the pick...Future HOFer haha.

So, what would yall be willing to trade for him? They'd probably want Martin. I'd almost go for it. Scoring SGs are easily replacable.
I would give the Clippers Beno and convince them that he will be the next great point guard. The Clips will probably throw in their #1 next year too.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Exactly what I was going to say. They could be saying we're taking Griffen at one, anybody wanna make us a really good offer?
Yep.

They got themselves a major frontcourt logjam with Kaman, Camby, Z Bo...Heck, even DeAndre Jordan has shown he should get some minutes.

They're going to take Griffin, and then let the offers roll in. I think if they can get themselves a better deal for Blake then what they could get for one of those I listed above, he's getting traded.

The other thing to consider as that Blake is not really projecting to be a superstar. He's projecting to be a super solid, allstar caliber big. The Clippers already have 3 of those, albiet 2 are injury prone and one is well....Z Bo. I'm sure if I'm the Clippers I'd want to hold onto Blake above Kaman and friends, but IF a good offer comes along I really doubt he's untouchable. Snagging the #1 pic from the Clips is not an impossibility IMHO, just not very likely (I'm pretty sure there are a lot of other teams out there that could put together a better package then what we have).

WTG with the uncalled for sarcasm though, VF21. You are setting a golden standard of board decorum as a mod here :rolleyes:

Last edited:
#1 picks are rarely traded on draft day or before. Last one was 1993 and the swap of#1 for #2 - Webber for Penny. Most years there are rumors floating that the #1 pick could be had for the right price. Add to it that the Clippers threw out the early "he's our man" statement and they have some pressure on themselves to pick him now or make a no-brainer deal. It doesn't mean it's impossible to have happen, but just very unlikely.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It makes sense to talk up Blake Griffin as a future hall of famer if you want to get the most value out of trading him. The Clippers legitimately should be considering all possible options. They're loaded down with contracts and veteran players but they can't win. Clearly team chemistry is a huge problem (and injuries). The question is, who wants him bad enough to pay the price? I think Oklahoma City is in love with the idea of keeping him in Oklahoma. That franchise would be set for years with Griffin on the block and Durant on the outside, not to mention the hometown kid appeal. And moving up to #3 puts them in striking distance of actually making it happen. Jeff Green and the #3 pick maybe? Other than Oklahoma City, I don't know who wants him bad enough to trade for him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It makes sense to talk up Blake Griffin as a future hall of famer if you want to get the most value out of trading him. The Clippers legitimately should be considering all possible options. They're loaded down with contracts and veteran players but they can't win. Clearly team chemistry is a huge problem (and injuries). The question is, who wants him bad enough to pay the price? I think Oklahoma City is in love with the idea of keeping him in Oklahoma. That franchise would be set for years with Griffin on the block and Durant on the outside, not to mention the hometown kid appeal. And moving up to #3 puts them in striking distance of actually making it happen. Jeff Green and the #3 pick maybe? Other than Oklahoma City, I don't know who wants him bad enough to trade for him.

Well Memphis has a monstruous hole at the PF themselves. Really eithe they or OKC should be after him if their scoouts like him. If he's the real deal, he's a great fit either place. If he's not...well then somebody is going to get burned, just a question of who.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"Taking" Griffin and "keeping" Griffin are different.
It's Donald Sterling and the Clippers. Pick the worst course of action they could possibly take and that's most likely the one they'll pursue - Blake Griffin be damned.

They'll keep him to put some butts in the seats for a while. If he works out, they'll wait for an unbelievably cheap offer from the Lakers. If he doesn't work out, they'll keep him forever...

:p

gunks

Hall of Famer
If something happens it will probably be the deal we talked about in our #1 pick jinx thread.

OKC sends their pick and Green for hometown hero Griffin. I dont know who Memphis has to package with the #2 pick to move up.

I honestly think this should be an interesting draft. I dont know if we'll get in on it, but between the Rubio drama and the Clippers having to many big bodies, something may go down.

Damn shame the basketball gods chose to spit in our eye yet again and give us pick 4.

If something happens it will probably be the deal we talked about in our #1 pick jinx thread.

OKC sends their pick and Green for hometown hero Griffin. I dont know who Memphis has to package with the #2 pick to move up.

I honestly think this should be an interesting draft. I dont know if we'll get in on it, but between the Rubio drama and the Clippers having to many big bodies, something may go down.

Damn shame the basketball gods chose to spit in our eye yet again and give us pick 4.
See this is why #1 picks rarely get moved. I think you would have a tough time giving up the #1 pick to anyone on the Thunder or Grizz roster for anything less than Durant or OJ Mayo. Griffin is the best player available in this draft right now. You only trade that pick if somebody blows you away with an offer. If I was the Clips and got offered Green and the #3... I would politely pass on that.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
See this is why #1 picks rarely get moved. I think you would have a tough time giving up the #1 pick to anyone on the Thunder or Grizz roster for anything less than Durant or OJ Mayo. Griffin is the best player available in this draft right now. You only trade that pick if somebody blows you away with an offer. If I was the Clips and got offered Green and the #3... I would politely pass on that.

I understand where your coming from, but were talking about the Clippers here. They're projected payroll for next year is slightly under 60 mil. Thats without signing the first pick in the draft which puts them at around 65 mil. Thats a chunk of change for a team that didn't make the playoffs. Not to mention that the luxury tax threshold is susposed to move to under 60 mil next year. If so that Griffin signing will cost them 10 mil instead of 5 mil.

In other words, thier not a great team, and their in finanical hell. So I don't think it comes as a shock that they would like to move down in the draft, or move one of their bigs and take back less for them. For instance if we were interested in Kaman who will make a little over 10 mil next year, we could trade Kenny Thomas straight up because were under the cap. It would save them around 2 mil next year and 11 mil in 2010 because KT comes off the books. Camby would also come off the books, so they would go from finanical hell to being a player in the FA market in one year.

I'm not proposing that trade, I'm just using it as an example, and probably the route they would prefer to take.

Yeah, I just don't know what the Clippers would be thinking they could get for the #1. Ideally they'd use the #1 to rid themselves of Zach Randolph, but Blake Griffin and Randolph as a package deal doesn't make much sense for anyone because they are both strictly PFs.

They could possibly look to trade Baron and the #1 to get out from under his deal (say Baron/#1 for Beno/KT/#4 -- which I'd have to think an hour on to decide how I feel about it), but it would be tough for them to give up BOTH Baron and the #1 unless they think Baron is really truly done as a player.

The only thing I think could make sense would be if Memphis traded them the #2 and a future first rounder for #1. Memphis takes Griffin to fill their gaping PF hole, LA takes Rubio, and both rosters are probably better off in the long run.

The only thing I think could make sense would be if Memphis traded them the #2 and a future first rounder for #1. Memphis takes Griffin to fill their gaping PF hole, LA takes Rubio, and both rosters are probably better off in the long run.
Supposedly the Clips are really high on Rubio, too. So this does seem like a possible deal partner.