Clippers blow it up?

Are the Clippers out of the playoff race?

• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
Woah. Guess they're hitting the reset button again?

My guess is they probably got word that Tobias was going to walk this summer. I mean, they're only 3 games out of the 4 seed, doesn't really make sense to sell your best player otherwise when you're right in the middle of a playoff push.

2 1sts, 2 2nds and Shamet is a pretty damn good haul for not quite an all-star that's going to want a max contract this summer.

Wowers, not sure how I feel about it coming from the Sixers POV considering that he's an expiring contract, but man.

I feel really bad for Harris though. 5th team in 8 years... far from a journey man. Maybe this could help us during the offseason too. Offer Tobais Harris a permanent home on a good contract.

I don't think the Clippers are blowing it up. They'd just rather get value for a player rather than lose him in FA. What's 8th seed going to do for them? We'd probably still lose to them without Tobias lol.

Am I the only one who feels like the sixers got robbed here? They gave up an extreme amount for what is essentially just Tobias Harris. Landry Shamet is a good player. This helps Philly a bit, but jeez...
I like the fact they are at least going all in you could do a lot worse than a core of Embiid Simmons/Harris/Butler and even if both Butler/Harris walk you still got two studs to build around so no real lose to them imo, I don't really think those draft picks will help them as much as quality players to pair with Joel/Ben over the next 2-3 seasons.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Am I the only one who feels like the sixers got robbed here? They gave up an extreme amount for what is essentially just Tobias Harris. Landry Shamet is a good player and that is a ton of picks. This helps Philly a bit, but jeez...
They're going all in this season and you can't deny that Embiid/Simmons/Harris/Butler/Reddick is probably the most talented starting five in the easter conference. Their bench is now going to be super thin but that's what ten day contracts are for.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wowers, not sure how I feel about it coming from the Sixers POV considering that he's an expiring contract, but man.

I feel really bad for Harris though. 5th team in 8 years... far from a journey man. Maybe this could help us during the offseason too. Offer Tobais Harris a permanent home on a good contract.

I don't think the Clippers are blowing it up. They'd just rather get value for a player rather than lose him in FA. What's 8th seed going to do for them? We'd probably still lose to them without Tobias lol.
Without Tobias or Boban ahead of him on the depth chart, it would allow Montrez "Kingkiller" Harrell to play 40 minutes against us.

Am I the only one who feels like the sixers got robbed here? They gave up an extreme amount for what is essentially just Tobias Harris. Landry Shamet is a good player and that is a ton of picks. This helps Philly a bit, but jeez...

Which makes sense. Their book is completely clean, so in theory, they'd be able to pay all 4 and fill the rest of the team out on rookie deals and min contracts.

I love it. They're building themselves a really strong title window here with that core 4. Harris is an awesome, awesome fit with Simmons and Embiid and makes them incredibly difficult to guard. Buy some 2nd round picks, be smart with your MLE/Vet mins, scrounge the buy-out market of players that's always there (Faried anyone?).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Which makes sense. Their book is completely clean, so in theory, they'd be able to pay all 4 and fill the rest of the team out on rookie deals and min contracts.

I love it. They're building themselves a really strong title window here with that core 4. Harris is an awesome, awesome fit with Simmons and Embiid and makes them incredibly difficult to guard. Buy some 2nd round picks, be smart with your MLE/Vet mins, scrounge the buy-out market of players that's always there (Faried anyone?).
Honestly, one thing that could help them is moving Butler for another less volatile, better-fit complimentary talent. Say you move Butler plus whatever assets you have left for Conley and Garrett Temple. Something like that might not be as talented on paper as having Butler but would probably lead to being a better longterm contender.

As long as Montrezl is on the Clippers, we will lose to the Clippers.

But seriously that's why I questioned the trade. That's a huge haul of picks, especially that Miami pick. And Shamet is a serious 3PT threat. Tobias is really good but he's fringe all-star.

If they can't retain him after this year then this ends up being a brutal trade for Philadelphia.

Edit: to add on, as far as I'm concerned, nobody else is going to win a title until the Warriors dynasty ends. Literally their entire lineup is potential Hall of Famers. So the sixers need to keep Harris for this to make sense.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
But seriously that's why I questioned the trade. That's a huge haul of picks, especially that Miami pick. And Shamet is a serious 3PT threat. Tobias is really good but he's fringe all-star.

If they can't retain him after this year then this ends up being a brutal trade for Philadelphia.
To be fair, I've been saying that about the Mavericks trading almost all their tradeable assets for Porzingis.

So who is the sixers bench now?
PG McConnell
SG ?
SF Korkmaz?
PF Bolden? Scott?
C Boban/Amir Johnson?

Those starters about to be playing like 40mpg unless they're able to make another move for a better bench piece. Reggie Bullock is a combo SG/SF that would've fit perfectly and really put them over the top. He got moved to LAL.

To me, the only big value for the Clippers is the unprotected 2021 first-round pick from Miami. The rest is MEH. The Sixers pick in 2020 isn't likely to be all that valuable.

To me, the only big value for the Clippers is the unprotected 2021 first-round pick from Miami. The rest is MEH. The Sixers pick in 2020 isn't likely to be all that valuable.
Yea, but the cupboard is now totally empty for a few years. Once they resign all the core guys they're prob gonna be relying on ring chasing vets signing for the minimum like the warriors have been doing.

Btw, this is exactly why we need to be proactive with our cap space/enders and not enter FA with a bunch of money expecting to compete with Knicks, Clippers, Lakers, Nets, Suns, Hawks, Bulls, Pacers all of whom are going to have a mountain of money.

Important to point out that the Clippers pick is only top 14 protected this year. Meaning they lose it if they make the playoffs. Also something that is very worth noting is the new lotto reforms which legitimately allow the top 9 teams to have a realistic chance at a top 4 pick. http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

If the Clippers start legitimately tanking, they could drop to the 6th worst team, but still have a little under 40% chance of landing a top 4 pick. Not sure that they could drop that much though. The East is horrible this year.

Sizers need to trade Faults for a bench player than they will probably get Wes Matthews when he’s bought out.

This trade also means we should be ending our playoff drought