Clint Capela?

I haven’t seen much discussion on the possibility of going after Clint Capela. Seems like an elite player and the rockets can’t easily afford him.

If HOU goes after LeBron then he’s gone for sure. Could try to use WCS as trade bait for a SF and then sign Capela. Or maybe just a S&T with HOU that frees them up cash

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Capela is not a elite player but he does have an elite skillset, either way, he won't be a possibility for the Kings unless Willie goes in the process

If you pay Capela a max contract you need to be certain that he is going to be a long term piece and that he can continue to improve and play at a high level, otherwise the team will be stuck with a tough contract to move because teams don't tend to want to pay a high price for centers of a more traditional style.

Would I pay a max contract to Capela?

I think it would very much depend on how the draft goes for us. If we were to land a go to scorer (e.g. Porter or Bagley), then Fox and Bogdanovic can develop into strong second and third options, then I think adding Capela could be a worthwhile move because he is an upgrade over WCS. However, if the draft sees Bamba or Jackson fall to us, then I don't see signing Capela as a worthwhile because we might as well invest in the younger and cheaper talent and use our cap space elsewhere.

My concern with Capela is that he is kinda like DeAndre Jordan. Now that caliber of player can be very useful, but you need the other pieces in place in the starting line up otherwise the team is wasting their money because he's unlikely to impact the team enough to boost the win count significantly. I would not have a major issue in us signing him, but we need to make sure we are well positioned to make best use of his skill set at that price tag.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's been rumored that Capella could be offered the max contract by the Suns. I think he's a very good player, but not a great fit for the Kings. I really want a big man who can hit 3 pointers and spread the floor for Fox, not gum up the works and allow guys like Gobert to pack the paint. Markenanen would be a good fit. Spellman, if he comes out, would be a good fit. No doubt there are others.

Given the fact that WCS seems to be a very poor man's Capella, I would say he's a very bad fit for this team. He can't even hit open 17 footers on a regular basis, much less 3 pointers.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's been rumored that Capella could be offered the max contract by the Suns. I think he's a very good player, but not a great fit for the Kings. I really want a big man who can hit 3 pointers and spread the floor for Fox, not gum up the works and allow guys like Gobert to pack the paint. Markenanen would be a good fit. Spellman, if he comes out, would be a good fit. No doubt there are others.

Given the fact that WCS seems to be a very poor man's Capella, I would say he's a very bad fit for this team. He can't even hit open 17 footers on a regular basis, much less 3 pointers.
Somewhere, there's a guy with a bat screaming... ;)

PG: Fox
SG: Buddy
SF: Doncic
PF: Giles
C: Capela
6: Bogdan
7: Skal
Trade WCS and Randolph for whoever. Assuming Giles is as good as some people say he is this seems like a damn good young core.

Of course Capela isn’t going to be a great offensive fit, but he was second in the league in blocks last season if I recall correctly. It would be great to have a big that can just flat out play defense.

I think Nurkic is going to be a bigger possibility at this point. Imagine if we draft Doncic (which I believe will happen in my heart of hearts so long as Ayton goes 1). With Peja being named Assistant Manager I could really see him and Vlade going hard after Nurkic to create a former Yugoslavia core. Portland after trading with us to move up to take Collins last year, would be bold to pay Nurkic big bucks in the position they are financially.

Fox/Frank
Buddy/Bogie
Doncic/JJ
WCS/Giles
Nurkic/Kosta

That’s a team that could compete for a playoff spot as early as next year, so long as Doncic looks to be as advertised. I would probably sign a veteran pg who won’t require too many minutes like a Jose Calderon and take a flier on Hezonja for maybe 6-8 mil per year for a season or two with a team option on the second season.

While I think Nurkić is a possibility in the offseason, I don’t think it has anything to do with him being from Former Yugoslavia but more with the position he plays and the skill set that he possesses. It might be easier to get him to Sacramento because of that connection.

He is a skilled big man who can do a bit of everything and has a bit of nasty to his game which this team desperately needs from their big men.

I do think that Dončić will be the likely pick at 2 and adding Nurkić would add some more passing from the position. Would be worried about spacing and general lack of athleticism for that team though.

PG: Fox
SG: Buddy
SF: Doncic
PF: Giles
C: Capela
6: Bogdan
7: Skal
Trade WCS and Randolph for whoever. Assuming Giles is as good as some people say he is this seems like a damn good young core.

Of course Capela isn’t going to be a great offensive fit, but he was second in the league in blocks last season if I recall correctly. It would be great to have a big that can just flat out play defense.
Giles is a Center. Need to pair him with a Markennan type.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’m hearing some say Phoneix loves him and are going to throw him an offer this summer
Drafting Ayton and them immediately signing a guy who'd mostly get in his way on offense to a max contract would be such a bad idea and yet something I can see the Suns doing.

Has this changed recently? I don’t know much about him but it says PF when I look it up online.
In todays Nba his skill set predicts him being a center. I assume he isnt a reliable 3point shooter so it should be a no brainer to think of him as a center that can be used situationally as a 4.

Giles is a Center. Need to pair him with a Markennan type.
I think the team wants him to be more of a PF who can play minutes at C.

Good handle, good passing, some low post game, good motor and a jump shot that is a work in progress. I think in time the team might see him as a PF, especially give his freakish agility and quick feet.

Drafting Ayton and them immediately signing a guy who'd mostly get in his way on offense to a max contract would be such a bad idea and yet something I can see the Suns doing.
If they draft Ayton, they won't go after Capela. If their pick is Doncic, then Capela makes a whole lot more sense for PHX. You can someone who can get him the buckets like Harden can, you surround him with players who can shoot the 3 and you are on the way somewhere.

If the Suns draft Ayton (as they should) then Capela is an afterthought for them.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If they draft Ayton, they won't go after Capela. If their pick is Doncic, then Capela makes a whole lot more sense for PHX. You can someone who can get him the buckets like Harden can, you surround him with players who can shoot the 3 and you are on the way somewhere.

If the Suns draft Ayton (as they should) then Capela is an afterthought for them.
The Suns dropped major money on Tyson Chandler then almost immediately attempted to give LMA then, last offseason, Blake Griffin. It wouldn't be the craziest thing they've done.

The Suns dropped major money on Tyson Chandler then almost immediately attempted to give LMA then, last offseason, Blake Griffin. It wouldn't be the craziest thing they've done.
Chandler is a C while the other two are PFs.

Ayton and Capela are both Cs so it would not be the smartest move out there. Mind you given how PHX have operated in the last few years, nothing would surprise me. They could literally draft Bamba at #1 and I would not be surprised. They beat to the sound of their own drum over there.

I think the team wants him to be more of a PF who can play minutes at C.

Good handle, good passing, some low post game, good motor and a jump shot that is a work in progress. I think in time the team might see him as a PF, especially give his freakish agility and quick feet.
I would agree if he learns to stretch the floor

If we draft Doncic I would not be surprised in the slightest and we showed interest in Nurkic in FA.

Joerger has said quite a few times that we are thin up front without much girth (save for Randolph). Well Nurkic addresses that, rebound well, has a bruising post game, has some nasty to him and some passing savvy. Also likes to play as part of a team and not hero ball. I think he fits a lot of the stuff that the team is looking for.

Question marks are, lack of spacing and his durability (though he only missed 2 games this season). Not sure if he will get the MAX but he will get a pretty good deal. I am sure Portland would love to keep him but the tax implications are huge. I would not be surprised if they pull off some trades that allows them to keep Nurkic.