Clint Capela (split)

Jeff Siegel@jgsiegel
· 1h

Clint Capela seems like an obvious target for the Kings with that additional $1M in space, if they're going to be active in free agency. Might be more important to them to get that $1M for the trade market.

Yeah thats the ticket, we can have 8 bigs under contract this coming year

But next year we could drop/trade 4 of them
Still have Bagley/Clint and Giles/Skal

Jeff Siegel@jgsiegel
· 1h
Clint Capela seems like an obvious target for the Kings with that additional $1M in space, if they're going to be active in free agency. Might be more important to them to get that $1M for the trade market.

If we end up keeping Davis I wonder if Kosta is on his way out too?

Jeff Siegel@jgsiegel
· 1h

That might be the best big man rotation in the league if everything works out well.

Jeff Siegel@jgsiegel
· 1h

as good as Capela is, this would be such a horrible move. In the last 3 years, the Kings have invested the 5th, 13th, 28th, 20th, and 2nd overall picks on big men.

Now, I'm not saying Capela is our target, but I'd probably be done with Vlade. Wtf would he do with this stockpile of big men?

as good as Capela is, this would be such a horrible move. In the last 3 years, the Kings have invested the 5th, 13th, 28th, 20th, and 2nd overall picks on big men.

Now, I'm not saying Capela is our target, but I'd probably be done with Vlade. Wtf would he do with this stockpile of big men?
I’d praise him for once, personally. Maybe WCS is involved in the sign and trade. But aside from Giles/Bagley/and maybe Skal it’s all random pieces that can be moved IMO

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Rockets are matching whatever Kings could possibly pay for Capela. They don't care if they pay $100 mill in luxury tax. They love taxes. (They can pay mine while they're at it). The more the better. Capela is a pipe dream for the Kings.

Rockets are matching whatever Kings could possibly pay for Capela. They don't care if they pay $100 mill in luxury tax. They love taxes. (They can pay mine while they're at it). The more the better. Capela is a pipe dream for the Kings.
Last I heard they were offering 15 a year. Rockets are over the tax now I believe with roster spots to fill. I think it’s feasible they’d take WCS/Skal in a S/T if they think Capela was a system player

I don't think Houston match any offer, Capela got shown up by Green in the playoffs when he took away the lob from Harden and Capela couldn't create for himself. They also fouled him off the ball and sent him to the line which made Houston sub him out in the clutch. Houston sees his flaws which is why the lower initial offer. Sure they'll pay more but if the offer pushes up past $22mil per year over five years I think they'll question whether he is worth it.

It’s clear big name FAs don't see the Kings as their ideal destination. The only way we are going to land a big name is to trade for one. In order to trade for one we are going to have to give up something great so I've been thinking about this after the Temple trade and believe this is where our cap space can come in to play.

I think Capela would be a great fit for the Miami Heat as they are now in that last desperate window to have a shot in the East with the players they have. Their current roster will not beat Boston or Philly so they need an upgrade. They didn’t play Whiteside in the playoffs much because he couldn’t defend the perimeter which is why Capela, his defence, age and potential would be the ideal candidate for them if they could replace Whiteside with him.

Capela isn’t going to want to go from the best record in the West to the Kings but if we sign him on the provision that we trade him immediately for Whiteside so he ends up in Miami I think he would agree with that. We don’t have enough money available so Rockets won’t match but will if we waive Randolph or Shumpert we will.

Obviously, Kings need to benefit from this trade and even though Whiteside gives us the shot blocking and defensive presence we are lacking, Capella, especially if we sign him to a 4-5 year contract, is worth a lot more than that to Miami. If Miami includes Winslow and Adebayo in that trade I do it straight away and would send them WCS as well to help clear the logjam at C. I know that Miami won’t want to give up their future with Bam and Winslow but this trade would be looked at more as investing in their future with Capela.

Winslow at SF is the opposite of JJ, with size, defence and strength. Bam can defend and rebound, has a great relationship with both Fox and Giles that we saw in Summer league and both fit our timeline perfectly. Whiteside has a player option the following year and will take that up because he won’t get $27 mil in FA. Kings stay under the Cap. KK, Shumpert, McLemore and Davis all come off the books next season giving us around $30 mil to resign Winslow and FAs to improve the roster further.

Line up would be:

Fox / Mason
Bogdan / Buddy / McLemore
Winslow / JJ / Shumpert
Giles / Bagley / Skal
Whiteside / Adebayo / KK / Davis

That’s a much better roster than last season for the Kings. We stay young, improve defensively and move out those players who shouldn’t see minutes above those we already have.

This makes a lot more sense for Miami instead of going after Melo as they likely save money, lock down a young talent and have the piece they were missing last playoffs that they can build around.

Randolph can sign on the Veterans minimum with Grizzles and finish his career there so he wins too instead of sitting for a season.

I believe their last offer was 85 over 5 yrs ave 17 yr he wanted 4 yrs 100m 25yr

We could do 4 yrs 88 mil, 22m ave

You can stretch Bmac new cap is 24mil
enough to get to 4 yr 100 mil

trade WCS for SF

Fox,Mason, Min PG(gone 2019)
Bogs,Buddy ,Shumpert(Gone 2019)
SF(WCS Trade), Justin
Bagley, Skal,Zbo (Zbo gone 2019)
Clint,Giles, Davis, KK, (KK Gone 2019)

I see 3 big rotation!!

Last edited:
Capela is fool's gold. He works great in Houston, because of their system, with Paul and Harden creating space and giving him the ball exactly where he needs it. Take him out of that system, make him your #1 star, you have a completely different player and you are in trouble.
Sure he would upgrade our defense, but he's not a franchise player worth the max.

Capela is fool's gold. He works great in Houston, because of their system, with Paul and Harden creating space and giving him the ball exactly where he needs it. Take him out of that system, make him your #1 star, you have a completely different player and you are in trouble.
Sure he would upgrade our defense, but he's not a franchise player worth the max.
He’s the best player the Kings will possibly be able to acquire now and the next several years. They are only in position to acquire him due to the lack of teams with space. In the coming years the Kings, with market/reputation/tax not on their side, will have to fight on a more even ground for FAs

Not really a question to me if he’s worth the max, even I’d say probably no. But he’s the best we will be able to acquire, I view him as better than non prime assets via renting space, and his contract won’t likely be at financial issue as it aligns with Bagley

Do CP3 and Harden make Clint a dominant rebounder and defender at 24 years old? Sure, he's not going to get nearly the same easy looks he would here, but that doesn't change the style of player he is.

He's basically a better version of Prime Tyson Chandler. Plays within himself on offense, only goes for high % looks and completely controls the glass and is a dominant rim protector. I'm not sure if I'd make the investment for us because I want Giles starting asap, but there's 0 doubt he's worth 20+ mil a season.

But still, my lord a big man rotation of Bagley/Capela/Giles/Skal has a chance to be truly great. Just incredible length/rebounding and 2-way potential.

Exactly!!! Capela is nothing special without Harden and Paul. He is a good fit next to a star perimeter player/s with vision but without that just a solid defensive and rebounding center. At 20mil a season for 4 to 5 years in todays nba im not sure thats a wise deal.

Yes getting Clint would bring us to 8 bigs this year
But if we can trade WCS for any SF
Zbo, KK both gone at end of year
Davis could be 1.9 mil RFA next year, but prob gone
that makes 4 bigs, Clint,Bagley,Giles,Skal great rotation

Do CP3 and Harden make Clint a dominant rebounder and defender at 24 years old? Sure, he's not going to get nearly the same easy looks he would here, but that doesn't change the style of player he is.

He's basically a better version of Prime Tyson Chandler. Plays within himself on offense, only goes for high % looks and completely controls the glass and is a dominant rim protector. I'm not sure if I'd make the investment for us because I want Giles starting asap, but there's 0 doubt he's worth 20+ mil a season.

But still, my lord a big man rotation of Bagley/Capela/Giles/Skal has a chance to be truly great. Just incredible length/rebounding and 2-way potential.
His price tag is the hold up. Not to mention that he may be a redundant player with Giles/WCS/Bagley on the court. It's risky to wrap up 20million a year in a guy who's skill set may be the same as the guys we already have on the roster.

He's a good player but his numbers will go down in Sacramento and whether he's needed or not is a question mark.

His price tag is the hold up. Not to mention that he may be a redundant player with Giles/WCS/Bagley on the court. It's risky to wrap up 20million a year in a guy who's skill set may be the same as the guys we already have on the roster.

He's a good player but his numbers will go down in Sacramento and whether he's needed or not is a question mark.
Few things. I think if any Capela deal did come to fruition, we'd almost assuredly be sending back WCS in a trade. So we wouldn't be losing an asset for nothing and not be in the awkward spot of having to pay WCS $10-$12 mil for a "maybe?" starter.

Agreed about Capela maybe being redundant, but this is different in a sense of where we were at with Lavine and Parker. We KNOW Capela is a freaking awesome player, we're not betting on him making significant strides when he comes here. Dude is just flat out good. The offensive efficiency will go down obviously, but I don't see any reason the defense or the rebounding suffers. And Capela is still such a smart offensive player that he's not going to pull a WCS on us and for some reason become inefficient.

I like the fit as well with Bagley and Giles long-term, both of whom project as "do it all" kind of guys, especially on the offensive end. Getting a dominant rim protector and rebounder to take the pressure off as they develop can't be a bad thing for a couple seasons. And you have to imagine that Capela at age 26 wouldn't be too hard of an asset to trade if Giles and Bagley are cooking by then. Even if not, is having 3 mega-athletic, long, gifted bigs who project as great rebounders truly a bad thing?

I was on the "Fade Capela" train for awhile because I want Giles to be a thing from the get-go, but thinking about it more, there's just too many benefits and too much opportunity cost to pass up here if we get something to materialize.

-Capela makes us significantly better on defense and rebounding, two of our team's bigger weaknesses. And even with the expected offensive efficiency drop, I still expect Capela to put up great efficiency numbers. He just isn't going to all of a sudden forget who he is as a player.
-We get something for WCS and aren't put in that awkward spot of having to decide if he's worth $10+mil
-We won't get close to adding a player of Capela's caliber in FA for a long, long, long, long time if ever. $60 mil won't do us any good next off-season
-Bagley/Capela/Giles is a freaking awesome big man rotation with insane amounts of upside. We'd have a chance to be truly unique in the NBA and force teams to match up to us and punish small-ball teams.The athleticism, length, rebounding, defensive potential, offensive upside for all three guys is super enticing to put together and something that no team would be able to deal with in a couple seasons.
-As I've been saying all off-season, a big deal this year doesn't affect the long-term future. Paying Capela doesn't cost us Buddy/Bogdan/Giles/Fox/Bagley.
-If Giles and Bagley ARE cooking 2 years down the line, I think a 26 year old Capela will certainly be a desirable asset on the trade market, unlike George Hill.

To speak a little bit more in depth on my first comment.

Capela is seeking 4/100. He is a good player, and IMO the best player that will be available to the Kings in FA in quite some time. The offer probably needs to be damn close for him to sign here or Houston not to match. The easiest way to get there ostensibly is the stretch

I’d do it upon agreement that he would sign the offer. Worst case scenario and Houston matches without S/T and it’s only a hit for a couple years after this, before Fox comes up for more years and the team still isn’t a FA destination. We would have more ammo to take on cap for assets or holler at the remaining FAs without competition

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: I took the last couple of days of Capela comments out of the Free Agency thread and split them off into their own thread. This way, hopefully, discussion of Capela won't keep popping up in unrelated threads.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
To speak a little bit more in depth on my first comment.

Capela is seeking 4/100. He is a good player, and IMO the best player that will be available to the Kings in FA in quite some time. The offer probably needs to be damn close for him to sign here or Houston not to match. The easiest way to get there ostensibly is the stretch

I’d do it upon agreement that he would sign the offer. Worst case scenario and Houston matches without S/T and it’s only a hit for a couple years after this, before Fox comes up for more years and the team still isn’t a FA destination. We would have more ammo to take on cap for assets or holler at the remaining FAs without competition
If we stretched an expiring contract to overpay Capela and Houston matched that would be a fireable offense and the epitome of LOL KANGZ.

We'd be better served working out a S&T if we did have interest, I really don't think there is any credible information that we do.

I'm against (not totally) signing Capela at a huge price he gives me that Serge Ibaka vibe when Serge was on OKC and was hailed as a upcoming beast but really was a solid starter when moved to a average/good team, both made easy wide open baskets due to god level talent around them and Serge's man to man defense was not great to me personally but everyone saw the blocks.

If we were to sign him I would root for him obviously he seems like a good guy who plays hard /good size and has improved greatly but the IQ/making others better/natural scoring ability and all those other things to me are missing and could hurt him when Fox/Bogie are the primary play-makers over Harden/Paul. At this point I don't see him anywhere near as good as Gobert defensively who is worth that kind of money.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm against (not totally) signing Capela at a huge price he gives me that Serge Ibaka vibe when Serge was on OKC and was hailed as a upcoming beast but really was a solid starter when moved to a average/good team, both made easy wide open baskets due to god level talent around them and Serge's man to man defense was not great to me personally but everyone saw the blocks.

If we were to sign him I would root for him obviously he seems like a good guy who plays hard /good size and has improved greatly but the IQ/making others better/natural scoring ability and all those other things to me are missing and could hurt him when Fox/Bogie are the primary play-makers over Harden/Paul. At this point I don't see him anywhere near as good as Gobert defensively who is worth that kind of money.
I tend to agree that he shined with the talent around him and can't help but wonder if we did S&T WCS for Capela would WCS have a breakout season in a contract year and put Houston in the exact same spot?

Which would be another LOL KANGZ moment.

I just don't see why we would make this guy the highest paid player on the team when he may not even be a starter in 2 years?

I tend to agree that he shined with the talent around him and can't help but wonder if we did S&T WCS for Capela would WCS have a breakout season in a contract year and put Houston in the exact same spot?

I just don't see why we would make this guy the highest paid player on the team when he may not even be a starter in 2 years?
To me if we wanted a Capela type player we could have easily signed Noel to like a 2 year 20 million (or less) dollar deal since he had a down season with Dallas and hope he became healthy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Bingo!

Capela is everything we wished WCS was: a double-double machine who can switch and protect the rim while playing with high IQ. Getting him, if we can, is a no-brainer. Our guards are obviously not Harden/Paul, but the triumvarate of Fox/Buddy/Bogi would be excellent at utilizing Capela in a similar fashion.

And yes, WCS will have a breakout season next year wherever he may be. We all see it coming, and we all know it’s fool’s gold. I would rather some other team gets goat-roped into paying him $17M per year.