Caron Butler on his season, DMC and the future

Glenn

Hall of Famer
He expected playing time. When he got none, us fans tried to explain it with as many a creative thought as we could come up with. He says "I wasn't treated fairly in the situation." No kidding, Caron. Then listen to what he says about Boogie. He likes his passion. He wasn't negative about Boogie at all and was given a chance to be negative.

We wasted a great basketball player in Caron and as he said he was told he would play regular minutes by the coach, he was lied to. He didn't even get garbage minutes. It was so very, very bizarre what happened to him. He was asked what coach might entice him to come back to the Kings. He liked Vinnie D. as a coach. Interesting.

This is an interview for those who still had the smallest shred of thought that Karl was not a major problem and it was also an interview that told what Boogie's impact was on the team. It's only one man's opinion but it is a believable man's opinion. We wasted talent. This is the result of a side to Karl that is absolutely incomprehensible.

The team was in deeper crap than any of us thought.

Last edited:
Karl impacted a lot, if not the majority, of our players in a negative way. Hard to grade any of the players performance this year, as we have no idea what was going on behind the scenes. That's on top of what was obviously wrong with scheme and playing time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Very interesting. Put's Vinny in a whole different light for me. So thank you Caron. I never understood why he didn't get more playing time. Every time he was on the floor, he played well. So I hope he returns. In any event, I wish him all the best in the world, and hope his movie is a big box office success.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He expected playing time. When he got none, us fans tried to explain it with as many a creative thought as we could come up with. He says "I wasn't treated fairly in the situation." No kidding, Caron. Then listen to what he says about Boogie. He likes his passion. He wasn't negative about Boogie at all and was given a chance to be negative.

We wasted a great basketball player in Caron and as he said he was told he would play regular minutes by the coach, he was lied to. He didn't even get garbage minutes. It was so very, very bizarre what happened to him. He was asked what coach might entice him to come back to the Kings. He liked Vinnie D. as a coach. Interesting.

This is an interview for those who still had the smallest shred of thought that Karl was not a major problem and it was also an interview that told what Boogie's impact was on the team. It's only one man's opinion but it is a believable man's opinion. We wasted talent. This is the result of a side to Karl that is absolutely incomprehensible.

Internal problems within the organization? just another season in Cowbell Kingdom, this is non news but it's nice to see another player talk about it. A well respected one at that.

I understand why he was upset. You don't promise playing time to a guy and then not give it to him. I could see if he got a ton of time and just sucked. But he wasn't even given the opportunity, which made it impossible to trade him as well. But Caron is a standup guy and handled it like a professional.

It certainly doesn't paint a nice picture for trying to bring in veterans.

I understand why he was upset. You don't promise playing time to a guy and then not give it to him. I could see if he got a ton of time and just sucked. But he wasn't even given the opportunity, which made it impossible to trade him as well. But Caron is a standup guy and handled it like a professional.

It certainly doesn't paint a nice picture for trying to bring in veterans.
Considering that the coach is the one who promised minutes and didn't give them to him, I don't think it will make a difference.

the cracks were always there with Karl and now its all coming to the surface. What a wasted year.

Demarcus will get asked for the first time by national media outlets what his long term future is now FA is upcoming. We are in for an interesting summer.

I dont doubt that he'll lead with - i like sac and want to be part of changing the perception of the team and leading us to success, but im sure they'll be looking to leverage what has transpired recently to get a different view from boogie.

In any case its clear as day the greatest thing we can do is bring in a coach to gel with the team and move foward. it is the single most important aspect here.

dude12

Hall of Famer

Wrong......I thought we were in deep, deep crap because of Karl for awhile. I'll stick to my opinion that Karl is a bad coach.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Can we get a recap of what was said?
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2016/04/21/listen-caron-butler-on-the-drive/

If you can't hear this for some reason, the notes on this thread cover it all pretty well. Basically Karl told Caron he would get roughly 20 minutes a game and he got none. Also he said Boogie was receptive to player intervention in the locker room. He was not pig headed. Caron was asked what coach if signed might convince him to come back with the Kings and he said Vinnie D.

Last edited:
But wait - doesn't Caron's words directly contradict Grant's incessant blaming of everything on Cousins?
Caron pretty clearly is saying that the ORGANIZATION (obviously including the owner) are not holding themselves accountable, and the players are open to admitting mistakes and getting better (but by extension, the front office/ownership aren't).

There is simply NO WAY that Caron's words can be true, and Grant's repeated statements about Demarcus (specifically, that Demarcus is not held accountable, won't accept blame, and is pampered by the team) also be true.

If Caron is telling the truth, why doesn;t the organization (or just the players!) come out and stomp on Grant for his constant slander?

Further, if Caron is telling the truth (and Grant is lying and misleading the public re: Cousins), why don't the other media members call him out on his lies and manipulations?

Caron loves Cousins and says Cousins can take criticism. Some posters on Kings fans assume it means all other criticisms of Cousins are invalid. Cousins has acted like this with every coach except Malone who is the GOAT Cousins couch. Maybe Cousins will live up to his potential with a new coach. History shows long odds.

Caron loves Cousins and says Cousins can take criticism. Some posters on Kings fans assume it means all other criticisms of Cousins are invalid. Cousins has acted like this with every coach except Malone who is the GOAT Cousins couch. Maybe Cousins will live up to his potential with a new coach. History shows long odds.
Care to give an example? I'm pretty sure you won't since you just made it up. :rolleyes:

I'd venture to guess Vlade was a part of that promise as well.
That thought had crossed my mind also. But .......... it's also up to the coach to give the minutes, otherwise Vlade would be micro-managing the coach. So was Vlade part of the "promise" for definite minutes or was he of the "understanding" or "agreement" that there would be those definite minutes and those minutes were promised by the coach. Would have to be there to know. One those shade at him and the other not so much, would depend on what the coach was telling him.

Wrong......I thought we were in deep, deep crap because of Karl for awhile. I'll stick to my opinion that Karl is a bad coach.
Well, Karl WAS a good/great HOF coach in the past. But his lack of energy, his insistance on pace, misplaying his players, and refusing to teach/make players accountable on defense made him a DISASTER for the Kings. The next coach that Vlade hires has got to be the (almost) perfect coach to instill a TEAM spirit, teach defense, hold all players accountable and protect their backs, for us to utilize the talent we have on the team now and whatever players Vlade picks up for us.

And to quote Lily Tomlin: "And That's The Truth" IMHO.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I wish these guys would understand that there is a narrative to be upheld and they need to stop contradicting it with their silly observations from inside or pesky facts. The story is that the locker room was a mess, Cousins is a mess and no one wants to play with him. I hate it when the actors forget their scripts.

Last edited:
I wish these guys would understand that there is narrative to be upheld and stop contradicting it with their silly observations from inside or pesky facts. The story is that the locker room was a mess, Cousins is a mess and no one wants to play with him. I hate it when the actors forget their scripts.
Couldn't be less accurate.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The thing is...yes.

And another of the small remaining handful of players who could possibly have undertaken Ailene's alleged stealth missions to Vlade to complain about Cuz bites the dust.

However, I remember when this was happening, back in late preseason, and Karl made a statement along the lines of he actually had too many guys who all thought they should play, and good problem blah blah. But wasn't George at least a little bit right? Where were Caron's 15-17min supposed to come from? Omri?