Can we please talk Giants?

I don't want to bother getting all into a Giants forum, and there are probably plenty of Giants fans here, in this very well run and civilized yet passionate and opinionated group.

So... let's talk Giants!

Who'd a thunk they'd be second in the majors in HRs at this point? Morse is turning out to be a hell of signing! Posey's heating up too.

I'm hoping they can win the division in May/June, rather than winning it the last month like they usually do. Quite a hot streak they're on right now. As usual, a lack of ESPN acknowledgement. Hottest team in baseball imo right now.... that win last night against the Pirates was epic.

That's funny...I was just thinking before I logged on today that I needed to start a Giants thread.

The game last night was great. Stayed up until 12:30 am out here on the east coast to watch it. I may actually go to the day game tomorrow in Pittsburgh seeing as how close I am here in Morgantown.

I've been very happy with Morse so far, guy has been straight up raking. The crazy thing is the offense can be better. Both Pablo, and Pence have started slow, though Pence is starting to pick it up. With Scutaro back in the mix (not sure if he will ever get back to 100%) offense can be even better. If Hudson can keep it up, we have a decent starting staff and our bullpen is lights out. The West is going to be tough though, Dodgers will be there, the Rockies are better than people think and San Diego will be around .500 or better all year. I'm just hoping the every other year world series thing keeps going.

Watching them play as of late as been nothing but spectacular. They're dominating!!! Pitching is solid, hitting is amazing!!!! Best team in baseball????????

Watching them play as of late as been nothing but spectacular. They're dominating!!! Pitching is solid, hitting is amazing!!!! Best team in baseball????????
Still mostly buried and unnoticed by ESPN. Not surprised though, and frankly I don't give a damn. They have been a joy to watch and they're doing a number on the AL central thus far. I believe they've swept both the Indians and now the Twins. As long as we keep beating the Dodgers the way they have thus far this year I'm a happy Giants fan :D.

Giants keep on rolling. Taking 3 of 4 from the Cardinals in St. Louis is always good. Hudson has been amazing. So glad we signed that guy. Next up....the Reds. Let's keep this thing going, HUM BABY!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Alright Giants fans, Imma let you finish, but I just wanted to point out that it's the team across the bay which owns a +115 run differential one third of the way into the season, scored more runs than those cheaters in Colorado, and has the best team ERA in the majors. :)

Seriously though, this is a great season for Bay Area baseball fans. As always, I'm looking forward to that Battle of the Bay rematch!

Alright Giants fans, Imma let you finish, but I just wanted to point out that it's the team across the bay which owns a +115 run differential one third of the way into the season, scored more runs than those cheaters in Colorado, and has the best team ERA in the majors. :)

Seriously though, this is a great season for Bay Area baseball fans. As always, I'm looking forward to that Battle of the Bay rematch!
But yet, that team across the bay has a worse record than the Giants...

A's are playing great, btw, I am actually enjoying the success both clubs are having right now. I'd love to see a Bay Series....

PS: When the Gigantes aren't doing well, I root for the A's to do well.....BUT I will always be a Gigantes fan first.....

hrdboild

Staff member
But yet, that team across the bay has a worse record than the Giants...
This is true... but you can trace half of our losses directly to the bullpen and that's fixable. We've got the closer situation nailed down now (Jim Johnson and his 1.95 WHIP is out, Sean Doolittle has taken over and he's got 38 Ks and just 1 BB this season) and two elite relievers are coming off the DL this month (righty Ryan Cook and lefty Eric O'Flaherty). Our starting rotation is incredible so far (four starters have sub 3 ERAs) and Josh Donaldson is tied with Tulowitzki for the best WAR in the majors. But I was just teasing a little bit with the Kanye thing. My dad is a big Giants fan, so I'm always happy to see them doing well. I'm always rooting for the Giants to win unless they're playing the A's.

PS - Tim Hudson has always been a baller. It's time for him to win his first Cy Young award.

This is true... but you can trace half of our losses directly to the bullpen and that's fixable. We've got the closer situation nailed down now (Jim Johnson and his 1.95 WHIP is out, Sean Doolittle has taken over and he's got 38 Ks and just 1 BB this season) and two elite relievers are coming off the DL this month (righty Ryan Cook and lefty Eric O'Flaherty). Our starting rotation is incredible so far (four starters have sub 3 ERAs) and Josh Donaldson is tied with Tulowitzki for the best WAR in the majors. But I was just teasing a little bit with the Kanye thing. My dad is a big Giants fan, so I'm always happy to see them doing well. I'm always rooting for the Giants to win unless they're playing the A's.

PS - Tim Hudson has always been a baller. It's time for him to win his first Cy Young award.
Good points...A's can be deadly if they play in October, which they should end up doing...I am just stoked to see my Gigantes play so well cuz no one saw them doing so.....so much for them Doyers.....

hrdboild

Staff member
Well I'm certainly going to do my best to forget everything that happened this season for the A's. At times it felt like "1001 New and Fascinating Ways to Lose a Baseball Game". Hard to remember all of them, there were so many in August and September. Somehow we compressed every game 5 playoff nightmare of the last decade and one-upped all of them, every night, for a month and a half. But this last game was the cherry on top. A game sequence that featured 7 Stolen Bases off the replacement catcher, an outfield collision "triple" in the bottom of the 12th immediately after another injury replacement, a swinging bunt scoring the runner from 3rd, a dropped pitch-out putting the winning run in scoring position, and a slap double down the line to win it (that Donaldson snares 9 out of 10 times in the regular season). Good grief, I don't think I want to watch baseball ever again. Here's to long off-seasons and short memories.

Hope you guys have better luck this year than we've had.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I know this is a Giants thread but since there is no MLB thread and this doesn't warrant a thread, how about the KC Royals making it into the postseason for the first time in three decades! It's good to see teams like the A's and Royal's being respectable after so many long years of misery. Now I'm still waiting to see if the Chicago Cubs are ever going to be in the postseason again, I'm wondering how long their drought is...

What a wild game in LA. Who would have predicted so many runs in a game with Kershaw and Wainwright? Anyway, go Cards but more importantly...GO GIANTS! I don't really care about the AL, but it would be cool to see KC and Baltimore move on. Royals are a fun group to watch, seem to have good energy, It was impressive the way they fought back against the A's.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I tuned in just to check the score. It was the bottom of the 13th. I didn't dare leave. I'm not really a baseball fan but I didn't want to jinx the Giants since they were my Dad's favorite team. :)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
My wife has a lot of relatives in Missouri and we also like seeing the Cards win. Unfortunately, it seems that recently the Cards and Giants are good at the same time and I hate having to see them compete in the PO - would much rather have one or the other to support. That said - Go Giants!!!

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Got a call from my in-laws last night - looks like my son (who has Tuesday off from school) is going with them to the Giants game that day. I'm going to be in southern CA working, so I can't join them, unfortunately.

Got a call from my in-laws last night - looks like my son (who has Tuesday off from school) is going with them to the Giants game that day. I'm going to be in southern CA working, so I can't join them, unfortunately.
What a great experience for your son! I've taken in many a regular season game at ATT, but never had the chance to see a playoff game. From watching on TV, the engery in the stadium is palpable. Go Giants!