Cable deal blacked out in Tracy, Modesto

sacbee

Cable deal blacked out in Tracy, Modesto

By Clint Swett -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Thursday, November 4, 2004

Comcast's new regional sports network got off to a rocky start Tuesday night when the NBA ordered a blackout of the Kings-Dallas Mavericks game in Modesto and Tracy.

The blackout order came late in the afternoon, apparently because of concern that Modesto and Tracy are considered an NBA cable TV market controlled by the Golden State Warriors.

And it marred the debut of Comcast's highly touted SportsNet West, a 24-hour regional cable sports network with 52 Kings games as its crown jewel.

The order came as a surprise to Comcast, said Susan Gonzales, spokeswoman for the new network.

The NBA ordered the blackout in 12 ZIP codes that cover Tracy and Modesto. ZIP codes are often used by cable and satellite broadcasters to define areas in which they can show regional sports programming.

Over-the-air broadcasts, such as Wednesday night's game on KXTV-Channel 10 between the Kings and San Antonio Spurs, don't face such restrictions. Kings games scheduled for ESPN and TNT cable broadcast also wouldn't be affected.

"It was our understanding that we were cleared to air the Kings game (Tuesday) night in all ZIP codes," Gonzales said. "Then we were notified there were some issues regarding NBA rules."

Gonzales couldn't say how many subscribers were blacked out.

She said Comcast executives were talking with the NBA to address the issue.

NBA spokesman Mike Bass declined to comment on the reason for the blackout.

"We are looking into the situation. We are gathering information and working to resolve the issue," he wrote in an e-mail.

Although Modesto might be Warriors territory when it comes to cable blackout rules, the Kings have become local favorites, said Tony Arnebeck, owner of the Sidelines Pub & Grill, a Modesto sports bar.

"When the Kings are on, we're over (our seating) capacity, and when the Kings and Lakers are playing, it's huge," he said.

If the blackout lingers, it would anger not only Comcast customers in Modesto and Tracy but could hamper the efforts by Maloof Sports and Entertainment to extend the reach of the Kings down the Central Valley.

Maloof officials couldn't be reached for comment, but Gonzales said not televising games to Tracy and Modesto doesn't violate terms of the Maloof-Comcast contract.

Even as the parties sought to sort out the blackout rules, Comcast continued to negotiate with cable and satellite providers seeking to buy rights to the SportsNet West programming.

Satellite carrier Dish Network and Charter Communications, which serves West Sacramento and Dixon, were thought to be close to a deal, but none was announced.

Gonzales said Comcast also was negotiating with DirecTV, the nation's biggest satellite carrier.

Some customers were becoming nervous about missing games.

Arnie Golub, a professor at Sacramento State, said he would switch from DirecTV to Comcast if the parties don't reach an agreement soon.

"It's important to see the Kings. It's the only reason I would switch," he said.

Dish Network customer Jane Crisch of Antelope also is ready to jump to Comcast if no deal comes soon. "We really like Dish, but if I have to, I will switch to Comcast," she said. "I've already missed one game."

Strange...my sister's friend was able to see the Kings-Mavericks game and he has satellite (from Modesto).

I used to have Comcast and it is Warriors territory. We never got to watch any Kings games unless it was on News10 or national TV. I was wondering about this when I heard that Comcast picked up Kings games and it'll be shown from Chico to Fresno because in Modesto, that mean Kings may overlap Warriors. It's a heartbreaker that we live only an hour south of Sacramento and don't get any Kings while cities like Fresno gets them.

Twix...
It may heve been 'cause there has been a leagus pass free preview this week. :) Last nights' game , although on news 10 was also available on L.P.
I hope it turns out good for you.