Buddy Hield in the 3-point shooting contest?

Is Buddy Hield good enough to go to the 3-point shooting contest?

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'll be honest. I'm not sold on Buddy Buckets being good enough to go. I'm curious as to what the rest of you think? Very simple question with an up or down answer.

I am a bit like you. I am not convinced that he is there yet. The issue I have with Buddy is that he is either going to hit everything or miss everything badly. Not sure how to explain it properly but that's the feeling I get with Buddy.

Another off-season or two and i think eh might be good enough to go and win it.

Agree. I do want him there to add to our representation.

I dont think he's there yet and i do worry about his mental head space if he doesn't show well but if he does then that could be exactly what he needs to take it to the next level.

Buddy needs to back himself more and just be more confident. He can shoot and if given the chance may well take it by the horns and show all what we (and Vivek especially) know (and hope) he can do on a consistent high level basis.

Last edited:
I'll be honest. I'm not sold on Buddy Buckets being good enough to go. I'm curious as to what the rest of you think? Very simple question with an up or down answer.
Here is the top 20 per Basketball Reference dot com. Buddy is at #12 tied with Nikola Mirotic.

1. Klay Thompson • GSW .454
2. George Hill • SAC .452
3. Reggie Bullock • DET .451
4. Joe Ingles • UTA .441
5. Jayson Tatum • BOS .438
6. Marvin Williams • CHO .434
7. Darren Collison • IND .432
8. Al Horford • BOS .431
9. C.J. McCollum • POR .430
10. Tony Snell • MIL .430
11. Dirk Nowitzki • DAL .429
12. Buddy Hield • SAC .429
Nikola Mirotic • CHI .429
14. Courtney Lee • NYK .428
15. Kyle Korver • CLE .427
16. Trey Lyles • DEN .427
17. E'Twaun Moore • NOP .426
18. Stephen Curry • GSW .425
19. Otto Porter • WAS .423
20. Paul George • OKC .422

Link--> https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2018_leaders.html

George Hill is number 2, Maybe he should be in the 3 pt contest:p

IMO, this really should be a no brainer for several reasons.

Buddy most definitely should be in the competition.

If it wasn’t enough that he’s widely known for his deep shooting, consider this:

Buddy has made 96 3-pt shots so far this season. Among all players that have made at least 96 or more, only 3 players currently top Buddy’s .429 percentage. Just 3.

Joe Ingles
C.J. McCollum
Klay Thompson

That’s it.

For guys that shoot 5 or more per game, he’s among the best percentage wise.

He should be in the competition. He’s already gonna be there for the Rising Stars game anyway.

If it wasn’t enough that he’s widely known for his deep shooting, consider this:

Buddy has made 96 3-pt shots so far this season. Among all players that have made at least 96 or more, only 3 players currently top Buddy’s .429 percentage. Just 3.

Joe Ingles
C.J. McCollum
Klay Thompson

That’s it.

He should be in the competition. He’s already gonna be there for the Rising Stars game anyway.
Yeah I'm really not sure why the people above said no. He's an elite 3pt shooter... why shoudn't he be in it? Because he's not as good as a all-around player? That makes no sense in a 3pt shooting contest.

Joe Ingles
C.J. McCollum
Klay Thompson

That’s it.

This settles it, Buddy needs more 3 pt shot attempts.:) Same goes for Bogie, Jackson, Fox and Skal.

He has one of the quickest releases in the league and is not necessarily streaky but can get on a roll. Of course he should be going. Paul George? Really? He isn't a shooter.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here is the top 20 per Basketball Reference dot com. Buddy is at #12 tied with Nikola Mirotic.

1. Klay Thompson • GSW .454
2. George Hill • SAC .452
3. Reggie Bullock • DET .451
4. Joe Ingles • UTA .441
5. Jayson Tatum • BOS .438
6. Marvin Williams • CHO .434
7. Darren Collison • IND .432
8. Al Horford • BOS .431
9. C.J. McCollum • POR .430
10. Tony Snell • MIL .430
11. Dirk Nowitzki • DAL .429
12. Buddy Hield • SAC .429
Nikola Mirotic • CHI .429
14. Courtney Lee • NYK .428
15. Kyle Korver • CLE .427
16. Trey Lyles • DEN .427
17. E'Twaun Moore • NOP .426
18. Stephen Curry • GSW .425
19. Otto Porter • WAS .423
20. Paul George • OKC .422

Link--> https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2018_leaders.html
George Hill is number 2, Maybe he should be in the 3 pt contest:p
I'd be interested in seeing the attempt/success rate. I cannot believe, for example, that Buddy Buckets is better than Steph Curry.

I'd be interested in seeing the attempt/success rate. I cannot believe, for example, that Buddy Buckets is better than Steph Curry.
Well it is also when you make the 3 point shots. Seems like Curry makes them when they are needed at clutch moments. Not saying Buddy won't just that Curry does and has been at it longer in the NBA.

3-Pt Field Goal Attempts
1. James Harden • HOU 455
2. Eric Gordon • HOU 435
3. Wayne Ellington • MIA 381
4. Stephen Curry • GSW 365
5. Lou Williams • LAC 364
6. Paul George • OKC 363
7. Klay Thompson • GSW 361
8. Kyle Lowry • TOR 356
Kemba Walker • CHO 356
10. Damian Lillard • POR 355
11. Bradley Beal • WAS 335
12. Robert Covington • PHI 326
13. Justin Holiday • CHI 325
Wesley Matthews • DAL 325
15. Kyrie Irving • BOS 323
16. Allen Crabbe • BRK 316
17. Trevor Ariza • HOU 313
Donovan Mitchell • UTA 313
19. Carmelo Anthony • OKC 306
20. Lauri Markkanen • CHI 299

3-Pt Field Goals
1. James Harden • HOU 176
2. Klay Thompson • GSW 164
3. Stephen Curry • GSW 155
Paul George • OKC 155
5. Wayne Ellington • MIA 153
6. Eric Gordon • HOU 146
7. Lou Williams • LAC 142
8. Kyle Lowry • TOR 137
9. Damian Lillard • POR 132
10. Kemba Walker • CHO 131
11. Kyrie Irving • BOS 130
12. C.J. McCollum • POR 127
13. Bradley Beal • WAS 126
14. Robert Covington • PHI 124
15. Justin Holiday • CHI 122
Wesley Matthews • DAL 122
17. Trevor Ariza • HOU 120
Troy Daniels • PHO 120
19. Joe Ingles • UTA 119
20. Victor Oladipo • IND 114

Percentage wise, he is. But Steph’s volume is nearly twice as much (he missed a bunch of games too).

Honestly, Steph’s percentage shouldn’t be compared to most players because his attempts are typically of higher difficulty. Not only is he often FAR beyond the line, but he draws so much more attention on his attempts than anyone else. Once he crosses half court, defenses are much more willing to contest him than anyone else.

That said, Buddy is right up there with the best considering volume. There are lots of players shooting a lot more than him (Boogie Cousins has a lot more attempts) but only 3 with better percentages. But considering how many he has taken, his .429 is phenomenal.

Buddy needs to raise his profile to get in. The weekend is one big popularity contest.

Shoot more kid and let your numbers speak for themselves

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Percentage wise, he is. But Steph’s volume is nearly twice as much (he missed a bunch of games too).

Honestly, Steph’s percentage shouldn’t be compared to most players because his attempts are typically of higher difficulty. Not only is he often FAR beyond the line, but he draws so much more attention on his attempts than anyone else. Once he crosses half court, defenses are much more willing to contest him than anyone else.

That said, Buddy is right up there with the best considering volume. There are lots of players shooting a lot more than him (Boogie Cousins has a lot more attempts) but only 3 with better percentages. But considering how many he has taken, his .429 is phenomenal.
Yeah "volume" is what I was reaching for. King Baller answered my question (as poorly as it was worded) with his two posts. :)

Hield isn't even that much of a streak shooter. I think we're just so used to him making three's that it seems like he's inconsistent if he misses a few in a row.
Exactly. Anybody shooting at a .429 clip with 96 made isn't streak shooting --- unless he missed his first 128 then made 96 in a row :rolleyes: