Boston perspective on Rondo trade rumors

Hey Guys Im new to the site I live in the Boston area and wanted to see what you guys think of Rondo, we are hearing a little bit about a possible trade. For 1 Rondo is an awesome player. He looks good coming off his injury and has no minutes restrictions, the guy is a beast. He is a fierce competitor, a proven winner and looks to have worked on his shot A LOT while rehabbing from his injury. He plays great defense and instantly makes everyone he is playing with better. Unfortunately though he is a STUD we have to move on from him while we do a total rebuild. I think he is a perfect fit with Gay who he is friends with outside of basketball and his Kentucky brother Cousins. Cousins and Rondo would definitely have some swag playing together.

The Celtics would need IT (who Im not crazy about) McLemore and a first rounder this year. How can we get your first rounder? I would love to get this deal done but think this seasons pick is the piece Boston covets most. A deal I guess could get done in the summer but I think Boston will move him at the deadline. How do we get a deal done.

Gary

All-Star
We had one of your reporters on today talking about the Celtic game, and he said that Rondo would be a great addition as long as he's not "the man" or the leader on a team. I assume that's why they would be rebuilding without him since he doesn't want to be looked at as a leader? I believe Rondo would fit in here. We have talked about him at length here and most of us wouldn't mind paying him big $$ to keep him here.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
There are some pretty big Rondo fans on here (myself included), but not everyone thinks he's the answer for us. It's difficult to give up on McLemore at this point when Rondo is going to be a free agent in a year anyway. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but it does mean at the very least that the extra pick is not going to be top 5. We can't trade the pick anyway until after the draft lotto because we already have a pick promised to Chicago (from Cleveland by way of the Luol Deng trade) with top 12 protection this season. If that pick ends up being low enough (in the 8-12 range sounds about right) it's possible our GM decides to throw the pick into a trade for Rondo. But IT has to be traded by the deadline or he won't be eligible for a deal until free agency reopens in July. If Boston really wants IT, it might make more sense for them to wait and do a sign-and-trade in the off-season with McLemore included.

Without knowing what Rudy Gay plans to do in the off-season, I would guess that a deadline deal for Rondo this month is unlikely on our end. What I can see happening though is IT getting traded in a smaller deal for some asset of moderate value on a contending team with depth issues and then once the draft lottery and Rudy Gay option situations become clearer, perhaps Rondo becomes a trade target over the summer. I don't have any inside connections or anything, that's just the situation as I see it.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Hey Guys Im new to the site I live in the Boston area and wanted to see what you guys think of Rondo, we are hearing a little bit about a possible trade. For 1 Rondo is an awesome player. He looks good coming off his injury and has no minutes restrictions, the guy is a beast. He is a fierce competitor, a proven winner and looks to have worked on his shot A LOT while rehabbing from his injury. He plays great defense and instantly makes everyone he is playing with better. Unfortunately though he is a STUD we have to move on from him while we do a total rebuild. I think he is a perfect fit with Gay who he is friends with outside of basketball and his Kentucky brother Cousins. Cousins and Rondo would definitely have some swag playing together.

The Celtics would need IT (who Im not crazy about) McLemore and a first rounder this year. How can we get your first rounder? I would love to get this deal done but think this seasons pick is the piece Boston covets most. A deal I guess could get done in the summer but I think Boston will move him at the deadline. How do we get a deal done.
The only way to get salaries to match would be Boston to take Thornton or Landry. Thorntons contract is only one more year. Problem there is we can't give both Thornton and McLemore as it leaves us with no SG. I don't think Boston would want the contract of Landry. I would say it comes down to either/or with McLemore and first rounder. Although the first rounder seems to be locked up. I think there are ways around it.

Do you think Thomas, Thornton, and first rounder gets it done? A salary has to to Boston one way or another.

Well the kings can't trade their 1st rounder yet...until draft day if it's in the top 12(most likely will be). I think we can get a deal done if you accept 1 of our bad contracts or bad players. I don't like including Ben in this deal..but if I have to

I'd trade:
IT, Ben, Landry, Outlaw, and a 1st rounder for Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley, and a 2nd rounder.

I see this unlikely because I don't think anyone is ready to let Ben go just yet and IT might surprisingly be a part of our future.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well that list of requirements is pretty much what I've been pitching for several months now, although its noteworthy that Derrick Williams has also gotten past his post-trade trade restriction if we wanted to go that route.

As for clearing the restrictions on trading that pick, the deal is that we would have to get another pick from somebody, first round, but it could be much later in the round. Then we're allowed to move ours.

And P.S. in order to match salaries, you would have to end up with a guy like Thornton.

Williams would work instead of Thorton too. Celtics have the worst of the Hawks/NJ pick too but I cant see them including that in the deal too for the right to the SAC pick. There has been hope we can trade Jeff Green for Okafor and the Pacers pick that Phoenix owns that would be easier to give up since it should be late

fanop no way that gets it done, Bradley is a legit player
to reply to specific comments there's a reply button near the Like button. I have a feeling that Boston may lose Bradley in FA to a team willing to give him money. However, I don't think his price will be all that high. Bradley is a good defender, but he's also a 6'2 sg..

to reply to specific comments there's a reply button near the Like button. I have a feeling that Boston may lose Bradley in FA to a team willing to give him money. However, I don't think his price will be all that high. Bradley is a good defender, but he's also a 6'2 sg..
Thanks fanop! They have options with Bradley. They could move him at the deadline, sign him as a restricted FA or do a sign and trade in the offseason. Bradley is best coming off the bench on a contending team.

If roles were reversed? Would you trade Thomas, McLemore, and top 10 pick in the draft plus another for salary purposes for Rondo?
If I was in the Kings position I would. If I'm correct IT is a FA after this season so really you are giving up an unproven rookie in McLemore (I havent really watched him this season) and a first rounder. Seems fair all around, you would have 1 1/2 years to convince Rondo to resign. If the Kings become good next season I could see Rondo signing a long term deal. Gay Rondo and Cousins is a good foundation IMO

No disrespect but the last time the Kings where in the playoffs was 05-06 and they lost in the first round. Rondo makes Cousins and Gay better then they are today. I would think trading for Rondo would be a step in the right direction to becoming a good team. You guys know how hard it is to hit on a draft pick and when you do they take awhile to develop. Rondo is proven, winning teams attracts good FA roll players too

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
P.S. If you really don't think Ainge wants our scoring PG, I'm sure we would cheerfully do it for Mac and the pick + filler, and keep It around as a 6th man.,

First of all, welcome to the forum.....While I would love to have Rajon Rondo on my beloved Kings, I am not quite sold on the prospects of potentially including Ben McLemore in the deal, as I see a lot of potential in the young kid.

First of all, welcome to the forum.....While I would love to have Rajon Rondo on my beloved Kings, I am not quite sold on the prospects of potentially including Ben McLemore in the deal, as I see a lot of potential in the young kid.
Thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately good players don't come cheap. Im on board with the trade but it's funny back here in Boston people don't think it's enough for Rondo. Rondo just came back and you can instantly see guys and the team playing better. Rondo is 27, a champion, 4x all star and made the defensive team 4x. That's a pretty special player

Thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately good players don't come cheap. Im on board with the trade but it's funny back here in Boston people don't think it's enough for Rondo. Rondo just came back and you can instantly see guys and the team playing better. Rondo is 27, a champion, 4x all star and made the defensive team 4x. That's a pretty special player
While I agree with your statement/argument, I, personally, would be very hesitant to give up a guy like Ben McLemore...Maybe a package deal involving IT/MT/JT/Jimmer, along with a few extras (cash, draft picks, etc.) would be ok....

I would give up any combination of IT, Thorton, Ben, DWill, even all 4. But not this year's pick (which I know Boston would want and it is not tradable at this moment as I recall).

I think the pick is going to be the problematic part for us. I don't think we will find a way to trade the pick and IT as the timings are all out.

Personally, I think we would be looking at other options like taking on the Gerald Wallace contract as well. I am not sure if the team is willing to go into the luxury tax, but I see no other reasonable way of doing it and Ainge might well be open to trading Rondo for IT and maybe McLemore and some other cap fillers (expirings or shorter deals than Wallace 's) instead of the draft pick. I am sure his preference would be to get the picks but if his best offer is from a team that makes the Wallace salary vanish, I think he would also be open to that).

I still think we are a better chance to get someone like Lowry instead of Rondo. However, Rondo would be perfect. Rondo-Gay-Cousins would be a legitimately good trio to build around.

I would give up any combination of IT, Thorton, Ben, DWill, even all 4. But not this year's pick (which I know Boston would want and it is not tradable at this moment as I recall).
IMO the special players in this draft are Embiid, Parker and Wiggins. The next tier is good too just maybe not superstars. I dont think the Kings end up with a top 3 pick

Entity

Hall of Famer
P.S. If you really don't think Ainge wants our scoring PG, I'm sure we would cheerfully do it for Mac and the pick + filler, and keep It around as a 6th man.,
I would love that as well. But I think we have crossed the threshold in which Isaiah would hang around here as a bench player.

What would you want from the kings ideally? Unrelated q, were you also pushing for a DeMarcus Cousins trade last year? I remember many articles where it stated Jarred Sullinger and Fab Melo for Cousins...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
While I agree with your statement/argument, I, personally, would be very hesitant to give up a guy like Ben McLemore...Maybe a package deal involving IT/MT/JT/Jimmer, along with a few extras (cash, draft picks, etc.) would be ok....
If we're gonna get Rondo, we're gonna have to give something of potential high value...and what the OP is saying is that they'd like to take a chance on Ben along with a draft pick. Danny Ainge is not going to make our lives easy by taking only what we're able to easily part with. :)

I think the pick is going to be the problematic part for us. I don't think we will find a way to trade the pick and IT as the timings are all out.

Personally, I think we would be looking at other options like taking on the Gerald Wallace contract as well. I am not sure if the team is willing to go into the luxury tax, but I see no other reasonable way of doing it and Ainge might well be open to trading Rondo for IT and maybe McLemore and some other cap fillers (expirings or shorter deals than Wallace 's) instead of the draft pick. I am sure his preference would be to get the picks but if his best offer is from a team that makes the Wallace salary vanish, I think he would also be open to that).

I still think we are a better chance to get someone like Lowry instead of Rondo. However, Rondo would be perfect. Rondo-Gay-Cousins would be a legitimately good trio to build around.
I would agree it would take less to trade for Lowry but he is a FA after this season so he would be a 1/2 season rental. I really like Rondo he would be a perfect fit for the Kings