boozer!

Y

y2kings

boozer...we should try to trade for him. The jazz always seem to be offering booz...he's a good rebounder, defender and a nice compliment player. plus i'm sure they could use brad miller, haha

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
NO!

I prefer for Kings players to be players I can stand, and the only player in the NBA that I have more contempt for than F. Carlos Bam-Boozer is FSM.

I don't know a lot about Boozer, but why not....he averages a double double 14.2 PPG/9.2 RPG in 31 minutes played. Could he come off the bench behind SAR?

Troy said:
I don't know a lot about Boozer, but why not....he averages a double double 14.2 PPG/9.2 RPG in 31 minutes played. Could he come off the bench behind SAR?
That's the problem; you don't know about him. You don't know that he sabatoged an entire franchise by verbally agreeing to sign with them, and then turning around and signing with another team two weeks later.

No, no no no no no no. Never in a million years. We don't want traitors.

Y

y2kings

cleveland tried to get him at a price that was a steal...he was doing them a HUGE favor. The essentially were going to under pay him. Plus the commitment they attempted to have him make was a breach of nba rules

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
y2kings said:
i'd like to see you say no thanks to 40 million dollars....
Oh, don't even go there.

Yep -- hey **** over anyone you need to to get yours right?

Wrong.

You've got people in the world who have honor and are true to their word, and then you've got weasels who are just out for themself. Boozer showed everybody what he was. And then of course compunded it by taking a nice little year off of basketball there for the Jazz. Wonderful personality to add to your team.

I agree that Carlos Boozer doesn't exactly have the best karma, but given that so many people are advocating bringing on board a guy who shot at his girlfriend (Eddie Griffin) and actively support a guy who started a riot (um, you know), it's kind of amazing that people feel that Carlos Boozer somehow crossed the line.

Assault with a deadly weapon? Come right in!

Take more money from another team while your current team was trying to break the rules to re-sign you? We don't want any!

I don't want Boozer because he's overpaid and he's got an injury history. But not because he took more money from another team.

Bricklayer

y2kings said:
cleveland tried to get him at a price that was a steal...he was doing them a HUGE favor. The essentially were going to under pay him. Plus the commitment they attempted to have him make was a breach of nba rules
No, actually Cleveland had an option year on his contract at teh price of $700,000. He lied to them to get them not to exercise it, then screwed them over.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
y2kings said:
That's BS.

There was no breach, other than Boozer's breach of ettiquette, and there certainly would have been no breach of NBA rules; he was still under contract...

Boozer didn't do anybody any favors, except for F. Carlos Boozer. Cleveland still had his rights; he wanted a contract extension that was more than what his contract was set up for him to receive, because he was a second-round pick. The only way that he could have gotten the money that he was asking for was if Cleveland released him to free agency. So Gordon Gund asked him to agree to re-sign with Cleveland if Gund agreed to release him to free agency... Boozer shook Gund's hand and gave him his word...

And then he stole away like a thief in the night. :mad:

F. Carlos Boozer is a treacherous dog.

Bricklayer

nbrans said:
I agree that Carlos Boozer doesn't exactly have the best karma, but given that so many people are advocating bringing on board a guy who shot at his girlfriend (Eddie Griffin) and actively support a guy who started a riot (um, you know), it's kind of amazing that people feel that Carlos Boozer somehow crossed the line.

Assault with a deadly weapon? Come right in!

Take more money from another team while your current team was trying to break the rules to re-sign you? We don't want any!

I don't want Boozer because he's overpaid and he's got an injury history. But not because he took more money from another team.
You know what? I trust the guy who committed assault more. He was out of control. Stupid. Maybe a bad guy, maybe just lost. There is room for growth there. On the other hand, once you intentionally **** over a franchise, with the key word being intentionally, lie, deceive, reveal where your real loyalties lie (i.e. yourself), I don't trust you. In the end, reputation is critical. I know why he did it, understand the temptation, and also understand that that is precisely the time you prove you are a standup guy.

My basic argument against Boozer has always been similar to yours -- big contract, injury-prone, not a defender -- but beyond that is an important backdrop: self-centered and untrustworthy. When you build a team, they need to trust each other and have loyalty to each other if nothing else. I simply do not trust Carlos Boozer to display those traits. If put to the test, he's looking out for #1.

Last edited:
I guess I can see your point that Boozer did not exactly display "team ethics," and that temperament does not bode well for a player making franchise money.

Y

y2kings

I'm not a big fan of what boozer did. But i'm sure his intention wasn't to get out of the team option to test the market.. The jazz approached him after he was let out of the team option...they made the offer. And lets be honest too....look at CWEBB...doyou think he wanted to stay in sacramento soooo bad that he woulda taken a lot less money? NO WAY, CWEBB wanted to get paid. Everyone of these players wants to get paid.

I was watching an interview with Chris Kaman about why he didnt attempt to punch Reggie Evans after that low blow...expecting to hear something like " I dont want to let my team down the playoffs," he uttered "I dont want to lose the pay of 1 game." Money is big for all these players.

I think the point that Bricklayer and Slim are making, which I have come around to seeing is a good one, is that the type of player who would make that kind of choice is a me-first individual to the max, to the point of being duplicitous and, as Bill Simmons has said, stabbing a blind man in the back. Do you really want someone with that much of a me-first attitude on your team? Is that the type of person that is going to make the sacrifices and display the team-focus necessary to be a part of a winning team?

Maybe that was just all "business," but it was pretty bad...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
y2kings said:
I was watching an interview with Chris Kaman about why he didnt attempt to punch Reggie Evans after that low blow...expecting to hear something like " I dont want to let my team down the playoffs," he uttered "I dont want to lose the pay of 1 game." Money is big for all these players.
Uh, no. Get your facts straight:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2428627

"I told [the NBA] in complete detail what happened," Kaman said, according to the Times. "The three refs also knew what happened."

Kaman said he showed restraint in not punching Evans.

"With what we're trying to do, I didn't want to get thrown out," he said, according to the Times. "I thought about it, but I knew what would happen. "One of the refs said he would have knocked [him] out. It was crazy."

Y

y2kings

Warhawk said:
Uh, no. Get your facts straight:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2428627

"I told [the NBA] in complete detail what happened," Kaman said, according to the Times. "The three refs also knew what happened."

Kaman said he showed restraint in not punching Evans.

"With what we're trying to do, I didn't want to get thrown out," he said, according to the Times. "I thought about it, but I knew what would happen. "One of the refs said he would have knocked [him] out. It was crazy."

Just because it isnt in print doesnt mean he didnt say it...that's how all quotes are delivered in the media - they're cut up and the parts they want to use, they use.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
y2kings said:
Just because it isnt in print doesnt mean he didnt say it...that's how all quotes are delivered in the media - they're cut up and the parts they want to use, they use.
And unfortunately a lot of times things are taken out of context, combined, etc.

The POINT is that Kaman could well have said ALL the things. You simply selected the one comment that would reinforce your argument.

To try and deny someone else the right to do the same is just naive.

Y

y2kings

VF21 said:
And unfortunately a lot of times things are taken out of context, combined, etc.

The POINT is that Kaman could well have said ALL the things. You simply selected the one comment that would reinforce your argument.

To try and deny someone else the right to do the same is just naive.
you know, i'm not trying to argue or make a big deal out of this...my point was that players heavily consider money and it's tough to deny that. As Kaman said himself...the first thought about not playing would be that he'd lose out on money. For some reason when i said that Kaman made that statement, that guy finds some quotes about what Kaman said which have no reference to money...i have no idea why he was trying to call me or something, but it was a mook point anyway.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
y2kings said:
you know, i'm not trying to argue or make a big deal out of this...my point was that players heavily consider money and it's tough to deny that. As Kaman said himself...the first thought about not playing would be that he'd lose out on money. For some reason when i said that Kaman made that statement, that guy finds some quotes about what Kaman said which have no reference to money...i have no idea why he was trying to call me or something, but it was a mook point anyway.
No, he was pointing out that there was more than one comment out there by Kaman about the incident. You emphasized the money part; he emphasized the "not good for the team" part. Probably both were correct...

It's not about Warhawk trying to call you (whatever that means). It's about perspective. Quite frankly, I think you're wrong about players thinking heavily about money. From what I've seen, their actions on the court are very rarely motivated by monetary considerations. They're athletes and they're competitors. Off the court and under calms circumstances, yes, they might consider the financial aspects. ON the court, in the heat of the moment, I seriously doubt if any of them stop and think what effect their actions or words might have on their checking accounts.

y2kings said:
i have no idea why he was trying to call me or something, but it was a mook point anyway.
It's actually not a "mook point"... it's a "moo point"... [SIZE=-1]like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo. :D[/SIZE]

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
nbrans said:
I think most people are neutral on Griffin if they even know who he is. Certainly if you were to take a poll in Arco on any given night I'm sure you'd get more shrugs than positive responses. I don't think he's the answer to our problems though.

As for Artest, he didn't start the riot. The cup thrower did. Artest was the NBA's official scapegoat but Artest isn't serving jail time for it. The cup thrower is.

As for Boozer, enough's already been said. Utah's involvement in this is also pretty disgraceful though.

pdxKingsFan said:
I think most people are neutral on Griffin if they even know who he is. Certainly if you were to take a poll in Arco on any given night I'm sure you'd get more shrugs than positive responses. I don't think he's the answer to our problems though.

As for Artest, he didn't start the riot. The cup thrower did. Artest was the NBA's official scapegoat but Artest isn't serving jail time for it. The cup thrower is.

As for Boozer, enough's already been said. Utah's involvement in this is also pretty disgraceful though.
How much time is the cup thrower doing? I'm glad he is, if he is. Artest payed over $5M for that incident alone and hurt his earnings in the immediate future, he has a clean slate again after how he has done so good in Sac.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Troy said:
How much time is the cup thrower doing? I'm glad he is, if he is. Artest payed over $5M for that incident alone and hurt his earnings in the immediate future, he has a clean slate again after how he has done so good in Sac.
Only 30 days plus fines and probation and AA. Some other fans got community service time as well:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2006-05-04-comm-service-brawl_x.htm

John Green, the spectator who threw the cup that struck Artest in the chest, was convicted of misdemeanor assault and sentenced Monday to 30 days in jail, two years' probation and a $500 fine by Judge Lisa Asadoorian. Green must also attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and anger-management classes and pay for breath and urine testing.