Bogs - play or rest this summer? (split)

This is precisely how it’s done! The team played their tails off which is what you ALWAYS want to see...tanking or not.

All the youngsters had flashes and played well enough which is what you want to see. Fox had a better game than his stats s suggest. When he develops a consistent jumper he will be a nightmare to guard. He already is impossible to stay in front off.

Fox has had a very good month but Justin Jackson is having himself a pretty darn nice run here. He is showing flashes of being a very good role player in the NBA. He is very solid at everything he does.

Buddy had himself a very energetic game. Some excellent stuff, then some boneheaded mistakes but he can be a pretty productive player on a play off team in time.

WCS’ defence was excellent. He covered KD there in patches and did a pretty darn good job of it.

Bogi also did his thing in patches even though he has obviously hit a wall here.

Play hard, stay in the game for majority of the game, young players show a fair bit and contribute to the teams performance and veterans do their thing. Oh and you get an “honorable” loss to do you lottery chances no harm.

I suspect we will see a lot of games like this one from the team for the rest of the season. Kids are coming along nicely thank you very much! :)
I think Bogi’s learning why so many players take a summer off. It’s a long season. An off season of resting and just working on his step back 3 will be good for him.

He won’t be taking the off-season off if that’s what you are suggesting. He will be playing for the NT! GUARANTEED!
If NT means Serbian National Team I hope your incorrect. After playing Olympics and Eurobasket he needs a summer off to rest and work on specific aspects of his game. I think I already read, taking the summer off is his plan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If NT means Serbian National Team I hope your incorrect. After playing Olympics and Eurobasket he needs a summer off to rest and work on specific aspects of his game. I think I already read, taking the summer off is his plan.
You might want to pay more attention to what Čarolija says in this instance. He is Serbian and has known Bogdan personally for a number of years. :)

You might want to pay more attention to what Čarolija says in this instance. He is Serbian and has known Bogdan personally for a number of years. :)
I understand that fact. It’s why I said I hope you are incorrect and I think I read. The kid hasn’t had a summer off in a long time.

Last edited:
He won’t be taking the off-season off if that’s what you are suggesting. He will be playing for the NT! GUARANTEED!
I understand that fact. It’s why I said I hope you are incorrect and I think I read. The kid hasn’t had a summer off in a long time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I know you don't realize what you're saying but you're basically telling him that you hope one of the best players from his country doesn't play on his national team. I don't think it's for us to say, but that's an entirely different argument. Let's just let it go for now. It's only February. We can have that argument during TDOS (The Dreaded Off-Season). :)

I know you don't realize what you're saying but you're basically telling him that you hope one of the best players from his country doesn't play on his national team. I don't think it's for us to say, but that's an entirely different argument. Let's just let it go for now. It's only February. We can have that argument during TDOS (The Dreaded Off-Season). :)
Perhaps. But my son played in the Olympics for the USA Water Polo team. I have some experience with the issue of balancing professional and national team requirements. No one in any sport can play year around for 3-4 years straight. Obviously it’s Bogdans choice but as his employers Kings should have significant input.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Perhaps. But my son played in the Olympics for the USA Water Polo team. I have some experience with the issue of balancing professional and national team requirements. No one in any sport can play year around for 3-4 years straight. Obviously it’s Bogdans choice but as his employers Kings should have significant input.
And I'm sure THEY will. I'm also pretty sure they will not tell him he cannot play. But, again, this is a topic best taken up after THIS season is over. And in a separate thread. :)

Also, we're gonna be done by April 11. Bogdan's gonna have time to rest.

What I was trying to post in the thread where I quoted Carolija,sactowndog,andVF21 and the server was not letting me was this:

I did see this interview with Bogdanovic on Dec 17th after the Toronto game with local Serbian
station in which he seems to indicate he might take the summer off .
There are some other interesting answers which offer a window into his thinking at that time so I'll attempt a translation here.

On summer plans:

...but generally I'll use this summer to prepare well, because I saw how much more prepared everyone here was,
how much fresher and hungrier for basketball they were... it was pretty hard coming from the
(european) championships...I mean I did come ready and full of confidence, but I was also a little bit exhausted
so it was hard for me to adjust quickly in the training camp and it took me some time to get into rythm but
i'm beginning to come around..."

On difference between NBA and euro basketball:

"its different, for me its really differentt than in Europe, there are a lot of isolation plays, the offensive sets
are generaly different, the ball does not have to move that much, and its not just us, all the teams play like
that..there are also offensive sets where the ball does move too..they are such athletes that they can do anything,
one quick movement and you can fall out defensively which can result in an easy basket...the game is generaly faster...over here, when you are free even for a moment you have to shoot, they force you to, and that's how it is in practice as well..."

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Former Serbian Olympic Committee Chairman Vlade's our GM. He's playing.

What I was trying to post in the thread where I quoted Carolija,sactowndog,andVF21 and the server was not letting me was this:

I did see this interview with Bogdanovic on Dec 17th after the Toronto game with local Serbian
station in which he seems to indicate he might take the summer off .
There are some other interesting answers which offer a window into his thinking at that time so I'll attempt a translation here.

On summer plans:

...but generally I'll use this summer to prepare well, because I saw how much more prepared everyone here was,
how much fresher and hungrier for basketball they were... it was pretty hard coming from the
(european) championships...I mean I did come ready and full of confidence, but I was also a little bit exhausted
so it was hard for me to adjust quickly in the training camp and it took me some time to get into rythm but
i'm beginning to come around..."

"its different, for me its really differentt than in Europe, there are a lot of isolation plays, the offensive sets
are generaly different, the ball does not have to move that much, and its not just us, all the teams play like
that..there are also offensive sets where the ball does move too..they are such athletes that they can do anything,
one quick movement and you can fall out defensively which can result in an easy basket...the game is generaly faster...over here, when you are free even for a moment you have to shoot, they force you to, and that's how it is in practice as well..."
Thanks for posting the interview. We all want Bogdan to do well. And Bogdan is a grown man and will make up his own mind.

That being said I will still be concerned if he chooses to play because other country obligations will arise in future summers that will be harder to take off. He won’t miss the Olympics as an example. At some point you have to let your body rest.

I find this quote the most interesting. Clearly it’s an area of growth for Bogi who regularly passes up shots he should have taken trying to find a better shot that never comes.

As one of our better shooters it will be interesting how he adjusts his game next year with an off season of prep. My guess is you will see his PPG increase as he takes shots in tighter windows. To be a top tier team the Kings need Bogi to be a 19-21 points per game scorer and I think he is fully capable of it.

Thanks for posting the interview. We all want Bogdan to do well. And Bogdan is a grown man and will make up his own mind.

That being said I will still be concerned if he chooses to play because other country obligations will arise in future summers that will be harder to take off. He won’t miss the Olympics as an example. At some point you have to let your body rest.
Yes, the summer to take off is this one. Due to format/scheduling changes there are no competitions this summer, just qualifying. 2019 is World Championships and 2020 is Olympics and I have a hard time seeing him take that off.

I find this quote the most interesting. Clearly it’s an area of growth for Bogi who regularly passes up shots he should have taken trying to find a better shot that never comes.

As one of our better shooters it will be interesting how he adjusts his game next year with an off season of prep. My guess is you will see his PPG increase as he takes shots in tighter windows. To be a top tier team the Kings need Bogi to be a 19-21 points per game scorer and I think he is fully capable of it.
I think he is still in the frontal cortex phase of learning to take the shot quickly, that is I think he is still consciously processing information trying to decide when to "shoot quickly" which sometimes results in shots that look rushed/off rhythm/forced affecting his percentage. You can even see some wild misses. Kinda what Skal is going through trying to decide where to position himself defensively. Once this becomes more instinctual I think you will see better percentage ...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
hope that does not happen :). but, yeah, that was a very unlucky set of events/calls in that last round of qualifying. that said, they should have secured a spot much earlier.
I think the reality for Euro guys is that the region is more competitive and they can't afford to let all their NBA guys sit the way the US could send a team of fringe players to get through qualifying. If Bogs was the only Serb in the NBA he might have some leeway to say I need to rest to be fresh the next two years. As it stands if the other Serbs in the Association are playing every summer with their national team he would be expected to do so as well.

I think the reality for Euro guys is that the region is more competitive and they can't afford to let all their NBA guys sit the way the US could send a team of fringe players to get through qualifying. If Bogs was the only Serb in the NBA he might have some leeway to say I need to rest to be fresh the next two years. As it stands if the other Serbs in the Association are playing every summer with their national team he would be expected to do so as well.
this is definitely true, but if he does not take this summer off, he is not taking any summers off. Jokic and Bijelica took last summer off so hopefully there is understanding for this in the NT.

hope that does not happen :). but, yeah, that was a very unlucky set of events/calls in that last round of qualifying. that said, they should have secured a spot much earlier.
Their is a relatively small chance of Serbia not qualifying. A closer example would be Italy not qualifying for the World Cup not the US.

Except they aren’t. They are resting. Quite a few of them sat out Eurobasket. Bogs didn’t. I’m pretty sure Teodosic and Jokic can handle Luxemberg on their own.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He is playing regardless on whether we like it or not. He is 25 years old and while he could use some rest, he isn't in a point in his career where he has to do so. I'd want to play for my national team too.

We are possibly seeing the evidence for his lack of rest the last few weeks

Naturally Kings fans don’t want to see that in the future, if it’s hampering his play, and want him rested

He is playing regardless on whether we like it or not. He is 25 years old and while he could use some rest, he isn't in a point in his career where he has to do so. I'd want to play for my national team too.
He’s played for his national team. He played in the Olympics, Worlds and Eurobasket. While 25 year old international athletes think they are super human they aren’t. They have to learn to ration the demands in their time and give their body adequate rest.

Luckily Bogdan has Vlade as a mentor. Vlade was President of the Serbia Olympic committee but isn’t any longer.

Bogie will need some rest this summer. If he can find some time for rest and (still) play for his country, that's fine. But otherwise I would expect him to hit another wall next year - just when we want to be pushing past the lottery bound teams. There are three things that are accomplished by resting during the summer (for an NBA player). One, he gets a chance to heal his body and mind and be better prepared for the next season. Two, he gets a chance to work on areas of his game (or body) that need attention. Three, he reduces the chances of an injury or a chronic injury that will nag him throughout the season.
I'm not suggesting he shouldn't play for his national team. I'm just saying there's a price to be paid for it.

With Jokic and Teodosic taking last summer off what is the big deal if Bogie does the same this coming summer? Not to mention all of the NBA players that did not play last summer.