Bogi's Slump

What is really hurting the Kings right now is Bogi's shooting woes. He is a phenomenal player on pretty much both ends but right now his shooting is abysmal. If he was even 7% better at shooting his 3s the Kings would be 3-4 games better. What is up with his shot? Is it really the lingering toe issue? Does he have a shoulder injury? I am not sure what is going on with him but his numbers percentage wise are not good for the type of player he projected as from last season. Thoughts?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
for one, he's taking more difficult shots so that will drop his shooting percentage. two, he is missing a lot of makeable shots at the same time, he is what he is to be honest. He is a streaky shooter

Bogdan and Barnes are killing us out there. It's like playing with only 2-3 shooters on the floor at a time when these guys are playing together.

Bogi’s the King I’m most worried about. He isn’t the same player he was last year... I’m afraid this is the new norm for him now that the league knows his game.
I dont think so. He still finds ways to make avenues to success. His real problem has been missing shots in the flow of the game where he is clearly NOT in a rhythm.

Bogi has been off, but Barnes hasn't had a single good shooting game with the Kings yet. Yes his defense is an asset, but if he's not hitting his looks then its offset, or worse.

Bogdan quickly went from our 3rd best player to our 5th best (behind WCS and Bagley). He has not been playing good basketball since he hit the Laker shot. He's become such a streaky player

I love Bogi’s game but I would give him a rest day against the Bucks. Play Brewer at the 3 and Burks at the 2. Alec Burk shoot 37% for the season before coming here and is shooting 00% from 3. Perhaps our guards aren’t getting people the right looks or our posts aren’t kicking the ball out. Odd all our wings are shooting historic lows.

There is something seriously wrong with Bogi and his subpar shooting/decision making/scoring is going to knock us out of the playoff race. I'm pretty upset with his play this season, it has been very underwhelming. Pretty poor sophomore season out of him. 3/14 tonight is REALLY not cutting it.

This is bigger of an issue than anything. I wish he was a bit taller and had a bit more length. He'd probably be making those shots in traffic. Luka plays like him but is a superior athlete and finisher.

He's a weird one for me. He does so many things that are just a luxury to have and are kind of hard to find. His strengths are sorta Ginobili lite but his defects are so glaring.

+PnR wizard
+Can run the offense as a secondary ballhandler.
+Clutch

But....

-Terrible defender, particularly when he plays the 3 but isn't good by any means at the 2.
-Streaky shooter.
-Randomly iso-happy.
-Doesn't really seem to fit with Fox.
-Because of the fit with Fox and the bad defense, he's not really all that viable in a small-ball lineup which every team likes to do these days.

My verdict is that he has to go back to being sixth man, and has to not share the floor with Fox that much. I wouldn't say he's on the outs for me like WCS, but I don't consider him on the same tier as Fox/Buddy/Bagley/Giles and he's the first of the "core" I throw into trade talks or the first I balk at giving an expensive contract to.

I want him gone this offseason. I’m so far off the bandwagon.
Dude when he plays on the 2nd team with Giles he is awesome. Their ability to play off each other is very good. But instead Joeger plays him at small ball 3 with WCS which is a horrible pairing.

The problem is the role the coach has put him in. Joeger got a hair up his a$$ and it’s cost us two critical games, Minnesota and Clippers.

At this point I’m not really sure what Bogie has done to warrant being in the starting five. His penchant for taking bad, dumb shots is only accentuated when he’s taking them in lieu of getting the ball to Fox or Buddy.

I have never seen a guy go from being good to bad like this since that time Marcus Thornton forgot how to play basketball
Great analogy! I was a big MT23 fan

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
can you call it a slump though? the guy is streaky from what I've seen last year and this season thus far. He will give you some nice offensive scoring from time to time on good efficiency and then revert right back to chucking and inefficient. Not saying he can't improve considering his age, there are players who get better even in their late 20s so that's the only hope I will hold out that he isn't a finished product.

At this point I’m not really sure what Bogie has done to warrant being in the starting five. His penchant for taking bad, dumb shots is only accentuated when he’s taking them in lieu of getting the ball to Fox or Buddy.

I have never seen a guy go from being good to bad like this since that time Marcus Thornton forgot how to play basketball
Very well said. It's weird with Bogi because he's not only taking dumb forced shots but he's also missing easier ones that are in rythym.

That's a bad combination. Terrible shot selection with too many open misses. Maybe he's playing slightly hurt still with the toe/foot but a bad toe shouldn't turn someone into a reckless chucker.

With all that said i would still want the ball in his hands at the end of the game if I needed a game winning attempt.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
They need to get him, and his teammates, some uncontested spot shots. So much of the teams offense is predicated on shooting off of screens or in face up one on one situations. The Kings work way too hard to get looks and a relying way to heavily on shots at the rim.

Could not watch the game last night but his stats had WOW written all over it and it was a bad bad WOW.
I have always been on his band wagon since we picked him up but I had said he was one of our main cogs that I would have included in a trade deadline deal to improve our team.

I could come up with many reasons to explain what he’s doing wrong or what’s wrong with him but I feel that all those excuses doesn’t make the low shooting % or almost non existent assists numbers go away.

He needs to play sg coming off the bench and stop trying to play him out of position. We just picked up 2 decent small forwards so move him back to the second team and restrict his numbers to about 25 minutes a game.
Losing Bagley for awhile puts us in a bind but we moved to the 3 guard group before that happened.

I want to see him as more of a spot up shooter and our second option bringing the ball up on the second unit.

can you call it a slump though? the guy is streaky from what I've seen last year and this season thus far. He will give you some nice offensive scoring from time to time on good efficiency and then revert right back to chucking and inefficient. Not saying he can't improve considering his age, there are players who get better even in their late 20s so that's the only hope I will hold out that he isn't a finished product.
Definitely not a slump if he's been this way the entire year. His play is that of an inconsistent bench player who you give extended minutes to when he's on and pull when he's not. Unfortunately Joeger is letting him run around unchecked. Bogi has no incentive to tighten up his game.

I Love Bogi but tbh i dunno if this run and gun free flowing offense is best suited for his playstyle.
I feel like he's more of a structured offense (spurs) type of player.

Last edited: