Bogdan for our pick

Would you trade Bogdan to get our pick back from Boston?

• Total voters

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I doubt there is much of anything on the Kings that the C's would be willing to trade that pick for at the moment. On the Kings side it's also not wise to trade anything for that pick until they see what the next crop of draftee's look like and have an idea of how the teams looks.

I doubt there is much of anything on the Kings that the C's would be willing to trade that pick for at the moment. On the Kings side it's also not wise to trade anything for that pick until they see what the next crop of draftee's look like and have an idea of how the teams looks.
Actually a number of Boston fans really like him and think he would excel under Stevens who puts a premium on basketball IQ.

For the record from the Kings perspective I would not. I have been high on Bogdan and this discussion highlights why...

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1698135&p=65301903#p65301903

I think Bogdan has the ability to develop a lethal step back similar to James Harden. Harden doesn’t have a great first step but he has a lightning fast mind, a tight handle, a great shot, and a relentless desire to perfect his footwork. All attributes that Bogi also possesses. I have watched him work on it and I think he will refine it more this summer.

Actually a number of Boston fans really like him and think he would excel under Stevens who puts a premium on basketball IQ.

For the record from the Kings perspective I would not. I have been high on Bogdan and this discussion highlights why...

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1698135&p=65301903#p65301903

I think Bogdan has the ability to develop a lethal step back similar to James Harden. Harden doesn’t have a great first step but he has a lightning fast mind, a tight handle, a great shot, and a relentless desire to perfect his footwork. All attributes that Bogi also possesses. I have watched him work on it and I think he will refine it more this summer.
Na he can’t do harden step back they’re rightfully call a travel on him

I wouldn't trade anyone to Boston for that pick right now because odds are on a winning team/system no matter who/what the result I bet it puts egg all over our face.

There's not a lot of hype around 2019 right now, which is somewhat of a relief, that said there was not a lot of hype about this year either - it was a 3-4 person draft now it's either a 2 person draft or a 7-10 deep draft, depending on how you look at these things. A lot of hype as the regular season winds down and the tourney happens.

Pretty easy yes from me. I love Bogdan and his game, but we're still in search of our franchise players.

Below is a list of impact stats for this season. Take notice of where Bogdanovic is compared to everyone else on our team. All of you wouldn't trade a 25 year old (26 at the start of next season) performing at that level for a top 5/top 10 pick?...When we already have a 24 year old SG who has been playing well?... When we are in rebuilding mode? Maybe it's just me, but this seems like some pretty extreme homerism.

1523910338480.png

Pretty easy yes from me. I love Bogdan and his game, but we're still in search of our franchise players.

Below is a list of impact stats for this season. Take notice of where Bogdanovic is compared to everyone else on our team. All of you wouldn't trade a 25 year old (26 at the start of next season) performing at that level for a top 5/top 10 pick?...When we already have a 24 year old SG who has been playing well?... When we are in rebuilding mode? Maybe it's just me, but this seems like some pretty extreme homerism.

View attachment 7601
This way I don’t have to listen to tanking discussions nonstop the entire year. Although I believe the kings should have tanked this year, I’m actually looking forward to not having it even be part of the discussion next season. I can actually root for us to win guilt-free. And we suck at drafting anyways. We know what we have in Bogdan.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't think Boston owns the Kings' pick outright - there are some complicated protections that you can read about here: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
Technically, Philly owns it, for now. It's complicated, but it basically looks like this - as long as the Lakers don't hit 2 or 3 in the lotto this year, Boston owns a pick from Philly, which is the better of Philly's 2019 and our 2019 (or, in the case one of those is the #1 overall, the worse of the two). We could in principle trade for what Boston owns (assuming this year's lotto doesn't shake things up) and that would likely be our own pick. I'm not advocating that, but it could be done.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

No, because you have no guarantees at all what that pick will become. Might be a Thomas Robinson, or a Greg Oden. Everyone wants to keep trading our rooks that have shown potential and might develop into something good for a draft pick that might not be as good as the player we just traded away. Bogie is one of the few players playing well just about every night. How about we not trade away all the players actually helping us get better?

Look, I get it. We do need more talent. We have Giles and a decent pick coming this year, so that is good. But we also need to develop the players we have to see where they can take us. Constant roster turnover does not help at all.

No, because you have no guarantees at all what that pick will become. Might be a Thomas Robinson, or a Greg Oden. Everyone wants to keep trading our rooks that have shown potential and might develop into something good for a draft pick that might not be as good as the player we just traded away. Bogie is one of the few players playing well just about every night. How about we not trade away all the players actually helping us get better?

Look, I get it. We do need more talent. We have Giles and a decent pick coming this year, so that is good. But we also need to develop the players we have to see where they can take us. Constant roster turnover does not help at all.
This whole “it’s not a guarantee” argument is very lazy. We get it. Drafting a player is not a guarantee. However, the pick being a question mark does not mean it’s a non-starter. If it was, that would mean you wouldn’t trade Bogdan for the #1 overall pick which is ridiculous. If in the off chance you wouldn’t trade Bogdan for the #1, then we have nothing left to discuss. If you would, maybe there is some middle ground we can stand on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This whole “it’s not a guarantee” argument is very lazy. We get it. Drafting a player is not a guarantee. However, the pick being a question mark does not mean it’s a non-starter. If it was, that would mean you wouldn’t trade Bogdan for the #1 overall pick which is ridiculous. If in the off chance you wouldn’t trade Bogdan for the #1, then we have nothing left to discuss. If you would, maybe there is some middle ground we can stand on.
Oh come on. That's about as textbook an example of a strawman argument as you could possibly come up with.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
You said "top 5/top 10" pick. For that, no. We are slated to pick there right now and everyone is wailing and gnashing their teeth over how terrible that is and that Vlade should be fired or whatever.

The pick can’t be 1. Philly has the rights to 1.

View attachment 7601
So you are saying these numbers tell you Sampson and Cooley are better players than Bogdan? Is this really why you would choose to trade Bogdan? IMO that chart is missing something:cool:

Bogdan has made me a believer that a 25 year old rookie that has been a professional for many years CAN still get much better. As the year has gone along, he has been figuring out ways to be much more effective, workjng on new ways to score or create offense. I can be sold on the "Bogs Harden Step Back." Elite athleticism and quickness is not the only way to be an elite player. His strong handle, great shot, good quickness amd long arms, elite IQ leave no reason tp belive we have seen the best from him. As he adjust more to the NBA (°and rested legs) i look forward t a lit more to come. Not only has he consistently elevated his game, he has been the biggest influence on the other young guys, teaching them how to be innovative in new ways and expand their games. If you asked me this at the beginning of the season, i would have traded him...now, i dont think your likely to geery back the overall impact he brings, and additional impact next year, in a pick over top 3 or 4. So id keep him easily as that wouldnt be likely.

Last edited:
Oh come on. That's about as textbook an example of a strawman argument as you could possibly come up with.
His/Her reason for not wanting to do the trade was "because you have no guarantees at all what that pick will become."

This should never be a reason for turning down a trade as I illustrated with my reference to trading him for the #1 overall pick. It's all about risk. Is the risk of the player being worse worth the risk of the player being better than Bogdan. The black & white approach referenced above is not how the real world operates.

It's a perfectly legitimate question to ask someone who says I will not trade Bogdan for a top 5/top 10 pick "because you have no guarantees at all what that pick will become." The same exact "reason" can be stated for why one wouldn't trade Bogdan for the #1 overall. Technically, the #1 overall pick is not a guarantee therefore we should not trade Bogdan for said pick. As you can see, this logic is weak at best, and it's why I attacked it.

Bogdan has made me a believer that a 25 year old rookie that has been a professional for many years CAN still get much better. As the year has gone along, he has been figuring out ways to be much more effective, workjng on new ways to score or create offense. I can be sold on the "Bogs Harden Step Back." Elite athleticism and quickness is not the only way to be an elite player. His strong handle, great shot, good quickness amd long arms, elite IQ leave no reason tp belive we have seen the best from him. As he adjust more to the NBA (°and rested legs) i look forward t a lit more to come. Not only has he consistently elevated his game, he has been the biggest influence on the other young guys, teaching them how to be innovative in new ways and expand their games. If you asked me this at the beginning of the season, i would have traded him...now, i dont think your likely to geery back the overall impact he brings, and additional impact next year, in a pick over top 3 or 4. So id keep him easily as that wouldnt be likely.
The best examples of successful players coming from outside the NBA are Manu Ginobli, Drazen Pretrovic and Sarunas Marciulionis. All three stared hitting their stride in their 3rd seasons. All three started their NBA careers at the age of 25.