Blake Griffin traded to Detroit

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Guess this answers the question of whether Detroit is in "win now" mode or not. Blake is a good fit next to Drummond and Bullock has been solid for them at SF. The rookie Luke Kennard has been playing a lot lately at SG because he's knocking down shots and Bradley isn't. Now they just need a PG...

I think its a weird fit in Detroit and not sure it makes them much better than a 4th-5th seed. Not a very deep team but intriguing, nonetheless. As for the clippers, I think they might have been ready to blow it all up and might have grown tired of paying the guy 20 mil + per year to miss as many games as he does. They might be glad they got out from under that contract in a couple years.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't know many who saw this one coming, at least not to Detroit. The Clipps should now trade Lou, DeAndre and the rest and commit to a full rebuild. But it's the Clippers, so who knows...

We should be in their GRILL right now with George Hill trade offers and try and sneak some of Stan Johnson, Ellenson or Kennard away from them. They're even more desperate now for back-court help and they're obviously moving up their timeline to put together a winning team now. George Hill is absolute money next to their two bigs, great off-ball shooter, gives them more versatility.

And from what I've been reading, the Pistons get a 7 mil TPE from including Boban in the deal. So something simple as Hill+filler for Leur+Kennard or Johnson should in theory work just fine.

We should be in their GRILL right now with George Hill trade offers and try and sneak some of Stan Johnson, Ellenson or Kennard away from them. They're even more desperate now for back-court help and they're obviously moving up their timeline to put together a winning team now. George Hill is absolute money next to their two bigs, great off-ball shooter, gives them more versatility.

And from what I've been reading, the Pistons get a 7 mil TPE from including Boban in the deal. So something simple as Hill+filler for Leur+Kennard or Johnson should in theory work just fine.
Agree with you that Hill makes a lot of sense for them. However 1) you can't combine TPEs with other players so unfortunately your proposal doesn't work. And 2) the Pistons are only 2 mil under the Tax now and I doubt they will go over it.

unless Kings take Reggie Jackson back (ugh) a deal is very hard. Maybe Hill+Richardson for Ish+Stanley+Leuer. But Kings would again need to create a roster spot.

The deal makes sense for Detroit in that it gives them an all star to pair with Drummond, however how good is that duo when compared to the rest of the eastern conference?

I'll be honest, I don't think this boosts them into contender status in the east because I would rank all four teams in the top four seeding ahead of them. At best this puts them into the same bracket as the next four teams, but I rate the Bucks roster as better, the Pacers play very well as a unit and have some ascending young players, same goes for the 76ers, and the Wizards are a good team even though they are underachieving. So even though this move makes sense, I don't think it makes them a significant threat in the east and it puts them into cap hell because that contract is going to be a huge burden as time goes on. For me, I would say the Pistons are more like the Hornets than the Celtics or Cavaliers, and that is not a good thing.

Detroit refused to include Kennard in the Griffin deal so it is unlikely they look to move him.