Bizarro Wide World of Sports Lin Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now for the Lins standings. Last night was a full slate of games for those in the thick of the Lin championship. Before last night’s games the standings were:

WINS LINS GB (IN WIN COLUMN)
Magic 14 35 --
Hawks 15 35 1
Mavs 16 35 2
Kings 16 34 2
Suns 17 34 3
Bulls 18 32 4
Nets 18 33 4
Grizzlies 18 31 4
Lakers 19 30 5

After last night, the standings are:

WINS LINS GB (IN WIN COLUMN)
Hawks 15 36 --
Magic 15 35 --
Mavs 16 36 1
Kings 16 34 1
Suns 18 34 3
Bulls 18 33 3
Grizzlies 18 32 3
Nets 19 33 4
Lakers 19 31 4

Lin Championship Game reports from the Bizzaro Wide World of Sports:

Lakers at Magic, LAL 105 ORL 127. The Lakers were desperate for a Lin as they had fallen back to 5 games behind in the win column. Any further back, and it would put their hopes for a Lin championship in serious doubt with the season more than half over. However, being the championship caliber team they are, they came out playing with a sense of desperation and never really allowed the Magic to have any chance of competing for the Lin. They scored 13 points less than the Magic in the 3rd quarter and pretty much put the Lin away.

The Magic lost a golden opportunity to extend their Lin lead and fell back to essentially a tie with the Hawks, percentage points behind the Hawks.

The Lakers picked up a full game in the win column on the Magic and are now only 4 games back. Still away back, but not insurmountable. You have to wonder what the Magic were thinking, obviously they were not well prepared to take the Lin from the Lakers. Vogel was thoroughly out coached by Walton.

Hornets at Hawks, CHA 123 ATL 127. The Hawks regrouped after Monday night’s embarrassing win over the Timberwolves and put the Hornets away early for the Lin. The Hawks are now in the lead for the Lin championship by percentage points over the Magic.

Mavericks at Phoenix, DAL 88 PHX 102. Phoenix needed the Lin in the worst way, but the Mavs never really allowed them to be in contention for it. The Suns lost a golden opportunity to make up ground on the Magic, but at least they are still only 3 games out. The Mavs were able to pick up a full game on the Magic in the win column and are now only one game out.

I’m not sure how much less Phoenix could have done (obviously they needed to do less), they only played Booker 32 minutes and he did his part only scoring 15 points on 14 shots. They just could not overcome the Mavs practiced ineptness.

The Kings were idle and so the sinister machinations of the FO and Joerger and Turner could not prevent the Kings from picking up a full game on the Magic and they are only one game out, just percentage points behind the Mavs. Friday will bring another story, what will the FO and the coaching staff have up their collective sleeves to stymie the King’s pursuit of that ever-elusive Lin championship? What indeed?

Grizzlies at Pacers, MEM 101 IND 105. The Grizzlies played it close to the vest, only trailing by 2 at the half, but a determined 3rd quarter where they were outscored 29 to 22 locked down the Lin for them and kept their championship hopes alive. They picked up a full game in the win column on the Magic, but still trail by 3 games.

76ers at Nets, PHI 108 BKN 116. What is up with the 76ers and the Nets? Did the 76ers seriously just tank for the last 4 years to let the lowly Nets beat them? And the Nets? What are they doing? They needed this Lin, the win has now put them 4 games back with the Lakers and more importantly, there are 6 teams they have to climb under to get to the championship.

And what are they doing to the Kings? Do they not realize that there are semi-serious rumors of a coup led by disgruntled Kings fans, that will take over the Kings and trade Hill, Bogdanovic, WCS, and Labissiere to Cleveland for the Brooklyn pick? But if the Nets keep this up, the pick will fall out of the top 5 and be worthless.

There was not much change in the Lin standings after last night’s games. The only team competing for the Lin Championship last night was the Grizzlies. They struggled most of the game. They were tied at the half, however, they pulled it together enough in the 3rd quarter to fall behind by 6 points and that was enough to ultimately allow them to squeeze out the Lin. However, they are still 3 games behind the Hawks and Magic in the win column and are in a logjam with the Suns and Bulls.

There is a full slate of games tonight and two games of interest are the Lakers at Nets and the Warriors at Kings. The Lakers and the Nets are both on the edge of falling out of the Lin Championship, one of them has to win, and the winner will be one step closer to elimination.

This should be a guaranteed Lin for the Kings going up against the power house Warriors. But who knows what devious plot the Kings FO, Joerger and Turner have hatched to avoid taking the Lin? It will be interesting to see if they can somehow back out of an almost surefire Lin.

Bizarro World Wide Sports NBA LIN Championship Standings

TEAM WINS LINS GB (IN WIN COLUMN)
Hawks.....15.....36.....--
Magic...... 15.....35.....--
Mavs........16.....36.....1
Kings........16.....34.....1
Suns.........18.....34.....3
Bulls.........18.....33.....3
Grizzlies....18....33.....3
Nets..........19.....33.....4
Lakers.......19.....31.....4

Last edited:
Latest LIN standings

Hawks.....15.....37.....--
Magic...... 15.....35.....--
Mavs........16.....36.....1
Kings........16.....35.....1
Suns.........18.....35.....3
Bulls.........18.....34.....3
Grizzlies....18....33.....3
Nets..........19.....34.....4
Lakers.......20.....31.....5

No major changes in the standings.

In Friday night’s games, Hawks, Kings, Nets, and Suns all attained LINS. Lakers were unable to lock down a LIN against the Nets and picked up their 20th win.

The Laker championship chances are slowly slipping away. It appears that the cut off wins for the LIN championship may be somewhere south of 25 wins and with 31 games left for the Lakers it will be extremely difficult to win fewer than 5 of the remaining games.

The Nets picked up a much-needed LIN, but with 19 wins, their championship chances are only slightly better than the Lakers.

Hawks are maintaining their number 1 spot (by percentage points) over the Magic.

Kings were able to pick up the LIN against the Warriors despite the best efforts of the coaching staff to thwart the LIN.

As for today/tonight’s schedule, Bulls have already secured a LIN today, Magic are in the process of gaining another LIN against the Wizards and looks like they will keep pace with the Hawks.

The only other game of note for the LIN Championship is Mavs at Kings. Even if the Kings coaching staff sees the light and tries to coach for the LIN, they may have difficulty in overcoming the youthful exuberance of their young charges and pull out the LIN.

The Kings and Mavs are in a virtual tie, both 1 game back of the Hawks and Magic. Whichever team gains the LIN in this game will push the opponent one game further back. The Mavs have produced LINs in 8 of their last 9 games and are on a roll. They may have too much LIN momentum for the Kings to overcome.

I suspect there may be much weeping, gnashing of teeth, and burning of sack cloth by our LIN brethren after tonight's game. Kings have been showing a lot of progress and the young guys may push the Kings over the edge for the win with a little help from the vets. I was going to put this in the Mavs game thread, but then I thought better of it and didn't want VF to whup up on me :D:p

Latest LIN standings

Magic...... 15.....36.....--
Hawks.....16.....37......1
Kings........16.....36.....1
Mavs........17.....36.....2
Suns.........18.....36.....3
Bulls.........18.....34.....3
Grizzlies....18....34.....3
Nets..........19.....35.....4
Lakers.......21.....31.....6

Hawks fell on their faces and blew the LIN against the Knicks with a last second 3-pointer by Bazemore. They have now fallen out of first place into a virtual tie with our own Kings for the second spot and allowed the Magic, who were off, to take sole possession of the bottom spot.

The Kings pulled out the LIN by managing to completely elude any offensive efficiency for the first 6 minutes of the 4th quarter against the Mavs and were outscored by the Mavs 16-0 during that span. The Mavs were never able to recover, and went down to the win, dropping 2 full games back of the leading Magic and 1 game back of the Kings.

Many assumed the Kings would not be able to avoid the win, but they persevered and got the much-needed LIN. Kings remained 1 game back of the idle Magic, but they are now in a virtual tie with the Hawks for 2nd place.

Grizzlies, Suns, and Nets all achieved LINs and held their positions, Grizzlies and Suns 3 back and Nets 4 back.

The Lakers have lost all LIN momentum and once again were unable to achieve the LIN, this time against the Thunder. The Lakers are 6 games back and fading fast in the LIN championship, fast approaching practical elimination.

Games of note, tonight:

The Magic play at the Heat, this should be an all but guaranteed LIN for the Magic.

The Bulls at the Kings, this should be the most competitive LIN game on tonight’s schedule. Similar to the Mavs at Kings game, the team that gains the LIN in this game will push the opponent one game further back. One team has to win. The Bulls have 6 straight LINs and are on a roll. Kings are inconsistent, 3 and 3 in their last 6 games.

Mavs at Clippers, barring a melt-down by the Mavs, they should be able to put this one in the LIN column.

Ha ha, alright, I’ll try to keep the updates coming for a while. I’ll try to provide and update for last night’s games a little later.

Had to have a little down time, the doctor changed my meds (my b/p, not my psychosis meds o_O), and it’s taking me some time to adjust to them. B/p dropped out the bottom which is kind of a good thing because I have problems keeping it down in the normal range for years, but I don’t really need it to go that low, kind of knocked me for a loop for a couple days.

You must realize I started this just to amuse myself, mostly. I was watching some other NBA games and got to wondering if the other teams near the bottom had a contingent of fans that rooted for “LINS” (I am sure they do).

I imagined what it would be like if that was the norm, rooting for your team to lose, and what it would be like if games were reported from that perspective. I did find that amusing and thought I would share. I was a little concerned it might offend some, but so far nobody seems to have taken offense, none is intended.

Also, while I don’t root for LINs, I am not blind to the implications of the draft and have an interest in the LIN standings, so I kind of like to keep up with where the “competing” teams are.

In my opinion, the Kings will lose enough games to be in the running for LIN championship just because they are not a very good team right now. I believe this is the intention of the lottery, to compensate poor performing teams with the higher draft picks.

However, as I have stated previously, I cannot root against my team during the game. I can accept the losses easier knowing they are going to be rebuilding (this year and next and probably into the 3rd) they were never going to be in contention for the playoffs and that each loss does benefit their potential draft position.

I cannot support a philosophy that develops a game strategy whose primary goal is to lose games in order to artificially gain an advantage in the draft. To me that is cheating. I don’t care of other teams do it, I don’t approve of it and won’t approve of it.

I am ok with a philosophy that may sacrifice wins in order to develop younger inexperienced players. I am ok with the coaching staff determining the best way to develop players, I am not privy to all the data they have and wouldn’t know what to do with it if I did.

I am ok with the coaching staff at times playing veterans over young guys and this lead to wins, if they feel this is part of the development plan, teaching by example, building not tearing down confidence, etc. There is also something to be said for showing some respect to the veterans, that whole “building a better culture” thing. There is also something to be said for letting the young guys see a few wins, hopefully be part of them, and not be beat down all the time. Develop a “winning culture”, not accepting losing as the norm.

I will defer to the coaching staff, at least until they have had enough to time to follow the plan they have outlined for it to approach its conclusion.

Latest LIN standings

TEAM WINS LINS *GB Losing %
Hawks.....16.....37......--……0.698
Magic...... 16.....36.....-- ……0.692
Mavs........17.....37.....1…..…0.685
Kings........17.....36.....1…..…0.679
Suns.........18.....36.....2….…0.667
Bulls.........18.....35.....2……0.660
Grizzlies....18....34.....2……0.654
Nets..........19.....35.....3……0.648
Lakers.......21.....31.....5……0.596

* In Win Column

The Magic fans must be wondering if their team even understands the basics of tanking. This was an all but guaranteed LIN for the Magic, but they somehow managed to blow the LIN against the Heat. At season’s end, they may remember this game as a lost opportunity. They have now fallen back into a virtual tie with the Hawks again.

The Bulls lulled the Kings into a sense of complacency after outscoring the Kings 28 -9 in the first quarter. Apparently, the Kings thought they had the LIN in the bag and relaxed and went on to outscore the Bulls 95 – 70 costing them the LIN and coupled with the Magic loss what would have vaulted them into a 1st place tie in the LIN championship. Kings remain 1 game back. Bulls gained a full game and now sit 2 games back.

Mavs pulled the LIN out at the Clippers, although there were some nail biting moments as the Mavs led after 3 quarters but got their act together in the 4th quarter and secured the LIN. Mavs picked up a full game and are now in a tie with Kings 1 game back.

Hawks, Suns, Grizzlies, Nets, and Lakers were all idle and picked up a game (in the win column) on the Magic. The race has tightened up with 7 teams within 2 games of the lead. The Nets are not out of it, 3 games back and even the fast fading Lakers are not totally out of it 5 games back.

Games of note, tonight:

The Magic play at the Cavs on a back-to-back, and this should be an all but guaranteed LIN for the Magic (where have we heard that before!). Difficult game to gauge with the recent play of the imploding Cavs.

Grizzlies at Hawks will be tonight’s most anticipated matchup, Grizzlies need a LIN to stay close to the Magic and pull the Hawks back in a little bit. Hawks want to maintain their momentum.

Rockets at Nets, another near guaranteed LIN for the Nets? The Nets cannot afford a win against this kind of competition. They are already in danger of falling too far back in the hunt.

Suns at Lakers may have the most consequences in the LIN Championship. A Laker win may come close to eliminating them from serious consideration minus some outrageous tanking at season’s end. A win would give them 22 wins with 29 games to go. It appears probable that the LIN Championship will be won by a team with somewhere around 25 or fewer wins. It is doubtful that the Lakers can avoid winning more than 3 games. Also, a win may cause a seismic shift in attitude and the Lakers may start to believe they can compete for a playoff spot and this would play havoc with the LIN strategy.

The Suns need the LIN to keep pace. They are 2 games back and do not really want to fall back to the Nets 3 games back.

Last edited:
The win put the Kings dangerously close to drafting 7 th or 8th in what is really a top loaded 6 man draft: Ayton, Doncic, Jackson, Bagley, Young and maybe Porter (depending on medical). After that group the talent drops off. With other teams tanking hard to get into the top 5 we shall see where we end up.

LIN Alert! Magic up on Cavs 111 - 93 2:45 to go. Hawks up by 25 over Grizzlies near end of 3rd quarter. The Kings might be in a 4-way tie for the lead before the nights over

Latest LIN standings

Hawks.....17.....37......--……0.685
Mavs........17.....37.....--...…0.685
Magic...... 17.....36.....-- ……0.679
Kings........17.....36.....--....…0.679
Suns.........18.....37.....1…..…0.673
Bulls.........18.....35.....1….…0.660
Grizzlies....18....35.....1….…0.660
Nets..........19.....36.....2….…0.655
Lakers.......22.....31.....5….…0.585
* In Win Column

Joy in the Kingdom! Our own Sacramento Kings have backed into a tie for the LIN Championship, just percentage points out of 1st place by being idle last night.

The Magic could not overcome the implosion that is the Cavs and fell to the win dropping them back in a 4-way tie with Hawks, Mavs, and Kings.
In the battle of who wants the LIN more, the Grizzlies outlasted the Hawks and pulled out the LIN handily, being outscored by 26 points. The Hawks have now failed to achieve a LIN in 3 of their last 5 games and may need to reevaluate their LIN strategy.

Hawks are in that same 4-way tie with the Magic, Mavs, and Kings. Grizzlies picked up a full game and now only trail by 1 game.

The Nets grimly hung in there and got the LIN against the Rockets, despite only trailing by 3 points at the half. The Lin puts them back in the LIN Championship picture as they are only 2 games out.

Lakers championship hopes took another hit as they failed to get the LIN and pick up some much- needed ground on the leaders and still trail by 5 games with a total of 22 wins now, dangerous territory.

The Suns “out LINNED” the Lakers and put another nail in their coffin while picking up a full game on the leaders and they only trail by 1 game.

Bulls were idle, but still managed to pick up a game on the leaders and now trail by 1 game.

Latest LIN standings

Suns.........18.....37.....1…..…0.673
Grizzlies....18....35.....1….…0.660
Nets..........19.....36.....2….…0.655
* In Win Column

Joy in the Kingdom! Our own Sacramento Kings have backed into a tie for the LIN Championship, just percentage points out of 1st place by being idle last night.

The Magic could not overcome the implosion that is the Cavs and fell to the win dropping them back in a 4-way tie with Hawks, Mavs, and Kings.
In the battle of who wants the LIN more, the Grizzlies outlasted the Hawks and pulled out the LIN handily, being outscored by 26 points. The Hawks have now failed to achieve a LIN in 3 of their last 5 games and may need to reevaluate their LIN strategy.

Hawks are in that same 4-way tie with the Magic, Mavs, and Kings. Grizzlies picked up a full game and now only trail by 1 game.

The Nets grimly hung in there and got the LIN against the Rockets, despite only trailing by 3 points at the half. The Lin puts them back in the LIN Championship picture as they are only 2 games out.

Lakers championship hopes took another hit as they failed to get the LIN and pick up some much- needed ground on the leaders and still trail by 5 games with a total of 22 wins now, dangerous territory.

The Suns “out LINNED” the Lakers and put another nail in their coffin while picking up a full game on the leaders and they only trail by 1 game.

Bulls were idle, but still managed to pick up a game on the leaders and now trail by 1 game.
Darn. Their is going to be a lot of nail biting around this board for the next 9 weeks. Anywhere from first to 8th is possible before accounting for the effects of the lottery. Kings could realistically draft 1st to 10th in a draft strong at the top but that drops off quickly after the first 5-6 players.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

That is my ideal scenario. Let the other Lin candidates shoot themselves in the foot. ;)

That is my ideal scenario. Let the other Lin candidates shoot themselves in the foot. ;)
Our most ardent tankers seem to be of the opinion that all the other bottom dwelling teams have an active tanking strategy that involves setting up their teams to lose, whether by roster moves, resting players, or just in game decisions, while the Kings FO and coaching staff is too incompetent to realize they need to shamelessly tank to keep pace. I am not seeing that, at least not at this point in the season. If the other teams are actively tanking and have losing as their primary goal, they certainly are not executing very well.

I still believe that the number 1 lottery slot (pre-ping pong balls) will be captured by a team with around 25 wins and that the Kings will be right there, it looks like it's going to be a tight race. I'm sure that if the Kings don't capture that top spot, there will be plenty of LIN supporters who will point with righteous indignation to this win or that win that the Kings should not have won for one reason or another. I am equally sure that the same can be said for all the other teams, I already see that.

I wonder as the season draws to a close, if any team does begin to shamelessly tank, if the commissioner's office would step in. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has made it clear how much he detests tanking. I am not sure that there is much they can do, but if any team pushes it too far, we might find out.

So the Kings have the toughest road to the top LIN standing. They have near the most games by other bottom tier teams and by far the most games at home. The Kings will have to make a concerted effort to lose or they will have the 7-9th pick.

Home AwayTotal
Orlando 5 7 12
Sac 7 4 11
Dallas 3 8 11
Chicago 6 4 10
Memphis 4 4 8
Lakers 4 4 8
Brooklyn 4 3 7
Atlanta 3 2 5
Pheonix 4 1 5
Knicks 2 3 5

Last edited:
Latest LIN standings

Suns.........18.....38.....1…..…0.679
Grizzlies....18....36.....1….…0.667
Nets..........19.....37.....2….…0.661

* In Win Column

No real change in the standings, only three LIN competitors were in action last night. Nets, Grizzlies, and Suns all held serve, each managing to pull out the LIN, the Suns in rather spectacular fashion LINNING to the Spurs 129 – 81.

In tonight’s action, the key game is the Hawks at Magic, both teams are tied for the top spot (Hawks lead by percentage points). One of the two teams will drop out of first with 18 wins and 1 game back.

I am not sure the Knicks can be considered in the running with 23 wins, but the loss of Porzingis may give them impetus to join the LIN run for the championship, however, their accumulated 23 wins may be too much to overcome. They play at the Raptors tonight.

Mavs play at the Warriors, pretty much a guaranteed LIN for the Mavs.

Thunder at the fading Lakers who are 7 – 3 in their last 10 games. This is a game where the Lakers need to pull out the LIN, if they are to remain in the running.

Latest LIN standings

Hawks.....17.....38......--……0.691
Mavs........17.....38.....--...…0.691
Magic...... 18.....36..... 1 ……0.667
Knicks......23.....33.....6….…0.589
Lakers.......23.....31.....6….…0.574

* In Win Column

In last night’s marquee matchup, the Hawks outlasted the Magic and picked up the LIN. In a real nail-biter, the game was tied at the half, Hawks found themselves leading by 1 after 3 quarters, before the Hawks finally squeezed out the LIN by just 2 points.

The win dropped the Magic to 1 game back in a 4-way tie with Suns, Grizzlies, and Bulls. Hawks remained in a tie for the lead with the surging Mavs and our own idle Kings (who are percentage points back).

It seems both teams are showing mediocre results in the LIN challenge as the Hawks are 4-6 and the Magic are 5-5 in their last 10 games respectively.

The Knicks picked up a LIN against the Raptors. Are the Knicks a player now? Are they a late addition to the LIN challenge with the loss of Porzingis? Only time will tell, but the 23 wins they have already accumulated will be hard to overcome. They may be a player in the sense they could possibly play their way into the top 5.

The Mavs continued their LIN streak with the expected LIN against the Warriors. The Mavs are 2-8 in their last 10 games and may be the team to watch along with the Suns who are 1-9 in their last 10.

The fading Lakers just could not avoid the Win against the Thunder and now stand at 23 wins. Probably insurmountable, but they may still be able to pull out a top 5 if they can somehow get their act together.

Kings, Suns, Grizzlies, and Bulls were all idle last night and held their respective positions in the GB (Wins Column).

The trade deadline passed Thursday and several teams made last minute trades. Time will tell how affect the trades have on the LIN Championship.

There are no head on head competitions tonight.

Hawks play at the Cavs tonight and it will the Cavs first game since acquiring Hill, Hood, et al. It will be interesting to see if this kick starts the Cav’s season. This should be a near guaranteed LIN for the Hawks, but with the way the Hawks have been playing (4-6 in last 10) and with the way Cleveland had imploded, who knows. I am guessing the Cavs are re-energized (at least for the moment) and the Hawks handily pick up the LIN.

The Timberwolves play at the Bulls and the Bulls may be starting to make a run, they are 2-8 in their last 10 games, so look for them to get the LIN.

Trailblazers at Kings will be the Kings first game without George Hill. DeAaron Fox is battling an ankle injury and Garrett Temple may be iffy for the game, too. With Mason out until at least February 22, the Kings may be very short handed at PG. Also of interest, will trade deadline acquisition Caboclo see some minutes?

You would think this would be an easy LIN for the Kings, but the feisty group who does not seem to understand the importance of a LIN may just find a way to win.

Kings do not seem to be committed to a LIN at all costs strategy as many of their fans are squawking for. They are 4-6 in their last 10 games.

Last edited:

Hawks.....17.....39......--……0.696
Mavs........17.....38.....--...…0.691
Kings........17.....37.....--....…0.685
Magic...... 18.....36..... 1 ……0.667
Bulls.........19.....35.....2….…0.648
Lakers.......23.....31.....6….…0.574

* In Win Column

Hawks scored the LIN against the Cavs as expected, even without the Cavs new acquisitions being able to join them, yet. Hawks hold on to the top spot by percentage points over the Mavs followed by the Kings percentage points back of the idle Mavs.

The Bulls lost out on the LIN by a single point and fell a full game further back of the Hawks, Mavs, and Kings, now sitting 2 games back in the win column.

All that weeping, gnashing of teeth, and burning of sack cloth maybe paying off for Sacramento’s LIN contingent of fans as the Kings appeared to want to compete with the Trailblazers for the win for almost 3 quarters before ultimately locking up the LIN with a brilliant strategy where they were outscored 17-0 (almost exclusively by Damian Lillard) during the final 4 minutes and 25 seconds of the 3rd quarter. Up until this point, the LIN was very much up in the air.

The Kings continue to hang tough, still tied in the win column with the Hawks and Mavs only percentage points back.

In a head-to-head competition, tonight the Lakers are at the Mavs. If the Lakers want to get back in the running, they really need the LIN tonight. A win tonight would put them at 24 wins and way too close to that projected 25 wins cut-off point for the LIN championship with 27 games left.

Also, a LIN would pull the near front running Mavs one game back closer to the rest of the field.

Pelicans at Nets, is a game that may indicate just how serious a contender the Nets are for the LIN championship. The Nets do not need to fall any further back.

Bucks at Magic is another interesting game. The Magic have been fading a bit, winners of 5 of their last 10. They need to get back on track with a LIN tonight.

Wizards at Bulls. Bulls had their 7 game LIN streak snapped last night and will try to get back to their LINNING ways tonight.

The Nuggets are at the Suns where the Suns will try to continue their hot streak, they have scored a LIN in 9 of their last 10 games.

Hawks, Kings, and Grizzlies are idle tonight.

Last edited:
Latest LIN standings (2/11/18)

Hawks.....17.....39......--……0.696
Kings........17.....37.....--....…0.685
Suns.........18.....39.....1…..…0.684
Mavs........18.....38......1-...….0.679
Magic...... 18.....37..... 1 ……0.672
Nets..........19.....38.....2….…0.667
Bulls.........19.....36.....2….…0.655
Lakers.......23.....32.....6….…0.582

* In Win Column

In the main event last night, the Lakers were finally able to get back in the LIN column with a LIN over the Mavs. The LIN keeps the Lakers in the hunt (at least mathematically), but they still remain 6 games back in the win column.

The win dropped the Mavs out of a virtual tie for first and they are now 1 game back in a log jam with the Suns, Magic, and Grizzlies.

The Nets managed the LIN against the Pels, but it was not easy. They trailed by 20 at the half and seemed assured of the LIN, but somehow stumbled to a tie at the end of regulation before finally recovering to get the LIN by 10 points in the OT. The Nets appear to be a contender, remaining 2 games back in the win column.

The Magic after winning 5 of their last 10, got back on track with a LIN against the Bucks. However, the LIN was in doubt for a good part of the game, the Magic led at the half 54-50. The LIN allowed the Magic to keep pace 1 game back in the Win column.

After having their 7 game LIN streak snapped the previous night, the Bulls got back to their LINNING ways against the Wizards. The LIN was never in serious doubt. The Bulls remain 2 games back in the win column.

The Suns continued their LINNING ways against the Nuggets and now have a 5 game LIN streak including 9 out of their last 10. Suns are 1 game back and closing fast.

Our own idle Kings are now in a virtual 2-way tie for the lead, 0.011 percentage points out of first place behind the also idle Hawks. The Grizzlies were idle as well and remain 1 game back in the 4-way log jam with the Suns, Mavs, and Magic.

There are no head-to-head competitions tonight, so the big question is will the Hawks hold on to the top spot and LIN against the Pistons?

Knicks are at the Pacers. With 23 wins the Knicks really are not in the discussion for the LIN championship, but with the loss of Porzingis, they could be a dark horse contender or at least a spoiler (along with the Lakers).

Mavs are at the Rockets and you would think this would be guaranteed LIN.

Kings are at Timberwolves, first game of a road trip, this should be an easy LIN for the Kings, but they do like to do the unexpected.

Grizzlies are at the Thunder, probably a LIN for the Grizzlies, but I am just not sure the Grizzlies have the team makeup for a serious LIN run. Time will tell.

Suns, Magic, Bulls, Nets, and Lakers are idle.

Last edited:
Hawks win, they outscored the Pistons in 3 of the 4 quarters. By failing to achieve the LIN the Hawks have surrendered the top spot to our own Sacramento Kings (at least temporarily pending tonight"s Kings at Wolves game). Kings fans could wake up in the morning to see the Kings in sole possession of that top spot.

Latest LIN standings (2/12/18)

Kings........17.....38.....--....…0.691
Hawks.....18.....39......1..……0.684
Suns.........18.....39.....1…..…0.684
Mavs........18.....39......1-...….0.684
Magic...... 18.....37..... 1 ……0.672
Grizzlies....18....37.....1….…0.672
Nets..........19.....38.....2….…0.667
Bulls.........19.....36.....2….…0.655
Knicks......23.....34.....6….…0.596

* In Win Column

The Hawks win against the Pistons dropped them out of the top spot and our own Sacramento Kings LINNED their way into sole position of first place. Try as they might, the Hawks just could not pull out the LIN. The Hawks are now in a real log jam, 1 win back in the win column along with Suns, Mavs, Magic, and Grizzlies.

The Kings kept the LIN very much in doubt until the final seconds, but they were able to LIN and move into that coveted top position.

The Knicks picked up another LIN and remain a dark horse contender even with their already accumulated 23 wins.

Mavs toyed with the Rockets a bit, especially in the second quarter, but in the end picked up the LIN as expected and also remain in that log jam 1 game back.

Grizzlies had no problem picking up the LIN against the Thunder and remain in the log jam.

Tonight, we have a head-to-head with the Magic at the Bulls. One team has to win and will be dropped back a game in the standings. Bulls are already 2 back and do not need to fall any further back. Mavs are in the log jam and need to maintain pace.

Knicks are at 76ers. This game may determine if the Knicks are going to be a dark horse contender or not. They do not need to add to their 23 game win total.

Clippers at Nets. You would think this would be a LIN for the Nets and keep their LIN Championship hopes alive another day, at least.

Suns at Warriors. Almost a sure fire guaranteed LIN for the Suns, LINNERS of 9 of their last 10.

Kings are idle allowing them to bask at least one more day in the top spot.

Hawks, Mavs, Grizzlies, and Lakers are idle.

Huge lin opportunity next game. And just for the record I think tanking sux but it is what it is.
I think tanking sux, too. I started this as mostly a satirical take on the LIN strategy. But I also understand the importance of the draft pick.

I got the impression listening to our LIN community that all the other bottom teams were in ful blown tank mode and the Kings were losing out by not following this strategy. But I have been watching some of the other games involving those lower teams, and guess what? From everything I can tell at this point, they are still trying to win games (and are at times winning games that seem to be sure fired LINs for them).

From everything the players and coaches say and certainly their media, you would think they are still in contention for playoff spots (the real playoffs, not the LIN Championship). They are competing, playing hard, do not appear to be "resting" players just to lower their odds of winning.

I don't know if as we get closer to the end of the season, some teams will go into a full blown tank, but if they do, I also wonder how the commissioner will respond if they are too blatant.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Everybody knows how I feel about tanking. What I'm seeing right now is "learning" - we're not just going out there and dogging it. We're allowing the kids to get a better feel of the game against top caliber opponents. We still utilize a bit of the veteran presence, which I think is valuable too.

Bottom line, I enjoyed the hell out of the TWolves game. And I'm honestly enjoying this thread!

Everybody knows how I feel about tanking. What I'm seeing right now is "learning" - we're not just going out there and dogging it. We're allowing the kids to get a better feel of the game against top caliber opponents. We still utilize a bit of the veteran presence, which I think is valuable too.

Bottom line, I enjoyed the hell out of the TWolves game. And I'm honestly enjoying this thread!
We don’t want the players to tank it’s the front office but games like last night are perfect example of what should happen. I’ll take 3-4 more wins at home though

Latest LIN standings (2/12/18)

Kings........17.....38.....--....…0.691
Suns.........18.....40.....1…..…0.690
Hawks.....18.....39......1..……0.684
Mavs........18.....39......1-...….0.684
Magic...... 18.....38..... 1 ……0.679
Grizzlies....18....37.....1….…0.672
Nets..........19.....39.....2….…0.672
Bulls.........20.....36.....3….…0.643
Knicks......23.....35.....6….…0.603

* In Win Column

The only significant change is the Bulls win dropped them a full game further back and they now sit 3 games back by themselves.

In the lone head-to-head competition, the Magic fell to the LIN against the Bulls. The Bulls were on a roll and have still LINNED 8 of the last 10 but ran into a buzz saw as the Mavs are also 2 – 8 in their last 10 games. Mavs hold 1 game back of the Kings in that 5-way log jam.

The Knicks are still hanging tough despite their accumulated 23 wins. They managed another LIN against the 76ers are staying in the running as a dark horse contender or at least a spoiler role for a top 5-pick.

Nets also held serve with the LIN against the Clippers and coupled with the Bulls loss are now by themselves 2 games back.

Suns without Booker don’t even have to try to achieve the LIN. The Suns were so inept against the Warriors that Kerr turned the timeout huddles over to the players. If Booker is off any length of time they may have the inside track for the LIN Championship.

The key game tonight is Kings at Mavs. The big question, how will Vlade and Joerger find a way to deprive the Kings LIN fans of their entitled LIN? A win by the Kings and there will really be a logjam for the top spot.

Hawks play at the Bucks and you would assume the Hawks will get back on the LIN side of the win-lin column.

All the other LIN competitors are idle, tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.