Bill Simmons thinks we won't make the playoffs this year...

And he thinks Houston won't make it either...

this is the kings part of the entire Page 2 Western Conference preview.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
10. Sacramento
Can't you see the "What's wrong with the Kings?" story in Sports Illustrated coming in about six weeks? The full-page picture of C-Webb screaming at a ref, along with the headline, "ROYAL PAINS" or "KINGS OF DYSFUNCTION"? These guys have just been together a little too long.

A quick recap: Peja has been demanding a trade since Vlade left. C-Webb missed 102 games over the past 3 seasons, can't jump anymore and still took the time to blast his teammates this summer. He's a delight. There isn't a more untradeable guy in the league. Also, the Bibby-Jackson leadership issue has never been entirely resolved. Doug Christie is still around, which means Mrs. Christie is still around. Rick Adelman's "Ultimate Adelman: The 25 Most Memorable Playoff Collapses of the Last 15 Years" is being released by NBA Entertainment this Friday. And if that's not enough, the Maloofs are bitching about a new arena.

You know what? I feel good about this one. That was easy.

(Where's the old guy and the blonde lady from "The Apprentice" when I need them?)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, it's easy to spot the errors in that.

Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - knows it's a Bibby-Bobby issue, not a Bibby-Jackson issue.

I mean, geez. Their fights have become legend around Arco, right? Bibby! No, Bobby!

Bibby!

Bobby!

Bibbity-bobbity-boo!!!

Who ever lists "Mrs. Christie is still around" as one of the reasons why we won't make playoffs looses all/any credibilty in my opinion.

Will people leave DC alone for godsake?! Funny that tha's the only flaw people can find in DC :)

Funny how nobody questioned his credibility when he picked us to win it two years ago.

Simmons is smart, and he shows a fan-base outside of Kingsfans, where Chris Webber isn't a 'complex, versatile superstar', rather a cancerous loser. I'd also be willing to guess that Bill Simmons of ESPN's comment about Webber being untradeable holds more weights than the comments of people on this board.

Simmons has made a lot of good NBA observations and predictions over the years, he's not being funny so he could be over-the-top like Barkley or Walton, he's being funny because he's a funny guy, and that's why so many people read his columns.

I think the Kings will make the playoffs this year, with the 5th seed at best or 7th at worst. That said, it's not unreasonable to argue they won't make it at all.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Boy, I wish we still had those threads because (if I recall) a number of people voiced comments like "Well, that's nice to read, but it is Simmons..."

Obivously there are fans of his types of writing, just like some people think Jim Rome is witty, clever, etc.

Simmons can't be real close to the Kings situation, or he wouldn't have made the Bibby-Jackson comment. Or do you think there IS a question about who our starting PG is?

I don't remember who ever picks whom to win what, because it never matters. Exactly zero 'basketball analysts' picked the Pistons to win it last season. I'd be willing to bet that Joe Dumars called it a long shot this time last year, especially with what the Lakers were looking like at the beginning of the season.

Beyond that, it isn't about Chris Webber at all. It's about someone taking digs at the Kings and providing no substantiation for his claims. At all, whatsoever. His opinion is no more valuable than the opinion of the fans who follow and involve themselves in the everyday goings-on of the team.

Furthermore, what the hell is "the Bibby-Jackson leadership issue," and what the hell does Jackie Christie have to do with the way the Kings play basketball?

Exactly.

The man is paid to poke fun at the NBA, kiss the feet of the superstars that ESPN and David J. Stern want glorified, and sprinkle a few facts in between to placate those hardcore basketball fans who might check in on his articles once every blue moon. He doesn't do the job of a credible basketball analyst; he writes a comic strip. And even if he was a "credible basketball analyst", the "credible basketball analysts" are rarely right. I give you Peter Vescey as an example. Remember that we were supposed to get beat by the Mavs in 2002 and 2004, and we were supposed to get swept by the Lakers and beat handily by the Wolves? Remember how the Spurs were a dynasty in the making last spring until their season came crashing down around them as the Lakers kicked their butts back and forth between Los Angeles and San Antonio for four straight games? Remember how the Lakers were supposed to eat the Pistons for lunch in the Finals? Remember how we were supposed to struggle to be above .500 at the start of last season without Chris Webber? Need I go on?

Quite simply (and I speak for no one but myself here), Bill Simmons can take his opinion and shove it where the sun don't shine, because it means nothing to me. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Last edited:
Speaking of Jim Rome - just heard him this morning barbecue the Kings and serve 'em with potato salad. Another example of the media overexaggerating situations so that it seems they have something profound to say...

As far as Bill Simmons goes - tough not to like this guy's writing if not his opinions... most of the time he has seemed pretty accurate in his readings, without having to overexaggerate.

P.S. too lazy to pull up dictionary.com... exaggerate? exxagerate? lol...

VF21 said:
Boy, I wish we still had those threads because (if I recall) a number of people voiced comments like "Well, that's nice to read, but it is Simmons..."

Obivously there are fans of his types of writing, just like some people think Jim Rome is witty, clever, etc.

Simmons can't be real close to the Kings situation, or he wouldn't have made the Bibby-Jackson comment. Or do you think there IS a question about who our starting PG is?
From my own observations, Bill Simmons is the most popular sport writer today, he gets more attention and space on that ESPN site than any other writer. When he is openly disliked or ignored, it's a minority opinion. Maybe it was different two years ago, I don't recall, but I'd bet against it.

About the Bibby-Bobby thing, I assume he was alluding to contract talk, and that both were being mentioned in the Shaq trade rumor. There are always those who think Bobby should start, and he's mentioned he would like to start in this league before he retires. That's pretty lame "tension" though. Either he was being vague about keeping and satisfying Bobby when his contract is up and possibly trading Bibby, or he knew something we didn't. Probably the former.

And I don't care for Jim Rome and rarely watch his show, but my understanding is that he is more loud and obnoxious than intelligent and funny to attract fans. Simmons isn't really like that. What's most appealing about him is he says what a lot of people are thinking, but has the means to communicate it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'll confess to not reading a lot of Simmons' stuff unless it's posted here...

So my comments could well be tainted by only seeing him constantly poke fun at the Kings.

To be fair, I should read more of his stuff before making a blanket comment about his writings... and I'll starting doing that.

Superman,

You're right about the predictions being meaningless, the Pistons being a case-in-point, but this is just about discussion and thought, not anything serious. My point was that people are just calling his work trash when two years ago they were eating it up, because it happened to favour them. It's just a sports article, who cares what they say. He's not saying it to change the world, just an opinion.

At all, whatsoever. His opinion is no more valuable than the opinion of the fans who follow and involve themselves in the everyday goings-on of the team.
Well, he really is just a fan... except a fan who gets to talk to NBA insiders here and there, like David Alridge and other ESPN reporters for example. That might not give him any more insight into something like how a season will unfold, but it's still gives him an edge. Maybe there is more to the 'untradeable' comment, maybe Adelman is a lame duck. Remember he was the one who reported the Boston-LA trade.

I agree that writers are wrong, they've screwed up in the past, etc., but you shouldn't take it this seriously. It's just for discussion, it's not a memo he's sending to every NBA team telling them how many games to win.

I hate Rome, i stopped listening to him, but for some reason my local radio has his show on during the time i drive to work. I dont want to listen to him but i dont have any other sports radio available :(

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
peja16 said:
From my own observations, Bill Simmons is the most popular sport writer today, he gets more attention and space on that ESPN site than any other writer. When he is openly disliked or ignored, it's a minority opinion. Maybe it was different two years ago, I don't recall, but I'd bet against it.

About the Bibby-Bobby thing, I assume he was alluding to contract talk, and that both were being mentioned in the Shaq trade rumor. There are always those who think Bobby should start, and he's mentioned he would like to start in this league before he retires. That's pretty lame "tension" though. Either he was being vague about keeping and satisfying Bobby when his contract is up and possibly trading Bibby, or he knew something we didn't. Probably the former.

And I don't care for Jim Rome and rarely watch his show, but my understanding is that he is more loud and obnoxious than intelligent and funny to attract fans. Simmons isn't really like that. What's most appealing about him is he says what a lot of people are thinking, but has the means to communicate it.
Simmons is popular because he's often funny, not because of he can tell his *** from a hand grenade.

this one isn't even worth analyzing. He's just throwing in any excuse he can dig up (Bibby/Bobby? Christie's wife?? come on Bill) to try to justify the real bug up his ***: As I'm sure you are well aware, Bill Simmons absolutely HATES Chris Webber. Which is probably why you like him. But this column has little to do with the Kings, and everyhing to do with Simmons opinion on Webber again and again and again.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
peja16 said:
... My point was that people are just calling his work trash when two years ago they were eating it up, because it happened to favour them...
Who are these imaginary people who were eating up what Simmons wrote? Not on this site, they weren't; we've always called Simmons a dim bulb around here...

peja16 said:
Superman,

You're right about the predictions being meaningless, the Pistons being a case-in-point, but this is just about discussion and thought, not anything serious. My point was that people are just calling his work trash when two years ago they were eating it up, because it happened to favour them. It's just a sports article, who cares what they say. He's not saying it to change the world, just an opinion.
I've always called his work trash. His prediction two years ago may have been more favorable to me as a Kings fan, especially seeing as how I picked the Kings myself to win at the start of the season. That doesn't mean that I consider him to be a credible sports writer. He's a joker, and his opinions don't mean squat to me.

Well, he really is just a fan... except a fan who gets to talk to NBA insiders here and there, like David Alridge and other ESPN reporters for example. That might not give him any more insight into something like how a season will unfold, but it's still gives him an edge. Maybe there is more to the 'untradeable' comment, maybe Adelman is a lame duck. Remember he was the one who reported the Boston-LA trade.

I agree that writers are wrong, they've screwed up in the past, etc., but you shouldn't take it this seriously. It's just for discussion, it's not a memo he's sending to every NBA team telling them how many games to win.
And again, tell me the last time David Aldridge and his cohorts were right about something. These are the same people who touted the Lakers of last season as the greatest team ever, then jumped on San Antonio's ship when they had them 2-0, then jumped back to the Lakers' ship when they dismissed the Spurs, and are now celebrating the Pistons for being the exact opposite of the Lakers last season.

His comment about Webber being untradeable is spot on. From one perspective (Webber has no value given his salary and injuries) to the other (you don't trade a talent like Webber for lesser players), Webber is not tradeable. But it has a lot less to do with his interview with Martin McNeal than it has to do with basketball issues, like his health and the money he's owed. So I'll give Simmons half a point there.

But my point is that I don't take any of them seriously, insiders or not. Most of them are too busy postulating on what the Lakers are going to do this season to effectively cover anyone in the NBA, including the small market Sacramento Kings.

Bricklayer said:
Simmons is popular because he's often funny, not because of he can tell his *** from a hand grenade.
Whatever that means. Do you think he expects his butt to explode as he tkes a dump? Or that his butt could shrivel up and somehow detach from his body, and be able to fit in his palm?

That has to be one of the worst anaolgies in history. Even on a "totally random" scale, it's still absurd.

this one isn't even worth analyzing. He's just throwing in any excuse he can dig up (Bibby/Bobby? Christie's wife?? come on Bill) to try to justify the real bug up his ***: As I'm sure you are well aware, Bill Simmons absolutely HATES Chris Webber. Which is probably why you like him. But this column has little to do with the Kings, and everyhing to do with Simmons opinion on Webber again and again and again.
From what I've noticed, he doesn't carry an opinion from year-to-year. That either decreases or increases his credibility, depending on how you look at it.

I think he sees Webber the way the majority of people do. He was superb in the WCF, but wasn't clutch, or a true leader (Bibby), or maybe not even our best player. He described him as an "enigma" or something like that, which is what Webber is reguarly described as. The year where he went down vs Dallas, he complimented him greatly, and send we would win the title on the backs of him and Bibby.

Then last year, he instuled him, the way everybody outside of Kings nation did. Now, he is saying what plenty of people are saying, not what Kingsfans.com spins. That's hardly "hating".

And for the record, he also regularly insults Peja Stojakovic's playoff performance. I don't know why you need to bring my credibility into the equation, but if I am the Peja homer you claim I am, I shouldn't be supporting him.

And the "bug up his ***" comment is also just dumb, and more about you needing to look tough that make any real contribution. He is NEVER angry. The anti-Rosen. I have NO idea where you come up with this.

Mr. Slim and Superman,

I'll take your word for it that you both didn't care for simmons, even when he was pro-Kings. My memory says that most people agreed and respected the author. I could be wrong.

peja16 said:
Whatever that means. Do you think he expects his butt to explode as he tkes a dump? Or that his butt could shrivel up and somehow detach from his body, and be able to fit in his palm?

That has to be one of the worst anaolgies in history. Even on a "totally random" scale, it's still absurd.
Okay so anyways this is my last day at Apple so I can get a less-paying, permanent job that offers medical benefits, overall a pretty depressing day...

But this reaction to Brick's analogy just about turned my day around... Thanx peja16

I like Simmons' columns, including this one.

They are intentionally written to be humorous, and it is obvious (or should be) that he isn't trying to get every fact straight. Unlikely some writers who print distorted facts or hand-me-down rumors, his don't bother me because I know going in that I'm not reading his column for real analysis. I'm simply looking for a fun article and a different perspective.

Also, unlike some writers who think insults are the only thing that is funny, he generally provides a good mixture of positive and negative remarks. He does have players he likes and those he dislikes, and as a Webber fan it is never fun to read rants against him (or any other King), but I don't need every column I read to agree with my opinions on everything.

When he writes about things I know a little about, and I know that he is likely wrong or misinformed, I just shrug and keep reading. It would be nice if he was perfectly accurate, but few columnists are, so oh well. Besides, he is remarkably consistent because he is just writing what he honestly thinks, instead of trying to come up with stories where none exist.

As for Jim Rome, well, I still haven't gotten over the Jim Everett childishness, is he better now?

My observations on reading Simmons for the past three years:

1) He isn't a fan of CWebb. Never really has been, and never really will be, but he will pay him a compliment if it is due.

2) He isn't a fan of Adelman. I think he made a reference in a Hoosiers (the movie) review to the coach of the big school that lost to Hickory as "Rick Adelman's black grandfather", or some such (by the way, I thought that quote was hilarious).

3) Being a national writer, when he talks about teams other than the Celtics, he is painting with a broad brush.

4) Humor is his greatest asset, but it's not as if he doesn't watch just as much, if not more, NBA basketball than just about anyone on this site. Doesn't necessarily mean he is more qualified to talk about certain issues more than members of this forum, but does mean that he is at least making an effort.

Has he been wrong about things in the past? Sure --- saying Jay Williams would be better than Yao, etc. But which of us hasn't been wrong when predicting sports?

And, while some of his assertions about the Kings may be incorrect, is it that far of a stretch after watching the Kings play in the first two games to call his prediction crazy? The Kings could end up missing the playoffs in the West even if they win 40+ games, and the team that played the last two nights looked like it might struggle to do even that.

Wow this didnt take long , you guys have reached mid-season depression form, lol guys relax, we had to start 2 games on the road,for thier home and season openers, we were in both games till late fourth , our players showed up but in differnt times and games, we had to face 2 of the best big men in the game that cant be guarded one on one, ignore these fake *** sports writers, they hate on us too much because they have nothing esle to right about.

I think I listened to different games. Kings weren't in either game in the third quarter, made the customary NBA run in the fourth quarter, but in each case have to take getting within 7 or 8 points as a moral victory.

And, perspective has something to do with the way we played...Don Nelson made some remark about getting an "easy" game in New Orleans' home opener b/c his team had already played once. I don't think the Kings approached their second game with the same type of attitude (and the opponent has something to do with it, but not all to do with it).

It wouldn't bother me too much if the Kings missed the playoffs. For one, they'd get a lottery pick. That could turn out really well.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kev.in said:
It wouldn't bother me too much if the Kings missed the playoffs. For one, they'd get a lottery pick. That could turn out really well.
I've lived through the days of the Kings not making the playoffs. You do not want to go down that path, honest...

Seriously.