Bibby Trade Proposal

I found this on a Wolves fan site...not saying I'm personally advocating such a deal, but it is interesting nonetheless:

Kings Trade:
Bibby
19th Pick

Wolves Trade:
Ricky Davis
Marko Jaric
Eddie Griffin
6th Pick

With the 6th pick the Kings can selected Marcus Williams, and trade Bonzi (and hopefully KT) for a tough big guy.

This gives the Kings a very balanced, and suddenly deep, team for 2006-2007.

Miller
Tough Big Guy (either a PF or C, Miller plays the other position)
Artest
Davis
Williams

K-Mart
Jaric
SAR
Garcia
Griffin

^I don't see much point in this trade. The Kings pick up two head cases and a bad contract, and the #6 spot in the draft is probably one or two spots away from getting Thomas/Bargnani/Aldridge. And what about Bonzi?

The point of the Garnett trade is to fill a gaping hole. This opens up a big hole and gives us the types of players we already have.

I love Bibby but truthfully Mike is not going to be traded unless Geoff believes he is going to be able to get an up and coming point guard or he has a move in the works to get a top point guard in the league. Mike is probably the best player that has never made an all star game. Since Billups made it last year. We're not going to trade him for the Wolves garbage.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I found this on a Wolves fan site...not saying I'm personally advocating such a deal, but it is interesting nonetheless:

Kings Trade:
Bibby
19th Pick

Wolves Trade:
Ricky Davis
Marko Jaric
Eddie Griffin
6th Pick

With the 6th pick the Kings can selected Marcus Williams, and trade Bonzi (and hopefully KT) for a tough big guy.
Couple of basic problems with that idea. Primarily, it's only good from the TWolves point of view which is probably why they're discussing.

In addition, we CANNOT simply trade Bonzi. He's a free agent. We can do a SIGN and TRADE, but if Bonzi doesn't want to go to the other team he simply won't sign. Bonzi is NOT going to go to a team that isn't a contender. And a contender is not going to trade away a tough big guy to us for Bonzi and Kenny Thomas.

Bibby is not going to be traded away for chump change.

Couple of basic problems with that idea. Primarily, it's only good from the TWolves point of view which is probably why they're discussing.

In addition, we CANNOT simply trade Bonzi. He's a free agent. We can do a SIGN and TRADE, but if Bonzi doesn't want to go to the other team he simply won't sign. Bonzi is NOT going to go to a team that isn't a contender. And a contender is not going to trade away a tough big guy to us for Bonzi and Kenny Thomas.

Bibby is not going to be traded away for chump change.
I agree with most of what you're saying, but Bonzi has never really said he cares about playing for a contender. He'll follow the $$$.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but Bonzi has never really said he cares about playing for a contender. He'll follow the $$$.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/14252430p-15068549c.html

Series notes: Wells says ball in Kings' court
By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, May 6, 2006

Bonzi Wells, who most would agree was the top player in this series, is not sure where he'll be next season, though he greatly favors a return to the Kings.

"Like I told them when I got here, I don't want to move anymore," said Wells after he scored 17 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in Friday night's 105-83 series-ending loss to the Spurs

"If I am not here next year it's totally up to them. I want to be here, I want to do everything it takes to be a King for the rest of my career but if they want to go in a different direction I understand."

Kings coach Rick Adelman, who isn't even sure if he'll be back, would like to see Wells stay and continue to excel.

"Obviously, the way he's played, he's definitely changed a mind-set. If there was a mind-set someplace else, he's changed it," Adelman said. "It's a good balance with him and Ron (Artest) and Kevin (Martin). I like the mix of this team. But free agency is such a crapshoot because there's so many people involved - his agent, ownership, other teams. I certainly appreciate everything he's done (this season), and I think it's a very workable situation."

Earlier in the week, Wells said it was important that he play for a title-contender.

"The only thing you can worry about is winning championships, because that's what you are going to be remembered by," he said.

About the writer: The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at jdavidson@sacbee.com.

edited for brevity, but I think its safe to say he wants to win more than get a fatter paycheck

that trade only works from a fantasy perspective. sure, we get some youth and some guys who can fill a stat sheet, but nothing to move us closer to winning a champsionship. maybe it would make sense if we were looking to rebuild, but that can't be the goal right now. it has to be all about winning a ring.

Yeah, like I said it isnt a trade that I would do if I was the Kings...but what I found most interesting about it is that there seem to be more rumours than normal floating around about Bibby. Probably just pure speculation from bored and desperate Wolves fans though:p

I agree with the popular sentiment on this board, that Bibby should remain as a leader of the team (unless he gets the Kings a KG level player). I'm interested though: which (if any) point guards in the league would you consider trading Bibby for?

You're not going to get an equal point guard talent wise if you trade Bibby. You won't be able to get a Nash, Billups, Parker etc. The only way I see Mike being traded is if it were for a superstar and even then I can see the Kings being hesitant to give Mike plus another starter. That would leave us with a big hole at the PG which I dont want to see Hart taking over. A lot of people will be quick to say, hey we can always get Mike James. The truth is Mike James is already 31. Mike is 28 and I bet anything that we will see his playmaking ability this next year.

You're not going to get an equal point guard talent wise if you trade Bibby. You won't be able to get a Nash, Billups, Parker etc. The only way I see Mike being traded is if it were for a superstar and even then I can see the Kings being hesitant to give Mike plus another starter. That would leave us with a big hole at the PG which I dont want to see Hart taking over. A lot of people will be quick to say, hey we can always get Mike James. The truth is Mike James is already 31. Mike is 28 and I bet anything that we will see his playmaking ability this next year.
So the Kings shouldn't have traded Mitch Richmond for Webber because it left a hole at shooting guard? I mean, the starting shooting guard the next year was Tariq Abdul-Wahad. The Kings went from Mitch Richmond to Tariq Abdul-Wahad. Terrible trade, right?

The point of trades isn't to upgrade the talent at the position of the player you're trading. The point is upgrading the overall talent level of the team.

but what I found most interesting about it is that there seem to be more rumours than normal floating around about Bibby. Probably just pure speculation from bored and desperate Wolves fans though:p
Bibby's our most valuable, non-Artest piece. Of course there are a lot of rumors about him.

I'm not saying that a trade including Bibby is not possible. The richmond trade was something different we got a very good player out of the trade. What I'm saying is that we are not going to trade him for some other teams garbage. I also do not see Geoff trading him to the Wolves unless KG is included. I still would rather have a Dwight Howard over a KG in the long run. I just think that KG is going to hit his decline in a year or 2.

I'm not saying that a trade including Bibby is not possible. The richmond trade was something different we got a very good player out of the trade. What I'm saying is that we are not going to trade him for some other teams garbage. I also do not see Geoff trading him to the Wolves unless KG is included. I still would rather have a Dwight Howard over a KG in the long run. I just think that KG is going to hit his decline in a year or 2.
But that really doesn't matter because our new window just opened and I'd say its of the 2-3 year variety, so that wouldn't hurt, but giving up Bibby is a tough one. I'd really like to see what this Ron Artest led-team can do.

Between KG or Dwight I would take KG right now if we kept the Bibby/Artest tandem intact.

Too bad Dwight Howard is untouchable.

So the Kings shouldn't have traded Mitch Richmond for Webber because it left a hole at shooting guard? I mean, the starting shooting guard the next year was Tariq Abdul-Wahad. The Kings went from Mitch Richmond to Tariq Abdul-Wahad. Terrible trade, right?

The point of trades isn't to upgrade the talent at the position of the player you're trading. The point is upgrading the overall talent level of the team.
Agreed. I do think that the position of which you do the trading of, in this case, PG, is far more valuable in the the Western Conf. to maintain some sense of stability at...which is why I think GP hasnt pulled the trigger on any deal involving Bibby, which I'm thinking there were at least a couple of phone calls to him inquiring about Bibby's availability. I think that if you trade your PG, you better have a damn good one in the waiting. I know times have changed, but remember when we traded Mike Woodson and Larry Drew away in 85'? We were searching for YEARS(even with drafting Kenny Smith), it sent our team in a tailspin for years, more than anything else...we had to live through the Rory Sparrow years, Travis Mays, Spud Webb(no offense Mr. Webb, you played your a** off for us)Anthony Johnson, Tyus Edney, etc. I think GP knows the value of his PG's...after all, he DID have a pretty good one that he held onto for quite a while in Portland, in Terry Porter.

Dwight Howard is getting ready to call the NBA his own. He is so young and so good that it is scary. He isn't even close to his full potential and he still is a walking double double. He'd be a triple double threat if surrounded by the right and perhaps better personnel. He is another KG in the making, except he can hang with the best of the centers and KG is somewhat limited due to height.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
7'1" I think. He's definitely longer than Howard. But Howard is already the beefier player, and will be far stronger in his prime.

In any case, talking about Dwight Howard is just the purest of fantasies. KG...KG could happen with somebody, someday. The Wolves are a catastrophe with a dying fanbase and an incompetent GM backed by a more incompetent owner apparently settling into an Elgin Baylor/Wes Unseld pattern with him (i.e. old great player given carte blanche to run the franchise foreever by his owner, despite being one of the worst in the biz).

Dwight Howard however...he's roughly as easy to acquire as LeBron or Wade. There is basically no package of players, picks, coaches, or cheerleaders you could offer to the Magic to make that deal. He's untouchable, and obviously so.

Last edited: