Bibby and Miami?

It was a passing mention about how the Heat was looking for a point guard and Riley thought about Bibby, but it didn't seem to be anything solid.

I was wondering if the wild speculation might suggest just who the Kings might want from Miami...

Thanks!
Didn't say, although Riley inferred that the asking price was too high. While Bibbys' struggling, he's not the kind of guy you give away cheap, in my book.

Here's the link

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16703020.htm

Scroll down a bit. Not subscriber.

POINT TAKEN? Riley said age and an occasionally inflamed Achilles' tendon are his only concerns with Gary Payton. And he said Jason Williams was ''at the top of his game'' before a slight abdominal tear stalled his momentum. That's why he doesn't intend on paying a big price to acquire a quality point guard.
Sacramento has been actively trying to trade Mike Bibby, but with three years and $40.5 million remaining on his contract, he falls under the pricey category that Riley is trying to avoid.
''I've thought about it to be honest, but there isn't anything out there that would be better than that that wouldn't extract a big price from us,'' Riley said.

Didn't say, although Riley inferred that the asking price was too high. While Bibbys' struggling, he's not the kind of guy you give away cheap, in my book.
This is the problem, you're overvaluing him. He's a great player but his fat contract lowers his value tremendously. This team needs to dump salary and dump it fast and Bibby would be a great start. with his 10+ million dollar contract.

You're not going to get anything for him. Just try to get some draft picks and expirings so you can generate some cap room for the future.

This is the problem, you're overvaluing him. He's a great player but his fat contract lowers his value tremendously. This team needs to dump salary and dump it fast and Bibby would be a great start. with his 10+ million dollar contract.

You're not going to get anything for him. Just try to get some draft picks and expirings so you can generate some cap room for the future.
he does have value. bibby is the ONLY clutch player we have. hes a good ball handler that makes sound decisions. he would be a huge upgrade for miami at the point guard position. he's a legit 2 or 3rd option on a team.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Who does the Heat have that would benefit the Kings? Kings need rebounding and athleticism in the middle and someone who warrents a double team to free up Keving and Bibbs.

Doleac? he is 6-11 and 280 and has been in league 8 years.

Earl Baron? he's 7-0 and 245 but Riley has hardly used him at all. Did come out of Memphis.....

Haslem? in a minute. he is 6-8 and 235 but is athletic and a real hustler-banger. But he is Heat leading rebounder at 8.6 plus 11 ppg. Makes $5.25 this year and under contract for 3 more years after this one. Bibbs makes $12.5M this year + two option years. hmmm. not gonna work without 3rd team.

Who does the Heat have that would benefit the Kings? Kings need rebounding and athleticism in the middle and someone who warrents a double team to free up Keving and Bibbs.

Earl Baron? he's 7-0 and 245 but Riley has hardly used him at all. Did come out of Memphis.....

Haslem? in a minute. he is 6-8 and 235 but is athletic and a real hustler-banger. But he is Heat leading rebounder at 8.6 plus 11 ppg. Makes $5.25 this year and under contract for 3 more years after this one. Bibbs makes $12.5M this year + two option years. hmmm. not gonna work without 3rd team.
no, we need picks and to get young. if/when we rebuild we're going to have to fill up a number of needs, not just the ones we have as of this moment.

it's not speculation, i've heard strong rumors from respectable sources that miami wants bibby a lot.
i think its been known that Miami are very interested in Bibby. Riley probably think Bibby can be acquire for cheap because of his horrible season. but thats a different story with Petrie.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Nothing has really changed unless Miami is pondering a three way trade. The only pieces Miami has for us are their #1 pick, Posey's ender, and then Dorell Wright. But even Wright is only of real value if we are also clearing up one or more bodies amongst the Ron, Cisco, Kevin and Salmons quartet. Haslem is a) too important for Miami, and b) not very good. He is the mildest sort of upgrade over a KT. Geoff might like him though as he's both small and has a little 15 foot jumper. :rolleyes: In any case, of much much more value if he's playing a role alongside Shaq or Zo than if you;re actually asking him to take care of your inside business.

And beleive it or not, I wouold nto be terribly surprised if wehn Riley talks about things being "too expensive" for the Heat, if he might not be talking about Wright, who I am sure they have penciled in as their SF of the future after Posey expires this offseason.

Last edited:

You still have to match under the salary cap, and I just don't see the deal with Miami straight-up. Maybe there's a three-way deal involving Bibby out there.

But be very careful when you make the declaration that a proven veteran who's going through a rough patch no longer has any value. How'd that Chris Webber trade work out?

Not saying the two situations are exactly alike or that I wouldn't trade Bibby, just that I wouldn't necessarily jump on the first offer that came along simply to dump his salary. You can always make a trade in the offseason, once the draft order is established, etc.

You still have to match under the salary cap, and I just don't see the deal with Miami straight-up. Maybe there's a three-way deal involving Bibby out there.

But be very careful when you make the declaration that a proven veteran who's going through a rough patch no longer has any value. How'd that Chris Webber trade work out?
That trade sucked and we're still sucking from it.

Not saying the two situations are exactly alike or that I wouldn't trade Bibby, just that I wouldn't necessarily jump on the first offer that came along simply to dump his salary. You can always make a trade in the offseason, once the draft order is established, etc.
I do hope, that if we must trade Bibby, we'll get better value and if we get expendable parts, they are truly expendable and not around taking up money and space for years.

While its pretty easy to see why Miami is looking for a PG, can you imagine Bibby playing WITH Shaq? :eek: :p

If we are trading Bibby, I'd like to see him get a chance at a ring. Playing alongside Wade and Shaq, he would get a chance and he wouldn't be expected to carry/lead the team.

Bibby is the perfect PG for Miami in their situation and I'll actually be more shocked if a trade isn't worked out between the Kings and Heat by Thursday. I think Riley thinks he can wait it out for the Kings to get more desperate to move Bibby, while Petrie won't budge from his proposal to the Heat.

In the end, I think Thursday we'll see

Mike Bibby
Jason Hart

for

Jason Williams
James Posey
Dorell Wright
Heat 2007 1st rounder

Bibby is the perfect PG for Miami in their situation and I'll actually be more shocked if a trade isn't worked out between the Kings and Heat by Thursday. I think Riley thinks he can wait it out for the Kings to get more desperate to move Bibby, while Petrie won't budge from his proposal to the Heat.
Desperation works both ways. There aren't that many quality PGs available right now and the Heat want to win now.

Shaq?:)

In the end, I think Thursday we'll see

Mike Bibby
Jason Hart

for

Jason Williams
James Posey
Dorell Wright
Heat 2007 1st rounder

If that happens... I will be almost as happy as the day we shipped peja to indiana for Ron. I find it hard to believe Bibby has this value... but this deal does make sense for both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Him...I like Wright, and Posey I believe is an ender. But Bibby for Williams? That would be kinda funny in a cyclical kinda way.

Didnt JWill leave Sac on bad terms? I wasnt watching much at the time but thats what ive heard.

I would be down to see that trade happen, im a big Bibby fan, but first off im a Kings fan, and i just wanna see us do something to move forward, we are stuck in a sticky situation and need a change.