Best-ever ALL-NBA team players - small forwards

Which FOUR of these players do you think are the best small forwards ever?

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We had 20 nominations for the position of small forward on the all-NBA team. The nominating committee has come up with their top 10 from those nominated. The top 10 vote getters are shown below.

Now it's time for you to vote for your TOP FOUR FINALISTS. Please do not vote for more than four names. The top four will go on to the next round, which will involve mixing them with the top four of the other categories to get the four best possible NBA teams.

Thanks!

Elgin Baylor
Larry Bird
Alex English
Julius Erving
Kevin Garnett
George Gervin
Lebron James
Dirk Nowitzki
Scottie Pippen
Dominique Wilkins

Feel free to discuss why you made the selections you did.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
As of right now I can only vote for Larry. Down the road possibly LeBron too. Some of the other guys are unquestionably all time greats but its hard to put them in the same class and give them an "equal" vote.

I must respectfully disagree. I think # 3 should be ahead of #2. :p :D
No way. Number 3 was good and all, but he was no number 2 thats for sure.;)

I agree with a previous post. Nobody on that list is in Larry Legend's league. Sure they were very very good ball players but they were no Larry Bird.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Dirk and KG as SF? I guess I must have missed a previous discussion about this.
Both Nowitzki and Garnett played extensive minutes at SF early in their careers. Garnett started exclusively at SF during the Joe Smith years, and Nowitzki more or less played as a SF until the Mavericks drafted Josh Howard.

I don't think that either one of them belongs on this particular list, though.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Both Nowitzki and Garnett played extensive minutes at SF early in their careers. Garnett started exclusively at SF during the Joe Smith years, and Nowitzki more or less played as a SF until the Mavericks drafted Josh Howard.

It appears, even though they're on the list, they're not going to make it to the top 4 - at least in this category.
----------------------------
As far as the "Iceman", it's George Gervin.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The nominations for players in each category were held in late May and early June. This is the second stage of the process.

Rick Barry was not among the 20 names originally submitted in this category, but - somewhat ironically - two of his sons are on the original list for bench player consideration.

That's what I remembered. But shouldn't it matter more what they've played for the majority of their careers? Not that it's a huge deal or anything. Interesting how many recent players have been tough to pin down at one position: KG, Dirk, Marion (SF or PF?), Duncan, Amare (PF or C?), T-Mac, Pierce, LeBron (SG or SF?), Iverson (PG or SG?) ... etc

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
That's what I remembered. But shouldn't it matter more what they've played for the majority of their careers? Not that it's a huge deal or anything. Interesting how many recent players have been tough to pin down at one position: KG, Dirk, Marion (SF or PF?), Duncan, Amare (PF or C?), T-Mac, Pierce, LeBron (SG or SF?), Iverson (PG or SG?) ... etc
Don't ask me, son; I didn't make the list.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What's more interesting is that a lot of teams are looking more and more like a 2-3 instead of a 2-2-1. The traditional positions seem to be morphing into something else in a lot of cases.

As far as KG being on the SF list goes, I will accept initial blame/responsibility for that one, although since he's not winning I don't see a real problem. I guess I still view him as he was classified for years, especially in the virtual GM fantasy roles.

;)

Why's James have more votes than Baylor who's in the HOF? Guy's a great player, but he's only 3 yrs into the league. Grant Hill was a great player at that point too.

I don't think you can put Lebron on a list with more established vets and older players like Dr. J, Dominique, Larry Legend, etc. I voted for him based on what he has the potential to become, not what he is now.

My More Traditional Vote:

1. Elgin Baylor -- the original is always the best. The man revolutionized the position.
2. Larry Bird -- Up there with Stockton as the best white player of our day and with West as one of the most clutch.
3. Dr. J -- Unstoppable scorer above the rim, and clutch when the championship was on the line.
4. Dominique -- Unstoppable scorer from the wing and around the basket

Dirk would've been the only one of the current players I might think about letting crack this list right now had he lead Dallas to a championship, but he disappeared when it mattered!

I don't think you can put Lebron on a list with more established vets and older players like Dr. J, Dominique, Larry Legend, etc. I voted for him based on what he has the potential to become, not what he is now.

My More Traditional Vote:

1. Elgin Baylor -- the original is always the best. The man revolutionized the position.
2. Larry Bird -- Up there with Stockton as the best white player of our day and with West as one of the most clutch.
3. Dr. J -- Unstoppable scorer above the rim, and clutch when the championship was on the line.
4. Dominique -- Unstoppable scorer from the wing and around the basket

Dirk would've been the only one of the current players I might think about letting crack this list right now had he lead Dallas to a championship, but he disappeared when it mattered!
No way in hell is Baylor better than Bird. Thats insulting. Bird is unarguably the greatest forward of all time, no one else will ever come close. He revolutionized the whole game. Look at this video of Bird.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvo7__wwBU&search=larry bird best
Bird could do things that Baylor couldn't do in his dreams. Bird would absolutely own any player in today's game.

Last edited: