Best Big Man Pairings

1540571720527.png

It's interesting to see that Bagley paired with a good 3pt shooter (Labissiere/Bjelica) is our most effective pairing thus far. It gives me hope for a Giles/Bagley pairing in the future if Giles is able to find a consistent 3pt shot and adjust to the speed of the game.

There's no surprise to see Cauley-Stein towards the top of these rankings. However, it's interesting to see that his worst pairing (other than having someone like Shumpert, Jackson, etc. play PF) is Bagley. The teams effectiveness with Cauley-Stein on the floor is at it's best with a better shooter on the floor (Bjelica, Giles, Labisisere).

In a nut shell...
- Bagley is best when he has a shooter on the floor next to him
- Cauley-Stein is best when he has a shooter on the floor next to him
- Giles is best with a full-sized C next to him

In a nut shell...
I think this demonstrates the quandary the Kings are in with respect to their big man rotation. The only way those three can be effective together in the long term is if two of them develop a respectable 3-point shot. That likely means Bagley and Giles are really going to have to put in work from beyond the arc, in addition to the work they'll need to put in to be dependable on defense.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'd actually like to see Skal sub as center (with Bagley at PF) in this Wizard game. He shouldn't get bullied by anybody that the Wizards play at center, and like the stats show above, he could be an asset with Bagley on the floor, and vice-versa.

I think it's way too early to be able to tell what pairings work the best together. They've only played a few games so a good run here or there can be the difference in being the best pairing or being at the bottom.

Would be fun to revisit this every 10 games or so and see how it goes throughout the year.

Makes sense to me. Already mentioned couple of times that spacing with WCS/Bagley does not look good as both seem to want to be in the same spot. They both have been excellent one on one when the help cannot collapse. I am hoping Bagley will develop the 3 so that he can be used with WCS.

View attachment 8383

It's interesting to see that Bagley paired with a good 3pt shooter (Labissiere/Bjelica) is our most effective pairing thus far. It gives me hope for a Giles/Bagley pairing in the future if Giles is able to find a consistent 3pt shot and adjust to the speed of the game.

There's no surprise to see Cauley-Stein towards the top of these rankings. However, it's interesting to see that his worst pairing (other than having someone like Shumpert, Jackson, etc. play PF) is Bagley. The teams effectiveness with Cauley-Stein on the floor is at it's best with a better shooter on the floor (Bjelica, Giles, Labisisere).

In a nut shell...
What's the minutes with these pairings?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Bagley needs to take more shots from deep, it's about confidence and repetition. He has good enough form to make that shot and it will only open up his driving game. Giles may be better suited to work the paint area with his floaters and mid-range jumpers but time will tell indeed. Fun to think about the possibilities.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Individually, only two players on the team have an offensive rating that's higher than their defensive rating. Bjelica and WCS. Bjeli's Ortg is 141, and his Drtg is 110. Willie's Ortg is 122 and his Drtg is 113. The worse rating differential is Giles whose Ortg is 62 and his Drtg is 112. The worse Drtg"s on the team are Buddy at 117, Yogi at 117, and Mason at 116. Bjeli has the lowest Dtrg on the team and Bagley comes in 2nd at 111.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Marvin needs to take that face up left hand jumper more often, it will open up the game for him. Koufos should be a lock at center pairing with either Giles / MBIII at PF

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on what I've seen I'd like to see Joerger stagger the frontcourt substitutions/rotations so that Bagley gets more minutes at C with Bjelica at PF and Giles gets more minutes at PF next to Willie.