Beno/Tyreke discussion - split from Slovenion team thread

gunks

Hall of Famer
Beno has it in him to be a pretty solid PG. I think that's why a lot of us are so frustrated with him.

Maybe having Tyreke here will light a fire under him.

Beno sucks like an over-achieving vacuum. However, I'm glad he'll get some practice before the season starts, because he'll be getting some valuable 5min/game off the bench, and he better not dissapoint :rolleyes:

Beno sucks like an over-achieving vacuum. However, I'm glad he'll get some practice before the season starts, because he'll be getting some valuable 5min/game off the bench, and he better not dissapoint :rolleyes:

Benos most likely going to start until the all star break... or until Tyreke looks comfortable enough to start at the point

Benos most likely going to start until the all star break... or until Tyreke looks comfortable enough to start at the point
If this was last season, I would tend to agree with you. However, Westphal has never been shy about playing his younger players. I think he will play whoever he believes to be the best player at PG, which I think will be Tyreke.

If he had been our coach last season, I bet that JT would have started most of the season at PF instead of Mikki Moore getting so much time.

If this was last season, I would tend to agree with you. However, Westphal has never been shy about playing his younger players. I think he will play whoever he believes to be the best player at PG, which I think will be Tyreke.

If he had been our coach last season, I bet that JT would have started most of the season at PF instead of Mikki Moore getting so much time.

Tyreke is definitely better, but the point guard position is the toughest position in the nba. I'm just not sure if Tyreke is ready enough as a point guard to start right away.

Tyreke is definitely better, but the point guard position is the toughest position in the nba. I'm just not sure if Tyreke is ready enough as a point guard to start right away.
I say put him in and let him learn. I felt last year going into the season that JT had already proven that he was a better player than Mikki, but he was held on the bench much too long IMO. I think he would have been better served if he had been the starting PF from day one. I don't want to see the Kings make the same mistake with Tyreke.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm in no hurry to see Tyreke start, per se, as long as he gets good minutes and the opportunity to play through some bad situations. I honestly think this whole starting thing is way overblown anyway.

I'd rather see Beno and Tyreke battle in training camp to earn the right to start the first few games. Let their play determine who gets the slot, much like they do in the NFL.

I'm in no hurry to see Tyreke start, per se, as long as he gets good minutes and the opportunity to play through some bad situations. I honestly think this whole starting thing is way overblown anyway.
Evans starts, end of story. If he can't beat out Beno we have SERIOUS problems.

I'd rather see Beno and Tyreke battle in training camp to earn the right to start the first few games. Let their play determine who gets the slot, much like they do in the NFL.
I'd hope that Rodriguez will get a bit of trying out, too, since there's really no reason not to.

Per 48 stats for Beno (last year) and Sergio (career avg)
----------------------Udirh--------------------------------Rodriguez
A/TO ratio--------2.16----------------------------------2.52
FG%---------------.461-----------------------------------391
3-pt %-------------.310----------------------------------.304
FT%----------------.820---------------------------------.759
pts-------------------16.9--------------------------------13.8
reb-------------------4.6-----------------------------------4.9
stl---------------------1.7----------------------------------2.0
assists--------------7.2----------------------------------11.0
TO--------------------3.3----------------------------------4.4

I hope you're wrong, or Westphal would be repeating the same mistake of coach Theus last year ( regarding Thompson and to a certain extent on Hawes. )

There is just no point of holding or delaying a #4 lottery pick's development that long, just so he can be comfortable enough to start. Start him within 5-10 games, so he learns to be comfortable as a starter ASAP. It is not as if we drafted a one-month old baby that it might do more harm to teach him prematurely how to walk. IMO, basketball-wise Evans is mentally and physically ready to start learning how to be a starter at NBA level. He's done this kind of transition at every level he played before and a lot of players have done it at the NBA level as well. There is no need to be overly cautious in his case.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I agree with VF21, this whole PG starting/not starting thing has gotten blown way out of proportion. Like it or not Beno has the NBA experience, 5 yr of it and Tyreke has only one year of college ball. If Westphal decides not to have PG oriented offense, like the Suns or Hornets or Nuggets, and goes with a more active offense or even a version of the triangle, then whose at PG matters less than who fits the overall scheme.

Beno likely will start as he has played with the projected starters. That doesn't mean Beno gets the minutes. Tyreke would go from 20 min to 25 to 30 min whether he starts or comes off the bench. Physically Tyreke is a much more physical and quick guard than Beno but that does not mean he is a NBA ready guard in the very beginning. Practical and wise is the decision I want from Westphal. What ever scheme works will get me excited. Who starts PG is not relevant but who makes the offense go is the more important point.

I hope you're wrong, or Westphal would be repeating the same mistake of coach Theus last year ( regarding Thompson and to a certain extent on Hawes. )
But Evans never played as anything but a SG until his last dozen or so college games. I don't think anyone's concerned with his NBA readiness, just his PG readiness. And in that respect, his situation is very unlike Hawes or JT, who had been playing their positions for years.

I don't know which way Westphal (or Gavin, or whoever is calling the shots) will go with it, but there are reasonable arguments for either approach... unlike starting Mikki over JT.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Didnt Tyreke say he played PG in HS?

I still think Reke is going to end up a ball dominant SG a la Roy/Wade/Kobe. If he is a star then thats fine, if he isnt then oh well...We got Salmons 2.0. Personally I think Reke has got a pretty high ceiling. We'll just have to wait and see.

Didnt Tyreke say he played PG in HS?

I still think Reke is going to end up a ball dominant SG a la Roy/Wade/Kobe. If he is a star then thats fine, if he isnt then oh well...We got Salmons 2.0. Personally I think Reke has got a pretty high ceiling. We'll just have to wait and see.
Agree.

Why? Beno hasn't earned **** has far as I'm concerned.

This is Reke's team now.
For the sake of his confidence and for the sake of us loyal fans who had to sit through that bull**** of a season, we better hear Havocs name announced November 2nd.

The NBA ain't a beauty contest boys:) The win/loss columns are the only thing that matters. Westphal is going to try and get W's like a NBA head coach should. The players should COMPETE for the minutes.

All that said I am thinking Tyreke's ability to beat his man and draw double teams will EARN him lots of minutes. If he starts, so be it.

Conversely if Beno or Sergio are producing at a high level or just mesh with the other Fellas in the starting unit and cause them to produce at a high level then they should get the minutes.

As Kings fans we should not care about the past. The Kings are starting at the bottom and the most important thing is going to be WINS:)

KB

Why? Beno hasn't earned **** has far as I'm concerned.

This is Reke's team now.
For the sake of his confidence and for the sake of us loyal fans who had to sit through that bull**** of a season, we better hear Havocs name announced November 2nd.

He never played a single minute in the league and this is his team now..hahahaha!
Tell me one Kings player who earned anything last year!

But Evans never played as anything but a SG until his last dozen or so college games. I don't think anyone's concerned with his NBA readiness, just his PG readiness. And in that respect, his situation is very unlike Hawes or JT, who had been playing their positions for years.

I don't know which way Westphal (or Gavin, or whoever is calling the shots) will go with it, but there are reasonable arguments for either approach... unlike starting Mikki over JT.
I think you misunderstood my post and I don't blame you. Maybe I wasn't clear enough on my explanation, or you probably did not read the whole post.

I don't have any objection if the under achiever Beno, or Sergio starts for the first 5-10 games, but not until the all-star games. That is just way too long of a delay to begin the actual on the job training of a 4th over-all draft pick Evans, who we drafted for the position we very much sucked last season. I agree Evans might not be ready yet as a point guard, but who cares if the alternative is having the same guy who failed misserably last season at that position. Well, I have to correct myself on my last sentence, because I am pretty sure the anti-Evans/Rubio supporter will.

This slow and overly cautious way of developing players is very much the same way coach Theus used for some reasons in developing Thompson and to a certain extent Hawes. You probably are one of the people who cried foul over the wrong approach.

Mikki/Beno, Thompson/Evans, and Theus/Westphal.

Back to the topic: thanks for the very nice update on Beno - Gvucko.

Last edited:
I agree Evans might not be ready yet as a point guard, but who cares if the alternative is having the same guy who failed misserably last season at that position. Well, I have to correct myself on my last sentence, because I am pretty sure the anti-Evans/Rubio supporter will.
I doubt that Beno's a very popular choice on either side of the divide. I'd imagine the frontrunner would be Sessions (if Geoff will stop sitting on his hands) or Rodriguez (if he won't). Either is a purer PG than Beno, Sessions is just much better overall, and neither of those guys have ticked Kings fans off the way that Beno has.
This slow and overly cautious way of developing players is very much the same way coach Theus used for some reasons in developing Thompson and to a certain extent Hawes. You probably are one of the people who cried foul over the wrong approach.
I think the positional thing makes it a little different in this case, but I definitely was one of those opposed to putting Mikki in front of the younger bigs.

Thanks for the clarification.

Im 90% sure Tyreke will start. The team with the worst record almost always starts their top draft pick. Also if it comes down to Tyreke and Beno battling for the starting spot, it will be no contest for Evans. Tons of turnovers or no, Tyrekes ability to get to the hoop will force the team to start him. I'll personally deliver a severed cows head to westphal while he sleeps if Tyreke doesnt start.

Last edited: