Beno reminds us why he's here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although this has been discussed in the Grizz thread, it seems inevitable after Beno's performance tonight that this topic needs its own space.

Beno runs the offense better than Tyreke. Whether Evans should come off the bench for Martin/Beno or start himself as SF or PG, I would like to see Beno get another chance at being the primary pg. The main problem with this is that if Evans can learn how to run the offense, why delay it? As for me, I'd rather have the W. So now we come back to getting Lins, as always. Which would you rather have?

Beno should keep coming off the bench no matter how great he plays, in my opinion. He started all last season and didnt perform well at all. I think the reason he has been playing so well is the fact that he now has to fight for his minutes

Good to see Beno return to form. He played loose out there. I think him and Evans are going to push each other and give us some good play from our PG position.

Since we are on the topic kudos to Evans for supporting Beno when he walked to mid court with him late game. This team is coming together.

K

Kingsguy881

Beno obviously plays best in a spot starter but majority bench role. Why change that. He plays well with the second unit, primarily with Noc. I don't see why we can't just leave well enough alone.

Do you think that when Parker had bad games when he was hurting and Beno was having good games that the Spurs fans came out and said they should start Beno over Parker?

I've never been part of the constantly bash Beno into the ground as silly over-kill. Yes, he has some flaws and consistency is one. That's the only reason I would question putting him back in as starting PG. He is a pure PG - the only one we have other than Sergio - and he's simply better than Rodriquez. I like that Beno seems OK with coming off the bench and Coach W has said he likes that the team can occasionally play him with Reke in the same back court based on match ups. All good problems to have as I see it with the BIG ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM - Kings lack of front court size and depth. Let's try to address that somehow and just give Beno 20 mins or so each night - maybe playing him at the end of games if it makes sense.

I can't argue that he may be better coming off the bench, but I'm pretty sure that Spurs fans would say to put Ginobili in if Parker was hurt. Also, Parker is a pure pg and Evans is not.

Beno has had shining moments before. He had one tonight. Consistency is what he needs, and so far that has not been shown. Until he has more performances like this one, he is nothing to get excited about.

And quite frankly, Beno seems to play better when there's a fire lit under him. 2 years ago that fire was a contract, today that fire is Tyreke and Sergio.

A

AriesMar27

granted i dont love beno, but he really should be at least given the chance to start this season. forcing tyreke to start at pg because beno plays well of the bench is stupid. thats like starting mason because casspi plays well off the bench and doesnt complain about not starting.

our best lineup is beno/martin/casspi/thompson/hawes... thompson gets the nod at pf by default. he is so foul prone that may, brockman and thomas will get minutes...

evans would probably ball out of his mind if he came off the bench.... which may be a good thing. our starting lineup now consists of martin and 4 other dudes who cant shoot the bal very well. thats not going to win games. you win by scoring more points than the other team. we cant do that with evans missing layups, may missing open jumpers and mason just taking up space on the court. martin wants to score and he can. hawes wants to score and he can. casspi wants to score and he can. evans wants to score but he keeps missing layups and cant/wont dunk. casspi dunks... martin tries...

lets try something new, something so obvious that we might win a couple of games in the process... play our best players at each position. unfortunately for evans martin is a better sg than he is and beno is a better pg than he is... i wouldnt even care if nocioni started at sf, anything would be better than mason.

NO.... you start your best player... That is Tyreke without question.... he had one good game... one! Luckily you're not the coach.

Tyreke needs the minutes to learn period... can't learn if you don't play. He has court vision the rest will come with experience and knowing his teammates better.

granted i dont love beno, but he really should be at least given the chance to start this season. forcing tyreke to start at pg because beno plays well of the bench is stupid. thats like starting mason because casspi plays well off the bench and doesnt complain about not starting.
While I see your point - it's not the same thing. Tyreke starting is building on potential for the future and he is productive to an extent - you also do not draft a player at number 4 and bench him for a overpaid reserve who would come off the bench on any other team.

And yes, Mason sucks and should be benched for ANYONE (Cisco, Noc, Donte, Omri...)

Exactly... it's not like he is hurting the team out there. He is holding his own for a rookie. What I like about what Tyreke is that he is trying to learn the pointguard position. The concerns with him were his tunnel vision. The guy has the talent to get a shot off on the drive but he is chosing to use his drive to set up players.

Any benefit Beno gives on offense... Tyreke will MORE then make up for it on defense and rebounding... But I guess that is not important here.

A

AriesMar27

thats the problem that we inherited when we drafted evans... but i dont see how he will lose out on anything by coming off the bench. he may produce better numbers if he has fewer responsibilities.... look at beno tonight. came off the bench as a spark plug and his game took off from there. once he proved that he was a threat offensively his passing took over. he knew when to shoot and when to pass which is something that evans just doesnt have yet.

if a superscrub like beno is better at running an offense than you then you shouldnt be starting.

No don't start him, he's turning into a good spark off the bench who can run the offense. Tyreke does a good job on defense and isn't playing too badly anyway. The line up changes I would make have nothing to do with Beno, leave him where he is, let him get comfortable with his role.

Beno should be better at running an NBA offense, he has been in the league for half a decade. Tyreke is learning, and there is no better way to learn than to learn from failing a few times.

He needs to play the big boys out there. and that comes in starter minutes.

A

AriesMar27

Exactly... it's not like he is hurting the team out there. He is holding his own for a rookie. What I like about what Tyreke is that he is trying to learn the pointguard position. The concerns with him were his tunnel vision. The guy has the talent to get a shot off on the drive but he is chosing to use his drive to set up players.

Any benefit Beno gives on offense... Tyreke will MORE then make up for it on defense and rebounding... But I guess that is not important here.
defense wins championships but offense wins regular season games. and going 0-4 from the floor is a damn shame. especially if 3 of those shots were layups... we need someone who knows how to play pg, not someone who is learning and may never actually learn it.

evans is a good player and he did a pretty good job in the beginning but with his horrible shooting we couldnt control the game. he plays so much like john salmons that its scary... dribbles too much and only passes when he cant finish at the rim... kinda ironic when you think about it.

What worries me is that Tyreke's innate decision making will never be as good as Udrih's. Something we might have to wait years to find out.

thats the problem that we inherited when we drafted evans... but i dont see how he will lose out on anything by coming off the bench. he may produce better numbers if he has fewer responsibilities.... look at beno tonight. came off the bench as a spark plug and his game took off from there. once he proved that he was a threat offensively his passing took over. he knew when to shoot and when to pass which is something that evans just doesnt have yet.

if a superscrub like beno is better at running an offense than you then you shouldnt be starting.
Dude hes 20 friggan years old and this is his 4th game as an NBA PG... while playing on a sprained ankle. He didnt run the offense perfectly but he was setting people up every chance he got. He was hitting the big men on the perimeter for open jumpers like mad and he was looking for kevin as much as he could.. we cant say that about any previous PGs we've had.
Hes learning the hardest position to learn and staying poised about it the whole time.
Beno is playing with a chip on his shoulder so it would be stupid to change that.

The problem with Beno hasn't been his skills or talent. He can shoot. He can pass. He can drive and finish around the rim well for a guy his size. But his biggest problem has been his decision making and consistency. Too often he makes rookie mistakes, like leaving his feet BEFORE he's decided an option, which leads to a turnover. Or trying to make an interior pass in traffic, as if the defenders weren't solid objects. He needs to be more patient and smart like tonight, because he has the tools to be a good PG.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Taking nothing away from Beno tonight, on good game doesn't erase all of last year, or the fact Tyreke is MUCH more talented. Tyreke is a rookie, and it will take time.

Remember, this is the same Beno that conned us into giving him a 5yr deal after playing surprisingly good his first year here.

0-4 is a disaster? A disaster? lol Come on man he makes his next 3 shots and he's damn near 50%

4 shot's aint quite a large enough sample size to make a statement like that dude... it was 4 shots. Yup and his freethrow was off aswell... short at that. Should tell you something... his ankle was not there.

You argue and argue about how he is not PG and does not Set up his teammates... yet he does that during the game.... Then if she scores you gripe about how he was not trying to be a pure PG but looking to score first.... so which one is it dude?

He's 20 freaking years old man.... this is his 4th game in the NBA lol. Do you realize that? He is holding his own out there... and he's a rookie... that's impressive.

Beno played well tonight... good for him he deserved his minutes. But the team was not handicaped out there with Tyreke a 20 year old rookie with a bummed ankle.

He had 4 assists to two TO's... I'll take that production out of a 20 year old rookie anyday.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
In general, its amazing to me how some on this forum are completely anti-Tyreke after he has played 3 games in the nba. Count tonight if you like, but obviously he tried to give it a go and his ankle was bothering him. Anyone who thinks Beno should start over tyreke becasue of this one game comes across to me as a "bandwagon" fan that doesn't know much about basketball.

And this pure pg stuff is a bunch of crap. Give tyreke some time. We can have that conversation at the end of the season, when by the way tyreke will still only be 20 yrs old.

Beno being startig PG would be terrible mistake. Dont get me wrong, he is a very good point guard, but his defense is not that good to be A test winner. He is playing good defense when he is guarding slow player, but when the fast player replaces the slow player, Beno forgets about defense and goes to help his teammates. We saw that tonight when he went to help Hawes and left Iverson totally open to take shots.
I like Evans, but playing him on point guard position is a disaster. He would be better on SF position and comming of the bench for kevin Martin.
That is what I think. Beno lacks defense, Evans lacks good shooting, K Mart lacks passing and rebounding, Hawes lacks rebounding and opening to Beno or any other PG, JT lacks good shooting and smart thinking.

This game was great, but this is just one game. It is pointless to gave a palyer a very good grade because of one night. But I personaly thin Beno+10, he did it everywhere just lacks defense.

Evans is a big boy.. He can still learn by coming off the bench. The fact right now is that Beno is a better PG than Evans, and the Kings have pretty much every game got off to a lousy start offensively. Maybe bringing in Beno to start will help the Kings not fall into a hole and Evans might be able to play better when relaxed.

exactly, hes the future - hes starting every single game for me. Every one - pure point guard or not, hes only going to get better with time at the PG

His shot does need to get better... and like he said they are working on it and it's a work in progress. He has much to learn and with his potential he needs to be on the floor to learn it.

Aries said we dont need someone that is trying to learn to be PG but we need one that already knows how to play one........ lol um... no if we were contenders for a freaking playoff spot... then you can make that argument.

IN case people don't know yet the only contention were in is for the worst record in the league. This is the time you take a gamble on a 6'4" 220LB wingspan of a powerforward player with incredible slashing abilities and solid court vision.

BECAUSE if that player turns out to be able to LEARN to run a team well enough that he is not a liability as a point guard then you have a nightmare on the floor for the opposing team.

This is his fourth game... we havent even begun to explore his potential to punish players in the post. That's why he's here.

And so far... Tyreke is far from a liability as a PG in only his 4th freaking game.... and that's why you start Evans over beno dude. Beno is a better NBA PG then Rubio for all we know... but im sure u'd be singing a different tune bout him though.

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

In general, its amazing to me how some on this forum are completely anti-Tyreke after he has played 3 games in the nba. Count tonight if you like, but obviously he tried to give it a go and his ankle was bothering him. Anyone who thinks Beno should start over tyreke becasue of this one game comes across to me as a "bandwagon" fan that doesn't know much about basketball.

And this pure pg stuff is a bunch of crap. Give tyreke some time. We can have that conversation at the end of the season, when by the way tyreke will still only be 20 yrs old.
and he still wont be a pg.... you can give him 100 games and he still wont be a pg... its not that he isnt talented, he's a good player. he needs to learn to walk before he can run an nba offense. learning to shoot and make layups wouldnt hurt either. all of that unnecessary dribbling is useless when he blows the layup. beno made his layups...

Status
Not open for further replies.