Ben Simmons

Philly’s been an enigma for years now. Simmons is having an off year. I’ve been seeing more trade rumblings than ever before.

As a KINGS fan, would you be interested in Simmons? And if so, could the KINGS realistically offer a package that Philly would consider that doesn’t include Swipa or Hali??

While Simmons production this season has dipped, he’s still a career 16/8/8 guy. And a very good defensive player.

Negatives are his perimeter and free throw shooting. But despite that I really, really like the idea of adding another high IQ player that is an exceptional passer. But is also a good finisher himself.

Would an offer of Buddy, Bagley and a future draft pick get a conversation going?

I know here at KF.com it’s seemingly popular to diss and devalue Buddy, but the guy is still an elite shooter that could fit in super well with Embiid and Tobias Harris. MB3 isn’t at Simmons level, but he could provide PHI with an athletic replacement for Simmons and is also still a young player with room for development.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
maybe before Kings got Hali but now the Kings would have no use for him considering he can't shoot outside the painted area. Philly does need to trade him though I think if they want to get over that hump. I'd like to see Beal get traded to Philly to pair up with Embiid.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think adding Simmons and subtracting Hield 3 point shooting and also Bagley is trending in the good way of 3 point shooting, we might replicate Philly’s problem of not enough spacing for Fox. Personally, I think if we did a big deal like this, I’d look for a wing Who can space or other piece.

the starting price would be Fox and Buddy and probably a pick, so this is pointless
Perhaps so. That’s why I’m asking. Depends upon what Philly wants. I mean, they need shooting. And Buddy has been rumored there for a year now.

No chance we’d include Swipa, and likely Hali either. But MB3 is young enough and gifted enough to warrant interest. IMO those 2 are enough to get a couple conversation started. Just don’t know how much beyond it would take.

I think adding Simmons and subtracting Hield 3 point shooting and also Bagley is trending in the good way of 3 point shooting, we might replicate Philly’s problem of not enough spacing for Fox. Personally, I think if we did a big deal like this, I’d look for a wing Who can space or other piece.
Solid points. But IMO the exceptional passing and playmaking makes up for some of the lack of shooting. Also the defense improves.

I’m more confident in finding or developing shooters later on than players with the skillsets of that potential core.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
Philly’s been an enigma for years now. Simmons is having an off year. I’ve been seeing more trade rumblings than ever before.

As a KINGS fan, would you be interested in Simmons? And if so, could the KINGS realistically offer a package that Philly would consider that doesn’t include Swipa or Hali??

While Simmons production this season has dipped, he’s still a career 16/8/8 guy. And a very good defensive player.

Negatives are his perimeter and free throw shooting. But despite that I really, really like the idea of adding another high IQ player that is an exceptional passer. But is also a good finisher himself.

Would an offer of Buddy, Bagley and a future draft pick get a conversation going?

I know here at KF.com it’s seemingly popular to diss and devalue Buddy, but the guy is still an elite shooter that could fit in super well with Embiid and Tobias Harris. MB3 isn’t at Simmons level, but he could provide PHI with an athletic replacement for Simmons and is also still a young player with room for development.
If this is all it took, you accept that deal in a heartbeat and laugh your way to a championship contending team with Fox/Simmons/Hali for the next 10+ years. People really like to harp on Simmons for his lack of shooting, but he's a top 5 defensive player in basketball, he's one of the best playmakers in basketball and is the best rebounding guard/wing in basketball by a significant margin.

If this is all it took, you accept that deal in a heartbeat and laugh your way to a championship contending team with Fox/Simmons/Hali for the next 10+ years. People really like to harp on Simmons for his lack of shooting, but he's a top 5 defensive player in basketball, he's one of the best playmakers in basketball and is the best rebounding guard/wing in basketball by a significant margin.
Of course it would take more, I was just asking if KINGS fans liked the idea of that potential core and whether Buddy, Bagley and a future pick would get a conversation started.

Re: your comments on Simmons and criticism of his shooting — I fully agree. Like Chris Webber, I am just wondering whether it’s possible to get a star level talent while he’s being undervalued because of said flaws and past team failures. It wouldn’t be cheap, but possibly less expensive than the price you’d typically pay.

Philly is at the top of the East right now, but if the status quo returns, we may see more smoke coming from there.

Plus people seem to forget that he was driving to the hoop on-demand and do whatever he sees fit for a while until he had to leave the post opened and space the floor for Embiid instead.

I'd take him in a heartbeat as long as we get to keep Fox and Ty.

Of course it would take more, I was just asking if KINGS fans liked the idea of that potential core and whether Buddy, Bagley and a future pick would get a conversation started.

Re: your comments on Simmons and criticism of his shooting — I fully agree. Like Chris Webber, I am just wondering whether it’s possible to get a star level talent while he’s being undervalued because of said flaws and past team failures. It wouldn’t be cheap, but possibly less expensive than the price you’d typically pay.

Philly is at the top of the East right now, but if the status quo returns, we may see more smoke coming from there.
I was discussing this in one of the game threads, don't forget that McNair and Morey are good friends and I bet they are on regular dialogue in general just keeping tabs on each other. Although the fact that they are doing so well currently with Seth Curry being their lead 3 pt scorer doesn't bode well with us giving them one of our more valuable assets in Buddy Hield. We shall see.

(EDIT: Upon further review, it seems that Seth Curry is in a slump recently... so who knows? haha...)

I really like Simmons a lot. But the game is headed towards the 3 ball and layups and little else. If the Kings have to give up Hield, and maybe another player like Bagley plus a number one, it cannot be viewed as a step forward. Simmons is a crummy shooter but a great basketball player. It makes no sense to give up 3 ball fire power for a guy that can't shoot it.