VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14261815p-15075308c.html

Whisenant works while he waits
By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:01 am PDT Tuesday, May 30, 2006

John Whisenant has done all he can.

The Monarchs' coach and general manager who keeps hearing he has been chosen as the Kings' coach returned from his Las Vegas job interview Sunday night, then arrived to the job he knows he has at 6 a.m. Monday. He began preparing for the Monarchs' game against Seattle on Wednesday and getting ready for a midday practice.

All indications remain strong Whisenant will be the next Kings coach, though Whisenant had not been given a verdict as of Monday evening. Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie did not return a call for comment.

But when and if Whisenant's hiring as the Kings' coach becomes official, he's well-prepared to address the mountain of doubt that will come with the selection. In fact, he already has begun. The man who jokingly referred to himself as "just a taller Maloof" has a long-standing relationship with the family of Kings co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof that has led to the perception he was their pick all along, though the view is not a new one.

Sources within the Kings organization said Whisenant's presence around the Kings always was noticed. His office window overlooks the practice court, and he frequently was seen observing Kings practice through the blinds or showing up at Arco Arena to watch games. In early December, when the Kings' home loss to Minnesota gave them a 7-10 record and talk of former coach Rick Adelman's tenuous status was growing, many noticed Whisenant sitting courtside and later stopping in at the postgame news conference.

Whisenant, who always has given Adelman high praise as a coach, said he never had his eye on the Kings job. When Whisenant sensed his presence was causing a stir, he stayed away from Kings games.

"With all of the controversy that started in the winter, I just stayed out of town," Whisenant said. "I stay in Albuquerque (N.M.) a lot anyway. But in previous winters, I liked to watch (Kings) games. And anytime there was a good long homestand, I'd come over here and do my Sacramento business.

"This winter, I came seldom just because of all of this controversy, and I didn't want to be any part of it. I didn't want (the Kings' coaches) feeling that I was in the way. It's a hard enough job."

Whisenant said there never was a grand plan to make him the next Kings coach.

"No, it wasn't (the plan)," Whisenant said. "It's Gavin and Joe, basically. I have never pushed them to do this. I have never ever really discussed it in all my years with them. I never said my life's ambition was to be an NBA coach. I understand the perception, but the perception is really not something that we have any control over."

While Whisenant's crowning basketball achievement is last season's WNBA championship with the Monarchs, questions loom regarding his ability to motivate NBA players. But Whisenant is confident in his ability, as is Kings director of player personnel Jerry Reynolds, the former Monarchs general manager who groomed Whisenant for the position.

"My feeling is that, besides a good basketball coach, he's a very smart person," said Reynolds, who has known Whisenant since the two were budding coaches in their early 20s. "There's definitely things that he'll have to learn, but it's not nuclear physics. There's differences in the game and dealing in the caliber of players, no doubt about it. But I don't think it's insurmountable, especially in the league today when you have the ability to hire huge staffs, so a head coach has a lot of help.

"Honestly, I think we have a terrific basketball operations (department), where there's a lot of people who have the ability to help and will."

About the writer: The Bee's Sam Amick can be reached at (916) 326-5582 or samick@sacbee.com.

If they do hire him, he will have our support, I'm sure. However, I do feel very bad for the Monarchs. Imagine how we would feel if our coach led us to a championship one season and was "promoted" mid season to another place in the organization and we had not coach. That is my main objection. I follow the Monarchs, but am not even close to the realm of obsessivness that I have with the Kings, but I still would feel almost insulted if I was a player.

chelle said:
If they do hire him, he will have our support, I'm sure. However, I do feel very bad for the Monarchs. Imagine how we would feel if our coach led us to a championship one season and was "promoted" mid season to another place in the organization and we had not coach. That is my main objection. I follow the Monarchs, but am not even close to the realm of obsessivness that I have with the Kings, but I still would feel almost insulted if I was a player.

Perhaps the players would be happy for him, since maybe it is his dream to coach in the NBA. This is a great oppurtunity for this man, I do not think many rational folks would begrudge him this career move. As for if he is qualified, looking aorund I do not see many guys sittin around with head coaching experience...who would you like

PJ
Musselman
Nelson

do any of those names make you think "title", perhaps with Coach W you have no idea what is going to happen, with the 3 guys I listed I am pretty sure I know what is going to happen, and it isnt a title.

That's one of my main issues with Whis, actually. From everything I've read or heard, he doesn't want the job anywhere near as badly as Elie or Musselman.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If he didn't want the job, don't you think he would have politely declined the interview, saying "I really would prefer to stay with the reigning champion Sacramento Monarchs"?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay... I was responding to what I thought you meant. My comment was meant to say that simply because Whisenant hasn't given the appearance to some of wanting the job doesn't mean he doesn't really want it.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I found this over at bleachermob.com:

GRANT - At the beginning of his show today he thinks Whisenant will be the coach and the only way he sint is if the Maloofs get cold feet after all this negative feedback form the fans who are against it. Napear also said he wouldnt hire him necessarely, but no matter who the coach is he will get a clean slate with me.

Mike Lamb said he is still trying to come to grips with Whisenant being the coach and Lamb got an email from a freind of his who works at one of the Dallas papers with Sam Amicks article from this morning and he wrote in the title of the email you fired Adelman for this guy? Lamb also said can you imagine all the negative backlash if the Kings go on a long losing streak next year or start out slow.

Grant says that wont matter cause the only negative backlash will be towards the Maloofs cause they hired the guy and also Naear pointed out that the GM usually doesnt hire the coach the owners do very rarely does the GM hire the coach so for all the people who say let Petrie do his job and hire the coach that is not his responsibility, he has input sure but more times than not the owners hire the coach not the GM.
If the Maloofs got cold feet after all the negative feedback from fans, I would breathe a sigh of relief - for both the Kings AND the Monarchs - you could all hear no matter where you are.

I REALLY hope the Maloofs got cold feet. It's obvious Elie/Musselman is the right choice! I mean this is not only bad for the kings(seriously, firing Adelman for this guy?) it's bad and disrespectful to the Monarchs. I mean they ARE the ones who won a championship, it's awfully rude to just go and steal their coach at the start of their season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
BMiller52 said:
I REALLY hope the Maloofs got cold feet.
We can dream but the Maloofs are businessmen. They're not going to fold under pressure from outside. They're convinced they know better and that this is the right decision to make.

Only time will tell if they were right and all of us were wrong. As I've mentioned several times, I would love for them to come out and say the whole thing was a big misunderstanding. And then? They'll announce the new head coach is Elston Turner, completely fooling EVERYONE!!!

;)

VF21 said:
We can dream but the Maloofs are businessmen. They're not going to fold under pressure from outside. They're convinced they know better and that this is the right decision to make.

Only time will tell if they were right and all of us were wrong. As I've mentioned several times, I would love for them to come out and say the whole thing was a big misunderstanding. And then? They'll announce the new head coach is Elston Turner, completely fooling EVERYONE!!!

;)
I really hope its not Elston Turner.

VF21 said:
"My feeling is that, besides a good basketball coach, he's a very smart person," said Reynolds, who has known Whisenant since the two were budding coaches in their early 20s. "There's definitely things that he'll have to learn, but it's not nuclear physics. There's differences in the game and dealing in the caliber of players, no doubt about it. But I don't think it's insurmountable, especially in the league today when you have the ability to hire huge staffs, so a head coach has a lot of help.

"Honestly, I think we have a terrific basketball operations (department), where there's a lot of people who have the ability to help and will."

About the writer: The Bee's Sam Amick can be reached at (916) 326-5582 or samick@sacbee.com.
Jerry Reynolds - The ULTIMATE "Yes" Man.....Is there any wonder this guy survived 20 years in this organization with this kind of pandering and corporate butt-kissing? Man this dude would put a positive spin on 9/11 by saying the Twin Towers need full renovation anyways....I can't believe this B.S.

Please...please....please do NOT hire this guy....

PUUUUUUHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ

Did SVG get interviewed or did they ask permission. If so did Miami grant it?

I am getting bitter need to step away. GL whiz thats all I can say right now.

VF21 said:
If he didn't want the job, don't you think he would have politely declined the interview, saying "I really would prefer to stay with the reigning champion Sacramento Monarchs"?
He interviewed for the position, he clearly, at least now, wants the job.

But this article pretty much puts all doubt to rest, he is the next coach.

pbthal said:
Perhaps the players would be happy for him, since maybe it is his dream to coach in the NBA. This is a great oppurtunity for this man, I do not think many rational folks would begrudge him this career move. As for if he is qualified, looking aorund I do not see many guys sittin around with head coaching experience...who would you like

PJ
Musselman
Nelson

do any of those names make you think "title", perhaps with Coach W you have no idea what is going to happen, with the 3 guys I listed I am pretty sure I know what is going to happen, and it isnt a title.
I didn't say that they would "begrudge him a career move." I simply said that changing coaches with NO replacement ready - or even with one for that matter- midseason, is generally a bit of a distraction. The players on the Monarchs deserve their coach's full attention during the season. They would not be allowed to openly court a coach of another NBA team during the season because of the unrest it can cause. I am sure that they would be happy for HIM. They may just as equally be a bit upset for the situation it places them in during THEIR season.

Sirius said:
Why? He's as qualified as anyone else being interviewed.
I'm really not sure why people assume this. He has never come across to me as being a very charismatic leader or much of a "gamer" if that's the right term. He's always "well, we told them to do this or that" and when asked if he is ready to be a head coach he says "Well, I think I am"........I would rather have someone who takes charge and leads...not someone completely laid back.

That's why I've been saying that our guy is MARIO ELLIE! One of the soft-spoken and unsung leaders of the Rockets and Spurs in their championship runs!

BigWaxer said:
Did SVG get interviewed or did they ask permission. If so did Miami grant it?

I am getting bitter need to step away. GL whiz thats all I can say right now.
I thought I read that the Miami Heat would not give the Kings permission to speak to SVG. I believe he's still under contract with them, technically. I can't remember where I got that idea, tho and it was some "source" of course.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
kennadog said:
I thought I read that the Miami Heat would not give the Kings permission to speak to SVG. I believe he's still under contract with them, technically. I can't remember where I got that idea, tho and it was some "source" of course.

I don't know about us specifically, but the SVG situation is odd and a little funny -- the way its described it sounds almost like the Heat have him under house arrest or something. He's "not available" to speak to the media. He's "not sure" the Heat would even let him talk to anybody until he's stayed in his room for the full 2 years. Very odd.

kennadog said:

Yeah he's still technically under contract with them I think. They wouldn't let us talk to Stan.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
kennadog said:
You are correct.

It is not yet known if the Kings will request permission to speak with Stan Van Gundy, who remains under contract with the Miami Heat after handing the team back to Pat Riley in December

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2456088