Bee: New arena financing takes shape

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/14257183p-15071946c.html

New arena financing takes shape
A hike in county sales tax could be part of a plan put to voters.
By Terri Hardy and Ed Fletcher -- Bee Staff Writers
Published 12:01 am PDT Friday, May 19, 2006

In the next two weeks, city and county leaders hope to present a multifaceted financing plan for a new Sacramento sports arena using taxpayer dollars as well as money from the Maloof family, the owners of the Sacramento Kings.

The high-stakes push is being fueled by an Aug. 1 deadline to put a public financing question on the November ballot.

"Everyone believes there's a real window of opportunity to get this done now," said Sacramento Vice Mayor Rob Fong. "There is renewed interest on everyone's part to engage on a very serious level on this issue, and we're very heartened by regional support for this project. That's crucial to the ultimate success."

Geoff Davey, the county's chief financial officer, said an arena solution needs to involve the entire county.
"It would be incorrect to assume it is just a sales tax," Davey said. "We are no more than a week or two out (from presenting a plan) because the timetable is so short."

Consideration is being given to myriad options, including a quarter-cent countywide sales tax increase, land swaps and participation by other cities within Sacramento County, according to officials involved in arena talks.

If a tax is part of the equation, by law voters must give consent by Nov. 7. The Sacramento County Board of Supervisors must approve the ballot language by Aug. 1, said county counsel Robert Ryan.

Should it miss that deadline, the next possible date that the board could schedule would be June 2008, county officials said.

Darrell Steinberg, a former state assemblyman and Sacramento city councilman working for the owners of the Sacramento Kings to broker the arena deal, said once funding ideas are on the table, negotiations with the Sacramento Kings can begin in earnest.

"The Maloofs are ready to roll up their sleeves and get to work," Steinberg said. "We want to hear what the city and county are thinking and have to say. Once that happens (the Maloofs) will be fully engaged."

With a history of several failed attempts, arena supporters are wary of providing too many details or rushing the process despite the tight deadline. Only when all key stakeholders are in agreement will a plan be made public, said John Dangberg, a Sacramento assistant city manager for economic development and the city's arena point person.

Supervisor Roger Dickinson said keeping the Kings is important to the region, but he stressed that any deal "must make good business sense. It must make sense to the public."

Dickinson pointed out that Arco Arena is privately owned and suggested that if the Kings leave the area, the region would lose the use of that facility. If a new arena is built, the supervisor said it's possible the Kings would sell the arena to repay the debt owed to the city.

Supervisor Illa Collin said, "It makes sense to put something on the ballot that voters can say yes or no."

"I'm always in favor of giving voters a choice," she said. "Maybe we'll have something that will really work this time and serve the broad community."

As funding options have been explored over the past few months, attention has turned to a sales tax increase. It's the only type of tax that can be placed on a countywide ballot without separate votes by individual cities within the county, Ryan said.

A sales tax increase would be expected to generate approximately $60 million annually, said Russell Fehr, the city's finance director. The current sales tax rate in the county is 7.75 percent.

Another crucial issue is whether a proposed tax increase is for general or specific purposes. If a general sales tax increase is proposed on the ballot -- without any details on how the money would be spent -- it requires only a simple majority approval from voters. Specific taxes require two-thirds vote and are difficult to pass.

In the case of arena funding, Davey said arena backers are considering asking for a general sales tax increase. In addition, they would include a companion advisory question on how to use the money.

Ryan said that strategy is legally viable. In 1998, the state Supreme Court upheld a Santa Clara County sales tax increase passed for no specified purpose on a simple majority vote. The same ballot included a separate measure that said extra sales tax funds should be used for transportation improvements.

The court ruled that the two measures were not legally linked and therefore the two-thirds "supermajority" vote required for specific purposes was not needed, according to court documents.

It remains to be seen whether arena backers will be able to successfully convince even a majority of voters that a new arena is necessary, despite reports from the NBA that Arco is outdated and will need replacing. The idea of public financing could be an even tougher sell.

"To me, I don't use it so I shouldn't have to pay for it," said Nora Borja, a Citrus Heights resident. "We already pay enough in taxes."

But Chris Uboma, who works in Sunrise Mall, said Sacramento needs a shot in the arm.

"I don't have (any) problem with it. It's going to attract more attention to the city. It's going to enhance the city for people to come here."

Uboma would like to see the arena in a downtown location -- a view shared by Mayor Heather Fargo. Fargo, who was unavailable for comment Thursday, believes that downtown, particularly the Union Pacific railyard, would be a good arena location, said Chuck Dalldorf, an adviser working on special projects for the mayor.

Although the railyard is still in escrow, its developer, Thomas Enterprises Inc., in March submitted a plan setting aside a large portion of the property for a sports and entertainment district. Five acres were included for an arena.

The developer is now getting permits from the city on how to use the railyard, including an arena, said Suheil Totah, vice president for development for Thomas Enterprises.

"We're getting those approvals so we could build an arena if the financing plan comes together," Totah said Thursday. "We think it's something the community and the city want to see. It will be a great addition for our overall project."

About the writer: The Bee's Terri Hardy can be reached at (916) 321-1073 or thardy@sacbee.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Darrell Steinberg, a former state assemblyman and Sacramento city councilman working for the owners of the Sacramento Kings to broker the arena deal, said once funding ideas are on the table, negotiations with the Sacramento Kings can begin in earnest.

"The Maloofs are ready to roll up their sleeves and get to work," Steinberg said. "We want to hear what the city and county are thinking and have to say. Once that happens (the Maloofs) will be fully engaged."

With a history of several failed attempts, arena supporters are wary of providing too many details or rushing the process despite the tight deadline. Only when all key stakeholders are in agreement will a plan be made public, said John Dangberg, a Sacramento assistant city manager for economic development and the city's arena point person.
It seems like they're finally doing things in the right order...

This is encouraging.

JB_kings said:
November? Wow these guys are moving fast. Lets hope they can educate the public by then.
They have to have it ready for print for the ballot by August 1st. Yes, they will be moving VERY fast. Some people are going to be working lots of overtime!:eek: I hope this finally works (*please*). If it doesn't that will truly be the beginning of the end of the Sacramento era of the Kings.

It really helps when you have the right people working on something. I think the old city manager was just a gigantic roadblock, too.

First time poster

I just wanted to point out something in that article:

As funding options have been explored over the past few months, attention has turned to a sales tax increase. It's the only type of tax that can be placed on a countywide ballot without separate votes by individual cities within the county, Ryan said.

A sales tax increase would be expected to generate approximately $60 million annually, said Russell Fehr, the city's finance director. The current sales tax rate in the county is 7.75 percent.
Now, I have always felt that if a taxpayer-funded idea that made financial sense were to come along, I'd vote for it. Likewise, if it didn't make sense, I'd vote against it. So think about this: $60 million! I'm sorry, but that does not make financial sense. There are about 2 million folks in the area, so you're telling me my share is $30/year for the next 10 years?

The Kings don't add $60 million/year to the local economy. In fact, a new arena doesn't add $60 million/year to the local economy. So show me a number that does not knock this large a hole in the area economy first.

This point will be raised during the campaign. If folks here are hanging their hats on this, well, good luck. At this point, it looks like a gigantic subsidy, if not to a family, then definitely to a facility that will hand 99% of its benefits to a single family.

If you really want to keep the Kings, I can tell you they're headed up Disaster Avenue. I think they have exactly one shot to keep the Kings; if this effort fails, they will move. And I think this particular effort, if the $60 million figure is accurate, is destined to careen hard into a tree.

Proceed at your own risk. I was thinking $5 million, maybe $10 million, if they were feeling really lucky. $60 million? Um, stop telling me to move to Oroville.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Arena Skeptic said:
Now, I have always felt that if a taxpayer-funded idea that made financial sense were to come along, I'd vote for it. Likewise, if it didn't make sense, I'd vote against it. So think about this: $60 million! I'm sorry, but that does not make financial sense. There are about 2 million folks in the area, so you're telling me my share is $30/year for the next 10 years?
A sales tax increase affects EVERYONE who buys anything in the area, not just residents. Any tourist who comes to town and buys a meal, a souvenir, etc. has to pay sales tax. Trying to break it down into per person shares just isn't relevant.

So let me get this straight, you would spend thousands of dollars to move in order to avoid paying $300 over 10 years time?
No. I will not move. Period. I've lived here since 1964; I work here; my wife works here; my kids go to school here; my parents and my wife's parents live here.

But I have been told that if I don't think the County should have a publicly-funded arena, that maybe I should move to another city, and I believe Oroville was the example.

What do you think? Should I move? I can tell you that I will not move. At the same time, I can tell you I'm not willing to knock a $60 million annual hole in this area's economy to benefit the Kings. Get that out of your heads right now.

This is the Kings one and only shot at staying. This is it, boys. And if this is the hook on which you've elected to hang your hat, you might want to kiss that hat goodbye before you leave it there. There is no chance the voters in this County will pass a $60 million tax increase. Period. We've all seen the polls, right?

I know you're all saying that the arena isn't just about the Kings, but I don't think I've seen an honest answer to this question: Would you vote to raise taxes for an arena to host entertainment events if pro sports was not involved, and never would be involved? I think the honest answer to that is no, because it's not worth $120/year to my family to make sure Disney on Ice, Motocross, and Riverdance come to Sacramento. It just flat is not.

Arena Skeptic said:
I just wanted to point out something in that article:

The Kings don't add $60 million/year to the local economy. In fact, a new arena doesn't add $60 million/year to the local economy. So show me a number that does not knock this large a hole in the area economy first.

This point will be raised during the campaign. If folks here are hanging their hats on this, well, good luck. At this point, it looks like a gigantic subsidy, if not to a family, then definitely to a facility that will hand 99% of its benefits to a single family.

If you really want to keep the Kings, I can tell you they're headed up Disaster Avenue. I think they have exactly one shot to keep the Kings; if this effort fails, they will move. And I think this particular effort, if the $60 million figure is accurate, is destined to careen hard into a tree.

Proceed at your own risk. I was thinking $5 million, maybe $10 million, if they were feeling really lucky. $60 million? Um, stop telling me to move to Oroville.

It is arguments like this that illustrate the need for a strong campaign for the arena. I have heard others make similar arguments and it always seems very short-sighted.

First, it is not the Maloofs who will be the primary beneficiaries of a new arena. It is the residents of this entire area who will enjoy great entertainment from the Kings. This is worth something to me and $30/year seems like a bargain. What other hobby or interest can I have that only costs $30/year?

Next, how can you estimate how much revenue will be produced each year from a new arena? When I think of all the interest that could be generated from a new downtown arena it does not seem like 60 million is that much money. The new arena will likely produce a much livelier downtown with many more restaurants, nightclubs etc. Is that worth anything? I contend that it is worth a bunch. How about Sacramento now being able to host big time concerts and shows that create a buzz around the city? When was the last time that this city had buzz about anything but the Kings? I get excited just thinking about the positive changes that a new downtown arena would have on the city? It is a great way to make the city a more enjoyable place to live. What ideas do you have for moving the city forward and making it a more enjoyable place to live?

What is wrong with my 25” CRT TV? Nothing - but I want plasma!!:D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kupman said:
It is arguments like this that illustrate the need for a strong campaign for the arena. I have heard others make similar arguments and it always seems very short-sighted.

First, it is not the Maloofs who will be the primary beneficiaries of a new arena. It is the residents of this entire area who will enjoy great entertainment from the Kings. This is worth something to me and $30/year seems like a bargain. What other hobby or interest can I have that only costs $30/year?

Next, how can you estimate how much revenue will be produced each year from a new arena? When I think of all the interest that could be generated from a new downtown arena it does not seem like 60 million is that much money. The new arena will likely produce a much livelier downtown with many more restaurants, nightclubs etc. Is that worth anything? I contend that it is worth a bunch. How about Sacramento now being able to host big time concerts and shows that create a buzz around the city? When was the last time that this city had buzz about anything but the Kings? I get excited just thinking about the positive changes that a new downtown arena would have on the city? It is a great way to make the city a more enjoyable place to live. What ideas do you have for moving the city forward and making it a more enjoyable place to live?

What is wrong with my 25” CRT TV? Nothing - but I want plasma!!:D
Make sure you buy the new one in Sacramento County. If the sales tax proposal goes through, you'll be helping to contribute to the arena. Every little bit will help.

:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Arena Skeptic said:
No. I will not move. Period. I've lived here since 1964; I work here; my wife works here; my kids go to school here; my parents and my wife's parents live here.

But I have been told that if I don't think the County should have a publicly-funded arena, that maybe I should move to another city, and I believe Oroville was the example.

What do you think? Should I move? I can tell you that I will not move. At the same time, I can tell you I'm not willing to knock a $60 million annual hole in this area's economy to benefit the Kings. Get that out of your heads right now.

This is the Kings one and only shot at staying. This is it, boys. And if this is the hook on which you've elected to hang your hat, you might want to kiss that hat goodbye before you leave it there. There is no chance the voters in this County will pass a $60 million tax increase. Period. We've all seen the polls, right?

I know you're all saying that the arena isn't just about the Kings, but I don't think I've seen an honest answer to this question: Would you vote to raise taxes for an arena to host entertainment events if pro sports was not involved, and never would be involved? I think the honest answer to that is no, because it's not worth $120/year to my family to make sure Disney on Ice, Motocross, and Riverdance come to Sacramento. It just flat is not.
Once again, you're over-estimating how much this proposal would cost you. It's a SALES TAX increase. That means every single thing purchased in Sacramento County would be taxed, without any regard to where the buyers live. That's drastically different than a tax imposed strictly on the residents of Sacramento County.

Next, how can you estimate how much revenue will be produced each year from a new arena?
How much does the current one make? If it broke-even or was profitable, this would be an entirely private venture. There would be no taxpayer involvement at all.

Once again, you're over-estimating how much this proposal would cost you. It's a SALES TAX increase. That means every single thing purchased in Sacramento County would be taxed, without any regard to where the buyers live. That's drastically different than a tax imposed strictly on the residents of Sacramento County.
I'd bet 90% of sales tax revenues from locals. That's true if you live in NYC or Miami or... Sacramento. Show me otherwise.

^^^ he is also assuming that we get nothing in return for the 60 million. It is an investment into the city's future. I want Sac. to keep moving forward.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Arena Skeptic - Is the 90% revenue from locals? I'm not even sure there's a way to accurately gauge that. I know when I come to Sacramento and go shopping, there's no way for them to tell if I'm from within the county or not. I do know, based on other studies, that a countywide sales tax increase has been used in many counties because it spreads the impact over more than just county residents.

Gasoline purchases include sales tax. A lot of people buy gas in Sacramento who live outside the county. Large purchases at major shopping malls include sales tax. A lot of people from outside Sacramento County come there to make those major purchases because they can get a better selection, better prices, etc. The same holds true for automobiles and a lot of other things. Sacramento gets tourists, too. And those tourists spend money. I believe some of those figures are available. They would be spending 1/4 cent more on every dollar if the proposal was approved.

A proposal hasn't been finalized yet for release to the public. I'm encouraged by the new outlook. I can't argue about exact numbers because it's all theoretical.

If you don't think you'd get any benefit from a new arena in the Sacramento arena, that's your opinion. But it is, quite honestly, pretty short-sighted. Are you also against any roads that you personally don't drive on?

VF21 said:
Arena Skeptic - Is the 90% revenue from locals? I'm not even sure there's a way to accurately gauge that. I know when I come to Sacramento and go shopping, there's no way for them to tell if I'm from within the county or not. I do know, based on other studies, that a countywide sales tax increase has been used in many counties because it spreads the impact over more than just county residents.

Gasoline purchases include sales tax. A lot of people buy gas in Sacramento who live outside the county. Large purchases at major shopping malls include sales tax. A lot of people from outside Sacramento County come there to make those major purchases because they can get a better selection, better prices, etc. The same holds true for automobiles and a lot of other things. Sacramento gets tourists, too. And those tourists spend money. I believe some of those figures are available. They would be spending 1/4 cent more on every dollar if the proposal was approved.

A proposal hasn't been finalized yet for release to the public. I'm encouraged by the new outlook. I can't argue about exact numbers because it's all theoretical.

If you don't think you'd get any benefit from a new arena in the Sacramento arena, that's your opinion. But it is, quite honestly, pretty short-sighted. Are you also against any roads that you personally don't drive on?
You aren't going to change his/her mind....look at the screen name. I live in Placer County but I work in Sacto County and would have no problem with a Sales tax and would gladly pay it to have a new arena. I have small kids and we probably go to about 10-15 events every year that don't involve the Kings. Not to mention the NCAA 1st round tournament I will be attending next year as well as several concerts. This will be the last time I post on this issue(not that anyone cares) but anyone named "Arena Skeptic" is only going to disagree with anyone who supports a new arena and frankly I have more important things to do.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Good point, Ryle. And we aren't going to get 100% of people to agree on anything, let alone the arena proposal.

I say it's Friday and someone will very quickly point out that's wrong - if you're far enough East where it's already Saturday.

;)

Arena Skeptic said:

1. I certainly didn't tell you to move. You had an irrational overreaction and went there all by yourself.

2. How do you figure that a 60 million dollar hole is being knocked in the economy?

3. Polls are meaningless. Loaded questions = loaded answers.

4. Would I vote yes if a pro sports team were out of the picture? Yes. In fact several cities did that exact same thing after they lost their pro teams. And a larger number of other cities did the same before they got a team. Pretty easy question if you ask me. This region is a pretty good sized market. #19 in the country. You mean to tell me that the #19 region in the country doesn't deserve a public arena for it citizens?

Ryle said:
You aren't going to change his/her mind....look at the screen name. I live in Placer County but I work in Sacto County and would have no problem with a Sales tax and would gladly pay it to have a new arena. I have small kids and we probably go to about 10-15 events every year that don't involve the Kings. Not to mention the NCAA 1st round tournament I will be attending next year as well as several concerts. This will be the last time I post on this issue(not that anyone cares) but anyone named "Arena Skeptic" is only going to disagree with anyone who supports a new arena and frankly I have more important things to do.
The scary thing is that I think there are a good deal of people that are thinking like this. It is strange because $30/year really sounds like a bargain to me. Am i the only one? The big campaign needs to start.

1. You didn't tell me to move. Fair enough. Guess what, though? Others have. Does that seem right to you?

2. If you raise sales taxes to the point where we're taxing an additional $60 million in sales tax revenues, any economist in the world will tell you that you knocked a $60 million hole in local spending. This one is quite easy to answer.

3. That poll was very scientific. Sorry. If you want to bring up that point with the CSUS group that did the polling, feel free, but that was a very professional poll.

4. I knew that was the answer you'd give. Oh well. It certainly isn't worth $120/year so my family can buy overpriced tickets to Disney on Ice, and I believe that's how most people feel. Certainly if the CSUS pollsters had asked that question, support for public funds for an arena would fall even further. Remember, if you ask this question here, you're likely to get at least 85% of folks agreeing with your position.

----

And, look, all I'm really saying here is that I'd vote for a measure that makes economic sense, and in my opinion, it's up to the proponents to show how that $60 million would come back to them. If even 20% of that $60 million ends up in the pockets of the Maloofs, then it's just not going to pass.

I really intended my posting to be more of a caution than anything. People WILL vote for something that pencils in, but will vote against something they think will not. And, I'm telling you, $60 million will not play in very, very large portions of the County. I mean, sheesh, if you're a resident of Del Paso or Meadowview, you know how I'd look at it? "The rich man wins again!".

If this is the way you want to run this campaign, then get on the Warriors/Lakers/Clippers wagon while there's still room, because the voters will not pass it.

Once again: 1% of those polled think the arena should be funded publicly. That's in the CSUS polling results. If that's really the campaign you want to run, then by all means, be my guest.

Remember: When the County is looking to pay employees, gas companies, and all the other bills they have, they cannot pay those bills with pride in the Kings.

The scary thing is that I think there are a good deal of people that are thinking like this. It is strange because $30/year really sounds like a bargain to me. Am i the only one? The big campaign needs to start.
Then let it begin. Because if it's $60 million/year, it will not pass.

I hope you can see this point.

Disaster Avenue it is, baby.

Would you miss a buck a year? Probably not. Then why won't everyone in Sacramento County do that for me? I have kids to raise! And, honestly, I'd spend all that money extremely wisely. Heck, I need a car; an Accord will do (I'm not into fancy cars), and have you looked at your Chevron bill lately (Holy Cow!!). I get those too!

But you guys all seem prepared to receive a lesson in biting off more than you can chew. Okay. Good luck with that. Let me know how it goes, okay?

No. I am not against roads I don't drive on. Not at all.

Except under one circumstance: Is the only reason you're building that road is so that a private company does not have to lose money on the road, so they pass those losses on to the taxpayer??

That's the deal here, the unspoken problem... These new arenas aren't doing well financially. Stockton is an excellent example of this. Go to www.fieldofschemes.com for a LOT more info on this. And while you're there, feel free to comment on Sacramento's situation. There's a blog entry for it.

ON the news the other night they said that if the arean would be in the railyard it would be a combo of private and public funds. If it was built next to the existing Arco, it could be done with entirely private funds. Unfortunately I thnk that's what will happen. I would love if they could get that one vote out of the way and get it in the railyards. That would be awesome.

Arena Skeptic said:
I know you're all saying that the arena isn't just about the Kings, but I don't think I've seen an honest answer to this question: Would you vote to raise taxes for an arena to host entertainment events if pro sports was not involved, and never would be involved?
Yes., absolutely. I go out and enjoy the events that come to the city. I want MORE events, not less.

Arena Skeptic said:
I think the honest answer to that is no, because it's not worth $120/year to my family to make sure Disney on Ice, Motocross, and Riverdance come to Sacramento. It just flat is not.
We're talking about a .25% increase in the local sales tax. Using your math, you'd have to spend $48,000 EVERY YEAR on TAXABLE GOODS in Sacramento county alone to end up paying $120.

$48,000 X 0.0025 = $120

Your house payment isn't (sales) taxable. Your monthly bills aren't taxable. SMUD, cable/satellite, PG&E, phone, Internet, insurance, water, garbage, etc. bills don't count. Unless you pay cash for your car and buy one every year, you only pay a fraction of the total sales tax for your car every year.

So, $48,000 a year is $4,000 a month - on clothing, cars, furniture, gas, electronics, appliances and so on. That's a plasma TV every month. I'm guessing you wear a lot of bling. Are you Mr. T?

Last edited:
NewMonkey said:
We're talking about a .25% increase in the local sales tax. Using your math, you'd have to spend $48,000 EVERY YEAR on TAXABLE GOODS in Sacramento county alone to end up paying $120.

$48,000 X 0.0025 = $120

Your house payment isn't (sales) taxable. Your monthly bills aren't taxable. SMUD, cable/satellite, PG&E, phone, Internet, insurance, water, garbage, etc. bills don't count. Unless you pay cash for your car and buy one every year, you only pay a fraction of the total sales tax for your car every year.

So, $48,000 a year is $4,000 a month - on clothing, cars, furniture, gas, electronics, appliances and so on. That's a plasma TV every month. I'm guessing you wear a lot of bling. Are you Mr. T?
Perfect!! Yes a 1/4 cent sales tax isn't a gigantic taxpayer contribution. Would I vote for it without the Kings? Absolutely. Do cities do this without a pro sports team? Just look a bit south. Both Stockton and Fresno did it. Kansas City has done it. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find plenty of other examples.

And yes, $30 dollars a year is an easy choice for me. I spend a lot more than that on discretionary items in my budget. About 10 lattes less a year should do it.;)

And I do understand that even poor people end up paying it too and I don't like it for that reason.

On the other hand, maybe the current sales tax funds are spent on things I don't like. I sure know that plenty of my other tax money is definitely being spent on things I don't want and going to people and businesses I don't want it to go to. That's a democracy, tho. You don't get everything you want, but you usually get somethings you do want.

I can guarantee that some of my tax money is going to something Arena Skeptic does want and I don't.

The voters are going to get their say. Isn't that the minimum we'd like to have happen? A plan to say yea or nay to?

Last edited:
Sorry, had to post one more time.....the Rolling Stones passed us by and played in Fresno this year because they have a brand spanking new 19,000 seat arena. MANY acts/bands/events are doing the same and if you don't believe me then just check.

Maloofs have said they will pay their fair share which is about 15-20% and that is reasonable considering the amount of days they would use it.

Ryle said:
Sorry, had to post one more time.....the Rolling Stones passed us by and played in Fresno this year because they have a brand spanking new 19,000 seat arena. MANY acts/bands/events are doing the same and if you don't believe me then just check.

Maloofs have said they will pay their fair share which is about 15-20% and that is reasonable considering the amount of days they would use it.

U2 passed us up to.....

A Bee article a while back reported that a lot of events are passing up Arco. And there really is no where else for them to peform in the City.

kennadog said:
A Bee article a while back reported that a lot of events are passing up Arco. And there really is no where else for them to peform in the City.

Yep. All you have to do is look at ticketmaster and see all the events we are missing out on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One other consideration? The Maloofs in the past have expressed interest in the NHL. IF we had a new arena - one that could, like Staples, have a hockey game in the afternoon and a basketball game at night because the ice equipment was up-to-date and not totally antiquated like Arco's - we just might see them renew their interest. Sacramento just might have a second professional sports franchise.