Bee: Martin draws task of guarding Bryant

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14090771p-14920855c.html

Martin draws task of guarding Bryant
By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Thursday, January 19, 2006

It is, quite frankly, the near-impossible task.

Guarding Kobe Bryant? Like stopping an avalanche with your bare hands. And tonight, he's Kevin Martin's snowball to stop.

The Kings' second-year shooting guard has improved his defense significantly. They are quantum leaps in relation to his college days at Western Carolina, where scoring was the one and only item on his to-do list.

But there are defensive challenges, and then there is Bryant, the Lakers' MVP candidate and the league's leading scorer who enters tonight's game against the Kings on the hottest roll of his career.

There's nothing complicated about the game plan to contain greatness: stay in front of him, contest all shots, and ask for plenty of help.

"You just go out and play the best 'D' you've got," Martin said. "You can't get down because you know he's still going to score his points, and you rely on help from your other teammates."

Kings coach Rick Adelman said Martin's maturation process is about to take another step.

"He's got to grow up quick," Adelman said. "Kevin's going to be guarding him. We're going to be putting different people on him and trying to contain him. You're not going to stop (Bryant). He's too much of a competitor."

The competitive fire within Bryant inevitably will have him taking the floor with wide eyes, eager to school the young Martin en route to another highlight-filled night. But with injured shooting guard Bonzi Wells out, the Kings' coaching staff said Martin is the best man for the job.

"I really do believe he has a better chance of staying in front of (Bryant) as anybody on our team because he can move his feet," Kings assistant coach Elston Turner said. "He has all the tools that are required to play defense, and that is athleticism, mobility, quick feet."

And while much room for defensive improvement remains, he's certainly not the same player he was a couple of years ago.
Martin admits he wasn't asked to play much defense in college. As a junior, he was too busy scoring, averaging 24.9 points per game (second in the nation among Division I schools) and using the other end of the floor to rest for offense.

"I didn't have to play 'D,' but I knew I could play it because I was quick and could stay in front of guys," Martin said. "Then I got here and learned some things. I'm much improved defensively. Defense is about energy and heart and if you want to do it. I've got all the attributes, and you've just got to have energy and heart."

Lessons came quickly after the Kings drafted Martin in June 2004. In his second preseason game, he faced Bryant for the first time. In a Lakers rout, he helped hold Bryant to 10 points on 2-of-10 shooting in 33 minutes. This preseason, Bryant scored 24 points against Martin and teammates in a 105-103 Lakers win.

"My first time meeting him, I was a little shy, but this time it will be different matching up with him for 40 minutes," Martin said. "I'll watch a lot of film." After tonight's game, he hopes this is film worth watching again.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be interesting to watch Kevin against Kobe. I think Kobe will be surprised at Kevin's quickness. At least Kevin is realistic in his expectations about Kobe scoring. Go Kings

kobe can post-up down low, can't he? it is not as if martin will be guarding ai. unfortunately, kobe is much stronger and is likely to have a field day if not double teamed when he decides to post up.

Kobe usually doesn't like to post up, I expect him to drive the ball to get to the free throw line and take alot of jumpers. Hopefully, his shooting will be off.

twocents said:
kobe can post-up down low, can't he? it is not as if martin will be guarding ai. unfortunately, kobe is much stronger and is likely to have a field day if not double teamed when he decides to post up.
Lately every day has been a field day for Bryant. He's smoking every defender in the league. Martin will give him as much trouble as anyone, but he'll still probably go for > 35.

The Kevin/Kobe match-up is definitly going to be the focus of tonights game. Kevin has been playing quite well, and I think he's going to give Kobe a lot of grief! Yes Kobe has been playing well, but so has Kev and his quickness is what is going to over-shadow Kobe tonight.
Go Kings Go Go Kings Go Go Kings Go Go Kings Go Go Kings Go

serious kings fan said:
The Kevin/Kobe match-up is definitly going to be the focus of tonights game. Kevin has been playing quite well, and I think he's going to give Kobe a lot of grief! Yes Kobe has been playing well, but so has Kev and his quickness is what is going to over-shadow Kobe tonight.
Go Kings Go Go Kings Go Go Kings Go Go Kings Go Go Kings Go
you can't be serious?! :p

A

AriesMar27

man this matchup isnt even funny... but as long as parker doesnt go for 20 we should be fine.... its the bibby/parker matchup that worries me the most since i here around these parts that peja will be playing.....

piksi

Hall of Famer
Mad Iron said:
Where's the "how much are we going to lose by?" poll? That seemed to be good luck last time... :D
Well, puting such a poll against Lakers - would cause a major heat. We are not going to lose. PERIOD

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kupman said:
Is there any chance that Jason Hart will spend time guarding Kobe given that he is out best defender or is he too short?
Oh lord. Shoot me now.

If Jason Hart is the only real hope the Kings have to stop Kobe, they are soooooo doomed.

Kevin is fast and he's tenacious. Kobe is frustratable. If Kevin can just slow Kobe to a 25-30 pt. night I'll consider it a job well done. It's going to be up to the rest of the team to worry about the guys NOT named Kobe.

VF21 said:
Oh lord. Shoot me now.

If Jason Hart is the only real hope the Kings have to stop Kobe, they are soooooo doomed.

Kevin is fast and he's tenacious. Kobe is frustratable. If Kevin can just slow Kobe to a 25-30 pt. night I'll consider it a job well done. It's going to be up to the rest of the team to worry about the guys NOT named Kobe.
Don't get me wrong....I am excited to see how Kevin does against Kobe. All I was asking is that given that Jason Hart is a good defender could he see some action against Kobe. Do you agree that he is a good defender? If not, why would this guy ever see the court - or is even in the NBA....it cannot be because of his offensive abilities.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Jason Hart is too small to effectively guard Kobe. His main asset is his ability to be a pest, a very fast pest. I'm not convinced he's anywhere near the defender he's being painted as...

Regardless, I don't see him being thrown against Kobe. It would be like trying to use a spritzer against a 4-alarm fire IMHO.

I think Jason is our best defender against guards (the bar is pretty low:) ), but you may be right - he may be too short to be effective against Kobe.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
quick dog said:
I agree. I think Kevin will finally make his NBA bones tonight by shocking the basketball world. Kobe will be minimized, not supersized.
Well let's just get this out there. Kobe this year...if Kobe really comes to play he will DESTROY Kevin Martin. Not beat. Not light up. DESTROY. Nothing Kevin can do about it, and he will spend most of the evening on the bench in foul trouble.

But if Kobe is just playing another game. If he just mails it in (for Kobe), Kevin can compete on both ends. He's got the athleticism if not the strength. And his recent shooting makes him much harder to guard.

But either way, its not much of a statement about Kevin as a young player. He can only do what he does, and he seems to have stepped beyond the passivity and scared stuff now. I think he'll at least compete. And that's enough. A couple of weeks back Kobe lit up Andre Igoudala for 48pts 10rebs. And Iggy's still a good young OG with a bright future despite the beating.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If he serves Kobe six HARD fouls and ends up on the bench at the end of the game, so be it. I personally wouldn't have a problem with that, at all. What I'm concerned about, of course, is Kobe getting "Kobe treatment" from the officials.

...sigh...

GO KEVIN!!!

:D