Bee: Kings clinging to confidence

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11356485p-12271061c.html

Kings clinging to confidence

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Monday, November 8, 2004

Get the latest news in sacbee.com's Kings Alert newsletter. Sign up here.
Staying three nights in one city, as the Kings just did before losing in overtime Saturday night to the Rockets in Houston, creates a lot of time to watch television and basketball coverage.

Many of the Kings said they did just that Thursday and Friday night and strongly disagreed with analysts contending the team lacks chemistry, a capable bench and what it takes to be viewed as legitimate title contenders this season.

And that was before the Kings suffered their third loss in as many games this season.

Kings guard Bobby Jackson said he was disappointed with the loss but buoyed by the way the team played and predicted big things soon.

"I can take this loss instead of those first two," Jackson said of the defeat to the Rockets compared to the previous losses in Dallas and San Antonio. "We fought hard and played hard. (The Rockets) made shots, and we didn't.

"But we defended a lot better. And once we get our act together, we're going to run off eight, 15, 20 (wins) in a row. We're just getting it together slowly."

Whoa! Kings coach Rick Adelman will take one in a row beginning Tuesday night in the team's regular-season home opener against a young, athletic 3-0 Toronto Raptors team.

Winning 15 or 20 games in a row likely is a giant stretch for a Kings team allowing an average of 104 points. However, it reflects Jackson's confidence in himself and his teammates.

Guard Doug Christie says he needs to see more of this team's development before he's ready to predict a return to elite status.

"I think all of that is still out in the open," said Christie, who, like backup center Greg Ostertag, missed all or most of the preseason. "It's still yet to be seen and to be proved. I have confidence in how I've prepared and the level I've brought myself, but this is a team game, so it's not about the individual. We have to find a way to include everyone.

"I wouldn't say this is our best squad, but we need to get into a position where we can cause some havoc, and then we'll have as good a chance as any, but the season can be tough. Things (don't) always fall in your favor."

That summed up the loss to the Rockets, in which the Kings led by 15 points in the third quarter and didn't trail for 32 minutes from late in the second period to the middle of overtime.

Kings forward Chris Webber said the team played better than it had in its first two games but was disheartened because there was nothing more to show for it.

"We played really well, and it was a big difference from our first two games," he said, "but it is not good to come home with another loss. It hurts because we played our hearts out. If we play like (that), we will be in good shape. I think we're starting to get back to our old selves. That felt good."

Guard Mike Bibby has played well in the past two games and says he has nothing but confidence in the Kings' ability to make shots, although the normally high-scoring unit has made 102 of 262 (38.9 percent) of its field-goal attempts. The Kings have made 11 of 40 (27.5 percent) three-point attempts.

Sacramento led the league last season in field-goal shooting (46.2 percent) and three-point shooting (40.1 percent).

The poor shooting through three games this season excludes only Bibby (51.2 percent) and Brad Miller (51.5 percent) among the team's core. Webber is shooting 40 percent; Peja Stojakovic 32 percent overall, 22 percent from three-point range; and Jackson 26 percent overall, 0 of 8 from three-point land.

Bibby questioned the knowledge of TV analysts. "I don't care what anybody says about us," he said. "(Shooting) is one thing I'm not worried about. We'll get things together, and then we'll see what everybody is talking about after that."

GoSACtown said:
Kings guard Bobby Jackson said he was disappointed with the loss but buoyed by the way the team played and predicted big things soon.
yay, yes, bibby, we think so too.
it's funny how people are making a big deal about the shooting percentage with a team that's known for their offense.
so now that they are fixing the defense issue, and my guess is they'll get their offense back in no time, they are morphing into an even better championship team.
i am very hopful of the future.

GO KINGS!

"I think all of that is still out in the open," said Christie, who, like backup center Greg Ostertag, missed all or most of the preseason. "It's still yet to be seen and to be proved. I have confidence in how I've prepared and the level I've brought myself, but this is a team game, so it's not about the individual. We have to find a way to include everyone."

Not trying to read tea leaves or anything, but this quote from DC says something to me, right off the bat to begin the season. Question is, who didn't prepare for this season? Or, did the team as a whole not prepare?

As for the lack of scoring, I hope it's just the Kings getting back into rhythm. Gotta figure Peja isn't going to shoot 32% all season. Whether the team's defense really improved against the Rockets remains to be seen...Rockets (or rather JVG) love to take the air out of the basketball.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
4cwebb said:
"I think all of that is still out in the open," said Christie, who, like backup center Greg Ostertag, missed all or most of the preseason. "It's still yet to be seen and to be proved. I have confidence in how I've prepared and the level I've brought myself, but this is a team game, so it's not about the individual. We have to find a way to include everyone."

Not trying to read tea leaves or anything, but this quote from DC says something to me, right off the bat to begin the season. Question is, who didn't prepare for this season? Or, did the team as a whole not prepare?

As for the lack of scoring, I hope it's just the Kings getting back into rhythm. Gotta figure Peja isn't going to shoot 32% all season. Whether the team's defense really improved against the Rockets remains to be seen...Rockets (or rather JVG) love to take the air out of the basketball.
Oh there's no question the defense improved -- the energy was way way up if you got a chance to watch the game. Just got beat by two superstars playign like it. And Charlie Ward of course. ;)

GoSACtown said:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11356485p-12271061c.html

Kings clinging to confidence

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Monday, November 8, 2004

Bibby questioned the knowledge of TV analysts. "I don't care what anybody says about us," he said. "(Shooting) is one thing I'm not worried about. We'll get things together, and then we'll see what everybody is talking about after that."
Funny, I find myself doing the same too....

P.S. Didn't want to create a new thread for such a small piece of news: Chris didn't practice today, but is expected to play tomorrow. Nothing big I guess, just some soreness in the knee so he got the "day off".....I say its a "small piece of news," because its a reality and something that we are probably going to hear a lot of this season and probably the rest of Webb's career. But, he's played to play games & that he is doing to the best of his ability.

Last edited:
"Not trying to read tea leaves or anything, but this quote from DC says something to me, right off the bat to begin the season. Question is, who didn't prepare for this season? Or, did the team as a whole not prepare?" Quote from 4cwebb

I thought of the same exact thing when DC said that comment. I don't want to make too much out of it though because the team doesn't need any more problems about whether the team chemistry is there. Bobby and Bibby sound very optimistic and it is great to hear such things. Hope Webber is well

Bricklayer said:
Oh there's no question the defense improved -- the energy was way way up if you got a chance to watch the game. Just got beat by two superstars playign like it. And Charlie Ward of course. ;)
I actually didn't get a chance to see the game...just listened on the internet. I hope that the attention to defense has increased after the first two games, though.

Its good to hear positive fedback , they must be pumped for the home opener, its wierd saying this in the 4th game of the season , buts its HUGE game.