Bee: Artest not happy with role last night

Artest calls for ball
The Kings forward is unhappy after getting too few touches, in his view.
By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 1:19 am PST Saturday, December 2, 2006
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C1

That first step? It was a doozy -- a dizzying, dominating, defenseless doozy in the Big D.

The Kings didn't have enough "D" of any kind on Friday night at American Airlines Center, where the first leg of this Texas two-step was, well, a broken one.

But it wasn't until long after the Dallas Mavericks disposed of the Kings 109-90 that the most damaging "D" of all came to the lips of its franchise player.

Discontent.

Kings small forward Ron Artest said the game was a sign that things need to change, namely his role in an offense that has plenty of capable scorers but sometimes struggles to identify the option he sees as the best one available. Himself. Specifically, Artest said he didn't have any offensive plays called for him beyond the first quarter.

"Not to have no plays for the whole second quarter, for the whole second half, that doesn't make me happy at all," said Artest, who scored 15 points on 6-of-11 shooting. "Not from a selfish standpoint. There's got to be a way. We've got to find ways to get me the ball.

"I know that's kind of selfish, but something has to happen. The organization needs to find out which way it wants to go, you know what I'm saying."

Asked what he meant by "which way it wants to go," Artest said the coaching staff and management aren't in sync.

"I think coach understands what I can do, you know," he said. "It just has to be clear between the organization and coach, at times, what type of players you have. Like in other situations, like (the Lakers), they understand who's the man over there.

"Coach and player understand. In Cleveland ..."

Artest wasn't there at the start, when the Kings came out slugglishly and the Mavericks shot three-pointers as if they were free throws in hitting 7 of 9 from beyond the arc. Artest didn't start the game because of the sore back that continues to bother him, then entered with 6:16 remaining in the first when the Mavericks were already up 21-12.

He wasn't able to stop them either, though, and the Mavericks led 38-19 after the first quarter on the efforts of the long-range game. Dallas small forward Josh Howard -- who ranks third in the league in first-quarter scoring -- had 10 of his game-high 24 points in the opening period. The Kings, meanwhile, didn't help their own cause with six turnovers. From there, it was a replica of the Nov. 16 loss at Golden State, in which they fell behind big early and kept pace in the final three quarters.

It was the second consecutive game in which Dallas scored 38 first-quarter points, and their 62-41 halftime lead was a season high in scoring for a half.

"We knew of their past history in the first quarter, but we couldn't stop them," Kings coach Eric Musselman said.

There was, and not for the first time, some contradiction in Artest's views. Just as he deemed himself the go-to guy, he good-naturedly told a national reporter in the locker room afterward to talk to Martin -- "the All-Star." Yet after hitting 5 of his first 6 shots and scoring 13 points, Martin went to the bench midway through the third quarter with the rest of the starters as Dallas' lead grew to 32 points. None of the Kings' starters played in the fourth quarter.

"I thought our subs played hard, and I knew we had a game tonight (at San Antonio) as well," Musselman said.

Martin, who was frustrated by being benched because of poor play in a victory over the Clippers on Tuesday, said he understood the decision this time.

"We weren't getting it done as a group, so we deserved to be over there," he said.

Artest, however, stayed in despite his sore back. It was the continuation of a trend that has taken place for much of the season -- Artest subbing himself in and out of games.

"I wanted to win," he said. "No matter what the score is, I don't want to give up. We could've come back and won."

The Bee's Sam Amick can be reached at samick@sacbee.com.

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/86436.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Frustrated

I think that Ron's just frustrated because we got handled by the Mavs. When a team is losing something has to change and adjustments have to be made, and he's just looking for ways to make the team tough and competitive.

While Ron is correct, that he can be a dominant force, I really hope that Mussellman realizes that he is currently missusing KMart, and gives him the reigns of the offense.

The Mavs are really good too, so it will be a while before we can put up a fight against them anyways. Maybe next time we face them we'll have all of our horses rolling (and healthy), catch them on a back to back (for them) and hopefully they can cool off...

yawn. Big deal.

With the press vultures swirling 24-7, Ron has been really good about saying the right things...he has had quite a run at being a boy scout. Nobody is perfect.

After getting humiliated by the Mavs last night, well these comments are just nothing and will blow over if people let it.

We all know Ron Ron thinks he is a Jordan/Kobe/Lebron caliber player. He has said so before.

so.... yawn

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
yep. :cool:

Not only was this inevitable, but I made some remark in the grades thread about this -- Ron only being able to go part time, apparently not starting for some conduct rule, the calls for him to back off offensively...just feels like he's losing his hold/place on this team, and wacky as he is, that's not a good thing. He was the thing that made us more than a lottery squad in the first place. And we've always known, althouhg perhaps suppressed, that he came here to be a franchise type guy, whether he truly is or not.

We are 8-6, which ain't horrible. Could be 8-9 here in a few games, or if we sneak one out maybe 9-8. Hardly disastrous stuff, but also hardly inspiring. But I thinnk we may be in more delicate shape than that, or rather Muss may be. We're lacking an identity, and Muss seems to be lacking a real plan here on how to get one. And if we start to lose Ron...

Bricklayer

We all know Ron Ron thinks he is a Jordan/Kobe/Lebron caliber player. He has said so before.

so.... yawn

Unfortunately you can't just yawn when its Ron Artest who makes that comment. Maybe of all the players in the NBA actually. He's the one who has actually shown the willingness to just walk away from a franchise if he's unhappy with a coach/role. We ain't there yet, but this is one of those rumbles that Muss had better take seriously.

The problems is - Ronny basically single-handedly blew the game against Utah by gettting more touches than Elton John on Oscar night.

Mussel showed he could not control Ron that night and it is a problem that won't go away. Bottom line is the current squad isn't that good. Duh - same old front line.

Ronny-Miller and Martin to Minny for KG and one of it's starters and I'd be happy. Our team would be better, too.

Unfortunately you can't just yawn when its Ron Artest who makes that comment. Maybe of all the players in the NBA actually. He's the one who has actually shown the willingness to just walk away from a franchise if he's unhappy with a coach/role. We ain't there yet, but this is one of those rumbles that Muss had better take seriously.
I'd be inclined to take this sort of attitude to Ron after comments like this. Nothing entirely earthshattering yet, but hopefully we just didnt experience the 'calm before the storm' effect this past year or so.

I'm just really starting to doubt if Ron is ever going to get it. He needs to take a backseat on offense. Instead he's comparing himself to Kobe and LeBron and making ominous suggestions that management needs to change things. Musselman apparently doesn't control when Ron comes in and out of games. This is just getting ridiculous.

Adelman had a way about him and I don't think Ron would've said this type of thing to the media with Rick as the coach. I also don't think Rick would've let Ron (or anyone else) sub himself in and out of games. It's kind of disturbing because Musselman was supposed to be some kind of control freak and I keep seeing these signs that he's not under control come game time.

Adelman had a way about him and I don't think Ron would've said this type of thing to the media with Rick as the coach. I also don't think Rick would've let Ron (or anyone else) sub himself in and out of games. It's kind of disturbing because Musselman was supposed to be some kind of control freak and I keep seeing these signs that he's not under control come game time.
I agree. Ron and Adelman were a great match.

I honestly just don't see ANY sort of direction or identity with the Kings. Their defense is awful, and sub in and out different guys. All of which seem to be unable to have any effect on the defensive end. Defensively it looks like a pickup game, it seems that they just go out their with no plan, just to kind of, stay in front of your man. Offensively it isn't much better. ISO ISO ISO ISO ISO. I could'nt count how many times it was one guy, dribble dribble dribble, jump shot with hand in face. Pass to Shareef, who twists and turns for like 19 seconds, and either travels or throws up an awful looking shot. There's no motion, no cutting, no high post, no nothing. It makes me wonder what they actually do in practice. Because they just look like a pickup team who happened to be superiorly skilled to those who play on the playgrounds. As a side note, this makes me very nervous. I can't stand watching Ron jack up shots one on one all day. How is it that Ron wants more shots when Kevin is only getting SIX SHOTS! Jesus, it's ridiculous. If I was K-Mart I would be so frustrated right now, yet it's Ron who's saying he needs the ball more? :sigh:

Last edited:
I honestly just don't see ANY sort of direction or identity with the Kings. Their defense is awful, and sub in and out different guys. All of which seem to be unable to have any effect on the defensive end. Defensively it looks like a pickup game, it seems that they just go out their with no plan, just to kind of, stay in front of your man. Offensively it isn't much better. ISO ISO ISO ISO ISO. I could'nt count how many times it was one guy, dribble dribble dribble, jump shot with hand in face. Pass to Shareef, who twists and turns for like 19 seconds, and either travels or throws up an awful looking shot. There's no motion, no cutting, no high post, no nothing. It makes me wonder what they actually do in practice. Because they just look like a pickup team who happened to be superiorly skilled to those who play on the playgrounds.
I'm not sure I agree with the defense part. There is definitely a scheme in place on the defensive end. It's a gimmicky scheme that can be exploited by a good offense, but I think it's an improvement over the last administration. The Kings are fronting in the post, rotating to help, going under screens, and switching on most screens. This keeps the ball out of the post as much as possible, it keeps people out of the paint and keeps the ball on the perimeter. That's at least a scheme. It's preventing teams from getting to the hoop at the expense of leaving jump shooters open. The fact that the Kings are even a decent devensive team despite having Bibby, Miller, KT and SAR at center is a modest achievement.

On offense, though, I absolutely agree -- there are serious problems. There's no strategy, no concept of who should be taking which shots. The ball goes to KT in the post, where he can do absolutely nothing with it, or it will go to SAR, who has forgotten how to pass. Bibby and Artest chuck shots. It's just a mess.

Now, part of this is coaching, part of it is ego, part of it is that the team is still learning Musselman's sets. It's going to take some time to gel. But what has to come first is the realization that Kevin is the centerpiece of the offense. Until Mike and Ron accept that it's going to be really ugly.

Last edited:
Hey, it's just one lowsy game. Let's just put it behind us. If the players are all professional enough they'll do the same and focus on the upcoming games like San Antonio tonight.;)

This needs to be taken seriously before Ron blows his top. The rest of the team isn't exactly too happy either. As all of here are saying, why the heck isn't KMart getting more plays called for him. He is an amazing shooter and hardly gets any shoots in the game. He is one of the best made shots to his attempts in the league, but yet doesn't get the ball....why is that? We are just a pile of parts, no team here with no defined identity. The defense we loved seeing in the early part of the season, is gone and there is way to much 1 on 1 being played. Muss really needs to get control here, he is losing it quick with Ron being unhappy, pulling KMart & Cisco after a few missed shots...this doesn't bow well for a young player's confidence and flow. A player needs to be able to work through a few bad shots, or just missed shots in general. KMart has shown he can/is someone special and needs more leeway like Mike gets into taking shots and getting plays called for him.

This is the first kings game i've watched since the season started. While I appreciate the effort on defense, the awffense is just terrible. It makes me wonder what the coaching staff is doing for the offensive scheme. The team looks confused on what they want to do. The coaching staff really needs to set a pecking order on who gets shots and define roles on the team. :rolleyes:

I just don't understand the defensive strategy, when it seems to be man up, and then funnel to the middle to meet Kenny Thomas, Brad Miller, or Shareef. That is not a very good defensive strategy. I would love to see some more trapping. Use the fact that you're playing small ball to use the speed and trap people, and then use Salmons and Artest to physically punk people. What I have been seeing is help defense, but as soon as guy 1 goes to help, guy 1's man is not picked up. Pretty typical of a pickup game if you ask me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ademan knew how to work WITH his players. Musselman all too often already appears to be working in spite of his players.

Don't really get it, Ron seems to be defending Muss and blaming it on "management". What does that mean? The roster? The dictate to Muss from above, and if so, how on Earth would Ron be privvy to that?

One think that I know, as has been mentioned on kf.com before, Muss is more like Rick Carlisle then like Rick Adelman, so there was always potential for Ron to turn against the coach.

At any rate, it was a bad loss and Ron being upset is not such a bad thing. We need Ron to stay focused and productive. For all his faults and demons he is still the best player we have. Making him happy is not the worst thing that we can do.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Remember the first rule of watching Ron Artest basketball:

Pay NO attention to what he says. That's what the Pacer fans said, and that's what I'm doing.

With the sincere and heartfelt hope that the other stuff the Pacer fans said won't come to pass.

;)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm guessing this is a 30 point loss talking...Pair that with a frustrating back injury, and the fact that just about everything that could be described as "bad basketball" happened in the span of 48 minutes, Im guessing this is simply a one-time boiling point.

If he ever says something like this after a win when he only takes 7 shots, then I will start getting nervous.

Bricklayer

Don't really get it, Ron seems to be defending Muss and blaming it on "management". What does that mean? The roster? The dictate to Muss from above, and if so, how on Earth would Ron be privvy to that?

Some random thoughts/possibilities:

1) this was some sort of backwards appeal to management to step in and explain to the young coach how it is gonna be
2) in his efforts to control Ron could Muss have resorted to blaming it on word from above? As in "hey Ron, I think you;re great, but management says..."
3) the Kevin Martin phenomenon. Playing off my pet theory of course, but they are marketing Keivn hard, every time I hear the Kings announcers I think they are going to have to excuse themselves to go to the bathroom and get a baby wipe, and maybe that is making Ron insecure. Maybe he is even trying to send a message to Kings management about it of the remember which side your bread is buttered on variety. He's several times referred to Kevin as "All Star", which I took as a compliment, but maybe he just got tired of hearing it and so was almost mocking? dynamic exactly.

1) this was some sort of backwards appeal to management to step in and explain to the young coach how it is gonna be
2) in his efforts to control Ron could Muss have resorted to blaming it on word from above? As in "hey Ron, I think you;re great, but management says..."
3) the Kevin Martin phenomenon. Playing off my pet theory of course, but they are marketing Keivn hard, every time I hear the Kings announcers I think they are going to have to excuse themselves to go to the bathroom and get a baby wipe, and maybe that is making Ron insecure. Maybe he is even trying to send a message to Kings management about it of the remember which side your bread is buttered on variety. He's several times referred to Kevin as "All Star", which I took as a compliment, but maybe he just got tired of hearing it and so was almost mocking? dynamic exactly.
I think what's most interesting is that the first purveyor of your Kevin vs. Ron theory might be Ron. And here I thought it was going to be a hasty fan.

All very good possibilites, 1 and 2 occured to me as well. 3 is really scary to me. That's Webber-Pedja all over again. Not an out-and-out rivarly in the "It's me or him" mold, but quiet, slow-burning resentment.

So, just in case that it is 3. let me be the first to openly declare my player loyalties: We need them both, we need them as 1-2. Ron (1) and Kevin (2). Give Ron touches, create for Kevin.

And yes, Kevin will be an All Star. Next year if not this year.