Because some people can't not keep bringing up Cousins (split from the Playoff Standings Watch thread)

To me Luka is very similar to DMC but to a greater level in terms of the numbers he puts up:

• Constant whining, complaining, scowling, etc.
  • Extremely unlikeable
  • Very talented - hence the huge numbers
  • Doesn't make players around him better and, in a lot of cases, makes players around him worse
  • Teammates can't stand playing with him

To me Luka is very similar to DMC but to a greater level in terms of the numbers he puts up:

• Extremely unlikeable
  • Doesn't make players around him better and, in a lot of cases, makes players around him worse
After how much attention was put on Vlade/Bagley/Luka around here ---- AND THAT INFAMOUS THREAD that was like 50 pages. Glad to see a post like this.

How sweet it is that we could finish with a high seed in the west and that Luka's team could miss the play-in.. Almost seems unfair how much piling on was done in that Luka thread, n now he's sorta off the hook mostly around here now that were performing better.

I'm sure glad I root for a team led by De'Aaron Fox and Domas Sabonis, n I'll just leave it right there.

Now imagine if we had taken Jaren Jackson Jr instead of Marvin... Sheesh... That woulda been something..

Well I mean if you look at Dallas this month, 3 losses to the undermanned Grizzlies squad, their stinkiness is kind of gatekeeping us from the #2 seed (though ofc we coulda won all our games too) so I'd say an agenda is fair! :)

Also that is not a real NBA roster they lost to last night.. Charlotte has a rag tag bunch out there and they beat the Mavs who are playing for their playoff lives, so they genuinely do deserve some criticism for that.

Extremely unlikable - Personal opinion.
Doesn't make players around him better - Jalen Brunson
Team mates can't stand playing with him - Never said by any player
Extremely unlikable - Personal opinion. - It's a fan forum....everything is an opinion
Doesn't make players around him better - Jalen Brunson - he became a near all-star after Luka.
Teammates can't stand playing with him - Never said by any player - Really? How do you know this?

I get it....you love DMC. Good for you. I don't. Easily the most unlikeable player in Sacramento Kings history.

Extremely unlikable - Personal opinion. - It's a fan forum....everything is an opinion
Doesn't make players around him better - Jalen Brunson - he became a near all-star after Luka.
Teammates can't stand playing with him - Never said by any player - Really? How do you know this?

I get it....you love DMC. Good for you. I don't. Easily the most unlikeable player in Sacramento Kings history.
Lol relax. Of course I love DMC and I could care less about Luka, but there was a lot of bias in your post. Jalen Brunson got better after Luka, but developed perfectly next to him. Dorian Finney Smith developed into a great 3&D player next to Luka. Spencer Dinwiddie turned his career around in Dallas. Kristaps had some of his best seasons in Dallas. Also, I don't know that a player hasn't said they hated playing with Luka, but I also never claimed to know. You did claim that players didn't like playin with Luka and as far as I know the only people that have ever stated that are irrelevant sports writers for mediocre sports websites, not actual players.

Also, the most unlikable player in Kings history is Marcus Thornton and we will not debate that.

Lol relax. Of course I love DMC and I could care less about Luka, but there was a lot of bias in your post. Jalen Brunson got better after Luka, but developed perfectly next to him. Dorian Finney Smith developed into a great 3&D player next to Luka. Spencer Dinwiddie turned his career around in Dallas. Kristaps had some of his best seasons in Dallas. Also, I don't know that a player hasn't said they hated playing with Luka, but I also never claimed to know. You did claim that players didn't like playin with Luka and as far as I know the only people that have ever stated that are irrelevant sports writers for mediocre sports websites, not actual players.

Also, the most unlikable player in Kings history is Marcus Thornton and we will not debate that.
Marcus Thornton??? Why? I wouldn't even think of that name in that group.

I don't want to debate it either as the winner of that is not Thornton but rather Jimmer Fredette with yes DMC right behind him.

• Extremely unlikeable
He definitely whines up a storm, which is one big reason I don't like him. I can't say that he makes players worse, in general. I certainly don't think he makes star players better, but last year's Mavs' winning 52 games and beating the Suns in the playoffs was certainly impressive; wouldn't have guessed those results from the names on the roster (esp w/Porzingas missing games and playing only so-so).

His teammates can't stand playing with him? I've never heard that. (Haven't heard that they love it either.) Genuinely curious where you've heard that.

James Johnson is the only player I truly did not like. Wearing the Seattle Sonics hat in Kings locker room.

To his credit though, he said he was immature and his bad time in Sac was his own fault.

It's pretty hard to say what Luka's influence on Brunson and DFS was given that they started their careers in Dallas playing alongside him. Maybe they would have been even better without him. Or worse. Certainly, Brunson is thriving now. Thru 20 games or so in Brooklyn, DFS isn't.

KP had some of his best seasons in Dallas? Not really. Statistically, his numbers are in line w/what he did in NY and inferior to his Washington numbers. We know that he wasn't happy in Dallas and wasn't delighted playing second fiddle to Luka. Whether the problem was playing second fiddle or playing second fiddle to Luka I dunno.

It's pretty hard to say what Luka's influence on Brunson and DFS was given that they started their careers in Dallas playing alongside him. Maybe they would have been even better without him. Or worse. Certainly, Brunson is thriving now. Thru 20 games or so in Brooklyn, DFS isn't.

KP had some of his best seasons in Dallas? Not really. Statistically, his numbers are in line w/what he did in NY and inferior to his Washington numbers. We know that he wasn't happy in Dallas and wasn't delighted playing second fiddle to Luka. Whether the problem was playing second fiddle or playing second fiddle to Luka I dunno.
imaigne trying to make a case for passing on a top 5 player in the league lmao

• Extremely unlikeable
He took his national team to the heights never even approached by Slovenia before(winning Euros and qualifying for Olympics and getting 4th).And Slovenia is not as stacked with NBA players as other national teams.So he definitely makes his teammates better

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

DeMarcus Cousins isn't even the most "unlikeable" Sacramento King of the DeMarcus Cousins era. He might barely make the Top 5; he's definitely not Top 3.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
After how much attention was put on Vlade/Bagley/Luka around here ---- AND THAT INFAMOUS THREAD that was like 50 pages. Glad to see a post like this.

How sweet it is that we could finish with a high seed in the west and that Luka's team could miss the play-in.. Almost seems unfair how much piling on was done in that Luka thread, n now he's sorta off the hook mostly around here now that were performing better.

I'm sure glad I root for a team led by De'Aaron Fox and Domas Sabonis, n I'll just leave it right there.

Now imagine if we had taken Jaren Jackson Jr instead of Marvin... Sheesh... That woulda been something..
I think Vlade may have known things about Luka as a personality and been right to pass but the problem is he proved himself to be a horrible evaluator of talent consistently.

Ultimately he may be an Anakin Skywalker type figure in Kings lore. Being the GM was his promotion to Jedi, drafting Marvin over Luka was joining the dark side, and his sacking led to Monte and restoring order in the force/Kingdom.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
DeMarcus Cousins isn't even the most "unlikeable" Sacramento King of the DeMarcus Cousins era. He might barely make the Top 5; he's definitely not Top 3.
I will always love Boogie. I think he will always have a spot in my top 10 beloved players, certainly my favorite player from the drought.

I do think he and Luka share some bad traits in common. Boogie was crucified for his display of these traits while Luka has largely been praised while the bad goes ignored.

Luka's an amazing talent. He's as "generational" as it gets. That said, he does whine all the time. And it's only gotten worse as his career has progressed. Good calls, bad calls, no calls, whatever. The guy complains and gesticulates and barks at the refs constantly. In my view, he's worse than Cousins ever was when it comes to whining on the court. DeMarcus had that permanent bitter beer face, and his worst reactions were certainly over the top, but for my money, Luka is a more consistently voracious complainer.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Luka's an amazing talent. He's as "generational" as it gets. That said, he does whine all the time. And it's only gotten worse as his career has progressed. Good calls, bad calls, no calls, whatever. The guy complains and gesticulates and barks at the refs constantly. In my view, he's worse than Cousins ever was when it comes to whining on the court. DeMarcus had that permanent bitter beer face, and his worst reactions were certainly over the top, but for my money, Luka is a more consistently voracious complainer.
I think the more calls you get the worse you become because you feel entitled to every call.

See James, LeBron.

maybe less bad on the court but pretty much whines incessantly that he gets no calls any chance he can and has many of his fans convinced.

That above infographic with the lakers foul shooting is damn near criminal hahahha. I hate to even comment on fouls and certain "stats" but that one is a wee bit of an outlier... sheesh

In defense of LeBron and Luka, everyone in the arena is there to see them, so their whining to the refs picks up more traction as just thats where more eyes are on, the behavior becomes a bit normalized n so they are constantly testing the limits. N basically they get more attention than their teammates do, so the stars sorta complain as a mouthpeice for the team.

DMC never struck me as that type of guy who was constantly barking, cuz he'd have gotten himself into way more drama if he did. I didnt watch him closely is Sacramento but he was a favorite player of mine before he was in the NBA, he seemed more like give u a rotten stare or a scowl than to sit there and want to have some debate.

All that being said even on the completely blown call that costs the lakers the game vs the Celtics, LeBron IMO shouldnt react that way, I'm honestly not exactly sure how u react, I'd say probably just turn the other cheek type of deal, roll your eyes, n mention it postgame maybe but dont call the damn ref out by name like Fred Van Vleet either, thats overboard as well. Bron on his knees reaction is just overly dramatic for my tastes, can't control everything thats just how it goes sometimes... N I get that he's trying his ass off but there's just certain angles that can get blocked off from refs vision, human errors a part of the game, players are taught how to obscure the refs vision from an early age, which manifests itself into funny looking inconsistencies when theres cameras all around at every angle.

True.
Yes, he did have his shortcomings, and there were times I was frustrated with him. He played with passion though, and I loved that about him. Plus, he wanted to play in Sacramento.

I think part of the frustration was that if he cut down on the antics, he will be unstoppable. We never did give him a proper structure though; either in terms of a good team, or good environment. I think if Malone had not been fired, we would have seen an even better DMC.

Isaiah Thomas and Rudy Gay couldn't stand playing with him...and it was easy to see why at the time. Of course they weren't going to come out and make a public statement about it. One of the most unprofessional players that has ever come through the league.

I got interested in the Kings again, exactly when he was traded. Had he gotten that albatross contract, this franchise would still be sunk. Of all the flaws of Vlade the GM, the one saving grace was the decision to remove that cancer

Isaiah Thomas and Rudy Gay couldn't stand playing with him...and it was easy to see why at the time. Of course they weren't going to come out and make a public statement about it. One of the most unprofessional players that has ever come through the league.

I got interested in the Kings again, exactly when he was traded. Had he gotten that albatross contract, this franchise would still be sunk. Of all the flaws of Vlade the GM, the one saving grace was the decision to remove that cancer
There's some unnecessary presumption in this thread about who wants to play with whom. Unless there are direct quotes or reliable sources to corroborate this, it's probably better not to back up one's existing bias with speculation about the unlikability of particular players amongst their current or former teammates. Luka is a big-time whiner. Do his teammates like playing with him? I have no idea. I have yet to hear anybody claim that they do not. DeMarcus was likewise prone to serious bouts of bitter beer-faced complaining. Most of his former teammates spoke the world of him.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Do his teammates like playing with him? I have no idea. I have yet to hear anybody claim that they do not. DeMarcus was likewise prone to serious bouts of bitter beer-faced complaining. Most of his former teammates spoke the world of him.
NYK tampered to the heavens in recruiting Brunson but it's been rumored and implied he wouldn't even take Cuban's calls to retain him and that is because he felt he couldn't play in Luka's shadow.

On the other hand, DSJ and Luka were supposedly BFFs and the Mavs couldn't wait to move him which is a part of what sent the franchise spiraling rather than a slower, even keeled rebuild.

NYK tampered to the heavens in recruiting Brunson but it's been rumored and implied he wouldn't even take Cuban's calls to retain him and that is because he felt he couldn't play in Luka's shadow.

On the other hand, DSJ and Luka were supposedly BFFs and the Mavs couldn't wait to move him which is a part of what sent the franchise spiraling rather than a slower, even keeled rebuild.
I think an under-reported part of our success is that we just don't have these types of petty issues - and that's on managment. Yes - the players are quality people - but the players aren't the chefs making the soup. You can be as stand up a guy as ever, but if you don't have good leadership making sure things are on point - you will get swamped. That is what leadership, the coaching staff, the FO, is for. And they are doing a BANG UP job in that department. That, combined with the savvy moves (Kessler is included), are why we need this franchise decorated with the EOY, the COY, 6th MOY, and Clutch POY. A season for the history books already - no matter the result.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the title of this thread and the topic discussed here doesn't equate. This is a DMC vs Luka comparison in terms of on/off court demeanor, empty stats, making team better, etc.