Batten down the hatches!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Looks like we're finally going to get some significant storms. It's already raining here in the forest, although if you're watching Ch. 10 news right now the Doppler radar shows the storm hasn't reached us yet. I'm not sure what to make of that...I can hear the wind and rain on my roof. I went outside, stepped off the front porch and was immediately certain that it's either raining or some squirrels have discovered a way to dump buckets of water from the trees.

If I get snow, I'll post some pictures. The forecasts all say the snow level should be a little bit above my elevation but they've said that before and I've gotten up in the morning to a foot or more of snow on the ground.

GO STORM!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
They said Mount Rainier is likely to get 21 feet of snow. THIS WEEK. I know that is two states away but that is still crazy.

I'm vacationing in the Cascades with my wife and daughter, as we wanted to see a white Christmas this year. And we haven't been disappointed.

Haven't talked to anyone from back home yet; hopefully you guys down in the valley and the Bay Area are getting lots of rain!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I got about 3 inches of snow today. The next storm coming in is supposed to be warmer, so most of it will turn into water but that, too, is more than welcome. The next snow is supposed to come in Christmas Eve morning. Life is good here in the forest... :)

I got about 3 inches of snow today. The next storm coming in is supposed to be warmer, so most of it will turn into water but that, too, is more than welcome. The next snow is supposed to come in Christmas Eve morning. Life is good here in the forest... :)
Are you in Colfax? I know you are somewhere up 80.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
If I remember correctly, the effect of El Nino is supposed to hit us late December and early January for the first burst of moisture. This must be it. As much as I understand we can't expect to make up for a few year's drought in one year but this will be darn good. I just looked at Google Earth and this is a big 'un. Hope flooding doesn't become a big problem because the levees that carved out some space for Sacramento could be breached and that would effect 50,000 to 100,000 people. Not good.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
There was an El Nino update presentation in San Diego last week by NWS for first responders that is of interest for all californians.

here is the presentation from the National Weather Service: