Baseball talk - San Francisco Giants 2012

Sacramento is a baseball town and the Giants is by far the most popular baseball team in the area, so I think it makes sense to open a new thread to discuss any Giants stuff.

I believe we have a 88-W (84-91 range) team. I hope it will be enough.

The Good:
- Fantastic 1-2-3 SP punch and solid #4 (Vogelsong)
- Posey is back and fairly healthy
- Much more speed this year, Blanco gives OF security, Melky is in shape and super ready
-Wilson is not 100% but much healthier, showed good control

The Bad:
- Offence is still average
- RPs have not looked good this spring and we consider them the best in the game
- Back-up catchers have holes - Sanchez is not ready defensively, Stewart and Whitey just can't hit AT ALL
- Pagan has been absolutely horrible
- Have only 4 proven ML SPs in the whole system

The Ugly:
- Italian meatball server looks like a minor league pitcher, A level at best, last year he was AAA (at least)
- Rowand contract is still there

Minor league dark horse:
Clayton Blackburn - selected by the Giants in the 16th round last year, looks like a B prospect now, has B+ ceiling!!!!

Go Giants!!!!

Final Roster:

Pitchers (12)

Jeremy Affeldt LHP
Madison Bumgarner LHP
Matt Cain RHP
Santiago Casilla RHP
Clay Hensley RHP
Tim Lincecum RHP
Javier Lopez LHP
Guillermo Mota RHP
Dan Otero RHP
Sergio Romo RHP
Brian Wilson RHP
Barry Zito LHP

Catchers (2)

Buster Posey C
Hector Sanchez C

Infielders (7)

Brandon Belt IF/OF
Emmanuel Burriss IF
Brandon Crawford IF
Aubrey Huff IF/OF
Brett Pill IF/OF
Pablo Sandoval IF
Ryan Theriot IF

Outfielders (4)

Gregor Blanco OF
Melky Cabrera OF
Angel Pagan OF
Nate Schierholtz OF

We should've won last night.

Anyways, back to today. Listening to Darren Suton broadcast for FOX is terrible. If no one knew that he was the ARI play-by-play, they certainly do now. What a homer. Apparently, the Giants were "celebrating their World Series Win all last year while the Dbacks were busy winning the division." WOW.

Also, Timmy was "humbled" last night. If you were a casual fan, you would probably confuse Aaron Hill with Albert Pujols the way he is bragging on him.

Worst part is we're down 4-0. Yay. I despise Arizona.

We should've won last night.

Anyways, back to today. Listening to Darren Suton broadcast for FOX is terrible. If no one knew that he was the ARI play-by-play, they certainly do now. What a homer. Apparently, the Giants were "celebrating their World Series Win all last year while the Dbacks were busy winning the division." WOW.

Also, Timmy was "humbled" last night. If you were a casual fan, you would probably confuse Aaron Hill with Albert Pujols the way he is bragging on him.

Worst part is we're down 4-0. Yay. I despise Arizona.
5-2 :( .. still have a chance ...

and yes, Suton is one of the biggest homers .. acting like Arizona is the Yankees ...

9 rings to 6. A's beat giants 3 times in the world series most notably in 89 where they swept them. A's won 3 world series in a row. A's are a way better franchise and it's not even close.

9 rings to 6. A's beat giants 3 times in the world series most notably in 89 where they swept them. A's won 3 world series in a row. A's are a way better franchise and it's not even close.
And still nobody cares about them.

I don't wanna continue this discussion and talk about your team's attendance, welfare from MLB etc. Marco, if you wanna talk about amazing A's and how they are going to win 90+ games this year, you can start your own A's thread. This thread is only about baseball and the Giants. If you wanna troll the Giants, join Dodgers and Lakers fans.

b/c they play in a crappy stadium thanks to the giants not giving up their rights when the A's were nice enough to give them up in the first place. Now they dont want to return the favor b/c they have minor league team there. Lol give me a break move the damn minor league team somewhere else and let the A's go to SJ. It shouldnt be that hard. Giants are shady as hell. If it werent for the A's they would be in a different state right now. They should be thanking us. Only reason people like the giants is b/c of their stadium and they finally won a ring after 60 years. Now all the bandwagon hoppers are taking over especially in the bay area. I never saw many giants hats til after they won a ring. Go figure.

edit: bottomline is if the A's get a new stadium here there will be a lot more fans. Same thing can be said with the kings. Nobody wants to go to a broken down arena/stadium.

Last edited:
b/c they play in a crappy stadium thanks to the giants not giving up their rights when the A's were nice enough to give them up in the first place. Now they dont want to return the favor b/c they have minor league team there. Lol give me a break move the damn minor league team somewhere else and let the A's go to SJ. It shouldnt be that hard. Giants are shady as hell. If it werent for the A's they would be in a different state right now. They should be thanking us. Only reason people like the giants is b/c of their stadium and they finally won a ring after 60 years. Now all the bandwagon hoppers are taking over especially in the bay area. I never saw many giants hats til after they won a ring. Go figure.

edit: bottomline is if the A's get a new stadium here there will be a lot more fans. Same thing can be said with the kings. Nobody wants to go to a broken down arena/stadium.
Marco, people told you to open your own thread and talk about A's there. It is a Giants thread. Haven't you noticed?? It is a basketball forum with a small SF Giants thread. If you have nothing to do and wanna troll, go to a big baseball or Giants forum and let people know about A's and how good they are. I am sure you will find friends and people who will agree with you. It is just a wrong place for it.

I'm not too worried about the 0-2 start. I already have a feeling the offense will be improved over last year. (Don't see how it could be much worse) The pitching will be there as always. We just have to get in the playoffs somehow and we should be competitive with our pitching staff. They are expanding this year, right? (playoffs that is)

I'm not too worried about the 0-2 start. I already have a feeling the offense will be improved over last year. (Don't see how it could be much worse) The pitching will be there as always. We just have to get in the playoffs somehow and we should be competitive with our pitching staff. They are expanding this year, right? (playoffs that is)
Yes .. 10 teams this year..

I am also Ok with 0-2. We lost two close games on the road. Of course, it is never good to lose, especially to your main competitor, but it is just 0-2. We definitely have a better offense this year.

0-2 means nothing in a 162 game season. So no harm done. Great comeback today even though it fell short. Great swing by Pill to get us back in it.

I'm loving our lineup. We've would've been 2-0 if it wasn't for off first innings by Timmy and MadBum.

hahaha I remember I went to a Giants/A's game back in 09 in Oakland. The concession guys came by trying to sell some ice cream (or something like that.) I asked the guy how much it was and he said like $8.00 or something... I laughed in his face out of shock and told him that "The Giants can get away with selling things for that price. Oakland can't." lol might've been wrong but man it was so true. Anyways, as others have said - this is a Giants thread. :)

Marco, people told you to open your own thread and talk about A's there. It is a Giants thread. Haven't you noticed?? It is a basketball forum with a small SF Giants thread. If you have nothing to do and wanna troll, go to a big baseball or Giants forum and let people know about A's and how good they are. I am sure you will find friends and people who will agree with you. It is just a wrong place for it.
y the hell you keep on calling me marco? damn dont get butt hurt im just stating my opinion. You act like im gonna be on the giants forum all the time. Im on this site for the kings not the damn giants. I saw the thread and commented, calm down yall damn. I'll only be on here when the A's and giants play their game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's the deal. If you don't want to talk about the Giants, then ignore the thread. Not cool to troll this one because you're a fan of a different team. Savvy?

And ....... The Torture is back :). Another 1 run loss. Offense is solid, pitching is horrible - something you do not hear a lot about the Giants.
Well it makes it even worse since we led 6-0 :( Terrible way to start the year. As you mentioned, our offense has been pretty decent thus far. However, 3 dismal outings by Timmy, MadBum and Cain. Hopefully, Zito turns it around tomorrow. Man, tough opening 6-game stretch though - @ Arizona and now @ Colorado!

April baseball strikes again. Our three best pitchers (arguably the best 1-2-3 in the game) have failed badly so far and Barry "83 mph fastball" Zito gave us 9 scoreless innings in Denver yeasterday!! I do not even know what to say :) It just shows us what curve-balls (plus-plus) can do to hitters and their timing and hand-eye coordination.

Some Giants news .. actually draft news:))

It was actually a boring one and we did not get a lot of talent. Management played very safe and got mostly low risk/low ceiling college guys. And not only college guys, old college guys. Honestly, I was very surprised by their strategy. We still selected some interesting prospects. Chris Stratton, SP, is a little bit old but he is a late bloomer and has actually good stuff. I liked that pick. Martin Agosta, SP, (local kid from Sacramento) is a sleeper - can be very good or not, also has stuff, needs to work on velocity, can be a solid #3 pitcher down the road, worst case scenario - setup, real expectations - #5. Johnathan Williamson - big athlete, amazing raw power, good RFer, has contact issues, Chris Dominguez reincarnation hitting wise, new Kieschnick, former pitcher. Okert is a big and strong Oklahoma boy, powerful RP, failed SP, lefty, no control, seen Runzler?, I personally think that he was a good choice at #148.