Barnes for MPJ

Have not thought through the details or feasability of this, and what other peices would be needed to make it work, but it might be something that would be good for both teams

MPJ does not seem to fit with the Nuggets. Yes, he can be explosive, but not the best defender and not consistent enough. Different timeline than the rest of "built to win now" Nuggets. Barnes would fit right in with his 3pt shooting, defense, ability to play multiple positions, experience etc...

For the Kings, the benefit is obvious. A possible star with the timeline more similar to other players.

Or is this something that Nuggets would be like what are you smoking?

Have not thought through the details or feasability of this, and what other peices would be needed to make it work, but it might be something that would be good for both teams

MPJ does not seem to fit with the Nuggets. Yes, he can be explosive, but not the best defender and not consistent enough. Different timeline than the rest of "built to win now" Nuggets. Barnes would fit right in with his 3pt shooting, defense, ability to play multiple positions, experience etc...

For the Kings, the benefit is obvious. A possible star with the timeline more similar to other players.

Or is this something that Nuggets would be like what are you smoking?
I'm not quite sure about MPJ. Talent-wise, he's surely one of the most amazing offensive players in the league. It's his history of a back injury that concerns me and if the Nuggets would entertain trading him, a bright young budding star they drafted despite knowing full well of his injury history, then I'm not sure we should either.

Nothing hurts me more in my basketball-watching history than seeing a player (especially one of yours) falling to injury and personally, I'm not sure talent alone is enough to justify it and if I was playing GM, I'd usually shy away from any injury-prone players.

Just my 2 cents.

Didn't they give him a max extension? So we'd have to send out more money (which I guess is fine) but we'd be stuck for 4 more years with a guy on a max who may not be able to play full seasons?

Not feeling that.
money vise its 10M short. so Holmes included for example would make the money work.

the back, yeah, thats an issue.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would need to be Barnes and Holmes for Porter Jr to make the salaries work.

This is the type of deal where if Denver says yes, you'd need to say no.

When MPJ is right, he's a huge weapon and pretty much an ideal fit with this Fox & Sabonis led Kings team. He has a nearly unblockable jump shot and is hitting just over 48% of his threes on very high volume (7.4 attempts per game) so far this season. He's also a better rebounder than HB. The ONLY reason the Nuggets would trade him is if they know he won't hold up long term.

A rare trade I don't think makes sense for either side.

MPJ upside: great 3-pt shooter, solid rebounder, and 6 years younger than HB, so he may yet improve.

Downside: major injury risk and MUCH less reliable than HB in re availability. Poor defender who offers no rim protection or ability to create for teammates. 4 more years on a 5-year, $172 million rookie extension.

Regardless of who's going the other way, if the Kings have one chance to add a long-term max-ish guy to Fox, Sabonis, Murray, etc., which I think is the case, there's zero chance I shoot my shot on MPJ.

IWhen MPJ is right, he's a huge weapon and pretty much an ideal fit with this Fox & Sabonis led Kings team. He has a nearly unblockable jump shot and is hitting just over 48% of his threes on very high volume (7.4 attempts per game) so far this season. He's also a better rebounder than HB. The ONLY reason the Nuggets would trade him is if they know he won't hold up long term.
Great fit offensively. Defensively, not so much. And, if course, you don't have to *know* that he won't hold up long term to appreciate the very real risk - likelihood, even - that he doesn't. The fact that you can't make any assumption at all about how long MPJ's body will hold up (at an NBA-capable level) takes a ton of the shine off his youth.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Porter can fall apart at any given season so this would be a huge risk but depending what the Kings would give up, I'd consider it anyway

This is the kind of move a team makes if they think they're a championship team with MPJ, but a solid playoff team should he miss significant time. The Kings are not there yet. Best not mess with the current chemistry.

I don't see any possible way the Nuggets do that. I understand the injury risk, but he's otherwise on a completely different level than Barnes at this point. It would only be if the nuggets were trying to get out from his contract, but we would need to send picks and unfortunately can't currently do that pending the Huerter trade.