Barnes achieves an old goal by sticking with the Kings

sacbee

Kings notes: Barnes achieves an old goal by sticking with the Kings

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, November 3, 2004

DALLAS - Free agent Matt Barnes took this achieving-a-goal deal to the hilt.

He had always wanted to play for the Kings and found out Monday he had made the team. Then in Tuesday night's regular-season opener at the American Airlines Center, he was arguably their most effective player.

Barnes came off the bench to score 17 points, grab nine rebounds and hand out four assists in 30 minutes. Essentially, he helped the Kings stay in the game when he was on the floor.

"He was terrific," Kings coach Rick Adelman said of the former Del Campo High School standout. "He hit three or four jumpers when it looked like Dallas had us on the ropes."

Barnes said before the game he believed he would make the team.

"I had a pretty good idea because of the way I'd played," he said, "but there was nothing for sure, so I was anxious."

Barnes really didn't hear a final word but saw other players getting called into the office and learning of their demise.

"I talked to Adelman (Tuesday) morning, and he congratulated me and told me what else he's looking for," Barnes said. "And now that I've made the squad, it's about coming out and playing well."

Barnes said he believes he'll back up Peja Stojakovic and perhaps play additional backup minutes at shooting guard. "Just help any way I can," he said.

Barnes said he has been a Kings fan since moving to Sacramento from San Jose at the age of 9.

"I was a Lakers fan in San Jose. Then I got to Sac and saw how hard the Kings played and worked and just couldn't get things to go in their favor. Ever since then, it's been one of my goals to play for them.

"I called my mom and left her a message and let her know I made it. ... (My family) said now I have an opportunity, and I have to make the best of it."

Maloofs ready to leave Dallas - Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof have been in Dallas since Friday. They watched the Breeders' Cup on Saturday, then watched the Detroit Lions-Dallas Cowboys game Sunday.

"That was the first Cowboys game we'd ever been to," Joe Maloof said. "(Texas Stadium is) a great place to watch a game." Tuesday, Arlington voters approved increasing taxes to pay for half of a 75,000-seat, retractable-roof stadium for the Cowboys.

LMM said:
sacbee

Kings notes: Barnes achieves an old goal by sticking with the Kings

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, November 3, 2004

DALLAS - Free agent Matt Barnes took this achieving-a-goal deal to the hilt.

He had always wanted to play for the Kings and found out Monday he had made the team. Then in Tuesday night's regular-season opener at the American Airlines Center, he was arguably their most effective player.

Barnes came off the bench to score 17 points, grab nine rebounds and hand out four assists in 30 minutes. Essentially, he helped the Kings stay in the game when he was on the floor.

"He was terrific," Kings coach Rick Adelman said of the former Del Campo High School standout. "He hit three or four jumpers when it looked like Dallas had us on the ropes."

Barnes said before the game he believed he would make the team.

"I had a pretty good idea because of the way I'd played," he said, "but there was nothing for sure, so I was anxious."

Barnes really didn't hear a final word but saw other players getting called into the office and learning of their demise.

"I talked to Adelman (Tuesday) morning, and he congratulated me and told me what else he's looking for," Barnes said. "And now that I've made the squad, it's about coming out and playing well."

Barnes said he believes he'll back up Peja Stojakovic and perhaps play additional backup minutes at shooting guard. "Just help any way I can," he said.

Barnes said he has been a Kings fan since moving to Sacramento from San Jose at the age of 9.

"I was a Lakers fan in San Jose. Then I got to Sac and saw how hard the Kings played and worked and just couldn't get things to go in their favor. Ever since then, it's been one of my goals to play for them.

"I called my mom and left her a message and let her know I made it. ... (My family) said now I have an opportunity, and I have to make the best of it."

Maloofs ready to leave Dallas - Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof have been in Dallas since Friday. They watched the Breeders' Cup on Saturday, then watched the Detroit Lions-Dallas Cowboys game Sunday.

"That was the first Cowboys game we'd ever been to," Joe Maloof said. "(Texas Stadium is) a great place to watch a game." Tuesday, Arlington voters approved increasing taxes to pay for half of a 75,000-seat, retractable-roof stadium for the Cowboys.
i love this barnes dude...

SacKings384 said:
It's weird... Barnes has become what I thought Kevin Martin would be... If we could get K-Mart to play... Strong strong bench...
kevin martin needs to hit the gym--HARD. until then, i dont imagine he's gonna get much playing time. thats my honest opinion. if barnes keeps this level of hustle and performance up (and its probably still too early to say that he will, but im confident), he's gonna take martin's spot for the season. i say this because kevin martin is just too skinny..plain and simple. he can blow by most players on offense with ease, but he gets knocked around on defense with even greater ease. he cant hold a defensive position against players at his position that are much stronger physically. and, considering the state of the kings defense, and that matt barnes seems inclined to play a little d, i dont think martin is gonna see much time until he develops more physically. on a positive note, i will say that i think he'll be great when he does. :)