Balancing our roster with Indiana and Boston

I think these can be some realistic ideas to move forward towards our rebuild.

Kings deal:
Beno Udrih
Kenny Thomas

Pacers deal:
Jamaal Tinsley
Troy Murphy OR Jeff Foster

THEN

We deal Nocioni to Boston for Brian Scalabrine + Tony Allen + 2nd rounder

Kings become potential FA players in '09 and/or '11 and add productive pieces that FIT our roster.

Re-sign IKE

Kings new roster:
C: Spencer Hawes, Murphy(Foster), Scalabrine
PF: Thompson, Ike, Brockman
SF: Garcia, Greene, Casspi
SG: Martin, Allen
PG: Evans, Tinsley, Rodriguez

We lop off some long term contracts and make a splash in 2011 while making our team much more balances and competitive during the next two seasons.

Hell no.

You're talking about giving up a pretty decent trade piece (KT) and Beno for either a 29 year old power forward who has no place on the roster or a 32 year old center who has no place on the roster, combined with a completely insane 31 year old point guard who... wait for it.... has no place on the roster. It would be one thing if the contracts made this worthwhile, but neither Foster nor Tinsley is expiring until 2011.

Doing nothing and hoping Beno gets better is vastly preferable to making this deal.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Eww BENO.

1) Tinsley is better than Beno, 2) Tinsley has TWO years less on his deal than Beno, 3) Tinsley now FITS better as a 'distributing type' PG.
Trading Beno for Tinsley would be like trading a tooth ache for a migraine.

Entity

Hall of Famer
What is this trading the guys we don't want for guys that NOBDOY wants. heck no. I think this should win an award for the worst proposal ever.

I'd like to look at Beno in 09/10 season. He was not good at all last year but I still hope that he can play better. Let's give him one more year before we sell him for other terrible contracts.

beno
donte
2nd round pick (2010)

for indianas

tinsley
hibbert
cash

kings line up

evans/rodriguez
martin/garcia
nocioni/casspi
thompson/diogu/brockman
hawes/hibbert

Last edited:
Why?

He's a better player, on a better contract AND A better fit skill-wise for our roster.
He also has been a BIG headache for his team throughout his career. They have been trying to trade him for a couple years now and have had no takers because no one wants the headache and disruption that comes with him.

L

Lafayette

I just say we release the players we owe money to this year if we really don't want them around. I'm all for keeping KT and Beno because we're paying them and even if they just sit on the bench atleast we have some emergency players.

I think Beno will play well this year, more control and better paced. He can score, pass and play D, we've seen it but he needs to be consistent.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He also has been a BIG headache for his team throughout his career. They have been trying to trade him for a couple years now and have had no takers because no one wants the headache and disruption that comes with him.
Exactly. I've read enough on PacersDigest the past couple of years to realize they would love to get rid of Jamal ... and it's not because he's such a prince. There are valid reasons why it's nearly impossible to move some players - at this point the very LAST thing the Kings need is to import a rotten apple for the barrel.

weve been known for taking in head aches and turning them into key players

bonzi
artest
c-webb (in his younger days probably)

would you deal with the pacers if it involved hibbert?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
weve been known for taking in head aches and turning them into key players

bonzi
artest
c-webb (in his younger days probably)

would you deal with the pacers if it involved hibbert?
Not in your deal including Donte, no, because Donte stil theoretically has a lot more upside.

But if the Pacers wanted Tinsley gone badly enough that they would be willing to use Hibbert as a chip to get him out of town, yes I would do that. Its like the Marbury situation used to be -- there is no reason to ever play Jamal Tinsely if you don't want him around. Leave him at home with KT. Cut him. Whatever.

But if you got:

Beno
2010 2nd round pick

for

Tinsley
Hibbert

I would think that's largely a no brainer. Move Beno while shortening his contract (Tinsley's is shorter) and get a big defenisve minded backup center out of the deal. And while I don't think Hibbert is great shakes, he's actually a big young center who has run the Princeton at Georgetown, and would be capable of helping run it with us. I'm not swapping Donte for him because if Donte does blossom into a major player we look like idiots...again. You do not give up on 20 yr olds with major potential even if they look shaky at 19. But I'll take the Pacers headache to get Hibbert...and then bench Tinsley or waive him. Tinsley can't corrupt the team from his living room. Basically make it into a Beno for Hibbert swap. Works for me.

Now mind you that I doubt the Pacers are that desperate to move Tinsley after already sitting on him for a full year. But hey, you never know. Maybe some other things could be worked around the sides involving our vets or KTs deal or something. And its not as if we and the Pacers haven't been frequent trading partners over the years (to neither team's benefit actually).

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

i owuld make the trade with indiana if they take nocioni..... tinsley/foster for beno/nocioni... i would do it in a heartbeat. it takes 2 years off of both contracts for almost equal value. i mean with beno and nocioni we only won 17 games.... if neither player sets foot on the court we could win more than 17 games next season. who care if they are a cancer on the team we are so bad that it wouldnt make a difference... do any of you see us winning more than 30 games next season? seriously....

Wasn't Tinsley in all that legal trouble? He was so much of a distraction and a thug, the team basically washed their hands of him. No thank you.

Wasn't Tinsley in all that legal trouble? He was so much of a distraction and a thug, the team basically washed their hands of him. No thank you.

were not taking him to play him were taking him to shave of benos contract.. and possibly add hibbert.

we can just trade for him then cut him lose via waiver.. buy out his contract which could be easier than buying out benos.

So WhAT!
I'd rather deal with that for TWO years, than Beno's wussy/untalented ways for FOUR years.

Petrie's shown a history of taking gambles on 'malcontents' and they typically pay off...

See Webber, Bonzi, Jim Jackson, Vernon Maxwell, Ron Artest, etc etc etc.

While Tinsley's no ALL-STAR PG, he IS a legitimate STARTER in the NBA, and fills a role that we currently don't have on our roster, PLUS he saves us 13 million on Beno's deal ALONE. Which could make us players in the '09, '10 or '11 FA periods, depending on what or how we decide to advance our roster.

It gives us MORE control of our OWN future.

i dont think pacers would give up hibbert to give up tinsley.
i think this is a more realistic trade scenario

Kings Send:
Beno
Nocioni

Pacers Send:
Tinsley
Hibbert

i think thats a great deal for both teams. i'd take it in a heartbeat.

tinsley is a proven starter and an upgrade from beno
i think it all depends on how bad pacers wanna get rid of him
we prolly can get in with a cheaper price.
i wouldnt mind getting rush in the deal too.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
People pointing out that we've had success rehabbing problem children are forgetting the main component of that success is now coaching in Houston.